Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: new ALICE COOPER box set due this summer
Date: March 15, 2011 14:19

[www.roadrunnerrecords.com] ... mID=155285

ALICE COOPER: Old-School Box Set Due In June - Mar. 14, 2011

Due in June, the original Alice Cooper group box set comes in a commemorative 12-inch square "school desk" box and includes:

** Four CDs from the years 1964-1974:

- Disc 1: Demos, rarities, live, and advertisements
- Disc 2: Demos from "Muscle Of Love", a pre-production of songs from "School's Out",1973 Madison Square Garden live track, and advertisements.
- Disc 3: Spoken word
- Disc 4: Live show of the 1971 "Killer" tour in St. Louis

* DVD (single disc in Amaray case) with three never-before-seen features (over two hours)

64-page, full-color yearbook style book with hard front and back cover:

- Period pictures of all band members, many never before seen
- Book written by Lonn Friend, a well-known heavy metal journalist

Gatefold folder containing:

- Two tour programs
- Ticket stubs
- Set list
- Five prints

* Bootleg Vinyl: 1971 "Killer" live show in St. Louis
* Seven-inch vinyl: Songs "Wonder Whose Lovin' Her Now" and "Lay Down & Die, Goodbye" from The Nazz
* Immediate download of the "Elected" music video (AliceCooper.com exclusive) — available as a M4V or MOV download as soon as you complete the pre-order transaction.

Price: $260.00

Pre-order at this location.

[alicecooper.com]

Re: OT: new ALICE COOPER box set due this summer
Posted by: folke ()
Date: March 15, 2011 16:53

That's nice! But we also need remastered deluxe cd's of Love it to death, Killer and School's out.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 17:03

folke
That's nice! But we also need remastered deluxe cd's of Love it to death, Killer and School's out.
i have the steve hoffman remastered gold discs of these two and they sound great but extra songs would be even better

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:05

A minor figure in rock. Definitely not a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. A perpetual opening act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 19:18 by 24FPS.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:45

24FPS
A minor figure in rock. Definitely not a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer. A perpetual opening act.

Uh, wrong. Wrong. And wrong.

They (Alice Cooper, the band) are RnR HoF-worthy if only for "School's Out." Add "I'm Eighteen" "Under My Wheels" "Billion Dollar Babies" etc. and there's no need to have this discussion.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:50

"A perpetual opening act" my eye. This box set looks awesome though the price is...daunting, to say the least.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 15, 2011 20:09

loog droog
24FPS

You have got to be kidding!

Loog Droog, you are right, right and right

Date: March 15, 2011 20:23

24FPS
alice cooper influenced everyone from the sex pistols, the ramones. guns n' roses, rob zombie , and many more bands have borrowed from the coop.

Date: March 15, 2011 21:11

I'll give you 'Eighteen' as a great teen anthem, but for the rest, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. His theatrics were hokey at best. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been scraping the barrel for a while now. Who's next? Black Oak Arkansas?

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:39

24FPS
I'll give you 'Eighteen' as a great teen anthem, but for the rest, you are wrong, wrong, wrong. His theatrics were hokey at best. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been scraping the barrel for a while now. Who's next? Black Oak Arkansas?

How much of the mans stuff do you actually know? The albums from Love it to death right through to Alice Cooper goes to Hell are timeless classics - Killer is one of the greatest album by anyone - ever. In fact I love all his stuff up to and including 83's surreal Dada album. Thereafter its a bit hit and miss, but The last temptation, Eyes of Alice Cooper and Dirty Diamonds are latter day masterpieces.

His stage show has always been the business. Have you ever seen him perform?

Regardless of whether you like his music or not, which is obviously subjective - do you seriously dispute his influence?

He was long overdue the nod for the Hall of Fame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 21:41 by letitloose.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:42

Alice Cooper's 1973 US tour broke box office records previously set by The Rolling Stones and raised rock theatrics to new heights; the multi-level stage show by then featured numerous special effects, including Billion Dollar Bills, decapitated baby dolls and mannequins, a dental psychosis scene complete with dancing teeth, and the ultimate execution prop and highlight of the show: the guillotine. The guillotine and other stage effects were designed for the band by magician James Randi, who appeared on stage during some of the shows as executioner. The Alice Cooper group had now reached its peak and it was among the most visible and successful acts in the industry. (Cooper's stage antics would influence a host of later bands, including, among others, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Kiss, Blue Öyster Cult, GWAR, W.A.S.P. and, later, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie.)

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:46

He did some great things but as far as this fellow Michigan boy is concerned, this box set reaches the threshold of how much Alice is too much.

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:47

ineedadrink
Alice Cooper's 1973 US tour..........raised rock theatrics to new heights;

Not sure that's anything to brag about.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 15, 2011 21:47

Great news for BV I think

Date: March 15, 2011 23:21

i have alice cooper's 1st box set but the only box set i'm going to dish out alot of money for will be the stones singles collection coming out next month but who knows june is still a few months away

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: March 15, 2011 23:47

ghostryder13
i have alice cooper's 1st box set but the only box set i'm going to dish out alot of money for will be the stones singles collection coming out next month but who knows june is still a few months away

These things are so damn cheap to produce you think they'd give us a break on the prices !!

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 16, 2011 00:31

I Loved Alice in my teen years saw him 73,75, and 77 i thought they were great. Then I gave up on anything that came out after " Goes to Hell" Album. I can only name about 4 songs that he came out with after 1980. I saw him in 2008 (31 year Gap) figured it would be a fun night of a throw back to my youth. He rocked the house down and the Guitar players were awesome, I will see him anytime I can going forward.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 16, 2011 00:38

Alice is another one of those "building block, landmark artist".
Without Alice doing his thing, who knows what else, who else, might not have happened? They all stand on top of each other shoulders going back to the delta, and before.

IMUHO one the coolest things about Alice is I can not tell when he went straight and sober. I wouldnt even know he was sober if I had not read about it. I have seen him on talk shows and he is funny as hell, kind of a wild man. I first saw him live starting way back the late 70s and I saw him live 2 years ago and I saw perform live many many times live in between.... somewhere in there he went sober, and I could not tell the difference in the show. He NEVER preaches about the sober BS, and unlike people like KISS and Ted Nugent who always brag it up about not partying, I never cared one way or another but I guess Alice was the crazed king of party and then he stopped, which no easy task. Alice has kicked ass every time I have seen live, he puts on a great show as he mixes the old with the new and it all kicks ass..... IMUHO He is a living legend who keeps on keeping on and he is beyond reproach. Maybe someday I might wake up sober, and I guess I will think of Alice, and follow his example and I will not say a word about it. I will just keep on living like nothing changed, and I wont go around preaching or heck I might just keep on partying until the day I die, who knows? heck maybe I already have, but just like Alice I aint preaching either way.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:16

$260 for a 4 cds and some bits of paper ?

No chance

I love Alice, and would maybe sniff this if it were all vinyl but no way

It'll be half price by Christmas

A legend for sure. A good bloke too

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:32

24FPS

One of the key influential figures in live rock music with a run of very successful early works still regarded as great rock music. Perpetual opening act? Seems to have opened for The Stones and was otherwise headliner/s since the early seventies. He/they should have been in the RRHOF years ago...as should Link Wray and Dick Dale.Oh wait, they must be minor figures as well with no influence on music whatsoever. Of course, the hall of lame does have the likes of Madonna in its "pantheon"...

Date: March 16, 2011 02:43

andy js
$260 for a 4 cds and some bits of paper ?

No chance

I love Alice, and would maybe sniff this if it were all vinyl but no way

It'll be half price by Christmas

A legend for sure. A good bloke too

umm its 4 cd's, 1 dvd, 1 L.P., 1 seven inch vinyl single, a 64 page book, some tour swag all inside a minature school desk.
4 cd's= $50
1 dvd= $18
1 l.p.= $23
the vinyl single= $12
the 64 page book= $45
that equals= $148 on those rough estimates which means that packaging and tour stuff is about $100

Date: March 16, 2011 03:06

24FPS
No offense but i chuckle every time i read this.

Date: March 16, 2011 04:18

Well, ghostryder13, then you'll be slapping your knees at this: I lived in Atlanta in the early 70s and went to a lot of concerts. We didn't have the internet so it wasn't easy to get concert news. You had to rely on the underground newspaper (The Great Speckled Bird),and they often didn't print the name of the opening act. At least 3 or 4 times I went to see the likes of Johnny Winter, or the Allman Brothers and the opening act was ALICE COOPER. The crowd would groan the minute they announced him.

We wanted some high level blues rock and this clown was doing cheesy theatrics. A friend of mine, who had done some smack, had cleared out a row by barfing right there in his seat. He was miserable. Alice was on stage, swinging some skull on a chain and chanting "Sleep, sleep......." The place was absolutely quiet. Suddenly my junked-out friend sat up and yelled at the top of his lungs, "What do you think I'm trying to do, motherf#$ker!" The place cracked up and Alice never quite got his shit together the rest of the show.

And if you want to make the argument that Alice Cooper led to Kiss, fine. I hate them too. Popularity doesn't mean you're music doesn't suck.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 16, 2011 04:57

A HUGE disappointment when I saw him in 1980-81 in LA at the Greek Theatre. On and off stage in 1 hr.10 min. Horrible. After the gig, we met him and both my girlfriend and I thought he was an @#$%&. I hear that he has mellowed and is more friendly to his fans and general public these days.
He is what he is....an ACT. Hall of Famer? Hmmm....Probably. A unique rock and roller with a one of a kind stage act. Give him credit as he is rocking in his 60's.

Date: March 16, 2011 05:57

24FPS
Well, ghostryder13, then you'll be slapping your knees at this: I lived in Atlanta in the early 70s and went to a lot of concerts. We didn't have the internet so it wasn't easy to get concert news. You had to rely on the underground newspaper (The Great Speckled Bird),and they often didn't print the name of the opening act. At least 3 or 4 times I went to see the likes of Johnny Winter, or the Allman Brothers and the opening act was ALICE COOPER. The crowd would groan the minute they announced him.

We wanted some high level blues rock and this clown was doing cheesy theatrics. A friend of mine, who had done some smack, had cleared out a row by barfing right there in his seat. He was miserable. Alice was on stage, swinging some skull on a chain and chanting "Sleep, sleep......." The place was absolutely quiet. Suddenly my junked-out friend sat up and yelled at the top of his lungs, "What do you think I'm trying to do, motherf#$ker!" The place cracked up and Alice never quite got his shit together the rest of the show.

And if you want to make the argument that Alice Cooper led to Kiss, fine. I hate them too. Popularity doesn't mean you're music doesn't suck.

not sure what saying alice cooper opened for the ABB in atlanta proves. lets see:
1 its the ABB home state so they can draw a bigger crowd
2 i looked up the dates alice opened for them and it was before he broke big
3 look at all the hugely popular acts who opened for the rolling stones (pearl jam, metallica, etc) who were just as popular as the stones when they opened for them.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:19

The original Alice Cooper band played around Detroit a lot around the same time as the Stooges and the MC5. Compared to those two bands, the Alice Cooper band was a bunch of stumblebum sissies. Try playing any Killer and Raw Power back to back. The Stooges kick their asses and everyone else's asses!

Date: March 16, 2011 06:22

ab
The original Alice Cooper band played around Detroit a lot around the same time as the Stooges and the MC5. Compared to those two bands, the Alice Cooper band was a bunch of stumblebum sissies. Try playing any Killer and Raw Power back to back. The Stooges kick their asses and everyone else's asses!

why are we comparing punk rock to alice cooper? megadeth kicks the crap out of anything the stones did ut thats different genres

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:56

keefriffhard4life
ab

why are we comparing punk rock to alice cooper? megadeth kicks the crap out of anything the stones did ut thats different genres

When they were all gigging at the same time, there were no different genres. They were all hard rock bands vying for the same audience and entertainment dollars.

Check 'em out on the same bill in Cincinnati in 1970. Some bozo throws a cake at Alice Cooper, while Iggy walks on the audience's hands.

Snooze for Alice, wake up for Iggy. Feel all right!

Date: March 16, 2011 07:43

they are gigging so they are the same genre? what a dumb statement. alice is more of a garage rock sound with some really long theater piece songs. iggy pop is straight punk. i know poison and testament played gigs at the same time in the same area. are you going to tell me they are the same genre?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 16, 2011 07:43

I like the sound of what's in the box. At least we're getting an unreleased concert from the golden era. Include some demos with a great package, why not? The price is a bit steep but I will definately buy it. As far as the debate about whether he's good enough for the RNRHOF or any good at all I would have to reach back to Alice's own comment that some people just don't get it. A referance to his character. Mix that with a music that some purist revere and you end up with animosity. That's my opinion on the subject, for what it's worth. Go Alice!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home