Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Four Flicks Documentary revisited.
Posted by: flairville ()
Date: August 9, 2014 10:40

With the amount of material we all have I find it too easy to forget about moments of greatness. I've recently been watching the Doucumentary disc from Four Flicks and it's has some absolute gems. Worried About You from Gillette Stadium rehearsals and Keith rehearsing How Can I Stop in the Fleet Centre. Then the killer 'bootleg' tracks, Beast Of Burden, You Don't Have To Mean It where Keith is off the scale and looks as cool as he ever did, Bitch, Rock Me Baby and then Can't Turn You Loose and of you can sit still while that's on you need looking at! Enjoy all!

Re: Four Flicks Documentary revisited.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 9, 2014 13:51

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 9, 2014 22:01

It's too bad that they did such a pathetic imitation for THE BIGGEST BANG. What a waste of time.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 10, 2014 01:47

GasLightStreet
It's too bad that they did such a pathetic imitation for THE BIGGEST BANG. What a waste of time.

Now now. TBB has some great spots in it too. FF is better yes, but TBB has it's merit too. It should have been cut down to 3 discs though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: August 10, 2014 02:28

Love the slave rehearsal footage

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2014 02:29

Learnin' The Game .... ooooohhh now that's one for the broken hearted

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 10, 2014 04:05

There's some great stuff on both of those. With all the archival stuff released in the past few years I haven't had time to go back and look at it. In retrospect I'm sure it will be remembered fondly, especially in comparison to now.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 10, 2014 06:29

UnpurePurist
Love the slave rehearsal footage

a huge tease....unfortunate...Slave would be an amazing highlight if they dusted that one off and delivered it live. Killer riff.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 10, 2014 06:40

24FPS
There's some great stuff on both of those. With all the archival stuff released in the past few years I haven't had time to go back and look at it. In retrospect I'm sure it will be remembered fondly, especially in comparison to now.

I watched both FF and TBB in the fast few weeks. The live footage, not the documentaries.

Four Flicks is absolutely amazing the way it is. All of it.

As for TBB, the Austin show was really hard to watch / listen to because of the overdubs. I am not able to distinguish what exactly is overdubed and what is not, but big part of Mick's vocals somehow didn't sound live to me. But maybe it is just down to bad mix? I don't know. But it surely ruined the show for me. More than the guitars... The Rio show on the other hand was great, but the picture quallity could have been much better. After watching TBB I watched the full Saitama show, part of which is on one of the TBB discs. What a show that is. And without any overdubs. They should have released this one instead of Austin, reduce the TBB down to 3 discs and it could have been a gret release. This way it is far behind FF. And for me it is also behind Shine a Light and Sweet Summer Sun

Date: August 10, 2014 06:57

Happy24
24FPS

I watched both FF and TBB in the fast few weeks. The live footage, not the documentaries.

Four Flicks is absolutely amazing the way it is. All of it.

As for TBB, the Austin show was really hard to watch / listen to because of the overdubs. I am not able to distinguish what exactly is overdubed and what is not, but big part of Mick's vocals somehow didn't sound live to me. But maybe it is just down to bad mix? I don't know. But it surely ruined the show for me. More than the guitars... The Rio show on the other hand was great, but the picture quallity could have been much better. After watching TBB I watched the full Saitama show, part of which is on one of the TBB discs. What a show that is. And without any overdubs. They should have released this one instead of Austin, reduce the TBB down to 3 discs and it could have been a gret release. This way it is far behind FF. And for me it is also behind Shine a Light and Sweet Summer Sun

For me it's FF, and the others in descending order. There are few highlights on Shine A Light excepting As Tears Go By (a rare rarity), Live With Me with Christina Aguilera, and Buddy Guy for Champagne & Reefer. I'm still looking for a highlight to Sweet Summer Sun.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 10, 2014 07:14

It gives me hope that Mick and Keith like each other more than they let on. They are in close quarters a lot of the time here and its positive to see.

I also find Keith's "get off my plane bitch" friggen hysterical at the beginning of part 4.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 10, 2014 07:29

Agree with above comments. Four Flicks is fantastic (including Tip of the Tongue). TBB is a pale imitation by comparison.

Drew

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: August 10, 2014 07:33

24FPS
For me it's FF, and the others in descending order. There are few highlights on Shine A Light excepting As Tears Go By (a rare rarity), Live With Me with Christina Aguilera, and Buddy Guy for Champagne & Reefer. I'm still looking for a highlight to Sweet Summer Sun.

I think there are even more highlights and rather rare songs on SAL - She Was Hot, Loving Cup, Connection... As for the Sweet Summer Sun, There are no real rarities and I don't know what would I list as a highlit, but I just really like the show as the whole. It is the greatest hits setlist, but I think the quallity of performance is very good and it is beautifully filmed. So it is like if I watch the Twickenham show from FF and then I put on SSS, which is quite similar, it makes me happy, that more than 10 years after FF they still deliver. And it also brings back those great memories from this summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-10 07:34 by Happy24.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 10, 2014 08:19

....You know everybody's smilin'.. their happy all over the world
.....We make people happy, it's an amazing feeling

............................................. Ronnie Wood 14 ON FIRE - Europe Thank-You

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 10, 2014 14:22

They played tremendous on the LICKS tour.
On the A BIGGER BANG tour, they didn't play nearly as great.

In many ways, including the documentaries, ABB was seemed like a rehash.

It seemed like they achived everything that was possible, regarding shows and song-wise, with any rarities played. What was there left to do on the next tours, except doing it again or just play hits? I know they had a new album under their belt in 2005-07, but as usual they ended up playing only 3-4 new songs, as the tour progressed.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 10, 2014 14:30

Blueranger

It seemed like they achived everything that was possible, regarding shows and song-wise, with any rarities played. What was there left to do on the next tours, except doing it again or just play hits? I know they had a new album under their belt in 2005-07, but as usual they ended up playing only 3-4 new songs, as the tour progressed.

Very true. Although you could also ask the same question nowadays. You think "what could they add after A Bigger Bang tour, which wasn't really anything new?" Well the answer: "Mick Taylor and a true 50th anniversary celebration that encompasses your whole career." OK, well after that tour what more can you do? Seems like you can only regress if they continue, or at least they can't turn back from what they have. The only thing could be more former members and more rarities, which seems unlikely.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 10, 2014 14:39

Blueranger

Only one new song in 2007!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 10, 2014 14:54

I agree. My favorite Stones shows I have seen were on the Licks tour. Great rotating set lists with some amazing gems. I was surprised how good they were on their last tour in the US, and to see them with Mick Taylor, even on two songs, was a dream come true.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: August 10, 2014 16:28

The Biggest Bang could have been so much better! The concerts they included was at best decent. BUT there was some good concerts they should have included instead, like Columbus 2005 maybe mixed with some other 2005 concerts? And the second disc could have been a mashup of the best things from the European 2007 tour, even though that tour was inconsistent the 2007 highlights were far better than the 2006 highlights.

For example this video is so much better than the artificial '06 Austin concert!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-10 16:33 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: August 10, 2014 18:56

I think the 2005 leg of ABB tour had a very high standard.
With a new album in hand, they sounded sharp, fresh and raw.
It was exciting to hear new solid songs like Rough Justice, Oh No and Back of my
Hand live on stage. MSG 2005 was a killer show. And it was fantastic to watch the stadium stage/show a couple of days later at Giants Stadium.
The 2005 leg had much louder guitars up front in the mix, than what was the case with the Licks tour when the horn section dominated too many songs IMO.
2006 was also a solid year I think, but they seemed a bit tired in 2007. ABB was such a long tour.
Comparing Hollywood Bowl in '05 with Helsinki in '07, is like comparing two different worlds.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 11, 2014 00:50

RollingFreak
It gives me hope that Mick and Keith like each other more than they let on. They are in close quarters a lot of the time here and its positive to see.

I also find Keith's "get off my plane bitch" friggen hysterical at the beginning of part 4.
i think it's "get off my plate bitch" because Keef was actually eating something. hysterical nonetheless. just as the played-up antangony "where the f*ck am i? the f*ck am i?!?" FF also made the biggest impression on me, while TBB was kinda sigh. but that might be due to the fact that i got it at 15 and my grandma hat to go get it as it was age-restricted to 16 in germany because of the HTW animation. anyway i love watching backstage stuff just for the sake of it being backstage, so i find good in both documentaries. and while the whole atmosphere of the Austin footage is somehow clinical, i was more irritated that the Asia disc ("Rest of the World"-sic) is cut together so randomly. i also want to see the whole of Saitama as mentioned by Happy24. the picture quality of the Copacabana concert might be because it's just the live satellite feed on a DVD? just as the MSG concert on FF. final point: the DVD menus on TBB are just awful. enough to get senior fans so desperate that they turn off the whole thing. so by all these standards FF might be the best movie-kinda-thingy they have yet come up with.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: August 11, 2014 01:08

The Worst.
2006 was also a solid year I think, but they seemed a bit tired in 2007. ABB was such a long tour.
Comparing Hollywood Bowl in '05 with Helsinki in '07, is like comparing two different worlds.
...which might tell you something about "squeezing out that last drop of sweat." (quote Keef)
maybe not when they embarked on that tour, but when they prolonged it in '07 they were pretty sure it would be the last.
so it became on the one hand the longest tour they ever did, on the other hand the one with the most mistakes and the one
where they got notably tired along the way. but after this year's tour, who wants to hold that against them now?

edit: probably someone who has only ever seen them in Helsinki
(boy, that one is already legendary for being so bad. is there a "good" bootleg?)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 01:13 by Nikkei.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 11, 2014 01:10

Has anyone mentioned "That's How Strong My Love Is" at the Olympia in Paris?

Re the Hollywood Bowl, what a wonderful night. Never mind that Ronnie and Keith were not especially memorable. Mick and Charlie were, and the Stones'
forever loyal LA audience loved it. Most of the nice guys working in the audience, showing fans to seats, etc. were Latino...didn't know anything about the Stones but they, too, got into the music. "Fantastico," they kept saying. I was so proud! Told em where to get the best deals on Stones vinyl and CDs.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: August 11, 2014 02:04

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: August 11, 2014 02:05

Nikkei
edit: probably someone who has only ever seen them in Helsinki
(boy, that one is already legendary for being so bad. is there a "good" bootleg?)

Actually the Helsinki 2007 bootleg is really good, Not a bad performance at all, There is a great MD recording circulating of this show and I love it! Much more enjoyable than anything on TBB.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-11 02:10 by EasterMan.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: August 11, 2014 02:44

Shadooby or anyone else, why did Keith call it 'Extreme Western Grip'? What even is that?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: August 11, 2014 03:03

It's a term from tennis, regarding how you hold the racquet to serve. (As opposed to, say a continental grip.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2014 03:56

Aquamarine
It's a term from tennis, regarding how you hold the racquet to serve. (As opposed to, say a continental grip.)

Also known as the Hawaiian Grip.

Date: August 11, 2014 07:26

stonesrule
Has anyone mentioned "That's How Strong My Love Is" at the Olympia in Paris?

Re the Hollywood Bowl, what a wonderful night. Never mind that Ronnie and Keith were not especially memorable. Mick and Charlie were, and the Stones'
forever loyal LA audience loved it. Most of the nice guys working in the audience, showing fans to seats, etc. were Latino...didn't know anything about the Stones but they, too, got into the music. "Fantastico," they kept saying. I was so proud! Told em where to get the best deals on Stones vinyl and CDs.

I was there. I think that's the first time it passed my mind that they had lost a step. Get Off of My Cloud was almost embarrassing the slowed down way they played it, although overall the concert was enjoyable.

I thought I noticed a drop off in 2002 at the Staples Center but attributed that to a bad night. After the fantastic Anaheim Show in 1999, I was expecting more. Then the Dodgers Stadium show in 2006 was so fantastic that I didn't analyze it until later, and realized it was the production, and not the band that was so great that night. It really was smoke and mirrors, along with Mick having an extraordinary night.

Four Flicks does capture the good nights of that tour. By ABB Keith's voice was unlistenable at Zilker Park. He's actually gotten better in voice as his guitar playing has left the building. There can't be a multi-disc box set from the current world wide tour, because there's not even variation in shows. If you saw the Pay-Per-View (which is on YouTube), and you've seen Hyde Park, what's left? Bill looking pissed as he plays two songs they didn't even rehearse? I love Bill, but I ain't paying for that.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: August 11, 2014 07:40

Funny, I was at those gigs too. I thought the Staples show was very blah, but was encouraged by the Wiltern (of course the theatre shows are almost always good) On the other hand, I thought Hollywood Bowl was pretty great. It was two nights there, wasn't it? Maybe I was at the other one from you.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2540
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home