Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT for those that doubt Ringo Starr's drumming ability...
Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:42

quote="Happy Jack":
Ringo was a good drummer for the group he was in, however he was replaceable as evidenced by the fact that the Beatles replaced him for a tour in 1964.

Yes, but was because he was ill and they had a tour to do. Way too late to cancel it.

Btw, if you listen to the tracks on which the drummer replacement -Jimmy Nicol- played, you will notice that maybe he is a tecnical better drummer than Ringo was, BUT he didn't fit in the band at all. He is making way too much on those drums. Another evidence that Ringo's playing was extremely tasteful and perfect for the band he was in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-15 19:46 by Blueranger.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 15, 2011 19:44

I don't think it's ignorance or retardedness that make people have musical opinions...

I thought RS was Rock Steady, just not exciting or adventurous.
Still, way back I used to air drum to his only true drum solo on 'The End' mostly because I was sure that even I could actually play that.

But then I've always enjoyed Stewart Copeland far more than anyone else, and he never ever did a drum solo either.

Posted by: sizey ()
Date: March 16, 2011 00:44

This is the one for me. And this was 1966! Ringo Rocks

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 16, 2011 01:09

Nice fills and great playing from everyone on this gem...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:11

sizey
This is the one for me. And this was 1966! Ringo Rocks

Yes. Primo example of what Ringo was capable of. Also check out Ticket To Ride.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:17

tomk
Nice fills and great playing from everyone on this gem...

Written by George Harrison.

Eric Clapton - lead guitar
Nicky Hopkins - keyboards
Jackie Lomax - rhythm guitar and vocals
George Harrison - rhythm guitar
Paul McCartney - bass
Ringo Starr - drums

The best record the Beatles never made. And note how the "Get back to where you should be" line prefigured the Beatles own "Get back to where you once belonged".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 02:23 by tatters.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:35

I agree that good playing fits the song and this is my favorite Ringo bit ... love the syncopation.

josh.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:35

Munichhilton
I don't think it's ignorance or retardedness that make people have musical opinions...

I thought RS was Rock Steady, just not exciting or adventurous.
Still, way back I used to air drum to his only true drum solo on 'The End' mostly because I was sure that even I could actually play that.

But then I've always enjoyed Stewart Copeland far more than anyone else, and he never ever did a drum solo either.

Given the specifics of these comments, a lot of it is ignorance. Many people assume a better "technical" drummer would have made the Beatles better. Not true. Many also seem not to comprehend the role Ringo played in the studio, doing long hours of takes and re-takes, shaping arrangements, giving his all to the song (rather than his ego). Many "better" drummers (and I still don't accept the premise that Ringo was technically inferior) would not have had the patience (or taste) to play the way he did during those revolutionary recording sessions.

I just listened to some Ringo drumming after reading these posts. Some are on Beatles records, some from John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band (my personal favorite for Ringo's drumming.) He was almost always creative, inventive and tasteful. The idea that Ringo isn't as good as these "technically better" drummers is like saying Keith isn't as good as Jeff Beck. Yet Jeff beck never would have come up with all those songs and riffs, and that amazing feel, just like no other drummer could have created Ringo's parts.

So while a certain amount of this debate is personal taste (which is subjective), I do find many of the specific comments critical of Ringo to indeed be ignorant, so I will stick with that word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-16 02:37 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Josh2131 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 02:40

well said.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 16, 2011 04:01

Right on 71tele!! Great post!

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 16, 2011 05:07

He is a .....BEATLE.He can't suck even if he really is a bad drummer. Come on.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:09

Happy Jack
Ringo was a good drummer for the group he was in, however he was replaceable as evidenced by the fact that the Beatles replaced him for a tour in 1964.

And I suppose you think that John Entwistle wasn't much of a bassist. The Who played a gig with another bassist four days after he died in a coke orgy with two hookers in Vegas (sorry, I just love an excuse to say "coke orgy with two hookers in Vegas."). So, by your reasoning, he must've been a replacable hack.

Once tour contracts are signed, they usually can only be cancelled on limited grounds, among which are impossibility of performance. So it all comes down to what constitutes impossibility. The Beatles met their 1964 contractual commitments with another drummer. The Who met their 2002 contractual commitments with Pino Palladino. My understanding is that the Stones' contracts require that the band include Jagger, Richards and Watts.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 16, 2011 06:41

ab
Happy Jack

And I suppose you think that John Entwistle wasn't much of a bassist. The Who played a gig with another bassist four days after he died in a coke orgy with two hookers in Vegas (sorry, I just love an excuse to say "coke orgy with two hookers in Vegas."). So, by your reasoning, he must've been a replacable hack.

Once tour contracts are signed, they usually can only be cancelled on limited grounds, among which are impossibility of performance. So it all comes down to what constitutes impossibility. The Beatles met their 1964 contractual commitments with another drummer. The Who met their 2002 contractual commitments with Pino Palladino. My understanding is that the Stones' contracts require that the band include Jagger, Richards and Watts.

Moon missed a few shows early in the Who's career. Check the Who Concert File Book. The Beatles tour with Jimmy Nichols was only done due to Brian Epstein's commitment to the promoters and the contracts signed, not Ringo replaceability.
Epstein was known for always honoring the contracts he signed for Beatles' shows.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 16, 2011 08:59

Who dare to say that Charlie Watts is a more skilful rockdrummer than Ringo Starr?
Wouldn't that be a pretty stupid statement considered that Ringo was the drummer in The Beatles?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 16, 2011 12:35

Surely if you were part of the worlds most famous band and played a distinct part in making some of the finest records ever you can't really dispute how good you are?

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 16, 2011 16:14

i would say ringo was a more interesting and creative drummer than charlie.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 6, 2011 07:27

Nice pics of Ringo and Charlie together in 2006 at link >>> [robshanahan.photoshelter.com]

(The site won't allow them to copied to here.)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 6, 2011 09:23

Indeed, two Giants, and Ringo still wearing badges...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: April 6, 2011 12:37

Not only is the latter day muted tom tom sound easily recognized, but Ringo often had this gated sounding snare in the mid period. I believe that gated sound came from all the pinging they were doing. I recently heard an outtake of "Hello Goodbye"; the song is still all over the pl;ace, but Ringo's drumming is exceptional. To me the most surprising Ringo is always the Ringo playing a hard backbeat.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home