Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Roland S. Howard anyone? Or Dave Kusworth?
Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: January 4, 2014 13:32

What is it with Melbourne, or Australia that they give us so many insane artists? Great ones. I am still trying to find a copy of Howard's "Pop Crimes" for a reasonable price. Great guitarist.
Kusworth is another favorite of mine. Willie Nile, Willy de Ville, Izzy, Thunders - they all seem to lead back to Keith. To different sides of Keith, but still.
I like Kusworth's solo stuff, or with Tenderhooks. Not so much the Jacobites. I just can not get into Nikki Sudden; have tried. I know he is liked in stones camp.

Re: OT - Roland S. Howard anyone? Or Dave Kusworth?
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 4, 2014 13:50

Roland S.Howard played with The Birthday-Party-that was an insane band from Australia, go check them out.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: January 4, 2014 14:06

After the breakup of the Birthday Party and thereby the split with Nick Cave, Rowland S Howard went on to be a key member of Crime And the City Solution. Added in afterthought in the latest edit: He left this band as early as after one album and two EPs.

[Best though to, like runaway recommends, start with the Birthday Party. One of my "second line" favourites.]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-05 05:17 by Witness.

Date: January 4, 2014 14:58

runaway
Roland S.Howard played with The Birthday-Party-that was an insane band from Australia, go check them out.

Oh yes, Have all their stuff. Bday Party, I mean.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 4, 2014 15:14

FortuneTeller800
runaway

Same here and some more on Roland S.H ;

EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN: THIRSTY ANIMAL (12")

Tracklist: Thirsty Animal/ Durstiges Tier

Recording info: Recorded @ Game Studio, Berlin-Kreuzberg in Jun/Jul-82. Personnel: Rowland S.Howard and Lydia Lunch with Einstürzende Neubauten and Alex Hacke.

Date: January 4, 2014 15:21

runaway
FortuneTeller800
runaway

Same here and some more on Roland S.H ;

EINSTURZENDE NEUBAUTEN: THIRSTY ANIMAL (12")

Tracklist: Thirsty Animal/ Durstiges Tier

Recording info: Recorded @ Game Studio, Berlin-Kreuzberg in Jun/Jul-82. Personnel: Rowland S.Howard and Lydia Lunch with Einstürzende Neubauten and Alex Hacke.

Thanks Runaway. I will definitely check it out.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: January 4, 2014 23:39

Rowland's two solo albums 'Teenage Snuff Film' and 'Pop Crimes' are masterpieces.

He used to come into the bookstore where I worked quite regularly. Lovely guy, it's a real shame he didn't get the liver transplant he needed.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 5, 2014 01:29

FortuneTeller800
What is it with Melbourne, or Australia that they give us so many insane artists? Great ones. I am still trying to find a copy of Howard's "Pop Crimes" for a reasonable price. Great guitarist.
Kusworth is another favorite of mine. Willie Nile, Willy de Ville, Izzy, Thunders - they all seem to lead back to Keith. To different sides of Keith, but still.
I like Kusworth's solo stuff, or with Tenderhooks. Not so much the Jacobites. I just can not get into Nikki Sudden; have tried. I know he is liked in stones camp.

Cool. I like Rowland's solo albums..

I was never that interested on Nikki Sudden - never liked his voice, or the fact that he can't sing for shit..and I dont really care for Kusworth either..I heard all their stuff..but I can only find few songs that I liked, so I cant really say I dig, I dont...but I love Johnny Thunders cause I think Thunders was great song writer..I love the NY Dolls - but I think you should check out The Dogs D Amour - I think Tyla of the Dogs is lot more talented song writer than Kusworth and had really good, deep gravel voice that reminds me of Keith...And yeah, Rowland is cool. Any fans of Jeffrey Lee Pierce here ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-05 01:34 by seitan.

Date: January 5, 2014 03:34

seitan
FortuneTeller800

I was never that interested on Nikki Sudden - never liked his voice, or the fact that he can't sing for shit..and I dont really care for Kusworth either..I heard all their stuff..but I can only find few songs that I liked, so I cant really say I dig, I dont...but I love Johnny Thunders cause I think Thunders was great song writer..I love the NY Dolls - but I think you should check out The Dogs D Amour - I think Tyla of the Dogs is lot more talented song writer than Kusworth and had really good, deep gravel voice that reminds me of Keith...And yeah, Rowland is cool. Any fans of Jeffrey Lee Pierce here ?
Yes seitan, when I was listing the Keith...apostles, LOL, I forgot the Dogs. Who in turn always make me think of Hanoi Rocks. But the Dogs self destructed. Remember when Tyla cut himself on stage?
Its amazing when I come upon a criminally under appreciated band. The Wildhearts have a huge discography, and are incredible; but no one knows them.

Yes very big fan of Jeffrey lee Pierce. I would easily say that in the 80s the Gun Club was ( with the Psych Furs) my favorite band.
One of the funniest things about JLP is that he started out as president for the Blondie fan-club.

Date: January 5, 2014 13:51

FortuneTeller800
seitan
FortuneTeller800

Yes seitan, when I was listing the Keith...apostles, LOL, I forgot the Dogs. Who in turn always make me think of Hanoi Rocks. But the Dogs self destructed. Remember when Tyla cut himself on stage?
Its amazing when I come upon a criminally under appreciated band. The Wildhearts have a huge discography, and are incredible; but no one knows them.

Yes very big fan of Jeffrey lee Pierce. I would easily say that in the 80s the Gun Club was ( with the Psych Furs) my favorite band.
One of the funniest things about JLP is that he started out as president for the Blondie fan-club.

Yeah, Hanoi Rocks were great...I like Michael Monroe's solo stuff too..I think Michael is doing great these days, touring around the world and enjoying big celebrity in his native country, Finland -

Yeah, I remember Tyla cutting himself on stage, I heard that Tyla is sober now or at least doing much better these days... I've seen Tyla on stage few times and I fondly remember him once coming on stage sober but he had bottles of red wine with him and he started drinkin on stage. The gig ended when he was too drunk to play. He just came on stage to get drunk in front of an audience while playing his songs...He seemd like a funny guy, drinkin and tellin jokes and playing songs..untill he admited.."Oh I gotta go now, I'm too drunk, so this is the last song for tonight..." and then he played few more songs that started sounding terrible, cause he was getting rather drunk..

Yeah, I love Jeffrey Lee Pierce.. ( I like Psychedelic Furs too) The Gun Club were great and Jeffrey was amazing lyricist, I love his lyrics, real poetry to me. Have you heard those Jeffrey Lee Pierce session project albums, where people like Nick Cave, Mark lanegan, Mick Harvey and Debbie Harry play obscure songs by Jeffrey..

Wildhearts are great too..

Date: January 5, 2014 18:00

seitan
FortuneTeller800
seitan
FortuneTeller800

Yeah, Hanoi Rocks were great...I like Michael Monroe's solo stuff too..I think Michael is doing great these days, touring around the world and enjoying big celebrity in his native country, Finland -

Yeah, I remember Tyla cutting himself on stage, I heard that Tyla is sober now or at least doing much better these days... I've seen Tyla on stage few times and I fondly remember him once coming on stage sober but he had bottles of red wine with him and he started drinkin on stage. The gig ended when he was too drunk to play. He just came on stage to get drunk in front of an audience while playing his songs...He seemd like a funny guy, drinkin and tellin jokes and playing songs..untill he admited.."Oh I gotta go now, I'm too drunk, so this is the last song for tonight..." and then he played few more songs that started sounding terrible, cause he was getting rather drunk..

Yeah, I love Jeffrey Lee Pierce.. ( I like Psychedelic Furs too) The Gun Club were great and Jeffrey was amazing lyricist, I love his lyrics, real poetry to me. Have you heard those Jeffrey Lee Pierce session project albums, where people like Nick Cave, Mark lanegan, Mick Harvey and Debbie Harry play obscure songs by Jeffrey..

Yeah Seitan I know of that album by the Project. I never got it because I saw that there was "Ramblin Mind" alone was done 3 or 4 different times by various people. Not sure about there tunes.
This in turn makes me ask you: do get into Mark Lanegan? Incredible singer and writer. The Screaming Trees is the only Seattle band I really like.
That is a funny story about Tyla. I saw Greg Dulli do something similar once. I think Dulli is clean now too. Last time I saw the Twilight Singers was with his friends from Italy. Great band.

Date: January 5, 2014 18:10

FortuneTeller800
seitan
FortuneTeller800
seitan
FortuneTeller800

Yeah Seitan I know of that album by the Project. I never got it because I saw that there was "Ramblin Mind" alone was done 3 or 4 different times by various people. Not sure about there tunes.
This in turn makes me ask you: do get into Mark Lanegan? Incredible singer and writer. The Screaming Trees is the only Seattle band I really like.
That is a funny story about Tyla. I saw Greg Dulli do something similar once. I think Dulli is clean now too. Last time I saw the Twilight Singers was with his friends from Italy. Great band.

Yeah, I like Mark Lanegan - he's great. Jeffrey Lee Pierce Sessions project is a trilogy - there's two albums out already and the third album will be released later this year - I like the first two and I'm waiting for the last one of the trilogy. Yeah, they did the same songs 3 or 4 different times by various people but those versions were really different so I didn't care, I like 'em.

I've never seen Mark Lanegan on stage, so I hope I get to see him someday..I love his voice, deep dark - really great singer...Screaming Trees is great but there were other Seattle bands too..like Mudhoney and Nirvana that I really loved, oh well...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home