Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT. Cliff Richards
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 18, 2013 14:38

This guy has always made me cringe over the years so not my taste at all and i'm sure many of you will think the same....BUT!! he has just released his 100th album and he still looks quite good for his age. He is older than Mick and started a few years before him. album was number 4 in the album charts. Still rocking and moving at well over 70 just like The Stones.

The album is covers of all of his rock and roll hero's from the 50's, just watched him on TV and i thought, wow, good tight band and he rocked good. As I said not my cup of tea but good luck to the guy to keep rock and roll alive.

Re: OT. Cliff Richards
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: November 18, 2013 15:16

Cliff Richard is not my cup of tea either, but I never understood why so many people developed such a hysterical aggression against him.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 18, 2013 15:31

windmelody
Cliff Richard is not my cup of tea either, but I never understood why so many people developed such a hysterical aggression against him.

Well for me his music was far too smooth but my older sister loves him. Just different tastes.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: November 18, 2013 15:37

he is one of the best british singer,must listen to the early recordings and you will tapping your feet or rocking round the clock and in 70 lot of cds made,he must be good to make 100th cd.CREDIT WHERE DUE.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2013 15:41

I'd rather be Keith Richard(s) than Cliff Richards.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 18, 2013 15:56

Cliff generally totally sucks...however..if we classify the 60s stuff we listen to (stones,beatles,kinks.who,yardbirds etc.) as beat groups then Cliff and The Shadows (named The Drifters on early records) are the start of it all. You need to listen to the original recordings of Move It,High Class Baby,Dynamite,Choppin and Changin, Cliffs first LP and you'll be surprised. Problem is both Cliff and The Shads were told - you wanna stay in this business, dump the rock and move to the centre ground. No-one had been where they were, there was no precedent so they did hence Living Doll (yuck), Summer Holiday (hell yuck), bachelor boy (oh dear god make it stop).
Cliff gave us the first young british guitar hero - Hank Marvin. Many of Cliff's early numbers were written by the Shads or ex-Drifters (Ian Samwell) and i think the 1960 Me and My Shadows lp contains all original numbers by the group. People often claim the fabs were first to do this but Cliff and The Shads did many things first. Each was known by the public by their first names (Hank,Bruce,Jet,Tony)and they were all excellent musicians and younger than the Beatles and Stones when they made it. Drummer Tony Meehan was 15 !
It was seeing the path that Cliff took that persuaded The Beatles and others that that wasn't the way to go ...i could go on. Do yourselves a favour and listen to Cliffs singles,b sides up to 1960 (skip Living Doll) and first lp and Me and My Shadows and also the original 1963 issue of The Shadows Greatest Hits. They were brilliant.
If you only want to listen to one track - Move It from the first lp Cliff which was recorded live in front of screaming kids at Abbey Road . Cliff has laryngitis and was refused permission to reschedule. He and the band rock. No shit.
No Cliff,no Shadows, no Shadows,no Beatles, no Beatles, no Stones.
and while you're at it check out Johnny Kidd and The Pirates. Awesome.
and The Sound Of Fury by Billy Fury. if you've heard those then you're probably justified in not listening to much else from the UK pre-Beatles era. It's critical stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 15:58 by ash.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 18, 2013 17:45

ash
Cliff generally totally sucks...however..if we classify the 60s stuff we listen to (stones,beatles,kinks.who,yardbirds etc.) as beat groups then Cliff and The Shadows (named The Drifters on early records) are the start of it all. You need to listen to the original recordings of Move It,High Class Baby,Dynamite,Choppin and Changin, Cliffs first LP and you'll be surprised. Problem is both Cliff and The Shads were told - you wanna stay in this business, dump the rock and move to the centre ground. No-one had been where they were, there was no precedent so they did hence Living Doll (yuck), Summer Holiday (hell yuck), bachelor boy (oh dear god make it stop).
Cliff gave us the first young british guitar hero - Hank Marvin. Many of Cliff's early numbers were written by the Shads or ex-Drifters (Ian Samwell) and i think the 1960 Me and My Shadows lp contains all original numbers by the group. People often claim the fabs were first to do this but Cliff and The Shads did many things first. Each was known by the public by their first names (Hank,Bruce,Jet,Tony)and they were all excellent musicians and younger than the Beatles and Stones when they made it. Drummer Tony Meehan was 15 !
It was seeing the path that Cliff took that persuaded The Beatles and others that that wasn't the way to go ...i could go on. Do yourselves a favour and listen to Cliffs singles,b sides up to 1960 (skip Living Doll) and first lp and Me and My Shadows and also the original 1963 issue of The Shadows Greatest Hits. They were brilliant.
If you only want to listen to one track - Move It from the first lp Cliff which was recorded live in front of screaming kids at Abbey Road . Cliff has laryngitis and was refused permission to reschedule. He and the band rock. No shit.
and The Sound Of Fury by Billy Fury. if you've heard those then you're probably justified in not listening to much else from the UK pre-Beatles era. It's critical stuff.

Great post Ash. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 18:10

Not my cup of tea, although he makes his fans very happy. Too smooth and no sex appeal at all. Sure he had some work done to maintain his youthfulness.

Date: November 18, 2013 18:15

Thanks Silver Dagger. Honestly, anyone reading please listen to even just that one track Move It from the 1st Cliff album. I understand your reluctance but go on...you wont be sorry though it may leave your brain in a state of confusion (it's brilliant...but it's Cliff Richard...does not make sense...ow my brain hurts...it feels so wrong...etc..)

Date: November 18, 2013 18:18

desertblues68
Not my cup of tea, although he makes his fans very happy. Too smooth and no sex appeal at all. Sure he had some work done to maintain his youthfulness.
NME friday 12th december 1958

and i quote..

"THIS columnist has always high praise for the "Oh Boy!" TV series. But producer Jack Good must be held responsible for permitting the most crude exhibitionism ever seen on British TV - by Cliff Richard last Saturday.
          His violent hip-swinging during an obvious attempt to copy Elvis Presley was revolting - hardly the kind of performance any parent could wish their children to witness.
          Remember, Tommy Steele became Britain's teenage idol without resorting to this form of indecency.
          If we are expected to Believe Cliff Richard was acting "naturally," then consideration for medical treatment before it's too late may be advisable."

Go listen to that one suggested track Move It from the 1st album "Cliff".
Avoid everything post-1960.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 18:40

ash
desertblues68
NME friday 12th december 1958

and i quote..

"THIS columnist has always high praise for the "Oh Boy!" TV series. But producer Jack Good must be held responsible for permitting the most crude exhibitionism ever seen on British TV - by Cliff Richard last Saturday.
          His violent hip-swinging during an obvious attempt to copy Elvis Presley was revolting - hardly the kind of performance any parent could wish their children to witness.
          Remember, Tommy Steele became Britain's teenage idol without resorting to this form of indecency.
          If we are expected to Believe Cliff Richard was acting "naturally," then consideration for medical treatment before it's too late may be advisable."

Go listen to that one suggested track Move It from the 1st album "Cliff".
Avoid everything post-1960.

Cheers will check this out. However a young Cliff (seen photos, videos etc.) has never done it for me. A young Mick oh man there are no words.........

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 18, 2013 19:00

Of course, there is some kinda Stones connection.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:12

For a period in the late 70s to early 80s he did release a string of well-crafted pop hits....starting with "Miss You Nights" and "Devil Woman"
through to "Carrie".

Not my cup of tea but I can appreciate a good tune!

PS

Cliff Richard ..... he never had an "s"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-18 21:13 by GuessWho.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:20

I think that many forget – or don’t even realise, perhaps – that Cliff Richard & The Shadows were pretty darn important to the British Rock N’ Roll Boom of the late 1950’s. He also deserves great credit for managing the onslaught of the Beatles by changing direction and continuing to have top-10 releases throughout his career. He’s one of those who didn’t ‘crack’ America, but he’s an institution in the U.K. I’m not a fan – only own a few downloads of his rock n’ roll numbers – but I respect and understand his importance and longevity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:27

Silver Dagger
ash

Great post Ash. thumbs upthumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:36

Big Al
I think that many forget – or don’t even realise, perhaps – that Cliff Richard & The Shadows were pretty darn important to the British Rock N’ Roll Boom of the late 1950’s. He also deserves great credit for managing the onslaught of the Beatles by changing direction and continuing to have top-10 releases throughout his career. He’s one of those who didn’t ‘crack’ America, but he’s an institution in the U.K. I’m not a fan – only own a few downloads of his rock n’ roll numbers – but I respect and understand his importance and longevity.

thumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 18, 2013 21:44

Big Al

thumbs up

His early songs, like Travellin' Light and Living Doll were terrific. The Shadows were a terrific band, too--I've got a bunch of their instrumental singles, and also Jet Harris and Tony Meehan's, after they left the band. By the time I was taken to see Cliff in panto, however, he'd gone off the boil a bit . . . Still, no denying his longevity.

Date: November 18, 2013 23:20

Travellin Light and Livin Doll are where it all starts going wrong for me.
Another good release is 2011's Let Me Tell You Baby Its Called Rock 'n' Roll- cliffs early bbc radio sessions released by Rollercoaster records from bernie andrew's bbc tapes...don't download it, buy it. it's brilliant.
btw hate his 70s stuff too ! but man, respect where it's due.

Re: OT. Cliff Richard
Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:18

I saw Sir Cliff Richard in 1987 live and remember his concert as a good one.

Unfortunatly, he didn't perform my favorite by him (Born To Rock'N'Roll).

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: November 19, 2013 01:22

He creeps me out but I understand he is very popular with the blue rinse brigade.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:29

Growing up in the U.S. in the 70s and 80s, this is my recollection, from 1976 to 1982, of Cliff Richards--hilarious by the way how once upon a time Keith was made to drop the "s" from his surname to be associated with Cliff, when now Cliff's surname is often mis-associated with England's other famous Richards:

Once, after A Little In Love was played on the radio the DJ came on and commented: "A little in love? That's like being.... a little broke, isn't it?"

Then in the early 80s Cliff Richard became something of a running target of satire on one of my favorite British TV comedy shows The Young Ones.

I never realized until just this moment while looking this up that the opening theme song of The Young Ones TV show was actually a cover of a Cliff Richards song. Fancy that!

At any rate, I am more content to enjoy my memories of Cliff Richard via Rik Mayall and company than to relive the song memories of the videos I posted above.

The young ones, darling were the young ones
And the young ones, shouldn't be afraid
To live, love, while the flame has strong
Couse we may not, be the young ones, very long.

tomorrow, why wait until tomorrow
Couse tomorrow, sometimes never comes
So love, me ,there's a song to be sung
And the best time, is to sing it , while we're young.

Once in every life time, comes to love like this
Oh! I need you,you need me, oh my darling can't you see.

young dreams, shouldn't be dreamed together
And the young hearts, should't be afraid
And some,day when the years have flown
Darling than we'll ,teach the young ones of our own.

The Young Ones live on stage with Cliff Richard (and his 80s mullet!)....

So, as a U.S. music fan, what does Cliff Richard mean to me? Answer: Rik Mayall.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 19, 2013 03:43

I'd forgotten The Young Ones--the song, not the show. I loved both of them, the song in a totally non-cynical way because, well, I was a young one. smiling smiley (I'd forgotten Move It, too, that was fantastic.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home