Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
No security tour 1999 - no official video, why?
Posted by: Kuntaman ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:28

The No security tour 1999 was probably their best since Europe 1973. Great set list and great performance, but no official video released! Why? We know they taped some shows, for instance San Diego.

Re: No security tour 1999 - no official video, why?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:31

They didnt tape San Diego (they didnt even play there IIRC) - it was the last two dates in San Jose.

Presumably they just werent happy with the results. They had better nights on that tour, I suppose.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:33

They'd just had a major DVD release the year before, the Bridges Tour vid on Warner Bros. label. The DVD market was still young in 1998 so another so soon after would have made no sense.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:33

Maybe you mean the rainy San Diego broadcast from 98?
That IS a great show. Out Of Control is the best sounding version ever.
BtB tour. Not NS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 20:34 by TooTough.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:35

jamesfdouglas
They'd just had a major DVD release the year before, the Bridges Tour vid on Warner Bros. label. The DVD market was still young in 1998 so another so soon after would have made no sense.

like the stones' releases make any sense. that may have been a reason, i suppose, but if true, then why bother recording the shows in the first place?

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:35

Don't know about San Diego... but they taped the San Jose show.

Who knows why nothing came of it? Seems like they were side tracked and eventually left the idea on the table. It wasn't until the Licks tour where they took advantage of the DVD package...offering us a great box set. The same could have been done with the NS tour...with a significant documentary following their unearthing and preparation of these obscure songs.

Hope they one day decide to release the footage from this tour.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:40

I dunno StonesTod, maybe for them it's a matter of 'why not' record them? THey have a camera crew for the screens obviously, when they decide to 'document' a show for release does their camera staff double? How is it know what shows are recorded and what aren't (I'm genuinely asking, I have no idea).

Justin, that's a vid I'd love to see for sure, 1999 would have been a hell of a tour to see, and would have been a real high-note to retire on.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 13, 2011 20:41

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

like the stones' releases make any sense. that may have been a reason, i suppose, but if true, then why bother recording the shows in the first place?

When I was a goofy 16 year old fan at the time, I also wondered why we had no DVD from the tour so I called the offices of the video production for the tour and asked them. The lady said something like "they just had a DVD put out and it's basically the same songs on this tour..."

I didn't have the heart to argue with her.

Date: April 13, 2011 20:45

jamesfdouglas
I dunno StonesTod, maybe for them it's a matter of 'why not' record them? THey have a camera crew for the screens obviously, when they decide to 'document' a show for release does their camera staff double? How is it know what shows are recorded and what aren't (I'm genuinely asking, I have no idea).

Justin, that's a vid I'd love to see for sure, 1999 would have been a hell of a tour to see, and would have been a real high-note to retire on.

Hell yeah, James. My first Stones concert was that tour...so it's very special for me on that level. It's a shame that the No Security tour didn't set precedent for the following tours, eh? That tour had the best B-stage set (Route 66, Whip, Ramber).

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 23:35

Micks singing SUCKED during the NS tour compared to B2B

Date: April 13, 2011 23:38

starstar74
Micks singing SUCKED during the NS tour compared to B2B

well, he did have to postpone a few shows cos of laryngitis...was there in sacto the night it caught up with him...he was a very brave soul out there with nary a vocal chord working...thank goodness he's a song AND dance man....

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 14, 2011 00:50

A friend of mine who worked security for some of the CA shows said the sound/video guy had a VHS(remember this is 1999) delivered to Keith after every show. Of course this was just a copy I guess of what was shown on the overhead screen but still my friend was told Keith got one of these of every show on the tour. I dont know how true that is but I know he got one for those CA shows my friend worked.

Date: April 14, 2011 01:03

StonesTod
jamesfdouglas

They were obviously thinking years ahead and foresaw the interest and demand for archive releases...

No?

ah well....

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 14, 2011 01:06

When the Stones were once accused of miming (By some German paper whose name I don't recall), the Stones threatened legal action...Mick Jagger was quoted in a British paper as saying "They're idiots if they think they can win this, we record and film every show".....A week or so later the German paper published a retraction and an apology............

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: April 14, 2011 01:27

I always wanted this one on dvd but I always want every tour on dvd. I don't care if they have alot as I want them all. Mick's singing was fine at my show, in fact some of his best with Moonlight Mile and others.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: April 14, 2011 03:30

A great tour and I would love to have a video document of it. The band was tight and well-oiled, though I agree Mick's singing wasn't as consistently good as the Bridges tour. His vocal chords were probably a bit worn at that point. And I also have the Sac boot where you can hear his voice coming to pieces toward the end, but he gamely tries anyway.

Keith and Charlie were great during this tour, and I admired the daring attempt at "Moonlight Mile". But what I really loved was that it felt less like a spectacle, and more like a simple rock and roll concert.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: April 14, 2011 04:34

I have seen several shows in each US tour from 1975 on. I went to 5 No Security shows, Denver Fargo Sacremento Kansas City and Oklahoma City. From a consistency standpoint No Security was the best tour of them all. And Fargo of all places was one of the hottest shows I ever saw, It gave me a buzz for 6 months. I have been to 40 some Stones concerts since 75, but No Security ranks as my favorite tour.

Posted by: nonfilter ()
Date: April 14, 2011 05:04

I was there in Columbus, and everybody was on fire that night. I've got a really poor VHS boot of Hartford CT, and it's also an excellent show. I remember hearing about that San Jose dvd release at the time and wanting it so bad, but in the end broke down and got the vhs boot. I can't remember the name of the show, but I've posted the YouTube link on here before. It was a No Security mini tour documentary filmed in Chicago. It has the clips of the interviews in SAL. That doc combined with 3 live NS dvds would've been the best package ever offered.

[www.non-filters.com]

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 14, 2011 07:06

saw both Boston shows. The first night was great, and the second show orgasmic.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: April 14, 2011 14:10

Went to Toronto and Cleveland. Great set list. Great tour. Mick at his best...(again).

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: April 14, 2011 14:26

Kuntaman
The No security tour 1999 was probably their best since Europe 1973. Great set list and great performance, but no official video released! Why? We know they taped some shows, for instance San Diego.

Don't agree, due to Ronnie's poor plying during that tour.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Date: April 14, 2011 14:52

Gangster-of-love
Kuntaman

And unfortunately Keith's first bad tour, imo.

Date: April 14, 2011 15:02

Would disagree about Keith. If there were any shortcomings, it was probably because he was literally doing the work of two men night after night. Ronnie was never as AWOL as he was on that tour.

Date: April 14, 2011 15:12

DandelionPowderman
Gangster-of-love
Kuntaman

And unfortunately Keith's first bad tour, imo.

i don't agree. i would suggest it was keith finest hour, considering he was the only stable guitarist out there most nights....his dropoff started on the licks tour....

Date: April 14, 2011 15:26

Gazza
Would disagree about Keith. If there were any shortcomings, it was probably because he was literally doing the work of two men night after night. Ronnie was never as AWOL as he was on that tour.

Yeah, you got a point. Still, all the recordings I have heard are full of what I would call aimless soloing (and way too much) by Keith. probably due to Ronnie being missing in action.

However, one of Keith's strenghts was always knowing where not to play. IMO, he forgot that on the NS-tour.

The Shepherd's Bush-gig is a good showcase for what I'm talking about.

Date: April 14, 2011 15:27

DandelionPowderman
Gazza
However, one of Keith's strenghts was always knowing where not to play. IMO, he forgot that on the NS-tour.

the alternative being to have no guitarist playing at all? i think keith made the right call to play....

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: April 14, 2011 16:34

nonfilter
It was a No Security mini tour documentary filmed in Chicago. It has the clips of the interviews in SAL. That doc combined with 3 live NS dvds would've been the best package ever offered.

Agree!

Date: April 14, 2011 17:42

DandelionPowderman
Gazza

Yeah, you got a point. Still, all the recordings I have heard are full of what I would call aimless soloing (and way too much) by Keith. probably due to Ronnie being missing in action.

as a technicality, the shepherd's bush gig was not a NS event - it was the final leg of the preceding tour. and as such, it was a bit of a letdown of a show, setlist notwithstanding.

i hate to issue technicalities, but someone had to do it....

Date: April 14, 2011 18:32

StonesTod
DandelionPowderman
Gazza

as a technicality, the shepherd's bush gig was not a NS event - it was the final leg of the preceding tour. and as such, it was a bit of a letdown of a show, setlist notwithstanding.

i hate to issue technicalities, but someone had to do it....

ok, philly 99, then winking smiley

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: April 15, 2011 17:15

Yes,great setlists.I got a few bootlegs from the tour,the band sounds really good!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home