Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Track Talk: I’m Gonna Drive
Posted by: René ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:35

Comments, input and alterations are very welcome!
________________________________________________________________________________

I’m Gonna Drive
(Mick Jagger / Keith Richards)

Windmill Lane Recording Studios, Dublin, Ireland, December 1993 and
Right Track Studios, New York City, New York, US, spring 1994

Mick Jagger - lead vocals, acoustic guitar
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ron Wood - electric slide guitar, harmony vocals
Darryl Jones - bass

I've got itchy fingers, I've got muddy feet
And my mind is wanderin' in the steamin' heat
My head is swimmin', full of dirty lies
I'm tired of spinnin' freaky alibis

I need open spaces to clear my head
Need a clearer view on the road ahead
Need to fill my tank, check the oil
Fix the air conditioner or I'm gonna boil
I'm gonna drive, I'm gonna drive to the edge of this world, oh yeah

I've seen fire, disaster and hurricane
And sad eyed people and dirty dreams
And battered suit cases and cryin' kids
And resignation at how life is
And easy money and wine that flows
And pretty pictures of sailing boats
And double dealers, who take it back
And fishing muddy daughters and throw it back
I'm gonna drive, I'm gonna drive
I'm gonna ride, I'm gonna drive to the edge of this world, oh yeah, baby

I'm goin' through a desert, across a plain
To the lonely mountain full of cloud and rain
Gonna scream out loud at the risin' sun
Gonna ask for pleasure when my day is done, yeah babe, hear my prayin'
I'm gonna drive, I'm gonna drive
I'm gonna ride, I'm gonna drive
Yeah, I'm gonna drive to the edge of this world, yeah

Produced by Don Was & The Glimmer Twins

First released on:
The Rolling Stones - “Out Of Tears” CD single
(Virgin Records America V25H-38459) US, October 17, 1994

Re: Track Talk: I’m Gonna Drive
Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:44

I've read that Keith is not on this one.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:54

This is a great b-side. Regarding the officially released outtakes from "Voodoo Lounge", it takes up 3rd spot behind "Jump On Top Of Me" in the lead, which would have made a bona-fide single, and "The Storm" in 2nd place which would have been a good album track. "I'm Gonna Drive" really has got a lot of drive and would have been welcome on the album, too. Maybe, I'd replace "Suck on the Jugular", "New Faces" or "Baby Break It Down" with it. On 2nd thought, maybe just "Suck" and leave the others on.

Let's hope that for their next album, they put the rock grooves on and turn the funk tunes into b-sides. I mean one can always hope there is still going to be a next album despite "A Bigger Bang" sounding like a very final title.

Anyway, I like this one for its groove.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2011 10:55

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:02

Bärs

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:05

Only on the single? I haven't got this one confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:38

Funnily, even if I read the lyrics, I can't recall anything of the song - how it goes...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:44

Come On
Only on the single? I haven't got this one confused smiley

Me neither! sad smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2011 11:53

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 18, 2011 12:22

Doxa
Funnily, even if I read the lyrics, I can't recall anything of the song - how it goes...eye popping smiley

- Doxa

Same for.......

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: April 18, 2011 15:08

Yes, I agree with billwebster, this one has a nice "drive" (no pun intended) and could have been included on VL, which is a strong album nevertheless.

There is a particular guitar sound in this one, which I also hear on Jump on Top of Me Baby and Fancy Man Blues ... a unique echoey twang that I really dig. Can any of you guitarists out there (maybe Mathjis?) help me to understand what type of guitar/amp is producing this sound?

And for anyone who has forgotten this track, here it is...

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-18 15:12 by drewmaster.

Date: April 18, 2011 15:47

Bärs

Listen the song her in this thread.

Keith is all over it, from start to finish. Nice guitar sound, very nice. Boogie and delay?

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: April 18, 2011 16:06

DandelionPowderman
Bärs

Keith is all over it, from start to finish. Nice guitar sound, very nice. Boogie and delay?

It was joke. ..

I wrote the same sentence (with a reference to Keno) in the I'm Going Down TT and all hell broke loose.

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: April 18, 2011 16:09

Always liked it. It's just simply rock'n roll, kind of like Highwire.

They should do more tracks like that.

Date: April 18, 2011 16:36

Bärs
DandelionPowderman
Bärs

It was joke. ..

I wrote the same sentence (with a reference to Keno) in the I'm Going Down TT and all hell broke loose.

LOL!

Posted by: donteverstop ()
Date: April 18, 2011 17:21

Alot of passion in this one.

Keith and Mick are on fire.

Sounds like they had some fun playing this too one...

Great track.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2011 17:22

it's probably the b-sideiest song they've ever done, but i guess that's beside the point....

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 18, 2011 19:58

It's the only Stones song I can think of with Ron clearly audible on vocals. I wonder why Ron sang instead of Keith.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 18, 2011 20:02

Sipuncula
It's the only Stones song I can think of with Ron clearly audible on vocals. I wonder why Ron sang instead of Keith.

keith's driving permit had been suspended at the time...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 18, 2011 23:21

Sipuncula

Ron didn't sing, he suffered a stroke on microphone and they didn't remove it. Don't believe me? Truth is stranger than fiction.

Date: April 18, 2011 23:23

StonesTod
it's probably the b-sideiest song they've ever done, but i guess that's beside the point....

You are found in contempt of court for gratuitious use of puns.

Date: April 18, 2011 23:24

Sipuncula

While he's louder here, Ronnie is also audible without Keith towards the end of "She's So Cold."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 19, 2011 04:29

Great tune. They spent all that time working on that album and just popped this one out? They should record a whole album like that.

Bastards.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:30

Drop three weak tracks on VL (critics will disagree as to which three), throw in Jump on Top of Me, The Storm, and I'm Gonna Drive, and you have a great Stones album (to which we all can agree).

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: April 19, 2011 05:40

very good song, love the line about crazy alibi's.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 19, 2011 07:16

I've either never heard this track, or it's their most forgettable ever.

Sipuncula
Drop three weak tracks on VL (critics will disagree as to which three), throw in Jump on Top of Me, The Storm, and I'm Gonna Drive, and you have a great Stones album (to which we all can agree).

no, then I think you have A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 19, 2011 08:23

Better than half the crap on Voodoo Lounge. At least it sounds fresh and rolls a bit.

Has Darryl Jones been given a directive not to be 'distinctive'? The best I can say about almost 20 years of Stones bass playing is that it's adequate. For the life of me I can't remember thinking, 'Oh, there's Darryl bringing something new and memorable to the Stones sound'. Which I guess holds true for Leavell too. After such indiosyncratic standouts like Ian, Nicky & Billy, I guess they ran out of luck. That little f'er Wyman was a lot better than he ever got credit for. I guess the Stones lost their taste for bringing in session guys to play a different horn sound, or harmonica. They've been absolutely sclerotic in the studio for too long now. If they're only going to make one more album, I hope they open it up to a few outside influences. They don't have to sound like the Stones imitating the classic Stones sound on every freaking cut.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 19, 2011 12:53

24FPS, good points of Darryl and Leavell. It sounds like the times when to add something to the Stones sound or develop it further has long time ago passed. I think this is the point both Darryl and Chuck - and whoever The Stones work with - realize without any "directives". They just try recreate the 'authentic' sound as close as possible without giving their own flavor into it.

Thanks drewmaster for the "reminder". Just listened it through, and forgot it already. grinning smiley Sounded like The Stones rehearsing their own typical sound or something. A typical VOODOO LOUNGE era track. Sounds nice in first listening just for its homely "The Stones by numbers" kind of sound (how can a Stones fan cannot love that?), but most likely it would start sound boring if not annoying after few listenings. Not interested even trying to test that.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-19 12:55 by Doxa.

Date: April 19, 2011 12:59

24FPS
Better than half the crap on Voodoo Lounge. At least it sounds fresh and rolls a bit.

Has Darryl Jones been given a directive not to be 'distinctive'? The best I can say about almost 20 years of Stones bass playing is that it's adequate. For the life of me I can't remember thinking, 'Oh, there's Darryl bringing something new and memorable to the Stones sound'. Which I guess holds true for Leavell too. After such indiosyncratic standouts like Ian, Nicky & Billy, I guess they ran out of luck. That little f'er Wyman was a lot better than he ever got credit for. I guess the Stones lost their taste for bringing in session guys to play a different horn sound, or harmonica. They've been absolutely sclerotic in the studio for too long now. If they're only going to make one more album, I hope they open it up to a few outside influences. They don't have to sound like the Stones imitating the classic Stones sound on every freaking cut.

He did the original bass intro on Live With Me, which was brought to life for the first time.

He also had a nice bass solo on Stray Cat Blues on the Licks tour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1217
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home