Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Is Charlie Watts the heart of the stones?
Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: March 2, 2011 01:18

Mick Taylor was the SOUL during his brief stay. Mick is the Mind & Creativity which are one and the same really. He's also the real backbone behind the band, the one who doesn't mind tackling the unpleasant business duties that come with being the leader of the greatest band on the planet!
Charlie is the steady one, the one that they all seem to look to, like the pendulum, always ticking, keeping them all in time. Keith used to be Mick's partner...I'm not sure where he fits in anymore.

Posted by: akgameboy ()
Date: March 2, 2011 02:03

I respect him for only having sex with one woman in the 60's and 70's--his wife.
I saw a picture on here once from Bill's book, in which he claims that the band members kept track of the amount of girls they'd been with. Bill was over a thousand--truly disgusting if true. Charlie was at 1.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2011 02:16

Your probably right akgameboy

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 2, 2011 02:31

stones78
treaclefingers
Charlie = Heart
Keith = Soul
Mick = Mind
Brian = Creativity
Bill = Libido

I'd switch Keith & Brian.

OK, not that you couldn't have done this yourself, but just to show that I'm flexible...

Charlie = Heart
Keith = Creativity
Mick = Mind
Brian = Soul
Bill = Libido
...and let us not forget:
Ron = Liver (thx Rockman)
M. Taylor = Fingers

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 2, 2011 02:38

YES. He wasn't the Star, he was the safety net (along with Bill) that allowed Mick and Keith to swing for the fences, if they fell short that safety net was there to protect them from sounding bad. Didn't name my dog Charlie for nothing.

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: March 2, 2011 03:01

I think its the combination of Charlie and Keith that is the core of the group's sound. Keith has said that in the early days before they had monitors on stage, he couldn't hear anything, so he'd get right next to Charlie, and play to Charlie's kick drum, and that helped forge the unified sound that they have now.

And in the Dallas '72 rehearsals its often just Keith & Charlie jamming, and you can hear the stripped down rhythmic essence of the Stones.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 2, 2011 04:24

If he's not the Heart, he is certainly the Heartbeat

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 2, 2011 08:47

No. Charlie probably think The Rolling Stones is history in his life...

Ronnie Wood is the man...musically...nowadays...and Darryl if he counts...Mick is still good in a studio...Keith is....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 2, 2011 08:56

Where & when was that photo of Charlie, Shirley, Ringo & Maureen taken? Very interesting.

Date: March 2, 2011 09:00

Yeah, it's Ringo around 1970..he had that beard when doin 'Beaucoups of Blues'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 2, 2011 09:17

Well Ringo had that beard for a few years and his hair was much shorter on the BEAUCOUPS OF BLUES cover but anyway, it looks like the photo was taken at some sort of event. Also, I haven't seen many photos of Charlie & Ringo together. Hence my query.

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: March 2, 2011 11:08

I think for the moment is the heart of the stones just $$$$

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: March 2, 2011 13:34

My mistake Rockman.
Rolling Stones are Mick and Keith, and this Charlie and Bill know very well.
And Mick and Keith are everything in Stones.
In LIFE you could see that keith is involved even in bussines part.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: March 2, 2011 17:52

I agree, Charlie views it as a job, and a damn good paying job over the past 22 years. He goes to the office does his thing and leaves for home.

Blueranger

Charlie has been the steady man of the band since the beginning. Not a lot else. He is an employee -and a good one.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 2, 2011 18:17

Glam Descendant
Where & when was that photo of Charlie, Shirley, Ringo & Maureen taken? Very interesting.

Looks like the wedding in France from Mick and Bianca

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2011 18:23

Is Prince Rupert/Cohl the heart of the stones?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 2, 2011 20:20

Listen from 5:25 - that's how the audience like Charlie.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: March 3, 2011 00:24

treaclefingers
Charlie = Heart
Keith = Creativity
Mick = Mind
Brian = Soul
Bill = Libido
thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 3, 2011 02:19

The sum of the parts are what is the heart of the Stones. It's not anyone person that makes the heart of the Stones. Without each and everyone Mick would have gone back to the LSE, Brian would have wandered about Briain playing blues and knocking up women, Charlie would be in advertising, Keith would be unelegeantly wasted, Bill would have kept playing in bar bands, Mick Taylor would never have gotten a chance and Ronnie would still be a rock star! None of them save for MT is a virtuso musician. They were all in the right place at the right time and together as a band made some of the best music ever made.

Charlie is to me an English counrty gentleman.

Posted by: Blue ()
Date: March 3, 2011 08:23

In the early days, Brian played a pretty mean, mean harmonica..?virtuoso maybe?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 3, 2011 11:29

Sam Spade
I agree, Charlie views it as a job, and a damn good paying job over the past 22 years. He goes to the office does his thing and leaves for home.

Blueranger

Charlie has been the steady man of the band since the beginning. Not a lot else. He is an employee -and a good one.

Which is not true at all, as he is also involved in the design of the stage, artwork, T-shirts and so on. As I understand it, Charlie closely works with Mick on everything outside record making.

Mathijs

Date: March 3, 2011 11:34

Blue

Virtuoso...Multi defenitivo..smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 3, 2011 11:50

Mathijs
Sam Spade

Blueranger

Which is not true at all, as he is also involved in the design of the stage, artwork, T-shirts and so on. As I understand it, Charlie closely works with Mick on everything outside record making.

Mathijs

Exactly, Charlie's "I'm no interested it at all, I am bored, and I'd prefer say at home and as far as as possible from the show business (rock'n'roll)" image is as far as from reality as Keith's outlaw/pirate image or Mick's peterpan-image is from it - just keeping up appearances. Charlie is as much involved with the Stones as Mick and Keith ever are. The caricatures sell a lot of tickets, and I admit, Charlie's image is the coolest of them all nowadays. It and him has aged best of all of them. I hope he never writes autobiography, and decides to "reveal" things...cool smiley

Like I said in another thread more amazing than why, say, Taylor or Wyman quitted, it is ask why Charlie hasn't if any of his image is taken for granted. But image is image...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-03 11:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: purepop ()
Date: March 3, 2011 14:22

Charlie Watts is absolutely the Heart of the Stones.

Date: March 3, 2011 21:54

Thank you Red Rooster...I sorta thought so..smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 3, 2011 21:55

Come On
Blue

Virtuoso...Multi defenitivo..smoking smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 3, 2011 22:59

I was VERY annoyed to read in Keith's LIFE that Charlie was originally going to play with Chuck and the band inHail Hail Rock and Roll but the gig went to Steve Jordan instead. I'm not that crazy about Steve Jordan's drumming, as much as some people love him.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 3, 2011 23:24

Well if you mean be 'heart of the Stones' by encapsulationg the drive, gusto and life of the band, then absolutely not. His standoffish, too-cool-for-rock jazz drummer-who-dresses-better-than-you attitude and complaining about every Vegas tour... this is the 'heart' of this band??

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 4, 2011 00:28

jamesfdouglas
Well if you mean be 'heart of the Stones' by encapsulationg the drive, gusto and life of the band, then absolutely not. His standoffish, too-cool-for-rock jazz drummer-who-dresses-better-than-you attitude and complaining about every Vegas tour... this is the 'heart' of this band??

What you say is totally true, however the boys in the band appear to love him, and from their perspective, he probably is.

Personally, I think Jagger now IS this band, like it or hate it.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: March 5, 2011 03:52

I like Charlie because he is so cool and likeable. On stage, he gives the appearance of being bored to tears. But, wow, that drumming, with that slight delay and different perception of the music, is awesome. His playing is simple, direct, and full of feelng.

I have never seen such a small drum kit. He is a minimalist.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home