Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: April 13, 2011 19:00

"I love that period of the Stones when Brian Jones was really at the top of his game and was infusing all of that experimentation into what they were doing. They lost a lot when he went away." "

Yup, I copied that from the news page,
Just thought I'd say out loud how my respect for Lindsey Buckinham
just went up a notch.

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Re: Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: April 13, 2011 19:03

one of my favourite guitarists. so great.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2011 19:52

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 13, 2011 19:57

Talented guy. Like Jeff Beck plays exclusively with his fingers! Very difficult. Not a fan of his brand of adult contemporary soft rock though. Fleetwood Mac were a great blues band before he and the ladies came in and well...like I said, adult contemporary soft, pop "rock?"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:36

We all know that. No denying the business decision to have them all in was a good one, though.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 13, 2011 20:51

lettingitbleed
Talented guy. Like Jeff Beck plays exclusively with his fingers! Very difficult. Not a fan of his brand of adult contemporary soft rock though. Fleetwood Mac were a great blues band before he and the ladies came in and well...like I said, adult contemporary soft, pop "rock?"

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't call his songs off of the Tusk album soft rock.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 13, 2011 21:32

tomk
lettingitbleed

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't call his songs off of the Tusk album soft rock.

I don't buy the conventional wisdom that Fleetwood Mac was some great blues band and they ruined it all by becoming a pop band. I personally think that Peter Green-era heavy English blues stuff hasn't aged particularly well. There were plenty of people doing something similar. It ran its course and it wasn't all that brilliant...On the other hand, having a band with three excellent songwriters (Buckingham, Nicks and McVie) and a really inventive guitarist/arranger (Buckingham) is much more interesting musically to me. The combination of the "ladies", Buckingham and that great English rhythm section created something unique, while the English heavy blues thing was done by dozens of groups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 21:33 by 71Tele.

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 13, 2011 22:01

Peter Green was one of the best British blues guitarists of his generation. Very underrated. His legacy has not aged well since he had so much drug use and lack of activity for so many years. His work in both the Bluesbreakers and Fleetwood Mac was exceptional. There were maybe a handful of players in his day (late 60's) that could come close.

As far as whether you prefer the blues band or the pop band guess it depends on your tastes. As a blues based guitarist myself, I would prefer the original but hey, I am clearly in the minority. Their record sales showed that the general public prefer polished catchy pop tunes, but they always have, and always will.

Date: April 13, 2011 22:16

Peter Green was definitely one of the best. Fleetwood Mac were THE English blues band during their time. I'm glad they became what they became because some great music was given to us as a result. i doubt we would be on this messageboard if the Stones had stayed on the blues/R&B path. they would not have lasted this long.

Date: April 13, 2011 22:22

71Tele
I personally think that Peter Green-era heavy English blues stuff hasn't aged particularly well. There were plenty of people doing something similar. It ran its course and it wasn't all that brilliant...
i beg to differ. Albatross, Oh Well, The Green Manalishi, Man Of The World were all quite brilliant and not your typical 12-bar blues. The Green Manalishi is one of the most frightening songs i've ever heard.
edit: Green not Great. my mistake.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-13 22:49 by ineedadrink.

Date: April 13, 2011 22:26

lettingitbleed
Peter Green was one of the best British blues guitarists of his generation. Very underrated. His legacy has not aged well since he had so much drug use and lack of activity for so many years. His work in both the Bluesbreakers and Fleetwood Mac was exceptional. There were maybe a handful of players in his day (late 60's) that could come close.

As far as whether you prefer the blues band or the pop band guess it depends on your tastes. As a blues based guitarist myself, I would prefer the original but hey, I am clearly in the minority. Their record sales showed that the general public prefer polished catchy pop tunes, but they always have, and always will.

True about taste. For blues I turn to the likes of Muddy waters and Howlin' Wolf. The white British heavy guitar variety I find plodding and boring despite talents of some of its practitioners, including Peter Green.

I used to dismiss the Rumors-lineup mac as lightweight pop back in the 70s and 80s, but I have grown to appreciate how good those records are. I guess I find a well-written and well-constructed pop song to be more interesting than what people like Peter Green did. Buckingham and Green were certainly different types of guitarists, but at the end of the day I feel Buckingham was more interesting. He painted with more colors and textures, and in service of better material. But yes, that's just my opinion of course.

Date: April 13, 2011 22:29

ineedadrink
71Tele
I personally think that Peter Green-era heavy English blues stuff hasn't aged particularly well. There were plenty of people doing something similar. It ran its course and it wasn't all that brilliant...
i beg to differ. Albatross, Oh Well, The Great Manalishi, Man Of The World were all quite brilliant and not your typical 12-bar blues. The Great Manalishi is one of the most frightening songs i've ever heard.

I completely admit that my dislike of this type of music is my own arbitrary taste. I have had several people try to turn me on to Peter Green, but I find it plodding and boring. The fact that I am a longtime guitarist has not helped me appreciate it any better. But if you like it, great...

Date: April 13, 2011 22:38

i do like it. my point was Green-era Fleetwood Mac wasn't just straight blues. they were doing original and creative things as well. but if it's not your bag, that's alright. to each their own smileys with beer

Date: April 13, 2011 22:46

ineedadrink
i do like it. my point was Green-era Fleetwood Mac wasn't just straight blues. they were doing original and creative things as well. but if it's not your bag, that's alright. to each their own smileys with beer

I know. They were doing creative things. Point taken.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: April 14, 2011 00:49

LB is an amzing guitarist. Really fast fingering and melodic, like Knopler....really beautiful flourishes.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 14, 2011 02:08

marvpeck
"I love that period of the Stones when Brian Jones was really at the top of his game and was infusing all of that experimentation into what they were doing. They lost a lot when he went away."

Lindsey Buckingham has long been a fan of Brian's, stating a few years ago that Brian added a 'European' flavor to Stones tracks. I have great respect for Lindsey as a musician and songwriter. Cool that he gives props to Brian, indeed a rare public nod to the forgotten Stone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 02:11 by neptune.

Date: April 14, 2011 02:39

buckingham is the man

Date: April 14, 2011 02:44

oh yeah new solo album due in the fall:
[www.reuters.com]

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 14, 2011 03:52

I agree w/ 71Tele. The Buckingham era FM was more than a lightweight pop band, they were a really incredible band. The Tusk album is one of my all time favorites, and I've said before on this board that it is FM's Exile, really, their White Album. It's a great double album by a really fantastic rock and roll band. There's no knocking the Peter Greene era, but really, it is just a totally different band. Not surprising that many only like one or the other, it's apples and oranges. I'm looking forward to Buckingham's new record! Great news! The last studio album was very good, imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 14, 2011 08:49

Fleetwood Mac without Green is like some ABBA-shit, but Buckingham is right about Brian...smileys with beer Lindsey

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:00

oh yeah Lindsey Buckingham -- big fan! Love "Tusk" and his solo albums, "Second Hand News", his guitar playing, "Big Love" -- everything! Here's a Stones cover off of "Under The Skin" -- a goodun.....

I Am Waiting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-14 09:01 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: April 14, 2011 18:50

lindsey RULES!! "under the skin" and "gift of screws" tours were great shows. he plays loud noisy electric guitar as well as he plays acoustic. his 1992 "out of the cradle" album is one of the greatest releases ever. equal to "beggars banquet" or "crosby stills and nash" or neil's "after the gold rush". having watched him play ten feet in front of me a few times it is hard to imagine someone can be that good. can not wait for his new tour.

Posted by: Squiggle ()
Date: April 14, 2011 23:27

marvpeck
"I love that period of the Stones when Brian Jones was really at the top of his game and was infusing all of that experimentation into what they were doing. They lost a lot when he went away." "

And I thought I liked him before I read that....

(Actually, even though I'm a bit (a lot) of a Jonesian, I think Mick T. and Ronnie are great.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 00:14 by Squiggle.

Date: April 14, 2011 23:49

LB is tops. Excellent guitarist, and more: producer. IMO he is better drawing ther magic from others than with his own. But his solo stuff is very good too.
I just don't agree that he is that great of a finger picker on acoustic. I love what he does on electric w/o pick. But when he plays acoustic and is picking, his thumb doesn't alternate; it is almost dull what he does with the thumb. The only drawback IMO.

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 14, 2011 23:59

lettingitbleed

To be fair, one of the ladies was there from 1969, when they were still a blues band.

The soft rock direction began when Bob Welch joined, so you can't really blame Buckingham.

Date: April 15, 2011 00:00

marvpeck
"I love that period of the Stones when Brian Jones was really at the top of his game and was infusing all of that experimentation into what they were doing. They lost a lot when he went away."

Well, I think Mr. Buckingham is 100% right. The Stones lost some magic with Brian's departure. They became an Americana style rock band with MT joining them, and have pretty much stayed that way since. Musical experimentation no longer was a part of their vocabulary.

Date: April 15, 2011 00:08

I was just reflecting on Brian while driving and listening to "Down Home Girl". I assume that is Brian playing the solo. I don't think we have ever touched on that topic/solo here before. IMO it is a weak solo; I think Brian was stellar writing parts; fixed melodic lines. His forte wasn't "we're in the key of E, Brian; take a solo.."

Date: April 15, 2011 00:57

neptune
marvpeck

Well, I think Mr. Buckingham is 100% right. The Stones lost some magic with Brian's departure. They became an Americana style rock band with MT joining them, and have pretty much stayed that way since. Musical experimentation no longer was a part of their vocabulary.

I think Taylor's joining was incidental in that development. The Stones were going along with the "back to roots" wave that swept Britain in '68 and also discovered their signature "Open G" style template soon after. Taylor in fact was probably the most experimental of the five, if you consider some of the stuff on GHS and IORR, though nowhere as much as Jones, of course.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 15, 2011 04:58

nothing from the Wood era is "Americana," and Black and Blue, Undercover, and aspects of Emotional Rescue are adventurous in stretching into and mixing new genres, if not as "experimental" as what brian did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-15 05:00 by cc.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:10

71Tele
I think Taylor's joining was incidental in that development. The Stones were going along with the "back to roots" wave that swept Britain in '68 and also discovered their signature "Open G" style template soon after. Taylor in fact was probably the most experimental of the five, if you consider some of the stuff on GHS and IORR, though nowhere as much as Jones, of course.

Very true. The 'back to roots' movement was big by 1968 everywhere. Even Brian was swept by this, as he was listening to CCR and Dylan's Nashville Skyline right before his death. And, yes, MT was great with the Stones and I do love GHS because of his fluid guitar work. It's just that the Stones have been stuck in this 'back to roots' wave for 42 years!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home