Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SOME GIRLS 33 1/3
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 17:50

Looks like it could be a good entry to the 331/3 series:

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Re: SOME GIRLS 33 1/3
Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: March 3, 2011 18:13

hopefully it'll be good. i haven't read any of them but i've heard some are good and others aren't, depending on the author.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 3, 2011 21:55

The Bill Janovitz 33 1/3 Exile book is brilliant, some of the best and deepest writing I've ever seen on the Stones--or on any other band, for that matter. As good as Anthony DeCurtis's notes for the deluxe box were, they didn't even approach it.

Janovitz helped me hear more in, and care more about, a recording I'd been enjoying for decades.

If this one gets anywhere close, it'll be worthwhile.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 3, 2011 22:15

A mash-up of Some Girls and this?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 3, 2011 22:50

ineedadrink
hopefully it'll be good. i haven't read any of them but i've heard some are good and others aren't, depending on the author.

They're hit and miss. Some are exceptional - Bowie's Low, Born in the USA, Pink Flag, Paul's Boutique, Illmatic, Swordfishtrombones.

Perhaps the best one of all is ... wait for it - Celine Dion's Let's Talk About Love. Why? The writer hates the album, Celine's music in geberal, and her sad fans. Really really funny and surreal.

Others are dreadful - Sign O The Times, Armed Forces, There's A Riot Goin' On.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 5, 2011 20:48

the author of this upcoming Some Girls volume is somewhat unusual for rock criticism. I've actually read one of his academic works for my own research:
[www.amazon.co.uk]

but while I like that book,I can't say if this bodes good or ill for such a different project as the 33 1/3 series. He might take a very oblique approach to the job of writing about a famous rock album.

+1 for the one about Wire's Pink Flag, by Wilson Neate. Serves as a good follow-up to the excellent but now dated Everybody Loves a History. Have also heard good things about the Bowie - Low. I have the Kinks - Village Green, and it's so-so.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1936
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home