Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT:Tribute to Bob Dylan 1992 (Stones content)
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 2, 2014 08:01

Currently, PBS in the US is showing this Madison Square concert.

Ronnie Wood did a hell of a good day singing and playing Bob's "Seven Days More."

Features Clapton on fire, Eddie and Mike of Pearl Jam, Johnny Cash, George Harrison, The Band, Richie Havens at his best and many more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-02 08:03 by stonesrule.

Re: OT:Tribute to Bob Dylan 1992 (Stones content)
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 2, 2014 08:18

Yes, I remember when I saw that in 1992 or 1993 on TV. Ronnie Wood singing and playing Seven Days was one of the highlights of that concert, for me.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 2, 2014 11:31

Cristiano Radtke
Yes, I remember when I saw that in 1992 or 1993 on TV. Ronnie Wood singing and playing Seven Days was one of the highlights of that concert, for me.

Best cover ever of a Dylan-song if you ask me...beats even Hendrix 'All along the watchtower'

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 2, 2014 11:45

Come On
Cristiano Radtke

Best cover ever of a Dylan-song if you ask me...beats even Hendrix 'All along the watchtower'

Big RW fan as I am, I wouldn't go that far. IMO the Hendrix cover of All Along The Watchtower is one of the greatest covers of all time.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2014 11:46

beats even Hendrix 'All along the watchtower' .... no

ROCKMAN

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 2, 2014 12:23

Lou Reed doing "Foot of Pride" was mighty good on that show.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 2, 2014 15:21

And let's not forget Neil Young's excellent versions of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues and Watchtower. His sheets of noise guitar thing works well on those.

Date: March 2, 2014 16:09

Come On

I'm a big Ronnie (and Hendrix) fan, but to me this is the best Dylan cover ever made. But sometimes I prefer to hear All along the Watchtower, too. smoking smiley

Date: March 2, 2014 16:28

Seven Days - Ronnie Wood

2 1 2 0

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 2, 2014 16:29

Thats ridiculous! I just listened to this album yesterday and wished I could have seen the video. Crazy coincidence. Does anyone know if its gonna be on again? I checked but couldn't find anything, and seems odd that it would be on at 2 am only (please don't say it was on last night at like 8 pm and I missed it on the day I listened to it).

Date: March 2, 2014 16:45

RollingFreak
Thats ridiculous! I just listened to this album yesterday and wished I could have seen the video. Crazy coincidence. Does anyone know if its gonna be on again? I checked but couldn't find anything, and seems odd that it would be on at 2 am only (please don't say it was on last night at like 8 pm and I missed it on the day I listened to it).

This PBS special will be aired several times again this month.

[www.pbs.org]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 2, 2014 17:07

Cristiano Radtke
RollingFreak

This PBS special will be aired several times again this month.

[www.pbs.org]
Thanks so much!

Date: March 2, 2014 18:35

TO BE CLEAR about my previous post...I used to know Ronnie when he was younger and fun and sometimes vaguely thoughtful. But I lost a lot of respect for him along the way. Still, I wanted to be a "good guy" and be sure the Ronnie worshipers here wouldn't miss the PBS show when he really showed himself at his best..thus my original post.

However, to compare him to Hendrix is completely ludicrous. Rockman's post said it best.

Date: March 2, 2014 18:54

stonesrule
Still, I wanted to be a "good guy" and be sure the Ronnie worshipers here wouldn't miss the PBS show when he really showed himself at his best..thus my original post.

Yes he showed his best on this concert, and he did a very good live version of Seven Days.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 2, 2014 19:58

A real highlight of the show. Great how he spotlighted Booker and Steve.

Makes me feel Taylor is not the only one being underused on the current tour.

Date: March 2, 2014 20:23

stonesrule
TO BE CLEAR about my previous post...I used to know Ronnie when he was younger and fun and sometimes vaguely thoughtful. But I lost a lot of respect for him along the way. Still, I wanted to be a "good guy" and be sure the Ronnie worshipers here wouldn't miss the PBS show when he really showed himself at his best..thus my original post.

However, to compare him to Hendrix is completely ludicrous. Rockman's post said it best.

Kind of depend on how deep you're admiration for Dylan is...mine is very Deep so I Think Hendrix version is Nothin compared to the original...cool smiley On the same time I Think Woody's version of 'Seven days' is better than Dylans...someone understand what I'm Writing?

2 1 2 0

Date: March 2, 2014 20:30

Everyone has a right to his or her opinion.

Including the songwriter of "All Along the Watchtower." Bob Dylan was and remains "knocked out" by the Hendrix version. That's a FACT.

Date: March 2, 2014 20:35

stonesrule
Everyone has a right to his or her opinion.

Including the songwriter of "All Along the Watchtower." Bob Dylan was and remains "knocked out" by the Hendrix version. That's a FACT.

Nothing compared to how knocked out he were listening to McGuinns version of 'Tambourine Man'...That's DOUBLE FACTS! grinning smiley

Date: March 2, 2014 22:20

So sorry Come On. Didn't realize that you were friends with McGuinn and Dylan.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 2, 2014 22:21

Thank you stonesrule and Christiano, I'm going to set the DVR. smiling smiley

This looks to be a great show. It is airing multiple times in March in my area, probably the same around the country.

Something to look forward to as as we settle in for yet another snow storm here.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 2, 2014 22:29

For me the highlight of that show was

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: March 2, 2014 22:42

Lou Reed was fantastic in this

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 2, 2014 23:46

My Bluray of this classic show (just released) should be in the mail tomorrow or Tuesday...can't wait. I'm sure it'll be better than my old vhs recording.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 3, 2014 00:12

I imagine the Sinead OConnor meltdown is not part of the official release these days...

Date: March 3, 2014 01:14

latebloomer
Thank you stonesrule and Christiano, I'm going to set the DVR. smiling smiley

This looks to be a great show. It is airing multiple times in March in my area, probably the same around the country.

Something to look forward to as as we settle in for yet another snow storm here.

Another highlights from this concert are Neil Young's version of All Along the Watchtower and Just Like Tom's Thumb Blues. smileys with beer

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 3, 2014 02:46

SweetThing
I imagine the Sinead OConnor meltdown is not part of the official release these days...

You imagine incorrectly: her rendition of "War" is included (and a soundcheck of the song she intended to perform, "I Believe In You", is a bonus).

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 3, 2014 09:46

It's a shame that speaking of Dylan covers noone mentions Them's version of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2014 09:54

A great concert. Funnily, I recall thinking at the time that Dylan starts to be a used gun, and all there is a celebration left... Well, it is 22 years now, and the guy is doing damn great, writing new great chapters in his incredible story...

But I love Ronnie's reading of "Seven Days" there. I have always liked the original - it is Ronnie's song, even though Dylan wrote it! - but I think the version here is even better than the one in GIMME SOME NECK. Only thing that I miss here is Keith's back up vocals... Simply the best Ronnie solo track ever (even though I would say "I Can Feel The Fire" comes close). It surely is not any landmark tune from Dylan's pen, but still a solid tune, and Ronnie really makes it his own - his vocals and relaxed Rolling Stone rocking touch suits very well into it.

Of the origin of the song... was it something like Dylan first offered it to Clapton, who refused, and Ronnie - always in a right place in a right time - happened to be there as well, and asked if he could record it, which was alright with Bob. A lucky co-incidence, since I can't see Eric doing more justice to it (but yeah, he is on fire in the concert, as many others as well).

Thanks stonerule for bringing up the subject! I haven't actually listened the concert for ages. Time to do that.

(But hey. let's keep Hendrix out of this... grinning smiley)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 09:57 by Doxa.

Date: March 3, 2014 14:35

SweetThing
A real highlight of the show. Great how he spotlighted Booker and Steve.

Makes me feel Taylor is not the only one being underused on the current tour.

Have a closer listen to all the work he does on the current tour (also covering lots of Keith-parts), and then perhaps ask the question if he's really "underused"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-03 14:36 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: March 3, 2014 22:33

Towards the end, when McGuinn, Petty, Young, Clapton, Harrison and Dylan join together to perform My Back Pages, is one, of the most incredible recorded scenes in rock history.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1043
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home