Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: O.T. Faces Tour is on
Posted by: lsbz ()
Date: February 18, 2011 11:52

ablett
"I'm not going to listen, because I rarely change my mind about music and it probably would be a waste of my time."

Unlike contributing to a thread when you can't even listen to the music your criticising?

Yes, because one of my purposes for contributing to this board is to get some good pop/rock taste back. I think it's imperative that people don't take anything on face value. Spending time more consciously is essential for that; if I made some realize that a little by hesitating to play the clip, it would be very useful.

Date: February 18, 2011 11:56

lsbz
DandelionPowderman
<because they generally don't play well live after 1970.>

Do you regard the 1970 tour as better than the 1972 tour...

If that's the British tour; definitely, yes.

DandelionPowderman
and why?

I think still more disciplined playing, like in 1969. The trouble with the early 70s rock sound is often that it can be too heavy and broad to get the subtilities of the music. Timing suffers for the increased energy that you get. It's lazy energy.

Then you obviously mean that the Stones didn't play well live after 1971. That's when the british tour was. That tour was a little too messy if you ask me. But then again, I've only heard the Marquee show, Leeds and London Roundhouse. Which boot do you recommend that you think is better than the 1972 shows?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 12:15 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 18, 2011 12:08

DandelionPowderman
lsbz
DandelionPowderman
<because they generally don't play well live after 1970.>

Do you regard the 1970 tour as better than the 1972 tour...

If that's the British tour; definitely, yes.

DandelionPowderman
and why?

I think still more disciplined playing, like in 1969. The trouble with the early 70s rock sound is often that it can be too heavy and broad to get the subtilities of the music. Timing suffers for the increased energy that you get. It's lazy energy.

Then you obviously mean that the Stones didn't play live after 1971. That's when the british tour was.

Yes, it was in 1971.

DandelionPowderman
That tour was a little too messy if you ask me. But then again, I've only heard the Marquee show, Leeds and London Roundhouse. Which boot do you recommend that you think is better than the 1972 shows?

I think I recently downloaded Coventry on the recommendation of someone on this board. I haven't played much of it, but I liked it. I also liked the Marquee show. Not very good, but quite good, certainly compared to most of 1972 and after.
And before the seventies, there probably were quite a few that were better, and even much better, but I don't know if you meant that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 12:25 by lsbz.

Date: February 18, 2011 12:29

No, I was asking about 1971, because what I've heard from that tour (Marquee included) is not exactly what I would call disciplined playing.

Date: February 18, 2011 12:38

DandelionPowderman
No, I was asking about 1971, because what I've heard from that tour (Marquee included) is not exactly what I would call disciplined playing.

Still more disciplined than in 1972 and after, I would say. What I meant was that it *slowly* turned around; the point were I would say that it is not good anymore is *somewhere* between 1969 and 1972. Many people think Brussels 1973 is great, but I never liked it. Too speedy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 12:41 by lsbz.

Date: February 18, 2011 14:13

lsbz
DandelionPowderman

Still more disciplined than in 1972 and after, I would say. What I meant was that it *slowly* turned around; the point were I would say that it is not good anymore is *somewhere* between 1969 and 1972. Many people think Brussels 1973 is great, but I never liked it. Too speedy.

What's wrong with 1978? They got the tempos right by then.

Date: February 18, 2011 14:27

DandelionPowderman
lsbz
DandelionPowderman

What's wrong with 1978? They got the tempos right by then.

After the mid-seventies the music became less interesting, and generally I feel that the real motivation became missing. I saw them live in 1981 and they only played well for like 5 minutes. Compare Love You Live and Still Life to YaYa's, and the first two got no real good tracks, while YaYa's has four.

Date: February 18, 2011 14:30

Personally, I find the playing on Twenty Flight Rock better than that on Little Queenie (which is brilliant, too). So if you go by playing well only, there should be many fine moments on both LYL and Still Life.

If you don't like the sound (guitars, mix etc.) on the newer records, or Jagger's singing, I can understand your view.

Date: February 18, 2011 14:38

DandelionPowderman
Personally, I find the playing on Twenty Flight Rock better than that on Little Queenie (which is brilliant, too).

Here is where we really part. If you talk about loose playing, Twenty Flight Rock is an example of that, while I agree that Little Queenie is brilliant. There's no comparison. I thought that Around And Around is the best on the other two (Love You Live), and almost real good.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 14:50

Am I wrong or isn't this thread about the Faces tour?

Over one page of comparing old Stones tour. Please open another one to discuss this topic!

Date: February 18, 2011 14:51

smiling smiley Sorry, will stop.

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: February 18, 2011 14:53

Thank a lot.

Date: February 18, 2011 14:54

Here's some more good stuff from the 2010 gigs:

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 18, 2011 14:59

andy js
I have no problem people playing with whoever they want!

But to pass it off as a band it clearly isn't is just plain wrong IMHO.

Why not call it Mac, Jones, Hucknall and Wood ?

It's NOT The Faces. That's my only beef

Well that and them sounding crap of course

Well that and them sounding crap of course

The only possible interpretation of a statement such as this is that you NEVER EVER liked the Faces. Neither did you like them with Rod way back when, nor do you like them in their current form with Hucknall on vocals. Calling themselves the Faces in 2010/2011 most certainly does not appear to be your ONLY beef.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 18, 2011 15:08

He probably stopped listening to them when Tetsu joined the band...

Date: February 18, 2011 15:15

paulywaul
Neither did you like them with Rod way back when

Speaking for myself, I bought the singles Maggie May and You Wear It Well back in the day, and I still have them. I thought I also had Cindy Incidentally, but I checked and didn't. I may have lost or never bought it, but I liked it anyway. Never liked Rod Stewart's solo stuff, so I guess it must be a Faces thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 15:16 by lsbz.

Date: February 18, 2011 15:20

Maggie May and You Wear It Well are Rod solo numbers, even though Faces play on at least Maggie May, and Ronnie helped writing it.

Date: February 18, 2011 15:22

DandelionPowderman
Maggie May and You Wear It Well are Rod solo numbers, even though Faces play on at least Maggie May, and Ronnie helped writing it.

That's partly a self-deceiving statement; no comment.

Date: February 18, 2011 15:33

This rocks:

Date: February 18, 2011 15:36

lsbz
DandelionPowderman

What's with you? It was released as a Rod Stewart single. No doubt about that.

Date: February 18, 2011 15:45

For everyone that don't think Mick Hucknall can't do a great job with the Faces:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 15:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 18, 2011 16:03

DandelionPowderman
lsbz
DandelionPowderman

What's with you? It was released as a Rod Stewart single. No doubt about that.

Record companies have marketing strategies; that says little about the music. What do they know about the motives of their customers to buy records?! I like Memo From Turner too, but don't really see it as a solo-effort.
Considering the IMO artistic decline of Rod Stewart as a solo-artist, I think these are childish games. For people who haven't experienced the seventies: Rod Stewart solo in the minds of many at the time started from Sailing onwards. I think that's a realistic line.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 16:19 by lsbz.

Date: February 18, 2011 16:19

Memo From Turner (single version) is Jagger and Ry Cooder all the way, it's got nothing to do with the Stones. The Metamorphosis version, however, is a good one, although there is a dispute concerning how many stones members that actually play on the track. At least there is more than one.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:22

LOL DandelionPowderman. I so admire your stamina in trying to convince lsbz, but I really think it is useless. lsbz's mind is made up, lsbz is one of the few in this world who know how to listen to music, lsbz will never ever listen to the clips you posted because that would be a waste of time etc. etc.
Please enjoy the music and don't let anyone take away that fun.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 18, 2011 16:28

DandelionPowderman
Memo From Turner (single version) is Jagger and Ry Cooder all the way, it's got nothing to do with the Stones. The Metamorphosis version, however, is a good one, although there is a dispute concerning how many stones members that actually play on the track. At least there is more than one.

Making the discussion complicated again. I'm referring to the Memo From Turner on the Singles Collection, but isn't that a Stones record?! The authenticiy of the Singles Collection singles must IMO be doubted anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-18 16:29 by lsbz.

Date: February 18, 2011 16:41

lsbz
DandelionPowderman

Making the discussion complicated again. I'm referring to the Memo From Turner on the Singles Collection, but isn't that a Stones record?! The authenticiy of the Singles Collection singles must IMO be doubted anyway.

The Mick Jagger solo track, Memo From Turner, is in fact on the Rolling Stones' Singles Collection. Weird? Yeah, but that's how it is. The instrumental B-side of Memo From Turner (don't remember the title), which didn't feature Jagger at all is also released on a Stones compilation. So it can be complicated at times smiling smiley

Date: February 18, 2011 16:42

Rolling Hansie
LOL DandelionPowderman. I so admire your stamina in trying to convince lsbz, but I really think it is useless. lsbz's mind is made up, lsbz is one of the few in this world who know how to listen to music, lsbz will never ever listen to the clips you posted because that would be a waste of time etc. etc.
Please enjoy the music and don't let anyone take away that fun.

LOL! I think I'm giving in now smileys with beer

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:47

rats & drats - how many times does one have to install the bleedin plug-in before the seating plan shows??
i'm trying for the Berlin show, but it seems that to choose your seat you have to use the seating-plan gizmo
and it keeps telling me i need a plug-in that i've already installed three times

what do i need to do differently, please and thank you?

Date: February 18, 2011 16:48

DandelionPowderman
lsbz
DandelionPowderman

The Mick Jagger solo track, Memo From Turner, is in fact on the Rolling Stones' Singles Collection. Weird? Yeah, but that's how it is.

Yes. And likewise I have at least one Faces track on a "Best of Rod Stewart" CD, namely Stay With Me. At the time there was no real distinction; I still think it's childish. Stay With Me was a big hit where I live, and if the same singer records Maggie May with the same musicians, you don't fool me.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: February 18, 2011 16:53

with sssoul, have you tried Polish eventim in Warsaw? The last time I ordered the tickets for The Stones and other concerts they were pretty handy and with a much cheaper delivery.
22/621 94 54
22/ 656 72 99
I think one of the numbers works for German concert tickets however I haven't tried them for 2 years...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1718
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home