Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter
Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:47

perfect song for the transition from the 60's to the 70's.....perfect song..........
studio version

Their best, currently to date for me........might change in 10 yrs

Re: Gimme Shelter
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 28, 2011 01:56

Anyone here at this show?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 28, 2011 23:20

A few weeks ago, my niece texted me from College Station where she is a freshman at A&M ..she said she was riding around campus listening to Gimme Shelter and she feels like "a boss".
Its an amazing song, my all-time favorite Stones in a tie with Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 28, 2011 23:39

jhat111
perfect song for the transition from the 60's to the 70's.....perfect song..........
studio version

Their best, currently to date for me........might change in 10 yrs
Incredible, stunning, powerful, brilliant, .... the Stones. Particularly at the finale of Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: BobK ()
Date: February 28, 2011 23:46

Edith Grove

I was there, around two meters in front of the stage. Best show i've ever seen! The band played great, but especialy Ronnie was excellent and surprised me.
Amsterdam had the stones fever that week. i was lucky to buy a ticket. Only 10 guilders, that's 4,50 euros!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:24

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-03-01 00:26 by Amsterdamned.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:25

Edith Grove

Nope,the looks where important.winking smiley

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:47

best rock song ever!!!! but no live version ever came close to the studio track!

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: March 1, 2011 00:51

guitarbastard
best rock song ever!!!! but no live version ever came close to the studio track!

I aggree, the studio track is the best, btw. my favourite song!!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 1, 2011 01:03

One of my all time favourite songs. and I ALSO agree that (like Jumpin' Jack Flash) no live version is nearly as good as this studio masterpiece.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 1, 2011 01:25

This is the version that compete with the original..................not better but the tension is greater

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: March 1, 2011 01:29

This should have been cleaned up and thrown on the Ya=Yas re-release.
Thanks for posting NICOS, I don't have this on DVD

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 1, 2011 05:34

I love GIMME SHELTER and it's one Stones song I've put on where friends who aren't Stones fans will say, "I love this song."

And also one thing that interests me about it is it is absurdly simple and repetitive and the lyrics are somewhat incomplete, but the Stones' strength is they play with more gritty feeling than any other band, and that shines forth in GIMME SHELTER.

Posted by: asinandalie ()
Date: March 1, 2011 14:44

the solo in this song is a great example where less is more. keef as has been documented extensively is technically not amazing but just has a feel that is for lack of a better word - cool. simple but fantastic solo.

the solo and the intro are pure keef... never get tired of it.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 1, 2011 15:14

jamesfdouglas
This should have been cleaned up and thrown on the Ya=Yas re-release.
Thanks for posting NICOS, I don't have this on DVD

Yes I agree...probably the only live version which can test the studio version.

Date: March 1, 2011 15:39

Amsterdamned
Edith Grove

Nope,the looks where important.winking smiley

Where what?

Isn't looks always important confused smiley

Good version, imo. The right tempo and lots of energy.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: March 2, 2011 04:00

NICOS
This is the version that compete with the original..................not better but the tension is greater

Great clip.

I didn't know about that beginning. I just have seen what is at the end of the Gimme Shelter movie.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: mark01942 ()
Date: March 4, 2011 16:18

I think the live "Babylon"/No security version is ALMOST as good as the studio-not quite though!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 4, 2011 16:47

No Security version is better than the 1995 Amsterdam version.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: March 5, 2011 00:03

One of the greatests Stones' songs.

i love all version, specially the last ones with Lssa Fisher... She's great.

I also like the Stereophonic's cover. If you hanve't seen it do it here

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ChrisO ()
Date: March 5, 2011 01:01

My favorite song of all time by anyone!!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 5, 2011 04:37

This could actually be their best song. There are 4 or 5 that are tight for first, in my opinion.

This is my fave warhorse, as much as I dislike the overuse of warhorses in concert in general.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: March 5, 2011 04:37

skipstone

I respectfully disagree. I think the NS version might have a little more lilt to it, and it's a great version, but the 95 version has muscle and soul. They're both great, as is the indisputably classic original.*

*It's indisputable because if you dispute it, you're probably too dumb to live

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: March 6, 2011 06:56

I love the crying guitar sound Keith gets . Sort of like a cring baby . This songs is the tits . Goosebumps Goosechills

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: March 6, 2011 19:24

If Lisa Fischer isn't the sexiest woman alive when she sings, I'd like to know who is.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 6, 2011 19:55

theimposter
skipstone

I respectfully disagree. I think the NS version might have a little more lilt to it, and it's a great version, but the 95 version has muscle and soul. They're both great, as is the indisputably classic original.

To me the playing is better from NS than that 95 version. Also the speed being a little bit faster helps I think. The 95 version is a tad bit too slow. It's good, yes, but I've always liked the NS version better for some reason.

I've always liked the version of Jumpin' Jack Flash from Gimme Shelter, how Mick sings Alright yeah it's alright in stead of going well it's allllllll-riiiiiiiiight etc like the studio version and does it different . I like the difference. Also the guitar work on THAT version compared to Ya-Ya's is astoundingly different, which to me is rather odd that Ya-Ya's sounds nothing at all like the one in the movie, which is obviously live and not tampered with. And Charlie's drumming in the movie version is just astoundingly heavy yet so simple. Of course, on Ya-Ya's it's excellent as well. Just great fantastic drumming. He drummed that way for a few more tours. Then something happened and it died. 1978 was the end of an era. Not that his drumming started to suck, it was just utterly different - it actually lacks feeling compared to the 1968-1975 era.

Live wise same with Honky Tonk Women on Love You Live - how Mick sings It's the honkee tonk, honkee tonk instead of how the studio version goes - and that Love You Live version is the best version of HTW ever, for me, and actually live to print from what I have been able to figure out - it's really live. Keith's solo is outstanding - and throughout the entire song, all the little things that he does - possibly his best ever.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 6, 2011 21:18

One of the great album openers. When this song was played in '72-'73 it was slotted early in the set and was a tour de force rocker that featured Taylor's considerable talent and was enormously effective. But in my day dreams I hear an arrangement closer to the '69 performances with a slow intro and a slow outro that keeps Keith's eerie and rickety guitar line. Keith's leads, like his voice, can be shakey, but they can somehow touch your heart, imperfections and all. But the shakey guitar line fits the mood of this song perfectly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home