Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

James Brown "blows away the stones"-or does he?
Posted by: ozziestone ()
Date: August 3, 2014 14:26

I came across this in my travels

[www.openculture.com]

which repeats the generally accepted view that James Brown wiped the floor with the Stones with his performance at the 1964 TAMI concert. The author describes the Stones performance as "bland and compromising"

I beg to differ. Brown certainly gives it his all and was no doubt a very hard act to follow. However the Stones in my view rise to the occasion, in fact I regard this as by far the best live footage available of the Stones early period, you get an authentic feel for just how they might have sounded and looked live at that time. Always liked "I'm Allright" basic as it is and the little run up Keith adds to the chords in the outro to All over now

Re: James Brown "blows away the stones"-or does he?
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 3, 2014 17:52

I will beg to differ also!

In a nutshell, this is why only attending a live performance is where the truth lies...not on a video. If Remnick, whom I generally respect, would have written it differently if he'd actually attended the show.

The Stones got a tremendous reaction from the very young largely white crowd, many of whom had never heard of James Brown. That reaction from an LA audience was very meaningful to the Stones so early in their career. Brian was grinning from ear to ear listening to the screams of joy.

Jagger did not push to compete with Brown, whom he admired and Brown was his usual terrific self at that time in his career. The people in charge of the show made the decision.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home