Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Top 100 Rolling Stones songs of all time...
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 1, 2012 17:00

According to UltimateClassicRock.com

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Great little write ups for each tune...if you have some time to kill.

Re: Top 100 Rolling Stones songs of all time...
Date: December 1, 2012 17:03

Another great thing to print out while I'm using the bathroom.

Thanks!

Really.

Stones.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: December 1, 2012 17:16

steel driving hammer

Thanks!

Really.

Stones.

use soft printing paper or you may experience chafing....

Date: December 1, 2012 17:21

steel driving hammer

Thanks!

Really.

Stones.

That's why it's really important to have wireless access in your bathroom, for your laptop.

Date: December 1, 2012 17:22

I can't believe 'Short and Curlies' is as high up as it is.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:47

Do they cross-reference all the other Top 100 Stones songs lists? How do they know they got it right? Which versions? What new excuses for some of the lame ones did they come up with this time?

So many questions.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:49

Rock And A Hard Place?

Eh, that pretty much negates their idea of Top 100.

Date: December 1, 2012 18:59

Well obviously every top 100 list is going to be different...very heavy on Exile and Sticky, Let it Bleed understandably.

I think overall the list is pretty good, with some questionable entries, Rock in a Hard Place, Mixed Emotions, Short and Curlies, Dancing with Mr. D.

None of them 'bad' songs per se, but they took the spot of some other more classic cuts.

Where is She's So Cold, Saint of Me, Time is on my Side, Little Red Rooster...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 1, 2012 19:10

It´s mixed with solo stuff. Bad.

10 years ago there was a list by German Rolling Stone´s
writer Wolgang Doebeling. A true fan and a great list.

Date: December 1, 2012 19:14

TooTough
It´s mixed with solo stuff. Bad.

10 years ago there was a list by German Rolling Stone´s
writer Wolgang Doebeling. A true fan and a great list.

Good point...not sure why they felt the need to do that. Just Another Night seems a bit out of place as well.

Date: December 1, 2012 20:07

treaclefingers
Well obviously every top 100 list is going to be different...very heavy on Exile and Sticky, Let it Bleed understandably.

I think overall the list is pretty good, with some questionable entries, Rock in a Hard Place, Mixed Emotions, Short and Curlies, Dancing with Mr. D.

None of them 'bad' songs per se, but they took the spot of some other more classic cuts.

RAAHP is a HORRIBLE SONG. Short And Curlies is a thousand times better. Dancing With Mr D is a gazillion times better. Mixed Emotions is hundreds times better.

Date: December 1, 2012 20:09

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers

RAAHP is a HORRIBLE SONG. Short And Curlies is a thousand times better. Dancing With Mr D is a gazillion times better. Mixed Emotions is hundreds times better.

I sad it wasn't a bad song. I didn't say it wasn't a horrible song though. Keep up Skippy!

Date: December 1, 2012 20:14

treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers

I sad it wasn't a bad song. I didn't say it wasn't a horrible song though. Keep up Skippy!

You said it wasn't a bad song which, unfortunately, leaves waaaaaaaaay too much room to think that you think that you think it could be misinterpreted that you think it could be a good song. Plus ad the two songs you put it in a sentence with and you seem to be very very confused. See how I would think what you thought that you didn't think much about to be thought of as? Awful, innit.

Date: December 1, 2012 20:23

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
treaclefingers

You said it wasn't a bad song which, unfortunately, leaves waaaaaaaaay too much room to think that you think that you think it could be misinterpreted that you think it could be a good song. Plus ad the two songs you put it in a sentence with and you seem to be very very confused. See how I would think what you thought that you didn't think much about to be thought of as? Awful, innit.

t'is.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: December 1, 2012 23:33

What a ridiculous list. I wonder if BV could set up a system just for IORR where we could vote our top 50 songs. Now that would be a true account of what what Stones fans think, rather than the general music public who might only knwo a handful fo their songs.

Gimme Shelter must be number one.

Date: December 1, 2012 23:37

crumbling_mice
What a ridiculous list. I wonder if BV could set up a system just for IORR where we could vote our top 50 songs. Now that would be a true account of what what Stones fans think, rather than the general music public who might only knwo a handful fo their songs.

Gimme Shelter must be number one.

Well I'm not going to defend the list but you did notice that Gimme Shelter was in fact number one.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 2, 2012 00:07

I could pick 100 great Stones song very easy....but which one is number one...confused smiley I say as I use to:

2 1 2 0

Date: December 2, 2012 05:50

Come On
I could pick 100 great Stones song very easy....but which one is number one...confused smiley I say as I use to:

Well the top three were Gimme Shelter, SFTD and Paint it Black.

They did have Tell Me in there but it was a fair bit lower

Posted by: adjeff8 ()
Date: December 2, 2012 06:21

I agree with Gimmie Shelter being #1, as it is my favorite song ever recorded. But Monkey Man #84? You mean to tell me that Waiting on a friend is a better song than Monkey Man???? That's a joke. Monkey Man is the 2nd greatest song ever recorded. Certainly better than You got me Rocking.

And it's a crime to have all those solo songs and songs from the '90s and 2000s and NOT have Jigsaw Puzzle or Factory Girl. Plus, theres a host of early songs not on the list like That's How Strong My Love is, The Last Time, She Said Yeah, Time is on My side, Spider and the Fly, and many more. Also a personal favorite that not everbody knows, Worried about You, should be on the list. All these songs should be ahead of Fool to Cry. They ought to have a REAL Stones fan compile a list

Date: December 2, 2012 06:46

adjeff8
I agree with Gimmie Shelter being #1, as it is my favorite song ever recorded. But Monkey Man #84? You mean to tell me that Waiting on a friend is a better song than Monkey Man???? That's a joke. Monkey Man is the 2nd greatest song ever recorded. Certainly better than You got me Rocking.

And it's a crime to have all those solo songs and songs from the '90s and 2000s and NOT have Jigsaw Puzzle or Factory Girl. Plus, theres a host of early songs not on the list like That's How Strong My Love is, The Last Time, She Said Yeah, Time is on My side, Spider and the Fly, and many more. Also a personal favorite that not everbody knows, Worried about You, should be on the list. All these songs should be ahead of Fool to Cry. They ought to have a REAL Stones fan compile a list

you are quite right...Love that Slave was on the list, and a bit surprised Heaven was on there. Tops and Worried About You shoulda been on there.

Ultimate Classic Rock: Top 100 Rolling Stones Songs
Posted by: BroomWagon ()
Date: August 3, 2014 03:19

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Perhaps this has been posted before. I'd read it some months ago. One might find it interesting. No, I don't agree with it in full. Note, you have to page through all 100 songs.

Note, as you page through the songs, there is a little hint at the bottom as to the next song.

Re: Ultimate Classic Rock: Top 100 Rolling Stones Songs
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 3, 2014 04:46

Here's a recent poll from CMT:

CMT All-Time Top 40: The Rolling Stones
Country Stars Count Down Their Favorite Artists
August 2, 2014

The Rolling Stones -- singer Mick Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Brian Jones, bassist Bill Wyman and drummer Charlie Watts -- undoubtedly changed the course of music history in the 1960s, bringing a fierce new brand of rock 'n' roll to the masses which, of course, included country music lovers.

They arrive at No. 20 on CMT All-Time Top 40: Artists Choice, a list of the most influential artists in history, chosen by country stars themselves. Each week, another honoree is revealed on CMT Hot 20 Countdown.

Inspired by the raw intensity of American blues and R&B, the Rolling Stones were the antithesis of the suave pop singers of their day. Full of attitude and sex appeal, they symbolized the changing values of the American youth and presided over a major cultural shift.

Musically, they exposed the potential of the guitar riff and the defiant frontman, cementing the idea of rock 'n' roll as a spectacle of rebellion and fantasy.

All of these elements and more would later work their way into country music, and artists like Kix Brooks, Sheryl Crow, Thomas Rhett and The Band Perry took notice.

"The first time I saw them live, I just couldn't believe it," Brooks said. "I had seen a lot of rock shows and lot of lights and stuff but, man, nothing like they had. These huge towers -- that's where (Brooks & Dunn) got the whole inflatable thing. They had these gorgeous, huge eight-story women on both sides. Mick just running and bouncing all over these things, and you think, 'Man, I'd be just like them if I only had the guts.' They were and still are kind of a force of nature. They're so cool, and they have managed to just keep doing whatever it is that they do.

"The other thing about the Stones is the guitar licks, and that's what I think Keith has always brought to the table," Brooks continued. "Mick's the front guy and he does his thing, but I remember the first time I saw them play and the lights went down, and you just heard the riff to 'Satisfaction.' That was the first lick I learned to play on guitar, and it's so simple and so genius. Who doesn't know that? And the whole place just goes nuts. It's the power of five notes. Wow. And they do it over and over again. I mean, how can you shuffle the deck that many times and still come up with aces?"

Crow was impressed by their obvious love of American music.

"I think the Rolling Stones have always had the best references, and they were definitely influenced by American music," she said. "They know everything about Southern blues, Chicago blues. They emulated Muddy Waters. They wrote songs that were very fiery blues. They made them into pop songs. And then they got into the country sound with Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street, and they were big fans of Buck Owens and Johnny Cash. You can hear it in their songs."

For Rhett, the Stones' appeal was all about attitude.

"The Rolling Stones kind of have very special memories in my heart," he said. "I mean, obviously the Stones are, I think, one of the greatest rock bands of all time. You can't go watch Mick Jagger and Keith Richards without being entertained in some form or fashion. Their songwriting's great, they just have this overall vibe like they are the definition of rock 'n' roll to me. But their roots were very bluesy and country, and they were also kind of like the bad boys, I guess."

The Band Perry grew up listening to the Rolling Stones and think generations to come will have the same experience.

"Our dad is the one who just raised us on the Rolling Stones," Neil Perry said. "He would sing us to sleep with 'Start Me Up,' 'Wild Horses,' all those great songs. ... I've said before they've got great songs, they've transcended time, they've been around long before everyone else and they'll be here long after we're gone."

But ironically, according to Crow, that was never their plan.

"They were the band that said when they were in their teens, 'If you're 30, you may as well be dead,'" she pointed out. "'You're not going to be a rock star if you're 30. It's over.' And now they're in their 70s, and they're still doing it and they deliver."

The link has a nice little video:

[www.cmt.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 3, 2014 05:19

Monkey man #84?...I don't think so.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 3, 2014 05:21

Like I posted weeks ago we never do well in these polls.

Posted by: lucasd4 ()
Date: August 3, 2014 05:51

Brstonesfan
Like I posted weeks ago we never do well in these polls.

There is no WE here, MR LAWYER. Looks like Josh has brought his tired act to IORR now.

Date: August 3, 2014 06:10

Maybe I will try to write up the 100 songs they have in the next few days.

"Let it loose" is basically one of my favorite Rolling Stones song but quite a ways down the list.

#21 is Tumbling Dice, I think that should be higher.

Otherwise, trying to remember, I don't think their top 10 looks horrible.

#10, Ruby Tuesday

#5, Satisfaction
#4, YCAGWYW (I don't think it should be ahead of Satisfaction)(I think that is #4)
#3. Paint it black, Alright, that's good for me.
#2 SFTD, reasonable if not the order I would favor.
#1 Gimme Shelter, I can live with that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-03 06:11 by BroomWagon.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: August 3, 2014 06:30

We have always correctly called these polls out and we have been proven correct.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 3, 2014 07:21

...WHAT!!! Rocks Off in the high 40's and no King Bee or Red Rooster hangin' around

ROCKMAN

Date: August 3, 2014 07:25

No Lady Jane either, glaring omission.

It looks like the list was put together in a few ways, commercial appeal to an extent and also to highlight contributions from Mick and Keith. 51-100 have about 4 MJ/KR solo songs at least.

Date: August 3, 2014 07:38

Also, they have "Short and Curlies" and "You got to move", okay, maybe some people appreciate those.

But no "Time waits for no one", I don't think that's on there or "Fingerprint File" either. Maybe one of these two.

For me, they could have even slid in something like "If you need me", "Have Mercy", "Fortune Teller" or even "Let the good times roll".

So in spots, that list is very subjective.

I'm not even positive "Time is on my side" is in there, probably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-03 07:48 by BroomWagon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1732
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home