Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Most Powerful Live Version of .... Start Me Up ??
Date: February 20, 2014 18:28

I would be interested to hear some opinions on which are the best live versions of " Start Me Up " .

In particular , I am looking for opinions of the best post - Steel Wheels / Urban Jungle performances of this song.

The opener on the "August Children" release seems pretty good for a 1990 version.

Is the Isle of Wight 2007 performance any good ??

Re: Most Powerful Live Version of .... Start Me Up ??
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:30

I know the FLASHPOINT version was worked on in a studio but it's still pretty kick ass. SEVENTH OF JULY boot is pretty good.

Possibly the best one is the Atlantic City PPV show performance. That's always been my fave.

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:35

The one they used to open one of their shows.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:40

Flashpoint and especially the FM broadcast of Wembley '90 are killer versions from 89/90. Hampton '81, Leeds '82 great too. Lastly, Hyde Park '13 rocks hard too, especially with the reworked intro!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 20, 2014 18:47

Dallas, Texas 1989 it's from a bootleg Texas Rangersgrinning smiley

Date: February 20, 2014 18:48

Flashpoint or Atlantic City.

The UJ versions have a very tinny guitar sound.

Date: February 20, 2014 18:54

The tempo of the 89-90 tours is the best I think. Fast and snappy, tight, solo. Not the lumbering yawn like it was in 81-82 or every tour since 89-90.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:07

The version I heard on the No Security Tour in Anaheim topped all of them. It happened about 3/4ths into the show. Keith hit the first three notes and then just stood there dramatically, waiting for the audience to roar. Then steamers exploded out of the ceiling and the song continued. It was real gunslinger, man.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: February 20, 2014 20:53

I like the Tokyo ' 90 broadcast version a lot, especially the VGP version. First you got pause music, it stops, a huge applause of the audience, then the Continental Drift music starts...stops... continues and goes faster and faster, than a huge explosion and Keith strikes the first chords of Start me up! Wow!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: February 20, 2014 22:31

I like the earlier SMUs.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 21, 2014 10:04

I've always liked the version on Still Life

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: February 21, 2014 11:00

If you're searching "powerful" versions, check the MTV VMA '94 performance too. Even with the mistake (live broadcast and The Stones), they're working hard.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 21, 2014 11:32

I Think the last show at the O2 in august 2007 captures the song at its best.

Something about the mood and the way they all contribute, especially Charlie.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 11:37

I like the 81/82 versions, including the Still Life and LSTNT versions, overdubs and all
But it was a remarkable fresh opening of the 1989/1990 tour. And with those explosions at the same time as they started playing......good memories!
But just like Miss You and Brown Sugar, it didn't need to stay in the setlist after that, I'd say

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 21, 2014 12:52

Toronto '89. There is a soundboard, great solo by Ronnie. This had to be on Flaspoint and not the sterile overdubbed version. One of the few songs from the Vegas era that I prefer to versions from the genuine era before.

Date: February 21, 2014 13:20

RobertJohnson
Toronto '89. There is a soundboard, great solo by Ronnie. This had to be on Flaspoint and not the sterile overdubbed version. One of the few songs from the Vegas era that I prefer to versions from the genuine era before.

What is overdubbed on the SMU version on Flashpoint, btw? I can't hear any overdubs on that version - maybe it's just my ears confused smiley

Miss You, however, is an overdub-fest...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 21, 2014 13:39

None comes close to the original studio version though. I'm afraid...

Date: February 21, 2014 13:49

Stoneage

Re-creating the guitar sound on the original is impossible <3 Mesa Boogie winking smiley

Date: February 21, 2014 15:41

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

What is overdubbed on the SMU version on Flashpoint, btw? I can't hear any overdubs on that version - maybe it's just my ears confused smiley

Ronnie's solo is an overdub.

Date: February 21, 2014 15:48

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

That's hilarious if true. It's the same solo he played throughout the tour...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 17:04

I was recently listening to Start Me Up from the '94 VMA's. I was impressed. They slowed it down from how the played it on steel wheels. Keith's playing is really good throughout. Lots of energy on this version.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 18:06 by ryanpow.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 21, 2014 17:07

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

He didn't play always the same on SMU. There is a great difference between the sterile overdub on Flashpoint and the vivid solo in Toronto (If you don't have the boot, compare the solo on "Atlantic City" to the solo on Flashpoint). It is more colourful, more flesh on the bones and so on. It fits essentially better to the rocking tune and Keith rhythm guitar, on Flashpoint it is a thin and incoherent series of notes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 17:10 by RobertJohnson.

Date: February 21, 2014 17:32

Yes, there are differences, but those are just small nuances, imo.

Anyways, it will never be a guitar solo that determines whether it is a good version of SMU or not for me smiling smiley

Date: February 21, 2014 17:58

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

Not exactly. All of the solos I've heard have been completely different, with the best one being the Atlantic City solo. The FLASHPOINT solo is great but he had time to get everything right about it since it's an overdub! The solo in At The Max is horrible.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 21, 2014 18:03

Cirkus 2003 is pretty good, better than the Olympia 2003 version released on Live Licks. The 2013 versions are just slow and horrible (except for Hyde Park which are kind of boring too). I reallt hope Start Me Up will sound better in 2014.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: February 21, 2014 18:09

My fav version is isle of wight festival.
ronnie nailed the guitar break.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 21, 2014 19:23

DandelionPowderman

Anyways, it will never be a guitar solo that determines whether it is a good version of SMU or not for me smiling smiley

I agree. This is a funky song. Its about the rhythm and the riff.

Date: February 21, 2014 19:52

24FPS
The version I heard on the No Security Tour in Anaheim topped all of them. It happened about 3/4ths into the show. Keith hit the first three notes and then just stood there dramatically, waiting for the audience to roar. Then steamers exploded out of the ceiling and the song continued. It was real gunslinger, man.

Was it the first show on February 9th (with Moonlight Mile , Sweet Virginia , Before They Make Me Run , Thief in the Night , and Imagination) or was it the 2nd night on February 11th (with Memory Motel , Shine a Light , You Got the Silver , You Don't Have to Mean It , and When the Whip Comes Down) ??

- Thanks.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: February 21, 2014 20:12

Stoneage
AMEN,IS LAME LIVE

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 21, 2014 20:35

I was moved to tears by the Folksmen's version...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-21 20:39 by Munichhilton.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1263
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home