Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Closing of the Winterland in San Francisco 1978
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 28, 2013 05:36

I was noodling thru some Winterland shows and came across this on Wiki. My question is was anyone there for closing night on New Years Eve 1978, and if so, can you describe your experience, especially what a six hour Grateful Dead show was like.

Or any Winterland memorable show will do. I would expect to find DaveG, BluzDude and some others with stories.

Final concerts

During Winterland's final month of existence, shows were booked nearly every night. Acts included The Tubes, The Ramones, Smokey Robinson, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and on December 15–16, 1978, Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band. Springsteen's December 15 show was simulcast on local radio station KSAN-FM and Springsteen historians consider that show one of his most legendary. Winterland closed on New Years 1978/1979 with a concert by the Grateful Dead, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and The Blues Brothers. The show lasted for over eight hours, with the Grateful Dead's performance — documented on DVD and CD as The Closing of Winterland — lasting nearly six hours itself. The final show was simulcast on radio station KSAN-FM and also broadcast live on the local PBS TV station KQED. Winterland was eventually torn down in 1985, and was replaced by apartments. Its original back entrance door for musicians is currently up for sale on Wolfgang's Vault for $1,000,000.

Re: OT - Closing of the Winterland in San Francisco 1978
Posted by: MJRocksoff ()
Date: February 28, 2013 16:19

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2013 17:16

The Sicilian
what a six hour Grateful Dead show was like.

confused smiley

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 28, 2013 18:02

1968-Jimi Hendrix Experience Winterland
4 colored cd's with booklet.
This is amazing stuff and one of the best Jimi Hendrix recordings ever.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: February 28, 2013 22:10

I remember watching it live on KQED (Channel 9). Blues Brothers were great - can't remember if they broadcast the entire show.

I do recall hearing that Bill Graham served up Breakfast for the fans as they left the show (Bacon & Eggs).

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: February 28, 2013 22:13

mccparty
I remember watching it live on KQED (Channel 9). Blues Brothers were great - can't remember if they broadcast the entire show.

I do recall hearing that Bill Graham served up Breakfast for the fans as they left the show (Bacon & Eggs).

Great show...I think this is the one where Bob tells the story of how Uncle Bobo got his name, right?

Date: February 28, 2013 22:19

Not sure about that. My 'Dead-lore' is a bit rusty. winking smiley

Date: February 28, 2013 22:22

mccparty
Not sure about that. My 'Dead-lore' is a bit rusty. winking smiley

I think it is. A great year/era from SF's finest. I keep waiting for Michael Cohl to serve us breakfast after a marathon Stones concert. My patience is running out.

Date: February 28, 2013 22:25

Well, if he does serve up some breakfast, it sure as Hell will not be free!!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 28, 2013 22:38

Am I reading that right? A million dollars for a door?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 28, 2013 23:34

six hours of the Grateful Dead must've been hell...not even the Blues Brothers could have made that endurable...

Date: March 1, 2013 00:09

They often went to hell - usually in a bucket - but I guess you wouldn't enjoy that ride, munich....

Date: March 1, 2013 00:52

Munichhilton
six hours of the Grateful Dead must've been hell...not even the Blues Brothers could have made that endurable...

Fantastic pic, look at that stage! Looks like they were tearing the place down during the show.

Date: March 1, 2013 01:16

GRNRBITW
They often went to hell - usually in a bucket - but I guess you wouldn't enjoy that ride, munich....

Guess not. They always sounded like an overhyped garage band to me. Still do. Jerry and I share a birthday too so I'm so disappointed in their musical drivel. I enjoyed the taping of the 'grey' song at Laguna Seca back whenever that was. Does that help?

No matter

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: March 1, 2013 01:23

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

Guess not. They always sounded like an overhyped garage band to me. Still do. Jerry and I share a birthday too so I'm so disappointed in their musical drivel. I enjoyed the taping of the 'grey' song at Laguna Seca back whenever that was. Does that help?

No matter

One thing for sure about the Dead, you either love them or hate them! I'm in the love section. One of my top 5 bands of ALL time...

Date: March 1, 2013 01:28

2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

No matter

One thing for sure about the Dead, you either love them or hate them! I'm in the love section. One of my top 5 bands of ALL time...

Really?

You're not alone, but it ain't my thing at all. I grew up with them in every direction on the central coast and after hearing Keith's Tele it just made them sound so very under average...even subpar...even bad.

I bet you like Phish too, eh?

Date: March 1, 2013 01:33

Phish is in a league of their own. No phish-dissing allowed.

There's still time for Munich to learn what proper music-appreciators have known for years: The Grateful Dead are awesome. Don't give up hope!

Date: March 1, 2013 01:51

Keith's Telecaster tone shone a light on musical mediocrity in the 70/80 area... I'm just happy to have gotten out alive...and not dead.

Thanks Keith. Again.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 1, 2013 03:39

The Sicilian
Munichhilton

Fantastic pic, look at that stage! Looks like they were tearing the place down during the show.

John Cipollina from Quicksilver Messenger Service there onstage with the Dead. After the Airplane and the Dead, San Francisco's third great psychedelic band. I like to think their "Mona" was a tribute to the Stones as well as to Bo.

The setup for the show was vintage Bill Graham: Apart for all the fun spectacle and the care (bacon and eggs!) for the audience, there was a real sense of musical occasion as the last great venue from the heyday of San Francisco rock passed from the scene. Graham urged the Dead to make their set a real overview of their career and to nod more than usual to their late-60's sound. Hence, the additions of "Dark Star," "St. Stephen," and "We Bid You Goodnight" (and of Cipollina himself) to the set. Pretty interesting to see those tunes in the list alongside Shakedown Street material.

Here's the recording of the Dead that night:

[www.amazon.com]

And here's a shot of the Dead's "Wall of Sound" setup in Winterland about a year after the Stones had blown through. Love that Bill had hung banners above the stage honoring his two favorite bands:

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: March 1, 2013 05:30

Listen to the Winterland 1973 Box Set.

Date: March 1, 2013 05:45

MJRocksoff

Who was the second drummer playing with the Dead on this?

Date: March 1, 2013 05:51

Didn't watch the clip but Billy and Mickey in '78.

Date: March 1, 2013 17:40

This is the Grateful Dead's first set at midnight. Watch in the very beginning a prop flying joint with a man sitting inside dressed as a wizard buzzes over the crowd until the clock strikes midnight. They played until 6:00am

Date: March 1, 2013 18:17

The Sicilian
This is the Grateful Dead's first set at midnight. Watch in the very beginning a prop flying joint with a man sitting inside dressed as a wizard buzzes over the crowd until the clock strikes midnight. They played until 6:00am

The "man" in the flying joint is Bill Graham! Father Time himself!

Date: March 1, 2013 18:48

mccparty
The Sicilian

The "man" in the flying joint is Bill Graham! Father Time himself!

Nice! Those were the days. Check out the jam version of "It's All Over Now" at 55:15 min.

Date: March 1, 2013 19:49

Munichhilton
2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

No matter

Really?

You're not alone, but it ain't my thing at all. I grew up with them in every direction on the central coast and after hearing Keith's Tele it just made them sound so very under average...even subpar...even bad.

eh no!

Date: March 1, 2013 19:58

2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

No matter

Really?

eh no!

They usually go hand in hand...glad to hear it. This is where I would add a few words about Phish but I'm not allowed.

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: March 1, 2013 20:04

The Dead played three sets and the show can be d/l from places such as btetree and expands to 4 cds.
This must relate to about 5 hours of music.There would have been breaks between sets.

Date: March 1, 2013 20:07

Phish is nothing like the GD other than maybe hippie types like both band. If anything Phish reminds me of Zappa.

The GD has Hunter, even Dylan writes with Hunter.

Date: March 1, 2013 20:13

Munichhilton
2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
2000 LYFH
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW

No matter

Really?

eh no!

They usually go hand in hand...glad to hear it. This is where I would add a few words about Phish but I'm not allowed.

I have actually never really heard them, so can't give you an honest opinion. The only thing I know about them is in concert they play albums all the way through which must take some doing.

And since you are here, you obviously have good taste even if the Dead is not your thing (give Europe 72 a spin). What else is up there with the Stones?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1034
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home