Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Yes - Fragile
Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 14, 2011 22:50

Songs like And you and I and Close to the edge are anything but sterile.Their lyrics might be too vague to do so, but their music can truly resonate with people.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 14, 2011 22:51

StonesTod
Title5Take1
The type group...whose music is sterile and emotionless.

interesting opinion; and one rejected emphatically by millions of music fans.

With their huge fan bases Yes should collaborate with Garth Brooks.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 15, 2011 00:51

The Sicilian
Where does Chris Squire rank as a bass guitarist? Does anyone here feel that he is in the top echelon of bassists?

I'd rank him very highly. A notch below JAE.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:06

Title5Take1
StonesTod
Title5Take1
The type group...whose music is sterile and emotionless.

interesting opinion; and one rejected emphatically by millions of music fans.

With their huge fan bases Yes should collaborate with Garth Brooks.

Maybe they should cover Title5 to make you feel something.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: March 15, 2011 10:27

One of the very best live albums ever made comes from Yes: YESSONGS
perhaps Chicago's Live at Carnegie Hall (4 LP Box with massive extras) is in quality as good as Yessongs.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: March 15, 2011 18:37

Usually I don't like prog music for the qualities TitleV might be referring to - it don't move me. But Yes music is very different, because of the spiritual and emotional fervor of Jon Anderson's songwriting and singing. Title, listen to "Awaken" you will have your mind changed (and blown).

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:15

Claire_M
ab
keefriffhard4life
they are working on a new album

Who's involved? Wakeman's son and the kid from the tribute band?

Yes (BTW, the kid is in his early 40's).

I'm in my 50's. His bandmates are in their mid-60's. He's a relative kid and he played IN A F-CKING TRIBUTE BAND! If they're going into the studio, they should ring back the old castrati guy already.

I agree strongly with those who prefer Yessongs to their early studio albums. The production on those studio records was indeed sterile. The songs didn't work for me until I heard the live versions that gave them breathing room and life.

Date: March 16, 2011 06:23

ab
Claire_M
ab
keefriffhard4life

I'm in my 50's. His bandmates are in their mid-60's. He's a relative kid and he played IN A F-CKING TRIBUTE BAND! If they're going into the studio, they should ring back the old castrati guy already.

I agree strongly with those who prefer Yessongs to their early studio albums. The production on those studio records was indeed sterile. The songs didn't work for me until I heard the live versions that gave them breathing room and life.

how is it a tribute band? they recorded material 30 years ago without anderson

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:41

keefriffhard4life
ab
Claire_M
ab
keefriffhard4life

And we all saw how well the Drama version of Anderson-less Yes went over (like a lead balloon). The new singer was in a Yes tribute band in Quebec before he joined the actual group. It's no different from the guy from the Judas Priest tribute band who replaced Rob Halford.

Date: March 16, 2011 07:46

ab
keefriffhard4life
ab
Claire_M
ab
keefriffhard4life

And we all saw how well the Drama version of Anderson-less Yes went over (like a lead balloon). The new singer was in a Yes tribute band in Quebec before he joined the actual group. It's no different from the guy from the Judas Priest tribute band who replaced Rob Halford.

i liked drama. anderson is not medically cleared to do long tours. thats why the band went out without him in the first place.

anyways that is a slight lie. tim owens was in a band wintersbane that recorded and released original material. they would start the set with some priest cover tunes and on certain gigs i believe the called themselves british steel. his main gig was never a priest tribute band.

Date: March 16, 2011 16:20

Drama is an excellent record, even Jon Anderson says so. It's come to be appreciated by many people, known as Panthers - don't ask (OK, 'cause there's a panther on the album cover). The new fella, Benoit David is his name-oh, is a lovely person. There can be no replacing Jon, who's totally unique.

Chris Squire recently said he'd be open to Jon coming back "in two or three years" but I'm not holding my breath. Mr. Anderson will be pushing 70, and he's had some serious health crises in recent years.

Things are very bitter between the guys. Rick Wakeman said he'll never play with Yes again, he's done.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:23

Claire_M
Chris Squire recently said he'd be open to Jon coming back "in two or three years" but I'm not holding my breath. Mr. Anderson will be pushing 70, and he's had some serious health crises in recent years.

Things are very bitter between the guys. Rick Wakeman said he'll never play with Yes again, he's done.

So what happened with Rick Wakeman that caused all this bitterness?

Date: March 16, 2011 16:30

He's angry at how they treated his buddy Jon. The classic line-up (including Rick) was all set to tour in 2008 when Jon had a major asthma attack. He was too ill to tour and his prognosis was shaky. Chris Squire then reportedly set about looking for a replacement singer.

There were money tensions - as ever - in addition to the health issues. Jon has long asked for/demanded more money than the other guys because his role as singer is so demanding. It *is* very demanding music to sing, at any age, let alone if you're a frail asthmatic in your 60's.

Rick doesn't want to do big lengthy tours anymore either, because of the age thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 16:32 by Claire_M.

Date: March 16, 2011 16:40

Claire_M
He's angry at how they treated his buddy Jon. The classic line-up (including Rick) was all set to tour in 2008 when Jon had a major asthma attack. He was too ill to tour and his prognosis was shaky. Chris Squire then reportedly set about looking for a replacement singer.

There were money tensions - as ever - in addition to the health issues. Jon has long asked for/demanded more money than the other guys because his role as singer is so demanding. It *is* very demanding music to sing, at any age, let alone if you're a frail asthmatic in your 60's.

Rick doesn't want to do big lengthy tours anymore either, because of the age thing.

You know when a band has been together somewhat for decades, then suddenly the singer decides that his job is more demanding than the others and that he should be paid more, I can see that causing tensions amoungst the bandmates.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:56

tatters
The Sicilian
Where does Chris Squire rank as a bass guitarist? Does anyone here feel that he is in the top echelon of bassists?

I'd rank him very highly. A notch below JAE.

I rank him near the top. Here's a good example:

Date: March 16, 2011 18:34

Nice video. Love the "Amazing Grace" segway part.

His Royal Bassness takes a bow
Date: March 16, 2011 18:53

That was gorgeous - thank you, Kovach. When these auld rock gods are gone, I don't think we'll see their like again.

Gotta get my hands on that Union video, didn't even know it existed...

Re: His Royal Bassness takes a bow
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 17, 2011 21:22

That was an awesome tour, something for everyone, played old and new for about 3 1/2 hours.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: March 18, 2011 12:27

I liked Fragile a lot, in front of all the four ”group works”. Five of the nine tracks are circling around each member. But "The Yes Album" is more fun to listen to.

I’m glad I saw Bill Bruford live 2006 before he quit touring. Amazing drummer.

Funny story is when Alan White replaced Bruford. White had rehearsed with Yes but hadn’t dedide to join the group. A forthcoming American tour was approaching. The members at last threatened White that they would throw him out the window if he didn’t say Yes. And beacause they were on the third floor, he accepted.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 18, 2011 16:46

Claire_M
....The new fella, Benoit David is his name-oh, is a lovely person. There can be no replacing Jon, who's totally unique.

Chris Squire recently said he'd be open to Jon coming back "in two or three years" but I'm not holding my breath. Mr. Anderson will be pushing 70, and he's had some serious health crises in recent years.....

I am looking forward to seeing the new line-up this weekend. It should be noted the venue is a 1.500 capacity club as are most of the stops on this, and apparently, recent tours.

Date: March 18, 2011 17:59

Have fun, R. I hope you share your impressions with us afterward.

Posted by: Strider ()
Date: March 18, 2011 18:45

Fragile is great.

Yes is great.

One of my first loves!

Sucks they don't have Rick and Jon with them anymore.

Date: March 23, 2011 14:46

R
I am looking forward to seeing the new line-up this weekend. It should be noted the venue is a 1.500 capacity club as are most of the stops on this, and apparently, recent tours.

What's up, R. - did you go to the Yes show and did you like it?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home