Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Primal Scream guitarist Robert 'Throb' Young is dead
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:10

Very sad news indeed. Throb, who was a founder member of Primal Scream was a huge Stones fan. RIP Robert 'Throb' Young.

Here's the report from the BBC website.

Robert "Throb" Young, the guitarist who helped Primal Scream to rock stardom in the 1990s, has died.

Young founded the band with school friend and singer Bobby Gillespie in Glasgow in 1984.

They hit the heights with psych-pop album Screamadelica in 1991, which included songs like Movin' on Up and Loaded and won the first Mercury Prize.

Young left the group in 2006 to deal with what Gillespie described as "problems in his personal life".

Young's former bandmate Mani posted a message in the group's forum on Wednesday saying: "Robert young, AKA the throb, passed away this weekend in hove. Truly devastating news."

Former Oasis singer Liam Gallagher later wrote on Twitter: "RIP Robert Young AKA 'Throb'. Live Forever LG x"

Author Irvine Welsh wrote: "RIP Robert Young. One of the best, the most beautiful, who WAS rock n roll. Big love bro, give them it big time over the other side. #Throb"

The Charlatans singer Tim Burgess wrote: "So sad to hear of the death of Rob 'Throb' Young… A real good un."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 19:38 by Silver Dagger.

Re: OT: Primal Scream guitarist throb is dead
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:45

Horribly sad news. Rip Throb

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: September 11, 2014 15:59

Silver Dagger
Throb, who was a founder member of Primal Scream was a huge Stones fan.

that's obvious when you listen to "Riot City Blues"

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: September 11, 2014 16:07

I loved his sharp Keith-styled rhythms. Co-Wrote some killer tunes too. Very sad news.

Date: September 11, 2014 16:08

RomanCandle
Silver Dagger
Throb, who was a founder member of Primal Scream was a huge Stones fan.

that's obvious when you listen to "Riot City Blues"

It certainly is.

Movin' On Up and Rocks are the two most Stonesy songs I've certainly heard in the last 30 years. Mick and Keith would have been proud to have written two such gems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-11 16:10 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: September 11, 2014 16:23

Very sad news, Throb was Rock and Roll

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 11, 2014 17:07

Screamadelica was one of the last album Jimmy Miller worked on and Primal Scream opened for the Stones in 2013 at Glastonbury.

Date: September 11, 2014 17:45

kowalski
Screamadelica was one of the last album Jimmy Miller worked on and Primal Scream opened for the Stones in 2013 at Glastonbury.

They also opened for the Stones at Twickenham 2003.

Re: OT: Primal Scream guitarist Robert 'Throb' Young is dead
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 11, 2014 19:50

very sad. luv primal scream.

Date: September 11, 2014 20:31

Loaded has Sympathy For The Devil running through it like Blackpool rock. Anyone unfamiliar with The Screams work should check out their self titled 1989 album which sounds like a great lost Stones album, as does Screamadelica, Give Out But Dont Give Up and Riot City Blues. One of the most important 2 bands of the last 30 years alongside The Stone Roses.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 11, 2014 20:36

RIP Throb

I must have been hiding under a rock for the past 30 years...never even heard of these guys until a few months ago when I saw them on Palladia. Some of their songs do have a Stonesy feel. I was impressed with what I saw.

Date: September 11, 2014 22:04

They did a good set right before the Stones on Glastonbury. Watched the broadcast.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 11, 2014 22:21

I saw the Primal Scream open for the Rolling Stones at Twickenham in 2003 and I thought they were pretty good.
Although, the real gem of that evening was Salt of the Earth.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 12, 2014 14:16

BluzDude
RIP Throb

I must have been hiding under a rock for the past 30 years...never even heard of these guys until a few months ago when I saw them on Palladia. Some of their songs do have a Stonesy feel. I was impressed with what I saw.

Check out Screamadelica and Give Out But Don't Give Up.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 12, 2014 17:28

The Stones
I saw the Primal Scream open for the Rolling Stones at Twickenham in 2003 and I thought they were pretty good.
Although, the real gem of that evening was Salt of the Earth.

It was a great gig that one.... Primal Scream, Angus & Malcolm and then Salt of the Earth. One of the best stadium gigs I ever went too.

RIP Robert....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-12 17:28 by strat72.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: September 12, 2014 17:46

Not a very good year for celebrities and entertainers. So many have passed away...more than usual it seems. Very sad news. The first and only time I've seen Primal Scream was on tv. They were at Glastonbury. The Haim sisters were singing backup vocals. It was a good show.

Date: September 12, 2014 17:53

Ofcourse it is 8 years since Rob and Primal Scream went their seperate ways.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 12, 2014 18:06

Sad news. Throb was a real Keith Richards disciple.

Here's his last moment of glory, on three of the most Stonesy tracks in the Primal Scream catalogue. That's him on the right hand side of the stage.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 12, 2014 22:56

video: [youtu.be]

Primal Scream 'Loaded'

Not sure how you get the full YouTube frame to post???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-12 22:57 by Father Ted.

Date: September 13, 2014 03:40

andrewt

Here's his last moment of glory, on three of the most Stonesy tracks in the Primal Scream catalogue. That's him on the right hand side of the stage.

[/quote

]Might just be a personal viewpoint but to me it's the ballads on "Give Out..
that are very very Stonesy.
On "Cry Myself Blind" there is one twist that gets me choked up every time I hear it. They been doing the chords under the "cry cry cry" chorus throughout the song; but at the end at ca 3:48 they start singing that same chorus line over the intro riff that comes back in, and it is just so good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-13 03:46 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:15

The song "Damaged" from Screamadelica would not have been out of place on any of the really great Stones albums. I had the pleasure of hanging out with the band for quite awhile when they played Seattle on the Screamadelica tour. The other guitar player (Andrew Innes) & I had a mutual good friend. I actually made them late to the stage but that's a story for another time. I think the statute of limitations is up...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 13, 2014 04:50

Another wonderful purveyor of a Les Paul and a Marshall stack leaves the arena for the last time. Sad news indeed. RIP. peace

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: September 13, 2014 14:46

andrewt

That is not Robert 'Throb' Young in the video. It is 'Little' Barrie, who although dexterous, does not have that deep feel Throb provided to the music. Robert usually fielded a Slash-like hairstyle hiding his face.

Very sorry to hear he has passed away. One of my favourite guitarists. Underrated indeed.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: September 13, 2014 15:14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2124
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home