Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Any Psychedelic Furs fans here ?
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 25, 2011 22:49

I've seen the Furs a couple of times, both great shows, but I've never bought any of their records, so I'm still not very familiar with them.

They are coming to my town in June, where they will play their 1981 record Talk Talk Talk in it's entirety.

What do ya'll think of this record, and would you go to the show if you could ?

Re: OT: Any Psychedelic Furs fans here ?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 25, 2011 23:01

Does Amanda Kramer still play with them? She made a fantastic, unfortunately obscure album with the Golden Palaminos in 1989. It's called "A Dead Horse".

Date: March 25, 2011 23:05

tatters
Does Amanda Kramer still play with them?

Yeah, looks like it:

These days, the band continues to tour around the world. The current Psychedelic Furs touring lineup remains Richard Butler (vocals), Tim Butler (bass), Rich Good (guitar), Mars Williams (saxophone), Amanda Kramer (keyboards), and Paul Garisto (drums).

[www.thepsychedelicfurs.com]

Date: March 25, 2011 23:09

i thought they were pretty cool

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 25, 2011 23:39

Yeah, the only abum I owned (and still do) was Talk Talk. Good album and I love Pretty in Pink, the original version on that lp, especially (not the remix/re-recording used in the movie of the same name).

Date: March 26, 2011 01:38

Big big fan.
Jon Asheton is not with them anymore; Big reason not to see them.
Their early work, the self-titled first album, "Talk Talk Talk" are great. And the very produced "Forever Now" and Mirror Moves" were IMO some of the best 80's albums - the songs were just tops. Then they petered out.
I didn't mind Richard Butler's band Love Spit Love that much, but I loathed his solo album, can't recall the title. Still - I'd say they are one of my alltime favorite bands.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 26, 2011 01:47

>Does Amanda Kramer still play with them? She made a fantastic, unfortunately obscure album with the Golden Palaminos in 1989. It's called "A Dead Horse".

Which Mick Taylor plays on! I played that album to death back in the day, its due for a revisit. She also sang on their next album, DRUNK WITH PASSION.

But back to the subject at hand, I would definitely go see the P. Furs if I were in your shoes (in part because I've never seen them).

Date: March 26, 2011 01:58

Glam Descendant
I would definitely go see the P. Furs if I were in your shoes (in part because I've never seen them).

Aren't you around the Florida panhandle?

They're in New Orleans on a Saturday night, June 25.

Date: March 26, 2011 03:06

April 19
SAN ANTONIO, TX • WHITE RABBIT • TICKETS

April 20
AUSTIN, TX • ANTONE'S • TICKETS

April 21
EL PASO, TX • CLUB 101 • TICKETS

April 23
HOUSTON, TX • WAREHOUSE LIVE • TICKETS

April 24
DALLAS, TX • GRANADA THEATER • TICKETS

April 27
SOLANA BEACH, CA • BELLY UP • TICKETS

April 28
ANAHEIM, CA • HOUSE OF BLUES • TICKETS

April 29
AGOURA HILLS, CA • CANYON CLUB • TICKETS

April 30
LOS ANGELES, CA • THE MUSIC BOX• TICKETS

May 2
ORANGEVALE, CA • THE BOARDWALK • TICKETS

May 3
SAN FRANCISCO, CA • SLIM'S • TICKETS

May 5
NAPA VALLEY, CA • UPTOWN THEATRE • TICKETS

May 6
RENO, NV • KNITTING FACTORY• TICKETS

May 7
PORTLAND, OR • ALADDIN THEATER • TICKETS

May 8
SEATTLE, WA • SHOWBOX at the MARKET • TICKETS

June 25
NEW ORLEANS, LA • HOUSE OF BLUES • TICKETS

June 27
BATON ROUGE, LA • MANSHIP THEATRE • TICKETS

June 28
PENSACOLA, FL • VINYL MUSIC HALL• TICKETS

July 1
FORT LAUDERDALE, FL • CULTURE ROOM • TICKETS

July 2
CLEARWATER, FL • CAPITOL THEATER • TICKETS ON SALE APRIL 1st

July 6
ATLANTA, GA • THE MASQUERADE • TICKETS

July 7
NASHVILLE, TN • CANNERY BALLROOM • TICKETS

July 8
ASHEVILLE, NC • THE ORANGE PEEL • TICKETS

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: March 26, 2011 05:10

I do like them, I have a nice bootleg of theirs.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 26, 2011 09:12

I love PRETTY IN PINK and LOVE MY WAY, and like the lead singer's Jaggerish moves, but "fan" would be too strong a word since I couldn't name one member.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 26, 2011 09:38

I like them a lot
They wer among the best bands of the 80s
I have all their albums, and the Lovs Spit Love second albuma which is very nice

Now they are like the RS, almost a revival band with nothin new to say

One of his most important members was guitarist John Ashton, and now he is not in the band

Nice and cool band with very nice and classic albums and songs

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 26, 2011 12:58

Talk Talk Talk is a classic!!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 26, 2011 14:50

They're a great live band. I last saw them 3 years ago on a bill with The Alarm. I believe I heard that the lead guitarist had left last year, but I;m sure they found an able replacement.

My first experience with the band was in a small club in Rochester, NY in 81 or 82. Before they started recording with Todd Rundgren as producer. There was hardly anyone there and instead of colored lights, they used only projectors where the white light was transmitted the a clear dish filled with water and blobs of oil. It created a continuously changing array of color and shapes. (Glad I wasn't on anything that night - pretty trippy)

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 26, 2011 15:54

Furs are amazing ... Richard Butler sounds a lot like Bowie vocally, only better (that's right, better!).

Even better than the Furs was the follow-up band, Love Spit Love:

And Talk Talk Talk is one of the greatest albums of all time - I wish they were playing it live near me!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 26, 2011 16:13

I can still hear traces of Richard Butler's sweet seventy voice but he has lost a lot ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: March 26, 2011 16:34

Come On
I can still hear traces of Richard Butler's sweet seventy voice but he has lost a lot ...

couldn't disagree more - he actually sings much better these days... similar voice but has learned to use it much better

from his 2006 solo album, for example:

Date: March 27, 2011 23:49

Thanks for posting the dates -- ATL or P'cola might be doable, NOLA is a bit of a stretch for me.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:06

No European dates for the moment..Hope to see them soon.

Richard Butler is one of my favorite singers, just love his voice.

Date: June 26, 2011 18:26

An Evening with The Psychedelic Furs
House of Blues - New Orleans
June 25, 2011

1st Set
Dumb Waiters
Pretty In Pink
I Wanna Sleep With You
No Tears
Mr. Jones
Into You Like A Train
It Goes On
So Run Down
All Of This And Nothing
She Is Mine

2nd Set
Sister Europe
Love My Way
Heartbeat
President Gas
Highwire Days
Heaven
Heartbreak Beat

Encore:
Forever Now

[www.setlist.fm]

The Butler Brothers & Company put up a very solid performance in New Orleans last night.
The band was tight and Richard wasted no energy belting out the lyrics and interacting with the audience on hand.
Several times, Richard leaned over the edge of the stage to grab hands and I thought for sure that a particular group of ladies were going to pull him into the audience.

The show started on time and yours truly was FOS during the first set, which was Talk Talk Talk performed in it's entirety.
There was plenty of elbow room at first even up front, as I think a lot of poor bastards assumed there would be an opening band, but as the night wore on the venue filled up.

Only one snafu I noticed when Rich Good's guitar lost a couple of strings during It Goes On.
An alert guitar tech immediately came to the rescue and fast-tuned a replacement while the band continued, giving us an extended version of the song without missing a beat.

I took advantage of the short intermission between sets to grab a last drink and stake out a new vantage point for watching the rest of the show.
Once again, the band came back and delivered a powerful set of selected songs from the rest of their catalogue.

Eighteen excellent tunes in two hours made for a great night out, and if anyone is on the fence about wanting to see The Furs, I would say get out there and go.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 26, 2011 18:59

Mirror Moves is a tremendous album.

Saw them in 1987 - very good show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-06-26 19:04 by uhbuhgullayew.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 26, 2011 19:09

Glam Descendant
>Does Amanda Kramer still play with them? She made a fantastic, unfortunately obscure album with the Golden Palaminos in 1989. It's called "A Dead Horse".

Which Mick Taylor plays on! I played that album to death back in the day, its due for a revisit. She also sang on their next album, DRUNK WITH PASSION.

Here's a great track from "A Dead Horse". Not sure, but I think that might be a MT solo at 3:34.

Posted by: knifeblade ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:07

First saw the Furs at Hofstra Playhouse in 1983 and have seen them many times afterwards. If you can see them I would recommend it highly. Yes they haven't released any new material since the early ninties but at times in concert they will do cover versions of Roxy Music tunes. Look forward to seeing them in Oct at Irving Plaza.(Have VIP seating)

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: July 5, 2011 00:32

love the cut Pretty In Pink

Date: July 5, 2011 01:39

>An Evening with The Psychedelic Furs
House of Blues - New Orleans
June 25, 2011

Thanks for the writeup, EG. That's a good looking setlist but I would have been slightly disappointed by the omission of my favorite PF song, "The Ghost In You".

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 5, 2011 13:09

I saw them at a bar in central New Jersey 30 years ago. Pretty good. There's a show of theirs from that period up on Thetradersden.org.

What I remember most about that evening was their roadies did a warmup set as The Dead Gumbies. That set included a song called When a Man Loves a Donkey and ended with an LA Blues-type noise piece called Choking on Sem-n.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 16:57

Edith, go see them. They were in Pensacola last week. It was a great show and I am / was a casual fan at best. Very, very good show!

Date: July 5, 2011 17:04

Shawn20
Edith, go see them.

I did. smiling smiley [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: July 5, 2011 19:10

Edith Grove
Shawn20
Edith, go see them.

I did. smiling smiley [www.iorr.org]

Sorry about that. Glad you saw the show.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home