Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Releases in 2011 so far
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:17

Whlie waiting for our favourite pensioners to wake up again, what have been interesting releases in 2011 so far?

I really enjoy the new Decemberists album, The King Is Dead. It's a friendly sounding folkrock record, that has a great organic feel to it. Liams new album/band is just as exciting as the last Oasis records were (not). And then there's Go-Go Boots by the Drive By Truckers. While not a brilliant album, the title track is great.

So, what are your favourite releases so far?

Re: OT: Releases in 2011 so far
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:18

Blessed - Lucinda Williams

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:26

Good start to the year for new releases so far - agree with the above, very impressed with the Decemberists and Lucinda albums. Social Distortion's record is a cracker as well.

With new albums by Steve Earle and Emmylou Harris coming up in the next few weeks, it's a good few months for fans of Americana music.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:52

Gregg Allman....

Posted by: John1982 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:22

I like the Beady Eye record & the new Bright Eyes.

But I'm really waiting for the new Foo Fighters record.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:56

The Social D is the best so far this year. The 'Truckers is also very good (better than the last) as is the Lucinda Williams which isn't a wrist-slitter for the first time in eons. I find the Gregg Allman to be too pedestrian.

Date: March 1, 2011 15:58

What about Keys to the Kingdom by the North Mississippi Allstars? Nothing special, but some nice songs on there as well.

(NMAS is the band of the sons of Jim Dickinson, Luther and Cody. Luther was also part of the latest Black Crowes line up)

Date: March 1, 2011 15:59

R
I find the Gregg Allman to be too pedestrian.

Agreed. T-Bone Burnett is to blame, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 1, 2011 16:03

mr edward
R

I had a chat with Johnny Sandlin's (mid '70s Capricorn Records house producer) wife a couple years back. She told me Gregg simply comes in and overdubs his voice onto finished tracks when making a solo album. It worked beautifully on "Laid Back" but I sense a disconnect on this new one.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 1, 2011 17:40

R
mr edward
R

I had a chat with Johnny Sandlin's (mid '70s Capricorn Records house producer) wife a couple years back. She told me Gregg simply comes in and overdubs his voice onto finished tracks when making a solo album. It worked beautifully on "Laid Back" but I sense a disconnect on this new one.

nothing wrong with his methodology...he's a singer, that's what singers do. but, i agree that the results on his new album are less than i expected based on the hype i'd read and have read from others. i think the album mostly suffers from too many medium-tempo'd numbers...kind of lulls me to disinterest....

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 5, 2011 06:47

I just brought the MILLION DOLLAR RIFF.. Various artists (3 Disc) Theres not even one Stones or Beatles song on..confused smiley

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: April 5, 2011 08:29

NORTHERN AGGRESSION by Steve Wynn tops the '11 releases for me so far, followed by:

RIOT NOW by Eleventh Dream Day

COLLAPSE INTO NOW by R.E.M.

HIGH AND INSIDE by The Baseball Project

DANCING BACKWARD IN HIGH HEELS by the New York Dolls (astonishingly terrific)

RED BARK TREE by Wire (they've managed to conflagrate their 80s sound with their 70s approach, superb)

CONTENT by Gang of Four

THE JEHOVAHCOAT DEMOS by Julian Cope (acquired taste)

And I'm anxiously awaiting the new Feelies album as well, their first in @ 20 years.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 09:10

King of Limbs by Radiohead is a bit somber, but still good. Not as good as In Rainbows though...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 5, 2011 09:30

The Fleet Foxes is brilliant. Got an early copy yesterday.
Greg Allman is one of the best blues album of the last few years.
Lucinda Williams - up to her usual high standards.
REM - getting better again.
Radiohead - weird but good weird with signs of tunes again.

Newcomer of the year - Anna Calvi. A tip to PJ Harvey. Such a great guitar player too.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 5, 2011 10:44

I have Go Go Boots by Drive By Truckers, not got into it yet

Blessed Lucinda Williams her best for a while

Angels by The Strokes, not keen at first but growing,not left the car CD player yet.

Ordered Gregg Allman a while ago still waiting for it to arrive.

Bit of an update

Played the Drive By Truckers a bit more,it's quite varied in it's content and pretty goods,growing on me.

Still loving the Lucinda Blessed release ,even the kitchen demos though they are a little roar and need to be listened to ,when in a more refective mood.

Angels still a good listen.

Gregg Allman's Low Country Blues now arrived and love it ,takes me back to when I first started listening to the Stones and all those Brithish R&B bands,some mighty fine playing on this album.

Now waiting for Boogie 4 Stu and the new Robbie Robertson to arrive,as far as I'm concerned a good year so far,just need something New and Good from our beloved heroes now .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-09 00:27 by adotulipson.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 5, 2011 10:46

REM album is ok verging on good
Lucinda Williams is good
Drive-By Truckers also good

Nothing so far that has me screaming 5 Stars!!

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: April 5, 2011 12:09

I was really dissapointed with the new Strokes album. Too much keyboards, 80's production and overall too slick.

Everything that made Is This It and Room On Fire such great records, is missing here.

Looking forward to Hot Sauce Committee Part 2, the new Beastie Boys album (expected in may).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 5, 2011 12:19

But no new albums like Strokes from 2001? just the usual....sad smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Handova ()
Date: April 5, 2011 13:10

I've just ordered the new New York Dolls album, even though I've been told it's not-too-good... So far that's the only 2011 release I'm having.

Date: April 5, 2011 13:29

whitesnake- forevermore
hurtsmile- self titled
gregg allman- low country blues
los lonely boys- rockpango
mr big- what if....
scheepers- self titled

Posted by: Melanie69 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 13:39

enjoying the new Whitesnake " Forevermore", sound is a little more bluesier than previous releases and Coverdales voice has aged quite nicely. Also check out "The World is Yours" by Motorhead, Classic sound and Lem is in fine form, PLAY IT LOUD!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 5, 2011 15:01

I like the new G Love disc, "Fixin to Die". Country blues with some blue-eyed soul.

Posted by: CrissCrossMind ()
Date: April 5, 2011 15:46

Best Releases So Far For 2011 -

ROBBIE ROBERTSON - HOW TO BECOME CLAIRVOYANT
(with guests Clapton, Winwood, Tom Morello, Robert Randolph and Trent Reznor)

SOUNDGARDEN - LIVE ON I-5
"Spoonman/Good Times, Bad Times" LIVE

P J HARVEY - LET ENGLAND SHAKE

PAUL SIMON - SO BEAUTIFUL OR SO WHAT

PEARL JAM - VS./VITALOGY/EXTRA TRACKS/LIVE CONCERT DISC BOX SET

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-04-05 16:12 by CrissCrossMind.

Posted by: folke ()
Date: April 5, 2011 15:49

Lykke Li - Wounded Rhymes

Date: April 5, 2011 17:15

was listening to robertson's new one over the weekend. not bad. his voice is still that acquired taste that's hard to acquire. but was surprised of how little of his guitar is featured - ec gets in plenty of licks, as does robert randolph.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:17

I forgot about the new Wire disc: excellent call! I like what I've heard of The Baseball Project too. A friend went to SXSW and saw them there- said they were very good.

Glam Descendant
NORTHERN AGGRESSION by Steve Wynn tops the '11 releases for me so far, followed by:

RIOT NOW by Eleventh Dream Day

COLLAPSE INTO NOW by R.E.M.

HIGH AND INSIDE by The Baseball Project

DANCING BACKWARD IN HIGH HEELS by the New York Dolls (astonishingly terrific)

RED BARK TREE by Wire (they've managed to conflagrate their 80s sound with their 70s approach, superb)

CONTENT by Gang of Four

THE JEHOVAHCOAT DEMOS by Julian Cope (acquired taste)

And I'm anxiously awaiting the new Feelies album as well, their first in @ 20 years.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 5, 2011 17:18

The Sucker Punch soundtrack.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: April 5, 2011 18:19

Roomful of Blues - Hook, Line & Sinker... Although their excursion into R&B/Soul (Watch You Go & There Goes The Neighborhood) are still my favorites, the new album is yet another addition into a long line of fun Jump Blues.

North Mississippi Allstars - Keys To The Kingdom... Good stuff which is growing on me with each additional listen. Not quite like Shake Hands or 51 Phantom which grabbed me the instant I heard them.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: April 5, 2011 18:24

mr_dja
Roomful of Blues - Hook, Line & Sinker... Although their excursion into R&B/Soul (Watch You Go & There Goes The Neighborhood) are still my favorites, the new album is yet another addition into a long line of fun Jump Blues.

any original members still playing in RofB? lots of great musicians have passed thru that band....

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: April 5, 2011 18:37

Taledragger by T-Model Ford and Gravelroad is a corker. Raucus blues-rockin' from the old man.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1815
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home