Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

2013 Top Tours
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 16, 2013 02:24

Stones' at #6 with $126 million from 23 shows.

[www.billboard.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 02:26 by georgelicks.

Re: 2013 Top Tours
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 16, 2013 02:48

Interesting. Good GREAT for Pink and Iron Maiden

#3 PINK
Total Gross: $147,947,543
Total Attendance: 1,581,939
Total Capacity: 1,583,801
No. of Shows: 114
No. of Sellouts: 111

#25 IRON MAIDEN
Total Gross: $44,980,749
Total Attendance: 684,200
Total Capacity: 764,186
No. of Shows: 34
No. of Sellouts: 13

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 02:50 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 02:53

Anyone else think the Stones might finish #1 in 2014? I'm assuming U2 or AC/DC aren't planning to release new albums soon with accompanying stadium tours or Pink Floyd or Zeppelin aren't planning any reunion tours!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 16, 2013 03:50

Top concert gross per show:

#1: Rolling Stones

#2: Paul McCartney

#3: The Who

#4: the rest of the industry

However, it looks like The Rolling Stones aren't the only ones with $600 tickets. One of Ron Wood's favorite bands, One Direction, must be taking ticket pricing advice from Mick Jagger and his promoters.

With an average ticket price of $674 and 120 shows booked around the world, it looks like the One Direction tour is set to top even U2's recent high water mark that outsold A Bigger Bang.

"List of Most Expensive Summer Concert Tickets" story at: [www.forbes.com]

Date: December 16, 2013 04:24

DGA35
Anyone else think the Stones might finish #1 in 2014? I'm assuming U2 or AC/DC aren't planning to release new albums soon with accompanying stadium tours or Pink Floyd or Zeppelin aren't planning any reunion tours!

The other (to me surprinsing) people on that list will be back for more, they are young, full of P&V, and ready to play 100+ dates, so I doubt the Stones doing their short tours will be #1.... but #6 is pretty damned good, imuho.

STONES!!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 16, 2013 10:55

As for the Stones, the total attendance number (326,998) does not include the last three UK gigs, Glasto and 2 Hyde Park. Georgelicks, what happened to these numbers? After all these months, they have not been published on Billboard's Box Office yet.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 16, 2013 12:03

laertisflash
As for the Stones, the total attendance number (326,998) does not include the last three UK gigs, Glasto and 2 Hyde Park. Georgelicks, what happened to these numbers? After all these months, they have not been published on Billboard's Box Office yet.

...Those are festivals, with a large line-up of bands (multiple bills);
they're not taken into account for these 'gross' listings.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: December 16, 2013 12:34

I see 0 sell outs for the Michael Jackson Immortal Tour. Weird.
That show was performed 3 times in Belgium because of high demand.

As for the stones: #6 with just 23 shows. Crazy.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 16, 2013 13:17

RoughJusticeOnYa, Billboard's Box Office always publishes numbers of these festivals (for example Coechella), so my question remains the same. Speaking about Hyde Park, if memory helps, 130,000 tickets had been sold quickly, when people knew the event as a double Stones gig. I mean, before any other participation's annoucment.

In addition, fair or unfair, i remember that on previous tours these numbers had been counted as part of the total attendance of particular artist (for example Werchter 2003 and Stones). May be that's a statistical rule for all the bands/artists or for headliners only- i don't know.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 16, 2013 14:21

Isnt the definition of a 'sellout' now something like 98% of tickets sold or something?

Its a bit nonsensical saying a show was 'sold out' when a) some clearly werent and b) several had firesales to get rid of tickets that werent selling.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: December 16, 2013 15:29

stonehearted

However, it looks like The Rolling Stones aren't the only ones with $600 tickets. One of Ron Wood's favorite bands, One Direction, must be taking ticket pricing advice from Mick Jagger and his promoters.

With an average ticket price of $674 and 120 shows booked around the world, it looks like the One Direction tour is set to top even U2's recent high water mark that outsold A Bigger Bang.

There is no way the average One Direction tickets price is higher than the Stones! I know you're quoting the Forbes article so this isn't a pop at you but this figure can only be based on scalper prices or fantasy. Their market is children who have to rely on their parents paying for the tickets and there is no way that model could work. I just checked their Wembley prices for next summer and the "normal" prices are about £70 with VIP £150. The Platinum seem the biggest con being crappy seats at "market driven" prices of up to £275.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:27

well I am getting old because there are only two acts there I would pay to see.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:34

Wow Bon Jovi #1, Gazza must be very happy...winking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 22:41

Bon Jovi constantly tours. Only he and the keyboardist are the only original members of the band since Richie Sambora isn't touring with them and neither is drummer Tico Torres, who I believe was injured?

Date: December 16, 2013 22:53

ROPENI
Wow Bon Jovi #1, Gazza must be very happy...winking smiley

LOL. I dont consider this poll a badge of honour or quality!

Date: December 16, 2013 22:56

rebelrebel
stonehearted

There is no way the average One Direction tickets price is higher than the Stones! I know you're quoting the Forbes article so this isn't a pop at you but this figure can only be based on scalper prices or fantasy. Their market is children who have to rely on their parents paying for the tickets and there is no way that model could work. I just checked their Wembley prices for next summer and the "normal" prices are about £70 with VIP £150. The Platinum seem the biggest con being crappy seats at "market driven" prices of up to £275.

Maybe I'm missing something here but the average One Direction ticket price there appears to be around $65. Whoever wrote the article clearly can't do simple division.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:10

Gazza
rebelrebel
stonehearted

Maybe I'm missing something here but the average One Direction ticket price there appears to be around $65. Whoever wrote the article clearly can't do simple division.

The stones are One Direction ---> $$$$$

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: December 17, 2013 01:52

DGA35
Bon Jovi constantly tours. Only he and the keyboardist are the only original members of the band since Richie Sambora isn't touring with them and neither is drummer Tico Torres, who I believe was injured?

Bon Jovi will run for as long as Bon Jovi wants it too

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: December 17, 2013 10:43

DGA35

Sambora quit the tour back in april for undisclosed reasons. Torres only missed a few gigs this fall due to an emergency appendictomy, but has bebn back on the road since early october.
btw, the BJ tour concludes today in Australia, after 102 gigs: [www.bonjovi.com]

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 17, 2013 11:45

Ulf Lundell Summer Tour 2013

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 17, 2013 12:19

stonehearted

Interesting that the top ticket prices are all for folks with fans largely in that age group with the money ;^)

Date: December 17, 2013 12:26

Come On
Ulf Lundell Summer Tour 2013

thumbs up

Date: December 26, 2013 11:44

Max'sKansasCity
Interesting. Good GREAT for Pink and Iron Maiden

#25 IRON MAIDEN
Total Gross: $44,980,749
Total Attendance: 684,200
Total Capacity: 764,186
No. of Shows: 34
No. of Sellouts: 13

I was scratching my head about Iron Maiden on the list....
Then I read this article about they used smarts to put themselves on that list.

[rt.com]

Iron Maiden uses piracy numbers to plan 'massive sellout' concert tours

A famous heavy metal band from the United Kingdom is using online metrics to identify fans that download its music. But the group isn’t taking the data to file a lawsuit against those fans. Instead, it’s using the information to perform concerts for them.

Iron Maiden, a band formed in 1975 that has sold more than 80 million albums while performing 2,000 concerts worldwide, uses information provided by music analytics company Musicmetric to help plan the course of an upcoming tour.

As illegal downloading and music streaming services have rendered physical album sales negligible to the point of irrelevance, artists have increasingly been forced to rely on concert tours and merchandise revenue.

With help from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), many labels have sought to recoup these losses by filing lawsuits against individual downloaders, with damages often in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range. The most famous example of this is possibly Metallica, the platinum-selling heavy metal group that attempted to sue the Napster file-sharing service a decade ago.

However, recent studies have shown that fans who download music illegally are often the most loyal in terms of concerts and merchandizing. A 2012 survey from the American Assembly, a non-partisan public policy forum affiliated with Columbia University, found that nefarious file-sharers tend to purchase 30 percent more music than customers who do not download anything illegally.

Iron Maiden, with help from Musicmetric, seems to have recognized that profit potential. The group found that a large amount of its web traffic and Twitter followers come from South America. Not coincidentally, South America - particularly Brazil - was also the origin of a massive amount of BitTorrent traffic searching for Iron Maiden.

“Having an accurate real time snapshot of key data streams is all about helping inform people's decision making. If you know what drives engagement, you can maximize the value of your fan base. Artists could say, 'We're getting pirated here, let's do something about it,' or 'We're popular here, let's play a show,'” Gregory Mead, CEO and co-founder of Musicmetric, told Cite World.

Brazilians have pirated Iron Maiden music nearly 500,000 times in recent years. Chile has been another flashpoint, with 1,300 downloads for every 100,000 internet users. That’s a total of 70, 932 downloads, according to numbers provided by TorrentFreak.

The group planned multiple tours to serve that fan base, and “massive sellouts” followed, according to Mead. Iron Maiden filmed a concert documentary called ‘Flight 666,’ chronicling its travels through the continent. One concert in São Paulo, Brazil grossed more than $2 million.

“Maiden have been rather successful in turning free file-sharing into fee-paying fans,” Mead said. “If you engage with fans, there is a chance to turn a percentage into paying customers. You can see that through various bands using the BitTorrent network in a legal way to share content.”

The results have been more than financial. In the twelve months ending on May 31, 2012, the metal stars had attracted more than 3.1 million fans across social media. That sum doubled over the next year, with five million more internet users - many of whom are located in South America - supporting the band.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home