Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Taylor Vs Wood One final thought
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 16, 2011 22:42

headly123
OK you guys who said you doubt is was the final thought. I should rephrase that and say that is MY last thought on the topic. While I accept others peoples opinions about what they like I just prefer Taylor's. And to others who commented anout listening to boots I don't have have so I can't say if he played better then what I have heard already.

Myabe my opinion is a bit jaded because as Keith declined in his playing so did Woods. Actually the whole sound of the band changed when Wood joined.

ok. so noted.so - now is THIS your final thought? cos the last one turned out to be a tease....

Posted by: headly123 ()
Date: February 16, 2011 23:08

LOL
No more teasing. Thoughts on that topic ARE DONE .
Maybe I will really piss people off and start another should they tour or not thread. hot smiley

Lord knows that hasn't been discussed in at least 10 minutes.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 16, 2011 23:50

headly123
LOL
No more teasing. Thoughts on that topic ARE DONE .
Maybe I will really piss people off and start another should they tour or not thread. hot smiley

Lord knows that hasn't been discussed in at least 10 minutes.

you know what I think we need? a fresh todgergate thread. i'm getting clear withdrawal symptoms....

Posted by: Corcovado ()
Date: February 16, 2011 23:56

Mick Taylor was one of many fine guitar players of his time - and I truly dig him for that - unfortunately he was just a fifth wheel in the band of the rolling stones. Woody, by never ever having his class as a guitar player, was simply much better match for the band.

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: February 16, 2011 23:57

pgarof
I don't think people do think Woodie is better, from what i have read over the past 3 or 4 years on here is that most people want Taylor back, as for me, well i'll just sit on the fence .

The hope is one last great Stones album and tour with Taylor and Wood instead of Keith. It's all about the music, and the music has been somewhat suffereing the last tour because of Keith, now some yrs later this will only be worst. Playing with Keith i think will be out of the question, so a line up with Taylor and Wood would be an interesting experience, I'm sure they will all get inspired again and delivere something good, Keith however seems bitter and depressed to me, no inspiration coming from that corner anymore. Just the way it is.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:03

Exactly and no Mick. All Bernard. That would be the best Stones ever.

While we're at it, Charlie can be replaced, too.

While I enjoy these incessant pleas for Keith to do the "honorable" thing and step down, I suspect there are business reasons that preclude it from happening, but keep on running with it. It is entertaining. Pipe dreams usually are.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 17, 2011 00:32

headly123
Ok so here is my two cents on this matter. I was just watching Ladies and Gentlemen last night and started thinking about the people on here who swear Ron Wood is the best and great and all of that. And what I was thinking was ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS ? The way Taylor played was a thing of beauty . I was also thinking listening to Love In Vain was whether they even tried to play it with Woodie . I don't think they did and I am sure he would have screwed it up. Jeez he even stole most of the solo he played on Can't you hear me knocking when they played it live . So I submit to those of you who insist that Ron Wood is better to get your hearing checked.

OK I am done with me Rant. cool smiley

-------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-17 00:41 by 71Tele.

Date: February 17, 2011 00:39

NICOS
I never understand that RWood didn't played with the Stones as he did with the Faces, if I see old Faces clips he's outstanding........

Exactly. I loved Wood in Faces, dislike him in the Stones, except for the Some Girls/ER era, where I think he really did contribute. This has been discussed many times before, and there are many things I could say that I have already said on other threads, but mainly it comes down to this:

1. Wood accepted a role in the band that diminished him as a person and as a player.

2. The decline of the Stones as artists coincides with the long Wood era (which is not Ronnie's fault).

3. Ronnie's playing on songs on which Taylor was an original key element has not generally reflected well on Wood, as the standard set by Taylor was quite high. Ronnie did not make these songs his own, as Taylor had done with the Jones-era material.

That's it really.

Date: February 17, 2011 00:40

Corcovado
Mick Taylor was one of many fine guitar players of his time - and I truly dig him for that - unfortunately he was just a fifth wheel in the band of the rolling stones. Woody, by never ever having his class as a guitar player, was simply much better match for the band.

Yeah, in every way except musically. I'll take a "fifth wheel" like Taylor any time, thank you very much.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:48

71Tele
NICOS
I never understand that RWood didn't played with the Stones as he did with the Faces, if I see old Faces clips he's outstanding........

Exactly. I loved Wood in Faces, dislike him in the Stones, except for the Some Girls/ER era, where I think he really did contribute. This has been discussed many times before, and there are many things I could say that I have already said on other threads, but mainly it comes down to this:

1. Wood accepted a role in the band that diminished him as a person and as a player.

2. The decline of the Stones as artists coincides with the long Wood era (which is not Ronnie's fault).

3. Ronnie's playing on songs on which Taylor was an original key element has not generally reflected well on Wood, as the standard set by Taylor was quite high. Ronnie did not make these songs his own, as Taylor had done with the Jones-era material.

That's it really.

A fair and honest take on things.

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 17, 2011 01:57

Come On
Ronnie have been a member of Stones in more than 35 years now...what are we debating?

Ronnie Wood

EXACTLY! Thank you very much! While BJ and MT were great, they are no longer a part of the stones. And Having Mick Taylor come back to play is ridiculous, as is Bill Wyman for that matter, they left the band both of them over 20 years ago!

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Date: February 17, 2011 02:02

marchbaby
Come On
Ronnie have been a member of Stones in more than 35 years now...what are we debating?

Ronnie Wood

EXACTLY! Thank you very much! While BJ and MT were great, they are no longer a part of the stones. And Having Mick Taylor come back to play is ridiculous, as is Bill Wyman for that matter, they left the band both of them over 20 years ago!

The relative longevity of any member of the band is completely beside the point in this debate, and it amazes me that people keep bringing it up, as if the fact (which we are well aware of, thank you very much) that Taylor left the band a long time ago means we can't debate the relative skills and contributions of these band members.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:10

This is what makes KR and Mister MT sooooooooo special.............play it LOUD.............

Date: February 17, 2011 02:13

NICOS
This is what makes KR and Mister MT sooooooooo special.............play it LOUD.............

That's right. All the evidence you need is right here.

Date: February 17, 2011 02:18

Taylor was also a bit smarter with his sound and speed. Ronnie has played some phenomenal slide runs w/ Stones, at dazzling speeds. There are some version of All Down the Line from the mid 90's era, with Ronnie not missing a blink in a dizzying solo that goes for the jugular. But he plays it in a much thinner, delayed sound; so lot of it is kind of lost.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:20

Since Taylor left before i was even a year old, Ronnie's always been in 'my' Stones. I like him a lot, I'm a fan or sure. I wasn't aware of his brilliance however until i discovered The Faces and his first 2 solo albums (i fell into that around 1994). I know that his best work is not with the Stones, and like it's already been pointed out, it's not his fault.

As for Brian Jones, he died before I was born. I missed that whole era, but it seems to me that while he did start the band and added tons of colour with other instruments on some key tracks, he's basically a ghost to me.

I nvere had the chance to see Mick Taylor, and I missed the opportunity of a lifetime about 7 years ago. He came to play at a blues club here in Ottawa (Tuscon's) on the day of a huge blackout that took out most of the city. Apparently the show went on - unplugged acoustically.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 17, 2011 02:22

marchbaby
Come On

Ronnie Wood

Agreed,too late to turn back the clock now.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 17, 2011 03:36

This again!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 04:15

I don't understand people saying Ron Wood in the Stones is different than Ron Wood in the Faces. Of course the songs in which Taylor played long solos suffered (YCAGWYW) when played live and it was a mistake to keep playing them in those arrangements. But Ronnie never was much of a fantastic soloist with The Faces either. He was never that kind of player...always closer to Keith's style. The band probably didn't benefit from having one guitar player being sort of a "poor man's" version of the other, but Ronnie was as good/bad as always.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 17, 2011 04:53

stones78
I don't understand people saying Ron Wood in the Stones is different than Ron Wood in the Faces. Of course the songs in which Taylor played long solos suffered (YCAGWYW) when played live and it was a mistake to keep playing them in those arrangements. But Ronnie never was much of a fantastic soloist with The Faces either. He was never that kind of player...always closer to Keith's style. The band probably didn't benefit from having one guitar player being sort of a "poor man's" version of the other, but Ronnie was as good/bad as always.

listen to the tone of his guitar with the Faces, then with the Stones.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: February 17, 2011 05:41

cc

Even if his tone changed, he's still the same type of player. But they are completely different bands. What works for one band doesn't work for the other.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 17, 2011 05:59

Woody has better hair.

Date: February 17, 2011 07:36

stones78
cc

Even if his tone changed, he's still the same type of player. But they are completely different bands. What works for one band doesn't work for the other.

Not at all. In the Faces he led the band and had a great deal of confidence. he became more of a jokester and sidekick in the Stones, Musically, he also relied on a very thin tone with the Stones for much of the time, which is not very much to my liking. He used more colors of the instrument in the Faces.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 17, 2011 07:50

71Tele
stones78
cc

Not at all. In the Faces he led the band and had a great deal of confidence. he became more of a jokester and sidekick in the Stones, Musically, he also relied on a very thin tone with the Stones for much of the time, which is not very much to my liking. He used more colors of the instrument in the Faces.

Yes, and that's important. I think it's gone somewhat better on ABB though; who knows where it may end. They seem to be on a viable musical track.

Date: February 17, 2011 07:56

skipstone
Woody has better hair.

I know you are joking, but it amazes me that there are many people on this site who basically say that to defend Wood and attack Taylor ("Ronnie looks like a Stone") and they are being quite serious.

Date: February 17, 2011 08:01

lsbz
71Tele
stones78
cc

Yes, and that's important. I think it's gone somewhat better on ABB though; who knows where it may end. They seem to be on a viable musical track.

He played on ABB? OK, I'm joking - kind of. I don't know how "viable" a member of a band is when he isn't even part of the sessions until much of the work has already been done.

You know, one thing Ronnie really brought to Some Girls was the pedal steel. The way he used it on Whip was really innovative. He found a way to put his own stamp on the group's guitar sound. But it never really went anywhere after that, except for a few decent tracks (one of which was his bass on Emotional Rescue). Live, he just never evolved or found a distinctive voice. It's not so much that he wasn't Mick Taylor, it's just that he wasn't even really a very good Ronnie Wood.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-17 08:04 by 71Tele.

Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 17, 2011 08:23

71Tele
He played on ABB? OK, I'm joking - kind of. I don't know how "viable" a member of a band is when he isn't even part of the sessions until much of the work has already been done.

Whoever played the slide on Rough Justice did a nice job. It's a part you really notice.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 17, 2011 11:27

71Tele
Corcovado

Yeah, in every way except musically. I'll take a "fifth wheel" like Taylor any time, thank you very much.

Best reply on this board ever. thumbs up

Date: February 17, 2011 11:51

headly123
Ok so here is my two cents on this matter. I was just watching Ladies and Gentlemen last night and started thinking about the people on here who swear Ron Wood is the best and great and all of that. And what I was thinking was ARE YOU FRIGGEN NUTS ? The way Taylor played was a thing of beauty . I was also thinking listening to Love In Vain was whether they even tried to play it with Woodie . I don't think they did and I am sure he would have screwed it up. Jeez he even stole most of the solo he played on Can't you hear me knocking when they played it live . So I submit to those of you who insist that Ron Wood is better to get your hearing checked.

OK I am done with me Rant. cool smiley

LOL! Do your homework. Not only did the Stones do LIV with Ronnie on the 1978 tour, they re-recorded the song with him in 1995 on Stripped! Where have you been, man?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-17 12:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 17, 2011 11:53

Guitar-Heroes is serious business...

smoking smileycool smileysmoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-17 11:54 by Come On.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home