Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Madison Square Garden - No Mention of Stones, how sad
Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:25

Just pulled this up and was saddened there's no mention of the Rolling Stones concerts at New York City's iconic venue.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Re: OT - Madison Square Garden - No Mention of Stones, how sad
Posted by: FreeBird ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:27

Well, why don't you add it?

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:35

If you click on events at Madison square Gardens it mensions all the Stones concerts

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:36

Not really sure why adding anything about The Rolling Stones would do anything in historical context with the "article" unless it's because of "In 2010, Madison Square Garden chose Michael Jackson's 1988 concert during the Bad World Tour as the greatest concert ever held at its venue."

Now because of that, I could see putting something about a real band in there.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 26, 2011 20:39

were you at the michael jackson concert, skipstone?

Date: February 26, 2011 21:06

Ha ha - no! What kind of question is that!!??

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 26, 2011 22:01

your ability to refute the claim of a concert being the greatest without actually having attended the concert in question is very impressive! i guess the band that michael had playing behind him wasn't a "real band"? smileys with beer

Posted by: boymacwerter ()
Date: February 26, 2011 22:28

Exactly what is it, in your opinion, about Michael Jackson that doesn't qualify him for the honor. He was arguably the worlds greatest singer/performer/musician and the Bad tour was his greatest tour. Makes sence to me? The Stones are a phenomenal rock 'n' Roll band (one of the best) but even one of their shows could not compete with a Michael Jackson show and I think they would probably agree.

Posted by: SpanishStone ()
Date: February 26, 2011 22:46

boymacwerter
Exactly what is it, in your opinion, about Michael Jackson that doesn't qualify him for the honor. He was arguably the worlds greatest singer/performer/musician and the Bad tour was his greatest tour. Makes sence to me? The Stones are a phenomenal rock 'n' Roll band (one of the best) but even one of their shows could not compete with a Michael Jackson show and I think they would probably agree.

I agree that Michael was unique. Just him

could open a gig being frozen on stage over two minutes while people went crazy ...

But I cannot agree Stones shows could not compete with Michael's ones..

[www.stonescovers.com]
@Stones_Covers
[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 22:48 by SpanishStone.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: February 26, 2011 22:47

Sam Spade
Just pulled this up and was saddened there's no mention of the Rolling Stones concerts at New York City's iconic venue.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Insted of being sad, why don't you just add wathever you want to say about the Stones in MSG, is no rocket science.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 27, 2011 00:41

leteyer
Sam Spade

[en.wikipedia.org]

Insted of being sad, why don't you just add wathever you want to say about the Stones in MSG, is no rocket science.

I just updated the Wikipedia page myself, listing the Stones as having played a total of 24 shows there (I hope that's right, correct it if it's not) and mentioned the live performances of "Gimme Shelter" were filmed there, as was a 2003 concert that was broadcast on HBO and later released on the "Live Licks" DVD. I also removed the mention of Linkin Park as having played there in 2011 as I didn't think that was in any way significant. My apologies to any LP fans.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:27

TornAndFried
leteyer
Sam Spade

[en.wikipedia.org]

I just updated the Wikipedia page myself, listing the Stones as having played a total of 24 shows there (I hope that's right, correct it if it's not) and mentioned the live performances of "Gimme Shelter" were filmed there, as was a 2003 concert that was broadcast on HBO and later released on the "Live Licks" DVD. I also removed the mention of Linkin Park as having played there in 2011 as I didn't think that was in any way significant. My apologies to any LP fans.

24 is correct. In the scheme of things, the number isnt that significant though, as Elton and (I think) Billy Joel have each played there over 50 times apiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 01:28 by Gazza.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 27, 2011 01:43

FreeBird
Well, why don't you add it?

Or check the discussion TAB

Performers, artists, bands

If you're going to discuss music performances, how do you not mention Phish? They've played 19 sold-out shows there, including five New Year's Eve shows. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 24.125.43.61 (talk) 20:06, 23 January 2011 (UTC)
What does this mean?
In 2006, Madonna was marked as the performer with most performances played ever at the venue, beating out the Rolling Stones, with 23 performances. The artist who holds the all-time record for the greatest number of appearances at the Garden is Elton John who has played the arena 58 times. The band that played more dates in the Garden than any other is The Grateful Dead, rocking the arena an amazing 52 times from 1979 through 1994.[1]
Elton John has held the most concerts at MSG. The Grateful Dead has played the most concerts as a band at MSG.
Where do Madonna and the Stones fall on this list? The Dead's 52 concerts are significantly more than the Stones' 23. And how many shows has Madonna played at MSG? If its nowhere near the 58 or 52 of Elton John and the Dead, I don't think they should be mentioned as "record holders". Milchama 17:58, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
Since nobody has commented, I am going to remove the "records" held by Madonna and The Rolling Stones, because they need some more clarification. Elton John and The Grateful Dead have the record for most MSG performances by an artist and band, respectively. Milchama 17:44, 19 November 2006 (UTC)
Oh, it looks like someone has beaten me to it. Milchama 17:45, 19 November 2006 (UTC)

Date: February 27, 2011 01:50

I'm not dissing the Stones live shows at all, I think that they are the best but as your video perfectly demonstrate, there has just simply never been anything like that. I think the closest thing was Sam Cooke.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: February 27, 2011 03:42

Greatest concert at MSG: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, 12-18-80.
Hands down. 35 song set list @ over 3 1/2 hrs. Nothing comes close!

Date: February 27, 2011 04:36

birdie

How do you know? Have you been to every concert at Madison square gardens since it opened? Surly this is just your opinion!

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 27, 2011 05:13

pgarof
birdie

How do you know? Have you been to every concert at Madison square gardens since it opened? Surly this is just your opinion!

There have been literally hundreds of great concerts over the years at MSG. It would be impossible to name a "greatest"...or even complile a top ten list. That's such a subjective thing. For one person it might be the Stones in '69 or '72, or Springsteen, or Michael Jackson, or even "The Concert For Bangladesh." for another it might be Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra or Barbra Streisand. Who's to say? One thing I will add is I've seen dozens of shows at The Garden and it is hands down my favorite place in the world to see a show...especially the Stones.

Date: February 27, 2011 09:51

ineedadrink
your ability to refute the claim of a concert being the greatest without actually having attended the concert in question is very impressive! i guess the band that michael had playing behind him wasn't a "real band"?

Any "band" Whacko had was not an actual band, just hired hands to play the music. Nobody knows who anyone was that was Jacko's "band". It was all probably mimed to music anyway, all most likely recorded in a studio and synced for the shows.

boymacwerter

I never said he didn't qualify for the honor, just that it's @#$%& Michael Jackson, Freak Of The Universe. Many would "argue" that he is not "the worlds greatest singer/performer/musician" especially considering after Thriller he lost it. Not sure how he qualifies as a "musician" either - did he ever actually play anything? Not that I've ever seen or read. The Bad tour was his "greatest" tour? Why is that? It may have been his biggest tour or the most hyped tour. Wasn't it his last tour? Why was it his "greatest tour"? If it wasn't, obviously anything he did afterwords has been easily forgotten or not even known, other then that he died.

And a show by The Rolling Stones sans A Bigger Bang certainly does blow anything Whacko did. Of course, that's your opinion of the other...

Date: February 27, 2011 12:53

You obviously just don't know anything about Michael Jackson or the nature of how modern R&B and Soul musicians work. Michael Jackson did everything Sam Cooke did and more, plus Sam Cooke couldn't dance and had no rhytham, Michael Jackson was the undisputed greatest dancer of all time.

The only MSG show I have ever been to was The Black Crowes in 2005, I voted for that and it didn't even come close to winning. It was always going to be a popularity contest anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 16:32 by boymacwerter.

Date: February 27, 2011 16:25

My son has promised to take me to see the Stones at the Madison square Gardens for my 60th, that's next year so there is some hope there

Date: February 27, 2011 16:44

boymacwerter
You obviously just don't know anything about Michael Jackson or the nature of how modern R&B and Soul musicians work. Michael Jackson did everything Sam Cooke did and more, plus Sam Cooke couldn't dance and had no rhytham, Michael Jackson was the undisputed greatest dancer of all time.

Modern R&B is not R&B, it's moan music filled with over the top unnecessary tremelo so those people can act like they're giving it "soul". They're not, they're just giving it shit in gigantic piles.

The crap that is done today has nothing on real R&B music. Nor did Whacko. He was pop music. Billie Jean was the last single he did that actually had some rhythm to it - everything else after that SUCKED, or like you said about Sam Cooke, had no "rhytham". Sam Cooke's music was and still is listenable and real and wasn't one gigantic Disney ballad. Jacko Whacko's music has not aged well - who jams out,man to such total trite shit as Black Or White or You Are Not Alone? People actually liked that garbage? You Are Not Alone makes Streets Of Love sound like a good song.

Why you have to blow so hard about how Whacko danced - how he DANCED? Like THAT matters? - and is the so called "undisputed greatest dancer of all time" is a mystery. At least Mick Jagger has changed his moves up over the years. Jacko just did the same crotch grab point hee hee all the time, obviously some secret signal to all the children of the world...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 27, 2011 17:14

skipstone

Modern R&B is not R&B, it's moan music filled with over the top unnecessary tremelo so those people can act like they're giving it "soul". They're not, they're just giving it shit in gigantic piles.

The crap that is done today has nothing on real R&B music.

True that

Date: February 27, 2011 17:34

That's all a little too short sighted and overly close-minded. It's just different, I like both! You sound like the kind of people who hated The Stones when they first started simply because they were doing something different.

Date: February 27, 2011 18:03

Nevermind. YOU don't get it. It's not short sited and overly close-minded to think that Michael Jackson's music stinks, especially when held up to a non-dancer like Sam Cooke. In fact, it's called having ears.

What a joke.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 27, 2011 18:17

skipstone
Nevermind. YOU don't get it. It's not short sited and overly close-minded to think that Michael Jackson's music stinks, especially when held up to a non-dancer like Sam Cooke. In fact, it's called having ears.

What a joke.

it's a joke to suggest jackson wasn't a supremely talent musician and entertainer. whether you liked his music or not is irrelevant to that point.

Date: February 27, 2011 18:32

Compared to Sam Cooke? Ha ha ha hahahahahahahaha. No way. Jacko was talented, to a point but he wasn't "supremely talented". He had a lot of help with his records and his shows were more about dancing than they were about the songs. He should've quit after Thriller.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 18:32 by skipstone.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 27, 2011 19:35

i personally wouldn't rate him a better singer than cooke, but that's just one characteristic. as a performer, none of us has seen much of sam as a performer, very little exists on film. but even if it did, it's pretty hard to imagine sam was in jackson's league as an entertainer. jackie wilson, maybe...

your biases are coming thru a little, skippy...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-27 23:46 by StonesTod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1931
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home