Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Guitar Solo on It's All Over Now
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:17

I am just now reading the book by Keith Richards, Life. In one of the earlier chapters, Keith recounts how John Lennon teased him about how bad his solo in the middle of the song was. This was apparently soon after the song was released for radio play.

I have listened to this song many times and think it is pretty much incredible. It is wild, fast, and energetic, and is one of his better solos, ever.

The solo begins about 1:28 into the song.

I think you will either love it or hate it.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Guitar Solo on It's All Over Now
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:21

Ive always been impressed by it, but what do I know.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:25

My all time favorite Stones Song.

It's a trip to listen to on headphones with that primitive stereo. Bass and drums on one side, guitars on the other with some bleed-over on the echo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:32

The solo is great. John (and I love him) could be a bit envious of the Stones.

Date: May 9, 2014 02:35

71Tele

...George in his early days couldn't hold a candle to that lead. John wished George could do that...

Posted by: FanOfGRARBITW ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:47

flilflam
I am just now reading the book by Keith Richards, Life. In one of the earlier chapters, Keith recounts how John Lennon teased him about how bad his solo in the middle of the song was. This was apparently soon after the song was released for radio play.

I have listened to this song many times and think it is pretty much incredible. It is wild, fast, and energetic, and is one of his better solos, ever.

The solo begins about 1:28 into the song.

I think you will either love it or hate it.

[www.youtube.com]

Lennon must have had a bug up his ass that day. That's one of my favorite solos of all time.

"Gonna find my way to heaven because I did my time in hell"
- Dan -
Fan of The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in The World

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 9, 2014 02:49

Supposedly, George had to record his "Roll Over Beethoven" solo at half-speed.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 9, 2014 04:40

Oh, look, yet another Beatles vs. Stones thread. All the OP had to do was mentioned a little aside from Keith's book about a comment from a Beatle and all the resentful Stones fans start seething away--not only putting down Lennon, but also insulting Harrison in the process. Typical.

If someone from another band had teased Keith (and we don't know the context behind the teasing), any other band, be it Ray Davies from the Kinks or Townshend from the Who, none of these posters would have bothered.

It's a few resentful Stones fans who "have a bug up their ass", even 50 years on.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 9, 2014 05:07

On those heavy as hell gauged strings, and a guitar that likely wasn't set up well, it's bad assed.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 9, 2014 05:20

I agree with JL in that I don't think it's a very good solo. It doesn't make sense to my ears as it completely flies in the face of the laid back groove of the song. Just doesn't fit for me and I've always thought as much. That style is killer on "Carol" (obviously) but doesn't suit what's essentially a country song me finks.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 9, 2014 05:39

71Tele

Where did you get this information? After playing it night after night in Hamburg and Merseyside for three years or more? Please.

However, regarding the question, I think Lennon was having a go at Keith, in a playful way.
Lennon's solo on You Can't Do That is pretty similiar to IAON.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 9, 2014 06:10

I'm just a jealous guy ...............

ROCKMAN

Date: May 9, 2014 07:04

stonehearted
Oh, look, yet another Beatles vs. Stones thread. All the OP had to do was mentioned a little aside from Keith's book about a comment from a Beatle and all the resentful Stones fans start seething away--not only putting down Lennon, but also insulting Harrison in the process. Typical.

If someone from another band had teased Keith (and we don't know the context behind the teasing), any other band, be it Ray Davies from the Kinks or Townshend from the Who, none of these posters would have bothered.

It's a few resentful Stones fans who "have a bug up their ass", even 50 years on.

I love the Beatles, I just don't think he was that great of a guitarist in the real early days and nothing he did in '64 could compare with that solo that Lennon was complaining about. I'm not entitled to my opinion?

Date: May 9, 2014 07:48

Good gravy, here we go again.
In case some of you need to be reminded, George Harrison was GREAT guitar player. Case closed.
In fact, he's one of the best slide guitarists ever.

Date: May 9, 2014 08:48

BluzDude
71Tele

...George in his early days couldn't hold a candle to that lead. John wished George could do that...

John played similar solos in the early days. I think he was just teasing because the solo was a bit one- dimensional, as great as it is...

Date: May 9, 2014 09:01

I love John's solo on Yer Blues, those hammer-ons from E to G.
Funny how no one says, "Oh, Keith or Clapton or Dave Davies could have played it better." But when George takes a solo it's "Oh, Keith or Eric or Dave Davies could have done it better."

Date: May 9, 2014 09:33

stonehearted

My saying that maybe Lennon had a bug up his ass was by no way a resentful put down of the Beatles. I love the Beatles. I was only saying that perhaps John was not in the best of moods on the day he critiqued Keith's solo. No way was that meant to put down the Beatles. One can analyze something a member of a band says. It doesn't mean they are putting down the band. I'll say that sometimes members of the Stones have said things that deserve criticism. I still love the Stones....and I also love the Beatles. You read things into my post that were not there.

- Dan -

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 9, 2014 09:54

Please stop that Beatles-Rolling Stones battle. Can't we agree that both were/are great bands? The discussion has nothing to do with putting down Harrison or Lennon.

Date: May 9, 2014 09:57

saltoftheearth
Please stop that Beatles-Rolling Stones battle. Can't we agree that both were/are great bands? The discussion has nothing to do with putting down Harrison or Lennon.

thumbs up

- Dan -

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 9, 2014 10:00

OzHeavyThrobber
I agree with JL in that I don't think it's a very good solo. It doesn't make sense to my ears as it completely flies in the face of the laid back groove of the song. Just doesn't fit for me and I've always thought as much. That style is killer on "Carol" (obviously) but doesn't suit what's essentially a country song me finks.

I don't think the Valentinos could have ever been described as country, in any sense--anyway, to me the genius of this solo is that it took a song that could have belonged to any number of genres and rooted it firmly in rock and roll.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:16

BluzDude

John wished George could do that...

You know that for sure, do you?

FanOfGRARBITW
You read things into my post that were not there.

At least I put in quotes what was there.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:28

what's wrong with that solo? to me it's great
ciao
m.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:28

Fantastic solo, energetic, in your face, rhythmical.
What the F did John Lennon know about solos anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-09 11:29 by matxil.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:31

One of the Stones' best solo in one of the Stones' best covers.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: May 9, 2014 11:35

The Beatles were a great pop band and especially McCartney was genius.
But, apparantly John Lennon was always insecure about being in a pop-band, and not being in a "real raw rock n roll band", which explains his constant bickering towards both the Stones as McCartney. Some of that was justified, in the case of McCartney because on his off-days he would produce crap like Obladiblabla and Hello, Goodbye, and in the case of the Stones because they did try to copy the Beatles for awhile (65 - 67). Still, why Lennon was always so jealous (in lots of his interviews, sooner or later it would come up one way or other) is a mystery.

Date: May 9, 2014 12:44

stonehearted
BluzDude

John wished George could do that...

You know that for sure, do you?

FanOfGRARBITW
You read things into my post that were not there.

At least I put in quotes what was there.

Let's not argue. It's really not worth it and it's not what people want to see here. Have a nice day dude.

- Dan -

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 9, 2014 12:54

Hi all,I remember "Rolling Stone" magazine said it was one of the best solos in rock.(thats when it was a magazine of note)

Posted by: ash ()
Date: May 9, 2014 13:11

I like it as a solo but it has to be said that a very great many of Keith's solos in the early years are pretty similar. Anyway, It's All Over Now is a great record.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: May 9, 2014 15:29

71Tele

If that were true, then the guitar lead would play back at twice the pitch.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 9, 2014 15:42

From4tilLate
71Tele

If that were true, then the guitar lead would play back at twice the pitch.

I think he had to record it backwards :-)

Anyway, I read Life some time ago and don't remember this bit, so I don't know the context Keith puts it in. But eventhough Keith writes it in Life, that doesn't necessarily mean it happened :-) At least I would not start a love / hate - Stones / Beatles argument based upon that. If it happened, it doesn't mean it was more than a good natured teasing. I doubt that Keith suggests anything else. If I knew what page was was on, I would go and look it up. But I don't, so I won't

And yea, the solo - I like it!

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home