Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Taylor Vs Wood One final thought
Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:31

Ok so here is my two cents on this matter. I was just watching Ladies and Gentlemen last night and started thinking about the people on here who swear Ron Wood is the best and great and all of that. And what I was thinking was ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS ? The way Taylor played was a thing of beauty . I was also thinking listening to Love In Vain was whether they even tried to play it with Woodie . I don't think they did and I am sure he would have screwed it up. Jeez he even stole most of the solo he played on Can't you hear me knocking when they played it live . So I submit to those of you who insist that Ron Wood is better to get your hearing checked.

OK I am done with me Rant. cool smiley

Re: Taylor Vs Wood One final thought
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:35

Oops an other thread that will be closed soon...............but your right headly123

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:36

They played LIV with Wood. In 78', 95', 98', 02' and 07'.
There are like 1000 threads saying what you just said.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:36

headly123
Ok so here is my two cents on this matter. I was just watching Ladies and Gentlemen last night and started thinking about the people on here who swear Ron Wood is the best and great and all of that. And what I was thinking was ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS ? The way Taylor played was a thing of beauty . I was also thinking listening to Love In Vain was whether they even tried to play it with Woodie . I don't think they did and I am sure he would have screwed it up. Jeez he even stole most of the solo he played on Can't you hear me knocking when they played it live . So I submit to those of you who insist that Ron Wood is better to get your hearing checked.

OK I am done with me Rant. cool smiley

I don't think people do think Woodie is better, from what i have read over the past 3 or 4 years on here is that most people want Taylor back, as for me, well i'll just sit on the fence .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-16 18:37 by pgarof.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:40

This debate will never have a final thought unless the world ends next year.

"Love in Vain" was played with Woody many times. My personal favorite with Ronnie is the version on HANDSOME GIRLS from the King Biscuit Flower Hour recordings of the 1978 tour. There's also an officially released version on STRIPPED from 1995. Be forewarned that it's a rehearsal version and they leave in Keith screwing up and the band having to start the song over so brace yourself if you've never heard it and are used to thinking of 1969-1973 as perfection.

You might want to be more familiar with post-1974 official releases and commonly bootlegged radio broadcasts available for free download on this very site before some wag suggests you get your vision checked before being outraged at others' equally subjective opinions.

Incidentally, before judging me a Woody apostate, my favorite live eras are '69-'73 and '78 and '81. I also love the Brian Jones era in the studio as much as the Taylor era in the studio and thought the studio recordings from 1991-1997 were brilliant as well so I'm all over the place.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:49

OK then headly - that's the final word then. Discussion closed.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:57

I think both are great and original guitar players.However in their heyday Mick was a better guitar player simply due to his killer sound and seamless soloing.Not that Ronnie was a slouch but he has always been graced with a more grittier and earthly sound whereas Taylor was simply soaring to heavens when soloing.I think that Ronnie might be a better guitar player nowadays because Mick seems to have lost his otherworldy sound along the way while Ronnie never really had one in the first place.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 16, 2011 18:57

Silver Dagger
Discussion closed.

That'll be the day confused smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:26

stones78
They played LIV with Wood. In 78', 95', 98', 02' and 07'.
There are like 1000 threads saying what you just said.
But this is the final one.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:30

It's remarkable, that the best version of LIV with RW is the one which the Faces played in the beginning of the seventies. No Stones version with RW matches the Faces in this matter.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:33

I never understand that RWood didn't played with the Stones as he did with the Faces, if I see old Faces clips he's outstanding........

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:38

The two were crucial players for their time with the band. No point in just sticking with one.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:38

"Taylor Vs Wood One final thought.." Somehow I doubt the 'final' in this statement...

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:41

ChrisM
"Taylor Vs Wood One final thought.." Somehow I doubt the 'final' in this statement...

final? it wasn't even an original thought.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:48

I still think Keith's playing of love in vain on LIB is the best of them all...

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:52

It's funny that Brian never gets mentioned in this debate. I assume most of us are too young to remember but where does Brian fit on this scale? Taylor will always be the sound I remember from the early 70's.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:55

Taylor and Wood have different strengths. Ronnie blends with Keith but I wish there was a little more distinction between the two. Then again I can't imagine the crunchy fun of the late 70s-early 80s Stones with Mick playing rhythm.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:55

I can't see many arguing about MT beeing a better guitarplayer technically. MT was also absolutely perfect for the Stones in the style they were operating in at the time he came in.
As a musician, I don't think Ronnie lacks anything compared to MT.
As a Rolling Stone, I don't think there's much doubt about Ronnie beeing the best fit. I mean, Ronnie's been in the band for 36 years, MT was there for 5, so that should indicate something.
As for the songs MT originally played on, I don't think Ronne comes close most of the time, but he has surely had his moments. Much of his slide-playing can be just as good as MTs. He has also added his signature on many of the older songs which he might not play better than MT, but plays them in his own way that works quite as good, though not as brilliant, technically, as MTs playing.

That beeing said, I really like all the three guitarplayers that have been on Keiths side, as they all have added their own flavor to the Stones music. In that context the who's better than who - discussion is pretty pointless imo.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-16 20:28 by audun-eg.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 16, 2011 19:58

Sad but Brian got bored playing the guitar and moved on to playing other things. He didn't
live long enough to show how good he really could be!

Ronnie and Brian are alike in many ways since both could play almost anything!

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 16, 2011 20:36

Rocky Dijon
. There's also an officially released version on STRIPPED from 1995. Be forewarned that it's a rehearsal version and they leave in Keith screwing up and the band having to start the song over so brace yourself if you've never heard it and are used to thinking of 1969-1973 as perfection.
quote]

Have you listened to the conversation between Keith and the band when they stop LIV when he messes up? It's hysterical.....He says he misses an archepelleger (not sure if that is spelled right) to which Ronnie says "Arthur" and starts laughing. Glad they kept it!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 16, 2011 20:47

it was a combination appregio/archepelago...which, as i understand it is a run of island notes....

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 16, 2011 20:55

NICOS
I never understand that RWood didn't played with the Stones as he did with the Faces, if I see old Faces clips he's outstanding........

That's because in the Faces there wasn't another junkie-pirate guitar player putting him 'in his place'.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 16, 2011 21:09

From your lips to Mick and Keith's ears, honey.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 16, 2011 21:32

Hey - I thought they sounded pretty good "TOGETHER" at the 100 Club Gig

Why not both show up at the next Stones Show?????????????????

MLC

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 16, 2011 21:35

I love them both.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 16, 2011 21:48

jamesfdouglas
NICOS

That's because in the Faces there wasn't another junkie-pirate guitar player putting him 'in his place'.

Exactly - Ronnie is somehow limited in his playing because of Keith's and Ronnie accepts it. Keith wanted Mick T. to play a limited part in Stones, but Mick T. didn't accept it. When Keith saw to good vibrations between Mick and Mick he got jealous and began terrorising Mick T and in the end it was enough for Mick T.

Everybody here knows that Keith is a spolied rotten kid - being a only child doesn't help it (the same about tiny todger story). His manners and behaviour would fit perfectly into a psycological studycase.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:12

Ronnie have been a member of Stones in more than 35 years now...what are we debating?

Ronnie Wood

2 1 2 0

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:17

OK you guys who said you doubt is was the final thought. I should rephrase that and say that is MY last thought on the topic. While I accept others peoples opinions about what they like I just prefer Taylor's. And to others who commented anout listening to boots I don't have have so I can't say if he played better then what I have heard already.

Myabe my opinion is a bit jaded because as Keith declined in his playing so did Woods. Actually the whole sound of the band changed when Wood joined.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:23

We're arguing whether or not opinions can be factual.

It's the age-old argument of whether art is just what one likes or whether it is a higher end unto itself that must by definition be Good with no room for contrary thought. In the classical world, the argument was usually justified with religion - great works of art give glory to God and could not be argued against on matters of personal taste. As society became more secularized, the rights of the individual became more respected. However, human nature has a weakness for elitist views so you start by drawing a line in the sand and saying those on one side are Wrong and must convert. In its own trivial way the Taylor vs. Wood argument at its most extreme mirrors this unfortunate behavior. Human beings have a tendency to use the same bullying technique on every issue regardless of its relevancy.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:34

Not all only children are brats. Brian is a bigger brat than Keith and he had a sister and a full time mom and dad.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1738
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home