Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Natalie Cole trashes Amy Winehouse after the Grammys.
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:31

Some dessert after the Grammy's from Natalie Cole, what do you think?

"I don't think she should have won. I think it sends a bad message to our young people who are trying to get into this business, the ones who are trying to do it right and really trying to keep themselves together," said Cole, 58. "We have to stop rewarding bad behavior."

Of Winehouse, 24, who is currently in rehab in England, Cole says: "I'm sorry. I think the girl is talented, gifted, but it's not right for her to be able to have her cake and eat it too. She needs to get herself together."

On the seriousness of Winehouse's troubles, Cole – who over the years has battled her own substance-abuse problems, successfully – observes, "I mean, she could die. This isn't something that's cute and fun just to throw around in the press. The girl really has a problem, and I think for those of us who have been in the business long enough, we know the sacrifice it takes. This is about discipline and hard work, and you don't get to just do your drugs and go onstage and get rewarded."

"Her performance was fine," surmised Cole. "I don't take anything away from her talent, but I just feel like she's stepping into a place that she hasn't earned yet."
As for whom Cole, whose new jazz CD will be out in August, would have lavished with Grammy gold, the singer replied, "Rihanna, even Beyoncé. "I just feel like they're ready to go the long haul. You can tell how hard they work, they're great people, their heart is in the right place. These are the people we should be praising, these are the people we should be encouraging."

She added, "And the others, we need to help them."

Re: Natalie Cole trashes Amy Winehouse after the Grammys.
Posted by: roryg ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:44

Natalie Cole, what an expert on who deserves what. The only time she was recognized was after she did some familial grave robbing and sang a duet" was her vastly more talented father. Sheesh

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:45

I think Natalie's way off and doesn't know what she's talking about. What does Amy's behavior have to do with her winning a Grammy? A Grammy for her music. MUSIC. The award doesn't represent anything more than the work she put down on that record.

Do drugs, go onstage and get rewarded, she says. Pfff....gimme a break.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:58

What Rory and Justin said.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:01

natalie is 100% right, we must stop rewarding these publicity stunt rehab stints, stop giving them attention and these no talent bimbos will go away, they cant write songs and they cant sing, its a disgrace

Date: February 12, 2008 02:05

There WAS meant to be a rolling eyes smiley at the end of that post, right? LOL

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:06

Yeah, this crazy mess must come to an end....

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:27

What an amazing hypocrite; that shill was infamous for her drugging in the 80's:

"In 1982, Natalie entered a drug rehabilitation clinic and stayed for 30 days. However, she was soon after abusing drugs and alcohol again. She became incapable of handling her own affairs and her mother was named conservator of her estate. Natalie also had an operation to remove throat polyps. Later in 1983, Natalie entered a drug-treatment center in Minnesota. Among other things, she learned to admit that she had a problem and that she needed help. She finally won her fight against the addiction. The program was strict and Natalie did not leave the hospital until May 16, 1984. Her album, I’m Ready, sold only about 40,000 copies. In 1985, Natalie suffered another setback when Marvin Yancy died of a heart attack. "

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-25 00:42 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:34

And after Natalie Cole finished trashing Amy Winehouse after the Grammys, Amy Winehouse went and bought some crack and trashed Amy Winehouse.

Date: February 12, 2008 03:36

coulda been ohno haa. could have easily trashed herself...
i'm sure it dosen't help to have somebody who dosen't know her, or have much of a career, dare to trash her internationally for some cheap press.
amy's on a slender thread after all. I'm glad she's in full time recovery and hoping for the best. Natalie is way out of bounds here imo, and shows her true soul, which is not very shining.

no zealot like a (supposedly) convert.she does the 'damning with faint praise' kinda passive aggressive thing on the incredibly talented Winehouse.

Well this is more press that natalie has had in almost a decade, maybe longer, and is also good for her lecturing business, where she poses as a Saint. What a fake.

Natalie's first recording was as a 6 year old singing a xmas song on a Nat King Cole album; boy, that's really 'earning' it the hard way; what a total hypocrite

She gives speeches on the lecture circuit instead of concerts, and this is great publicity for that; let's get real.
What an overtly cruel and useless comment; she could have been gracious and left a really responsible and cool anti-drug abuse message if she had one ounce of class or real love inside of her.

amy is an innovator with great natural genius. natalie is not, and never was.

Cashing in the de riguer celeb recovery 'bio':
""In 2000, Cole released an autobiography, Angel on My Shoulder, which described her battle with drugs during much of her life. In the book, Cole admitted to using LSD, heroin and crack cocaine...
...She also disclosed that she was arrested in Toronto, Canada for possession of heroin in 1975.
Cole continued to spiral out of control - including one incident where she refused to evacuate a burning building, and another where her young son Robert nearly drowned in the family swimming pool while she and her first husband, the late Reverend Marvin Yancy, were on a drug binge.[5] She did eventually enter rehab in 1983.[6]
In concert with the release of the book, her autobiography was turned into a made-for-TV movie, The Natalie Cole Story, which aired December 10, 2000 on NBC.""

Sure knows how to milk it don't she? Doin' crack while her kid almost drowns.
Should she be the one throwing stones at this young troubled girl? and in public?

After the celeb 'book,' a tv movie out of it? total hypocrite $leazy sleaze.

i'd say boycott her but nobody buys her stuff anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-25 00:38 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 12, 2008 04:28

melillo
natalie is 100% right, we must stop rewarding these publicity stunt rehab stints, stop giving them attention and these no talent bimbos will go away, they cant write songs and they cant sing, its a disgrace

EXACTLY !!! well said....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 04:46 by HelterSkelter.

Date: February 12, 2008 04:54

Her first album 'Frank' did very well in the UK in 2003.
Her second album made huge history, and will continue to.
i think it's platinum times 6 or so, and that's before the awards. Several hit singles also.
She is a singer/songwriter of great ability.
All the constant SHOUTING does not make an untruth true.

Well done Amy Winehouse. Here's hoping for her good health.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-25 00:44 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:09

what I want to know is who the hell Amy Winehouse is? Another squirt for Mick to bring up for a duet to show he's still "hip"?

Date: February 12, 2008 05:27

Beely, she doesn't need a visa to VISIT the USA as a Tourist, she's a UK citizen so she's in the "Visa Waiver" program for visits up to 3 months (as ALL UK and most EU citizens are) As far as working here. The visa she received on Friday was a Work/Performance Visa and intended for the Sunday Grammy show. If she puts a tour together or wants to work on a new album (or shoot a video or ANYTHING else that's work related) she's gonna have to go through the whole Visa process again and take her chances. The one she got on Friday is basically considered not used and no good in the future. These are complicated matters and best dealt with by responsible people. Why do you think the Stones ALWAYS rehearse in Canada? They only have so many days allowed in the USA and don't want to "burn them up" so Canada is perfect - get over Jet Lag and almost everything is very similar.......

Date: February 12, 2008 05:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-13 23:31 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 12, 2008 05:54

I think that makes Patti a Dual citizen if she wants to be (filled out some papers) - yeah, marriage or parents are the key thing for US citizens that want to also have a European passport. Oliver Stone did it about a year or 2 ago with one side (mom probably looking at his last name) and is now dual US/French. Keith might have a different arrangement since he lives basically in Conn.(also a place in NYC I think I read here) but the marriage probably did make it much easier (unless his lawyer wanted to go a different route for some reason) I have a lawyer friend who does this full time - it's very complicated and the laws are all screwed up... it's really a gigantic nightmare, I don't know how he continues to practice - the stress is unbelievable. Look at Amy's situation, they said no then they said yes (but it was VERY late) WTF is that?? All these decisions being made on a whim by God knows who... the whole system is a joke and needs to be redone..... we'll see WHEN that happens....

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: February 12, 2008 06:53

Nat King Cole's daughter - THAT is the only reason she's a "singer" - is pathetic. When was her last hit? Twenty years ago? Thirty? Why does anyone even care what that old coat-tail rider says anyway?

Re: citizenship 101
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 12, 2008 10:06

>> does that make Keith a duo-national? mustbe i'm thinking <<

no, you don't get US citizenship (or dual citizenship) "automatically" when you marry a US citizen.
you do nearly automatically get a residence permit.

Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: February 12, 2008 10:33

i'm sorry but natalie is way out of line with these comments.expecially about beyonce.....she isn't important and her music is crap. I was just thinking about my favorite albums and how they had been influenced by drugs.... weather i agree with that or not it, it is a fact. I wondered how different they would have sounded without that influence.

exile on main street - heroin
sergent pepper - lsd,grass
nods as good as a wink - booze
blonde on blonde - grass,speed
pet sounds - lsd,grass

anyway who wants there rock stars to do loads of charity work and be interested in there health give me keith richards, keith moon anyday! surely we want them to come across as dangerous and invinciable so we can live out our fantasy through them.

frankly i would send beyonce out to the desert for 3 days on a strict diet of peyote and see if that improves her song writing!!!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 12, 2008 10:52

HelterSkelter
melillo

EXACTLY !!! well said....

oh no not you again! ;-) i remember you comparing amy to paris hilton. that disqualifies you to say anything concerning this outstanding voice of the century!
yeah she cant sing. pfffff....NO COMMENT....

just check:

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2008 10:58

All this Amy Whinehouse story is the best explanation of why the stones in the 60's 70's were so controversial and hated by the (then) older generations!

C

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 12, 2008 11:18

Amazing the ignorance on this site sometimes

It's a stones site and your critising an artist for drug taking?

Some don't even have seemed to have heard of her?

Pathetic!

Quote: "these no talent bimbos will go away, they cant write songs and they cant sing, its a disgrace:

Winehouse is far from a Bimbo, writes great tunes and is in a league of her own when it comes to singing!

Date: February 12, 2008 13:51

thanks ablett. some must be deaf.... ;-)

Date: February 12, 2008 14:05

Ill educated my friend. Recenlty a thread here critised the talents of Lennon preferring Macca. The poster didn't even own any albums of Macca OR lennon but was aware of their records from listening to them at parties!

Madness!

If your gonna have a dig at some, check them out first. Winehouse can never be placed in the same category as Paris Hilton......

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 12, 2008 14:48

ablett- check out new, upcoming talent Duffy.

She's amazing and in my humble opinion, better than Ms Winehouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 14:54 by Adrian-L.

Date: February 12, 2008 14:51

liddas
All this Amy Whinehouse story is the best explanation of why the stones in the 60's 70's were so controversial and hated by the (then) older generations!

C

..and isnt it amazing (and depressing) how reactionary some Stones fans have become a generation later?

Posted by: FullTilt ()
Date: February 12, 2008 14:52

Natalie is way off base. Amy's 'Back to Black' is the best album I've heard in a long time. I was also pleased to see that she writes her on songs. I have always been a big fan of Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley, but have always had a higher regard for Buddy since he wrote his own material. Amy deserved to be awarded for her music. Her personal life should be left private and not entertainment for the rest the world. I’m sure many of us here have been caught is the sway of that demon life.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 12, 2008 15:01

Gazza
liddas

C

..and isnt it amazing (and depressing) how reactionary some Stones fans have become a generation later?

Incredibly depressing!

I see people wear wigs while posting on IORR ...

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-12 15:04 by liddas.

Date: February 12, 2008 15:36

yeah it is really depressing....and not only are they reactonary, no, they dont have ears and heart to realise what a musical sensation amy is....
poor them.

Date: February 12, 2008 15:38

"upcoming talent Duffy."

I've been reading about her this week. She's with Bernard Butler?

I'll check it out.....

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home