Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jesse Malin covers "Winter"
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 22, 2011 01:59

When I met him, Jesse said that "Sway" was one song he could put on repeat all day. He covered it on his covers album "On Your Sleeve"

Winter

Re: Jesse Malin covers "Winter"
Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 22, 2011 02:22

What is a "jesse malign"?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:27

did a song Keith had very little to do with, on Keith's birthday...still, a very cool version of it..

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:41

Very nice. Kind of gives you an idea of how great this song could have been live. Seems like it would be hard for a vocalist because of all the Jaggerisms and ad-libs, but this guy does a nice job of just singing it straight, and the guitarist has a mean Taylor-esque vibrato. They look like they got lost in the groove of the song....its melodicism, the tender lyrics, the atmosphere. - thats what makes the song so powerful. They captured that perfectly. Makes you want to rediscover it all over again.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 22, 2011 03:41

Nice!

I wish the Stones still could do such intense (club) versions.

But I'm afraid they would ruin the song live just like they did with M. Mile and Sister Morphine.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:16

Nice version. Sounds good.

Date: February 22, 2011 04:34

mickscarey

Jesse Malin is a New Yorker. He was frontman for D Generation, a hard rock band; but has found his sound better as solo artist. Personally I like him; have all his albums. I THINK he was an item with Lucinda Williams for a while. Anyway - he is one of the good guys.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:43

Jesse's a good friend of mine. We were talking Stones keys years ago, and Winter came up. I was glad to see it show up on the last tour. His new band, St. Marks Social is killer.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 22, 2011 04:52

stupidguy2
Very nice. Kind of gives you an idea of how great this song could have been live. Seems like it would be hard for a vocalist because of all the Jaggerisms and ad-libs, but this guy does a nice job of just singing it straight, and the guitarist has a mean Taylor-esque vibrato. They look like they got lost in the groove of the song....its melodicism, the tender lyrics, the atmosphere. - thats what makes the song so powerful. They captured that perfectly. Makes you want to rediscover it all over again.

Well said. The guitarist is Todd Youth

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 22, 2011 05:30

CousinC
Nice!

But I'm afraid they would ruin the song live just like they did with M. Mile and Sister Morphine.

You mean the latter-day Stones?
Yeah, with Fowler and Blondie doing oohs and calls-and-responses all over the place....yikes!
Im actually glad songs like this and Let It Loose have not been done live, its almost like their sanctified in their time.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: February 22, 2011 06:19

Yes!! The Stones are horrible!! Let's rip on them and call ourselves "fans". What keen insight all you whiners lend to this board!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 22, 2011 09:38

stupidguy2
CousinC
Nice!

You mean the latter-day Stones?
Yeah, with Fowler and Blondie doing oohs and calls-and-responses all over the place....yikes!
Im actually glad songs like this and Let It Loose have not been done live, its almost like their sanctified in their time.

Yes, it's actually an incredibly effective version of the song. I am very impressed!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 22, 2011 17:51

i love jesse malin. i've seen him live several times the past few years (including a 'living room' performance).

and i agree, the last album w/ St. Marks Social is indeed a killer! I just LOVE this Burning the Bowery track:

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: February 22, 2011 20:04

He opened with Winter in Manchester UK in December. It was very good.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 22, 2011 20:25

Palace Revolution 2000
mickscarey

Jesse Malin is a New Yorker. He was frontman for D Generation, a hard rock band; but has found his sound better as solo artist. Personally I like him; have all his albums. I THINK he was an item with Lucinda Williams for a while. Anyway - he is one of the good guys.

Thanks

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: February 22, 2011 20:25

Fantastic! Really how I'd like the Stones to do this

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 22, 2011 20:30

Yup, Jesse totally gets the vibe of this song and takes it where it needs to go. The Stones, sadly, would totally overlook the opportunity to take the song to this kind of atmosphere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home