Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Is San Francisco stuck in the '70s..?
Date: February 23, 2011 10:55

I jest smiling smileytho' it sometimes seems that way.
Here is a link to pictures of that era >

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article

Re: Is San Francisco stuck in the '70s..?
Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 23, 2011 11:43

If anything, San Francisco would seem more stuck in the 60's. The Fillmore is pretty much a shrine to the Dead, the Airplane, Janis, etc.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 23, 2011 12:23

Wish it was. Last time I went there it was horribly noughties.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 23, 2011 16:23

Actually, in the States, we are tying to figure out how to give the entire State of California back to Mexico. We have 49 others that aren't nearly as useless.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2011 17:41

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 23, 2011 18:28

R
Actually, in the States, we are tying to figure out how to give the entire State of California back to Mexico. We have 49 others that aren't nearly as useless.
So a state that has the world's 8th largest economy and has 40 million people is 'useless'? How?

As to San Francisco being stuck in the 70s, when was the last time you were here, o' Wanton Witch of Côte? And ab, the Fillmore is but one of many districts of the City. How many have you been to?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 23, 2011 18:34

thanks chris, wasn't sure if something dramatic had happened to my beloved SF since I left....seems not.....i presumed i had left it in good hands....

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 23, 2011 18:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-23 18:57 by SwayStones.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 23, 2011 18:44

an incredibly large number of homeless people on the streets.

Date: February 23, 2011 18:51

there's also an incredibly large number of homeful people in the houses that line the streets.

Date: February 23, 2011 18:55

Interesting how San Francisco's past image still persists well beyond what it was in the 1960s. For many, the 'Summer Of Love' in 1967 was then San Francisco's introduction to the world at large and image projected then has persisted to this day, even though it outdated.

This reminds me of the time when my mom told me what her great grandmother said to her before she and my dad left England for the States; "Mind the Indians! Don't let them scalp you!" or words to that effect. This was in the 1950s but the image of the old West still persisted with some even though it was long gone by that time.

Date: February 23, 2011 19:00

StonesTod
thanks chris, wasn't sure if something dramatic had happened to my beloved SF since I left....seems not.....i presumed i had left it in good hands....
Hasn't changed much Tod. It's still the same small port city that's a jumping off point to the gold fields to the east...

Date: February 23, 2011 19:04

ChrisM
This was in the 1950s but the image of the old West still persisted with some even though it was long gone by that time.

come to texas and say that, chris

Date: February 23, 2011 19:06

ChrisM
StonesTod
Hasn't changed much Tod. It's still the same small port city that's a jumping off point to the gold fields to the east...

good work. let's keep it that way. it is near a fault line, you know.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 23, 2011 19:22

ChrisM
R
So a state that has the world's 8th largest economy and has 40 million people is 'useless'? How?

California is dead effing broke, won't do anything about it and wants to drag the rest of the country down with them. California and Mexico deserve each other.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 23, 2011 19:39

Amen

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2011 19:56

MKjan
an incredibly large number of homeless people on the streets.

Around here we have incredible numbers of homely people. smileys with beer

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 23, 2011 20:06

R
ChrisM
R

California is dead effing broke, won't do anything about it and wants to drag the rest of the country down with them. California and Mexico deserve each other.

Is the issue that no one wants to pay property taxes...they can't get that legislation through? I've read that, not sure if it is valid though.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 23, 2011 20:10

Love San Francisco - especially The International Sports Bar that proved to be the only venue that neglected to ask a then 19-year-old Big Al for I.D. >grinning smiley<

Date: February 23, 2011 20:27

California along with most states in the union are in dire financial straits. It's not a question s of people not paying property taxes, it's a case of spending more money that is being taking in along with the small matter of the financial meltdown that drained the coffers of many state governments. So despite 'R's and mickscarey's thoughtful and intelligent commentary on this matter California is in the same situation as many states and countries in the world right now.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 23, 2011 20:40

Some of you might like to read Jack Cashill's book: What's the matter with California.

Visit his website or find a video clip of him discussing the subject.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 24, 2011 01:18

Rumours of San Freancisco's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Simply the greatest city in the world.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 24, 2011 01:28

For R and others a little link :
[www.businessinsider.com]

Try not to cry looking at the maps and remember California's no worse than the rest of the country. And in terms of intellectual openness and literacy it's far above the rest grinning smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2011 01:54

I was there only once. Spent a week there in 1987. For some reason, the whole time I was there, I had Jefferson Starship's "Miracles" stuck in my head. Not that I ever heard it even once when I was there. I just couldn't get it out of my head. It's like it was just floating around in the air or something.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 24, 2011 02:13

San Francisco is nice, I think Seattle is prettier, Boston is more fun, and unfortunately the Starship had SF in mind when the sang "We Built This City On
Rock'n'Roll".

There is something dismal about the hippie residues,the important young professional look(always in a hurry), the homeless but there are also some nice neighborhoods scattered about.

Date: February 24, 2011 03:30

MKjan
San Francisco is nice, I think Seattle is prettier, Boston is more fun, and unfortunately the Starship had SF in mind when the sang "We Built This City On
Rock'n'Roll".

There is something dismal about the hippie residues,the important young professional look(always in a hurry), the homeless but there are also some nice neighborhoods scattered about.
As with most things there are varying measures of great, good, not so good and bad...

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 24, 2011 03:50

R

Your opinion my friend! And a worthless one with a hint of racial overtones IMO!

Date: February 24, 2011 03:52

R
ChrisM
R

See my previous comment! Seems you have a major hang up with mexico!

Date: February 24, 2011 03:54

sweetcharmedlife
Rumours of San Freancisco's demise have been greatly exaggerated. Simply the greatest city in the world.

Couldn't agree more! We will get by...we will survive!

Date: February 24, 2011 03:56

ChrisM
California along with most states in the union are in dire financial straits. It's not a question s of people not paying property taxes, it's a case of spending more money that is being taking in along with the small matter of the financial meltdown that drained the coffers of many state governments. So despite 'R's and mickscarey's thoughtful and intelligent commentary on this matter California is in the same situation as many states and countries in the world right now.

True

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home