Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood Relationship
Date: July 8, 2014 05:20

I know this probably sound silly, but do any of you think that Taylor's limited role in these past shows had anything at all to do with his attitude towards the other band members? I feel that Mick (Jagger) might have been the main one limiting his role (stealing Jagger's thunder?), but one of the comments in this video of CYHMK? from Philly Night 2 points out something I didn't notice; Taylor glaring down Wood. They said,

wingseclipsed (via YouTube)
Wow, you can see Taylor glaring at Wood the first 1/3 of the performance.-- maybe Ron was drunk again, I dunno...

Here's the video.

Note 1:00 versus 1:14, and 1:44...seems to get a little ticked off when he sees Ronnie... For the record, I don't think Ronnie's drunk, seems like he's just being Ronnie.

Do you think Taylor seemed cold towards his replacement at the shows/videos you've been to/seen?

Re: Mick Taylor/Ronnie Wood Relationship
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 8, 2014 05:22

Not one bit.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 8, 2014 05:31

I think you need to rewatch a few Ramblers. Most gigs Ronnie is practically a cheerleader for Taylor. It is genuinely fun. The PPV gig is a prime example.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:07

Taylor glaring down Wood.

Not at all. Mick T. sometimes has a little bit of a grumpy cat expression, that's all. But when he smiles, it lights up his whole face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 06:08 by latebloomer.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2014 06:10

No and they did those NYC gigs together. Some London ones too.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:17

Ronnie is obviously an MT cheerleader, given that he didn't have to invite him to collaborate on those Jimmy Reed shows last year, and they seemed to be having a lot of fun together.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 8, 2014 10:17

I know this probably sound silly, .... YEP!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 8, 2014 11:47

Indeed, not one bit, at 1:14, and 1:44 he actually seems to be looking at something behind Ronnie!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 12:03

What I see is that Mick T. looks at Ronnie. What is wrong with that? No matter how hard I try, I don't see any glaring. Just a stupid YouTube comment, no need to analyse it.

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: July 8, 2014 12:33

I remember a backstage vid in which you can see Ronnie and Mick T. very close to each other. It was after a Face's gig, maybe in 2011 ? No one knew that Mick T.'s could back at that time, imho.

Date: July 8, 2014 13:27

djgab
I remember a backstage vid in which you can see Ronnie and Mick T. very close to each other. It was after a Face's gig, maybe in 2011 ? No one knew that Mick T.'s could back at that time, imho.

They were even kissing in that video grinning smiley

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:30

Somebody should have gone to Specsavers!

Posted by: Gooo ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:50

Mt is overrated, I like the cyhmk 2002 versions better

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:53

There'$ probably another explanation to Mick Taylor'$ limited role...

Posted by: Captainchaos ()
Date: July 8, 2014 13:57

in woods 'autobiography' when Taylor played at that mid 80s gig Woods says Taylor overplayed, was too loud, keith was pissed at him for it & gave him daggers on stage, missed his chance that kinda jibe. TBH I've not seen any pics of Keith looking anything other than his usual happy self on stage

Thanks to the internet and Boots you can listen to it yourself and find that alot of what Ronnie said isnt right so comes across as abit insecure and catty?

If anyone does overplay its more so Woods rather than Taylor. boots from alleged soundboard to audience boots have taylor as the quieter of the 3 gtrs, some put this down to having no mic on his amp, that he was loud onstage etc, but when you listen to dif source boots from audience boots to supposed soundboard boots taylor's fairly level or low in the mix.

Theres a fair bit where taylor looks for some space in a tune, plays alittle, only for wood to step on it. if you listen to other boots off the same tour it's more so wood overplaying.

That was decades ago and the band wasnt particularly great either, alot of waters passed under the bridge since then.

On the good side, its great to hear Taylor playing on songs from after he left, i think on BOB theres some nice touches. I think alot of people were hoping that Taylor would be incorporated more ala this gig in terms of songs played and its defo great to hear 3gtrs but it did get messy in parts. It was a one off, no rehersal, nerves so is as expected really. kinda like seeing your ex with the latest, can make both the old and new feelin abit jittery?

Woods and Taylor have great contrasting styles that together can create something interesting and imaginative, that showed in the gigs they played together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-08 14:01 by Captainchaos.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:13

Since Taylor started to make music again with the rolling stones, we could witness that the Wood/Taylor relationship flourished. It is probably incidental but it worked well for the rolling stones. The fact that Ron and Mick T. are good friends made it easier to have Taylor back as a guest. I believe Jagger decided that Taylor should be only appearing on few numbers.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: July 8, 2014 14:34

rollmops
Since Taylor started to make music again with the rolling stones, we could witness that the Wood/Taylor relationship flourished. It is probably incidental but it worked well for the rolling stones. The fact that Ron and Mick T. are good friends made it easier to have Taylor back as a guest. I believe Jagger decided that Taylor should be only appearing on few numbers.
Rock and roll,
Mops

That relationship flourished before Taylor was back with the Stones.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:56

Ronnie is such a Mick T cheerleader, in the Taylor vs. Wood debate he would probably support the Taylorists.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: July 8, 2014 14:57

I think they respect each other and have maybe a normal good friendship.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:09

I think the Wood/Taylor relationship is at least part of the reason Taylor's playing on-stage with them again.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 16:42

Captainchaos
in woods 'autobiography' when Taylor played at that mid 80s gig Woods says Taylor overplayed, was too loud, keith was pissed at him for it & gave him daggers on stage, missed his chance that kinda jibe. TBH I've not seen any pics of Keith looking anything other than his usual happy self on stage

Thanks to the internet and Boots you can listen to it yourself and find that alot of what Ronnie said isnt right so comes across as abit insecure and catty?

If anyone does overplay its more so Woods rather than Taylor. boots from alleged soundboard to audience boots have taylor as the quieter of the 3 gtrs, some put this down to having no mic on his amp, that he was loud onstage etc, but when you listen to dif source boots from audience boots to supposed soundboard boots taylor's fairly level or low in the mix.
Theres a fair bit where taylor looks for some space in a tune, plays alittle, only for wood to step on it. if you listen to other boots off the same tour it's more so wood overplaying.

That was decades ago and the band wasnt particularly great either, alot of waters passed under the bridge since then.

On the good side, its great to hear Taylor playing on songs from after he left, i think on BOB theres some nice touches. I think alot of people were hoping that Taylor would be incorporated more ala this gig in terms of songs played and its defo great to hear 3gtrs but it did get messy in parts. It was a one off, no rehersal, nerves so is as expected really. kinda like seeing your ex with the latest, can make both the old and new feelin abit jittery?

Woods and Taylor have great contrasting styles that together can create something interesting and
imaginative, that showed in the gigs they played together.

His name is WOOD not WOODS !!!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:08

They have, by all accounts, a good and very friendly relationship dating back to the mid-1960s, although like Captainchaos said some of Wood's public statements reek of an understandable insecurity (the one that sticks in my mind is the way he keeps telling every journalist he meets that nonsense story about how he had to fill in for Taylor when he was in The Gods because of MT's alleged stage fright)

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:09

There'$ probably another explanation to Mick Taylor'$ limited role...

Be careful, you'll get the thread closed

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:28

MT Loves Woodie, I know this for a fact. I saw MT and Woodie do a blues show in NYC and it was fantasic. I still cannot fathom why the Stoners decided to diminish MT's role, instead of steadily increasing it but I assure you Woodie/MT are close.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:34

ronkeith72
MT Loves Woodie, I know this for a fact. I saw MT and Woodie do a blues show in NYC and it was fantasic. I still cannot fathom why the Stoners decided to diminish MT's role, instead of steadily increasing it but I assure you Woodie/MT are close.

I was at 2 of these shows. They seemed like they got along real well. I highly doubt they would of done these shows if they were not friends.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 8, 2014 17:54

Wood is a tactical genius. His paring with Taylor may have begun at the suggestion of Mick Jagger at the point where everyone was unsure about Keith. The first of those blues gigs was 3 years ago or more. When I saw them together Ronnie clearly played like himself while Taylor was subdued and focused on countering Wood. Meanwhile in the Stones these days Wood butchers ADTL while Taylor stands behind the drum riser. Are Ronnie's smiles hollow during MR? Sometimes I suspect they are but Wood is rock's greatest diplomat so he's impossible to read. When I see him chumming with Taylor this old saying keeps appearing in my mind. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

Date: July 8, 2014 18:11

That's what I thought, I forgot that Taylor and Wood played a show together a while ago.

Date: July 8, 2014 18:11

I still haven't heard Ronnie "butcher" ADTL...

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 8, 2014 18:12

They seem by all accounts to be friendly. However, the misuse/non-use of MT on the tour is inexcusable. It rests solely on MJ who 1) cannot let someone other than him shine on stage and 2) the sad fact that other than RW, none of the other members including Jagger can carry the tempo that Taylor is still able to play at....the ancient form of weaving has long been an excuse for no lead guitar!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 8, 2014 18:35

DandelionPowderman
I still haven't heard Ronnie "butcher" ADTL...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home