Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Why did Brian, Mick and Bill quit ?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:48

ummmm...sometimes humor is completely lost on some folks here....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 25, 2011 23:51

well i tried, saw your humour there. thought it was worth raising the question i did though

Date: February 25, 2011 23:55

Erik_Snow
well i tried, saw your humour there. thought it was worth raising the question i did though

i wasn't referring to your post, erik.

by the way - i had the rare (for me) treat of enjoying a fine cigar that someone actually gave to ME last night - this was after watching Mac play a set at the lucky lounge. he's still in fine form, btw. played a brand new tune that he hadn't played before.....

Date: February 26, 2011 00:02

StonesTod
by the way - i had the rare (for me) treat of enjoying a fine cigar that someone actually gave to ME last night - this was after watching Mac play a set at the lucky lounge. he's still in fine form, btw. played a brand new tune that he hadn't played before.....

That's a rare treat for me too ! Hope somebody tapes and torrents a recent Mac show; I will not have any chance of seeing him, though I really like to
Oh I just finished a book by G.Greene with an ambassadour who always had cigars with his own....what do you call it - "label-belts" (?), which reminded me of that London boat ride

Date: February 26, 2011 00:06

Erik_Snow
StonesTod

That's a rare treat for me too ! Hope somebody tapes and torrents a recent Mac show; I will not have any chance of seeing him, though I really like to
Oh I just finished a book by G.Greene with an ambassadour who always had cigars with his own....what do you call it - "label-belts" (?), which reminded me of that London boat ride

cigar bands - yeah, that's right - i created my own stones cigar band for that tour...forgot about that! ;-) fun week that was....

Date: February 26, 2011 00:10

StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod

cigar bands - yeah, that's right - i created my own stones cigar band for that tour...forgot about that! ;-) fun week that was....

It sure was! In retrospect, maybe scottish destillery cigar band would be even more appropriate than Jagger bands ? Next time maybe...?

Date: February 26, 2011 00:14

Erik_Snow
StonesTod
Erik_Snow
StonesTod

It sure was! In retrospect, maybe scottish destillery cigar band would be even more appropriate than Jagger bands ? Next time maybe...?

done deal!

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 26, 2011 00:18

There must be an interesting song in the vaults.

IT'S NO FUN TO BE A ROLLING STONE

'Sitting, drinking, thinking about
Getting fired, tired or retired
Well, it's no fun to play with Mick
That guy just makes me so sick
O no, it's no fun to be a Rolling Stone
O no, it's no fun to be a Rolling Stone

Sitting, drinking, thinking about
Getting fired, tired or retired
Because it's no fun, no fun, no fun
To be like a Rolling Stone
O no, no fun to be like a Rolling Stone
Leave me alone leave me alone leave me alone

Don't wanna be a Rolling Stone
'cause it's no fun to be a Rollin'Stone....

Well, once I used to be a Rolling Stone
And I never felt so @#$%&' alone...

O no no, it's no fun to be a Rolling Stone
I'd rather would be naked to the bone
Yeah to drink and sitting here alone
Then be a Rolling Stone, yeah a Rolling Stone

('cause it's no fun to be a Rolling Stone 3x)

I'd rather drive a truck or have bad luck
Then bein' a Rolling Stone, so @#$%& alone
Watching Mick's lips and hips
Keef's riffs, the way he strips

I just can't stand it anymore
So I went thru that door
'Cause it's no fun to be a Rolling Stone (5x and fade out)

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 26, 2011 00:46

jpasc95
I can admit there was a musical disagreement between them and Mick/Keith but I am certain that the main reason was they did not get on very well on the human level.

No, I think it was mainly musical. They dumped Jones because they became "the songwriting team" of the band, and thought they did not need him anymore. Taylor was well suited for seventies rock, but not for the more commercial course after that. Both weren't wise decisions in my opinion, and they may have been taken under the pretext of personal animosity or disfunctionality, but it was really the musical direction. Wyman probably left out of boredom.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 00:50 by lsbz.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: February 26, 2011 01:45

Because they wanted that particular song to be released from the vaults....

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: February 26, 2011 02:49

I checked out Bill Wyman's web site and watched some of his clips. He said that he just wants to make music with his band and they will play anything, the whole point is to have fun doing it. So Bill is in a great space. He left the musical confines of the Rolling Stones and now he can just do whatever he and his band mates want to do. He said that he has no regrets about leaving the Stones.

Bill is actually a pretty cool and smart guy and he is enjoying life.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 26, 2011 04:57

I wish Bill would get his band on a boat and come tour the States.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 26, 2011 06:19

Erik Snow, which Graham Greene? I'm thinking DR. FISCHER OF GENEVA but I could be wrong.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:01

Well, the bigger mystery than to explain why Brian, Taylor Bill left is to do why Charlie hasn't left. From the day one he looked not much interest on he whole game, the type of music they play (rock and roll), the pop scene, screaming chicks, the drug scenes, the ego games, etc.

I think the reason simply is Charlie's unique personality and character. Brian surely had his share of ego, Taylor less, and Wyman not much, but Charlie absulutely zero. Which is unbelievable, almost unhuman. Here is the man who has never shown any bitterness or unloyalty to the band. He ever critizises MIck or Keith. Sounds like strong work ethics, and also a sign of that he does for his living that he likes (and the job is very well paid). I think Charlie has also driven by his own image and myth - it works for him. He used to be so unprofilic, unwilling-looking dude, which is a charming funny joke these days. Part of the package. Of course, Charlie's individual contribution and significance is since Bill's departure really huge. He is the real "third man" - in private and in public - next to Mick and Keith to keep some kind of balance. Probably without Charlie's neutrality those two egos couldn't cope with each other. Ronnie seemingly does not have any role anymore - he got burned during the 80's, and I think he was sacrificed during the process when Mick and Keith somehow made the deal in 1989.

All in all, Charlie seems to only person ever that is close to Mick and Keith and doen't get burned, or being affected by their tension and ego-play (but we haven't heard any reasonable explanation for Cha's drug adventure during the 80's that is totally in odds with his image - and when it was relaesed during the 90's it came totally anomaly-like out of blue). But I guess for Keith's LIFE must have been a it pain in his ass to read since Keith tries to use Charlie's authority as a pawn in his Mick bashing. But being a pro he is, I don't think he really minds - as Charlie commented, the book was not written for him, and he "knows Keith" (one can only imagine what that means...)

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 11:04 by Doxa.

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: February 26, 2011 11:17

thanks Doxa, interesting comment.
also keeffriffhard for his great lyrics !

Date: February 26, 2011 11:17

Rocky Dijon
Erik Snow, which Graham Greene? I'm thinking DR. FISCHER OF GENEVA but I could be wrong.

Hi Rocky, it's The Comedians. btw...can't recall reading about cigar band-marks in Dr Fisher of Geneva...allthough they would fit in there as well, at those dinnerparties at dr Fisher's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 11:19 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: February 26, 2011 13:04

There were lots of reasons why Brian left the Stones. Just blaming the drugs isn't enough - especially since Brian's problems in late 1968 - mid 1969 had more to do with depression and paranoia than drugs. But the drugs he did certainly didn't make his situation better.

In the end you could say that Brian's psychological and personal problems finally made him and the Stones go seperate ways. He lived a life he couldn't really handle during his time with the Stones and he didn't get the support or time he needed to set things straight. Doing drugs was the biggest mistake he ever did. The irony is that he didn't got the chance or strength to set things straight until after he had left the Stones and then he died.
I don't think that Brian was "fired". I believe that it was a mutual agreement since he already knew he wasn't wanted anymore and had AFAIK wanted to leave before. The Stones used the "you are not allowed to leave the country to tour the States"-card as an excuse. But there had been more going on behind the scenes and they all knew that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 13:05 by tonterapi.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 26, 2011 13:31

"Mick T left to save his life"

Mick T left because in his "infinite wisdom" (sarcstic mode on") he foresaw in 1974 the demise of the Stones.
Keith was a walking addicted mess, Wyman was dissatisfied (same old) Watts did not express his opinion (same old) and Jagger was an enigma (same old).

So MT thought : "better leave a working band and join Bruce than wait for the Stones to explode and become a looking-for-a-job guitar player. This would hurt my repuation and commercial potetial".

How wise indeed! smoking smiley But I'm pretty sure his wife Rose helped him make the "right" decision...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 26, 2011 14:17

[/quote]

It's important for a child to spend as much quality time with her grandmother as possible.

Date: February 26, 2011 14:30

Some of you guys are pathetic, it's a very nice picture. I bet you will all look quite more old, retired and out of time when you reach Bill's age there, unless you don't do that allready - as Bill's looking good - as well as his grand-daughter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-26 14:32 by Erik_Snow.

Date: February 26, 2011 14:34

Erik_Snow
Some of you guys are pathetic, it's a very nice picture. I bet you will all look quite more old, retired and out of time when you reach Bill's age there, unless you don't do that allready - as Bill's looking good - as well as his grand-daughter

A nice picture indeed but as far as I know it is not his grand-daughter but his daughter...

- Doxa

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 26, 2011 14:42

Erik_Snow

Date: February 26, 2011 14:44

Doxa
Erik_Snow

A nice picture indeed but as far as I know it is not his grand-daughter but his daughter...

- Doxa

He's old enough for it to be his great-grand-daughter.

Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: February 26, 2011 14:54

mtaylor
Charlie is not a coward.
He has the money to be without the Stones.
He has his own music to be without the Stones.
He has his hobby (other than music) to be without Stones.
He has gone through a cancer to be used as an excuse to stop being in Stones.

He likes his job with Stones.
Cited: "Mick is the best frontman" and "I like to play for him".

thumbs up

Date: February 26, 2011 15:16

tatters
Doxa
Erik_Snow

- Doxa

He's old enough for it to be his great-grand-daughter.

Those small-sized, artistically-oriented working class fellows from UK are such vital guys... like that other one, Charlie Chaplin was he called...

- Doxa

Date: February 26, 2011 15:47

mtaylor
Erik_Snow

duh, you know i knew you were trying to be funny, but it's a kind of "private photo" which doesn't seem funny to be humorous about, which makes it "not funny"

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: February 26, 2011 15:50

Maybe Charlie has remained a loyal friend to Mick because Jagger stood by him through his own addiction, which few knew about while it was going on. Charlie is a class act and you can see the true friendship between Mick and Charlie in the clips from Stones IN Exile. It's an honest admiration and respect for one another and very nice to see.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2011 16:04

<Ronnie seemingly does not have any role anymore - he got burned during the 80's, .<Doxa>

Remains my question:

What the heck did he do there then,since
his role was rather insignificant anyway?

Lack of selfrespect...Money??

Date: February 26, 2011 16:09

Erik_Snow
mtaylor
Erik_Snow

duh, you know i knew you were trying to be funny, but it's a kind of "private photo" which doesn't seem funny to be humorous about, which makes it "not funny"

If it was private, we wouldn't be able to see it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 26, 2011 18:05

Brian got fired, Mick T wanted more recognition such as royalties and deserved more than he got (though I am speculating I'm really not sure) and Bill does not like to fly and wanted to go out while the band was on top. I have heard Bill say that he was close to quitting toward the end of the Mick Taylor era but Ronnie came in and breathed energy into the band then he threatened to quit after the 1982 tour but decided to stay on. I don't think he wanted to spend his entire adult life in the Rolling Stones bubble.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home