Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
How Truly Enthusiastic Are Rolling Stones Concert Crowds?
Posted by: thewatchman ()
Date: April 9, 2011 05:43

Just curious what your personal experiences have been at Stones concerts regarding crowd enthusiasm? Also, how do the crowds at a Stones concert compare to other artists concerts?

The one concert I attended on the last tour I felt was every bit as enthusiastic as the Austin concert that was featured on the The Biggest Bang DVD. Is there such a thing as an unenthusiastic Stones concert?

Re: How Truly Enthusiastic Are Rolling Stones Concert Crowds?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 9, 2011 11:23

In South America, especially Argentina, the crowd's wild on every show.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 9, 2011 11:45

Just attend the next show....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 9, 2011 12:17

i am i am

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 9, 2011 12:59

In 1982 at Wembley it was wild down the front. At Twickenham in 2006...as soon as you put seats in people want to sit down...all the way through the show.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2011 13:38

The GR
In 1982 at Wembley it was wild down the front. At Twickenham in 2006...as soon as you put seats in people want to sit down...all the way through the show.

At Twickenham in 2006 (actually my first Stones show) I had a seat way up in the nosebleeds - and what hit me was that the moment the first notes of JJF rang out, the whole section (me too) was instantly on its feet and stayed that way for the next 2 hours.... Maybe there were parts of the stadium where people stayed sat, but not where I was.

These days I do appreciate having a seat available, but I don't usually spend more time sitting on it than I can help.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 9, 2011 14:04

The higher ticket prices the less enthusiastic crowd is.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 9, 2011 14:38

franzk
The higher ticket prices the less enthusiastic crowd is.

Probably true - because high ticket prices attract older fans (who statistically will be less likely to be jumping up and down all evening) and also, alas, the kind of people who go to a show to be seen there and to boast about how much money they spent, rather than to listen and enjoy. Like the hospitality-package people who go to Wimbledon and spend 90% of their time schmoozing in the bar, while poorer real fans queue in the street. Tennis? What tennis?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:22

it's always been a tranquil and serene experience at my shows. i wish the stones would turn it down a bit, too...it sometimes gets annoyingly loud while we're in deep thought.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:28

Some people like myself are very enthusiastic about the Stones concerts, but don't show it outwardly. Some people yell and sway while others sit and enjoy. You can't tell the level of enthusiasm by looking at a crowd.

But I have seen some very wild fans at Stones' concerts. I saw one very pretty young girl punching air right and left at an aisle, and she almost hit a man walking down the aisle with his popcorn. I liked watching her almost as much as seeing the Stones perform Mannish Boy.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 9, 2011 15:41

I saw one very pretty young girl punching air right and left at an
aisle, and she almost hit a man walking down the aisle with his
popcorn

.....Uh OH!!! .......It couldn't be could it .....stroke me if I'm wrong ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Thricenay ()
Date: April 9, 2011 16:06

Wembley 1990. Some of the crowd were definitely more interested in the England v. Germany semi-final. I seem to remember quite a few holding radios to their ears, and a couple of loud cheers breaking out at inappopriate moments..

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 9, 2011 17:32

Not much since the sixties...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: April 9, 2011 17:51

Thricenay
Wembley 1990. Some of the crowd were definitely more interested in the England v. Germany semi-final. I seem to remember quite a few holding radios to their ears, and a couple of loud cheers breaking out at inappopriate moments..

That was my first RS concert, & I found that very annoying (I seem to recall a big cheer during 'Almost Hear You Sigh' when presumably England scored or something).

Best audience I've seen recently was at a Chas & Dave (farewell tour) concert in Margate where the crowd went NUTS!!!

Date: April 9, 2011 18:05

Thricenay

...like after SOL?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 9, 2011 18:59

Mick Jagger said in an interview that England scored during a solo by Ronnie and he thought the cheers all over Wembley were celebrating his playing.

Date: April 10, 2011 03:03

stones78

The greatest Stones fans on the planet!

Date: April 10, 2011 03:13

Green Lady
The GR

At Twickenham in 2006 (actually my first Stones show) I had a seat way up in the nosebleeds - and what hit me was that the moment the first notes of JJF rang out, the whole section (me too) was instantly on its feet and stayed that way for the next 2 hours.... Maybe there were parts of the stadium where people stayed sat, but not where I was.

These days I do appreciate having a seat available, but I don't usually spend more time sitting on it than I can help.

The concert I attended on the last tour was unbelievably loud in terms of both the crowd and the music. Couldn't communicate with anyone while the music was playing without screaming into each others ears with the exception being 'Streets of Love'. Had to be on your feet in our section throughout to see anything, and appeared to be that way all over the stadium. It was so loud it could be heard for miles away around the city.

Date: April 10, 2011 03:27

Nowadays it is a crapshoot. In 05 (I think) I saw them in So America but also in USA before. Very different. IN USA they treat it like a retiremnt party; family outing of suntanned business people in mauve shorts; spending the entire concert on cellphones, in line for something, making sure people like us are sitting down - a disgrace.
In So America it was on! I felt like I had been through a cement mixer when I got out of there. It was GREAT. They are the top fans on the planet; no doubt.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 10, 2011 03:56

stones78

That's true!

Date: April 10, 2011 04:00

Palace Revolution 2000
Nowadays it is a crapshoot. In 05 (I think) I saw them in So America but also in USA before. Very different. IN USA they treat it like a retiremnt party; family outing of suntanned business people in mauve shorts; spending the entire concert on cellphones, in line for something, making sure people like us are sitting down - a disgrace.
In So America it was on! I felt like I had been through a cement mixer when I got out of there. It was GREAT. They are the top fans on the planet; no doubt.

That should have been in 2006! But it's not the same attending a show in Brazil, Chile or Argentina, it's similar but not the same, believe me! I have seen the Stones the 12 times they played at the River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires.

Date: April 10, 2011 04:04

stones78

That's why recently many bands chose Argentina to record a live album or dvd, like The Police and AC/DC. Besides the good and garanteed enthusiastic crowd we have good vibes and low prices for people comming with American dollars or Euros.

Posted by: boynamedsue69 ()
Date: April 10, 2011 06:14

acdc fans are the most enthusiastic i have witnessed. was at a gig in toronto canada a few years ago and the whole arena stood up and yelled and screamed for the entire show was incredible to see.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: April 10, 2011 11:57

Since the stones only want 40+ managers at their shows, the fun's over.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: April 10, 2011 22:11

In Europe it is NOT WILD at all and ASLEEP audience. I remember Wembley june 11,12 1999. Boring ! SHeryl Crow tried to wake up everyone saying "come on it's a rolling Stone show".
I wish I would be in Argentina once...

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: April 11, 2011 16:40

Just because fans are sreaming and out of control, does not mean that they're REAL fans at all, it simply measures the amount of drugs/booze pumping through their bodies. I've seen a lot of these " fans" and I can say, you don't want to sit next to them if youwant to enjoy the MUSIC! They never HEAR the songs, they are just a nuisance.I'm all for cheering in the appropriate parts of the show but not non-stop throughout. I'd bet the band would agree, especially if they're doing an exceptional show musically and no one can hear that!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: April 11, 2011 16:56

Wembley was crazy in 90 and 95

MS Garden always great

Date: April 11, 2011 17:40

mickschix
Just because fans are sreaming and out of control, does not mean that they're REAL fans at all, it simply measures the amount of drugs/booze pumping through their bodies. I've seen a lot of these " fans" and I can say, you don't want to sit next to them if youwant to enjoy the MUSIC! They never HEAR the songs, they are just a nuisance.I'm all for cheering in the appropriate parts of the show but not non-stop throughout.

but i always feel badly about the next day

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: April 11, 2011 17:47

mickschix
Just because fans are sreaming and out of control, does not mean that they're REAL fans at all, it simply measures the amount of drugs/booze pumping through their bodies. I've seen a lot of these " fans" and I can say, you don't want to sit next to them if youwant to enjoy the MUSIC! They never HEAR the songs, they are just a nuisance.I'm all for cheering in the appropriate parts of the show but not non-stop throughout. I'd bet the band would agree, especially if they're doing an exceptional show musically and no one can hear that!

I guess you know who are the REAL fans and who aren't.
"it simply measures the amount of drugs/booze"...That doesn't make any sense and has nothing to do with the level of enthusiasm a crowd shows towards the band.

Posted by: sealingwax ()
Date: April 11, 2011 17:53

Sleepy City
Thricenay

That was my first RS concert, & I found that very annoying (I seem to recall a big cheer during 'Almost Hear You Sigh' when presumably England scored or something).

Best audience I've seen recently was at a Chas & Dave (farewell tour) concert in Margate where the crowd went NUTS!!!

I'd forgotten about that!! That was my first Stones concert too!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home