Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What happened to the frenetic pace of the songs in the 70s to the slowed down versions starting in '89?
Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: March 24, 2011 14:22

ab
24FPS
'Little Queenie' from Ya Yas is almost lethargic compared to the versions I heard on the B-Stage in 1997.

The 1997 arrangement of Little Queenie is based on the winter 1973 arrangement.

Or perhaps both were based on Chuck Berry's original... winking smiley

Re: What happened to the frenetic pace of the songs in the 70s to the slowed down versions starting in '89?
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 24, 2011 15:23

audun-eg
Mathijs
Er, just a remark: the Stones do not and never have used a click track. They only use the indication of BPM's as a guide to the pace of a song, and Chuck Leavell uses a click track to count off certain songs. They started doing this when they started to delve back in to their catalogue for the live shows, and somewhat more difficult tracks where played, like Monkey Man, and tracks with piano intro's etc.

Standard use of a click track is in the studio, where you don't want a certain song to speed up or slow down. If you use a click track it makes overdubbing parts much easier. As far as I know the Stones have hardly ever used this.

Mathijs

I guess you can call the sampled track on sympathy since '89 a clicktrack? In some concert footage, you can also see Charlie "facing" his monitor behind him on this song.
Also in the documentary about Bridges to Babylon, there's a sequence of recording Already Over Me (If I remember correctly), and there is definetly a click track going there. I would be surrised if that's the only example.

With Sympathy live there's a pre-recorded set of percussion, that works like a metronome or click-track. They did this with more songs, like Undercover. In the studio I would guess that typical Jagger tracks like You Might As Well Get Juiced made use of a click-track to get all the programming right. Or you introduce a click-track for some bars to do an overdub, that's just common practice since the '70's.

But mainline is that they never used a click-track to get them through a song -its used to count off, and then it's up to the band if they speed up or not. So any notion of the Stones sounding more robotic is due to the Stones having become a more robotic band, which is natural with age and experience. It's not the use of a clicktrack that makes them robotic.

Mathijs

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 24, 2011 15:56

71Tele
ab
They play more slowly in '89 because they're using click counters and doing less cocaine.

Exactly. They started using click tracks beacuse I think Jagger wanted a more "professional" show...also '78 and '81 were way faster than '75.

Perfect answer. Another reason I hated 78 and 81.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-24 15:56 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 24, 2011 16:02

"Another reason I hated 78 and 81"

WHHHHHHHHHHHAT? How can one hate these tours?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 24, 2011 16:20

Sleepy City
ab
24FPS
'Little Queenie' from Ya Yas is almost lethargic compared to the versions I heard on the B-Stage in 1997.

The 1997 arrangement of Little Queenie is based on the winter 1973 arrangement.

Or perhaps both were based on Chuck Berry's original... winking smiley

the arrangement didn't change one iota - just the tempo.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 24, 2011 17:52

dcba
"Another reason I hated 78 and 81"

WHHHHHHHHHHHAT? How can one hate these tours?

Compared to 69, 72, 75, 89, 94, 97, 99, 03 it's easy.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 24, 2011 18:04

More Hot Rocks
71Tele
ab
They play more slowly in '89 because they're using click counters and doing less cocaine.

Exactly. They started using click tracks beacuse I think Jagger wanted a more "professional" show...also '78 and '81 were way faster than '75.

Perfect answer. Another reason I hated 78 and 81.

Mathjis is right, and I should have said bpm's and click counters rather than click tracks. The main point is the same, as they started to use predictable tempos rather than those fueled (by example) by whatever state the guitarists happened to be in on a given show or tour.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1979
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home