Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT: 18 Beatles Songs John Lennon Hated
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 15, 2013 01:00

Re: OT: 18 Beatles Songs John Lennon Hated
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 15, 2013 01:13

I agree with “Good Morning, Good Morning” and “Birthday”

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: October 15, 2013 01:16

Love John...always have...but he had a real tendency to shit all over his work and the rest of the Beatles whenever he has having a tough day or going through therapy or whatever, only to turn around a year or two later when questioned about it and say "Well...I didn't REALLY mean it like that"....etc

you had to take Lennon with a grain of salt.... he loved to shoot his mouth off and so may time had to take it back

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2013 01:20

Agreed. He would bitch about Paul's Granny music, yet write a song like Bungalow Bill. He is an emotional bag of contradictions that comes from a lot of insecurity.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 15, 2013 02:08

hard to argue with most of his choices. Everyone has lousy songs, no matter how great the artist.

Posted by: zumabitch ()
Date: October 15, 2013 02:40

BV can heave a sigh of relief; if it were a list of Stones' songs John didn't like, he should open a supplementary hosting server

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 15, 2013 02:47

Lennon also commented later on that he wanted to re-record every song The Beatles had ever made, which was a comment on what he felt was George Martin's excessive production. Martin reveals that he was taken aback by this.

“I said to John, ‘I can’t believe that. Think of all we’ve done, and you want to re-record everything?’ He said, ‘Yeah, everything.’ And I said, ‘What about Strawberry Fields?’ He looked at me and said, ‘Especially Strawberry Fields.’

“I was very disappointed with that. If he felt that way about it, he should have recorded the bloody thing himself.”

Beat it: Lennon at work with Martin

Further details at: [rocknewsdesk.com]

It seems Lennon's biggest resentments stem from not necessarily the songs themselves, but the way in which they were recorded.

"The Beatles didn't make a good record of "Across the Universe." I think subconsciously we -- I thought Paul subconsciously tried to destroy my great songs. We would play experimental games with my great pieces, like "Strawberry Fields," which I always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine -- especially a great song like "Strawberry Fields" or "Across the Universe" -- somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up."

--John Lennon

John's biggest criticism of Paul was that he felt that Paul lacked a savviness, an adventurousness with lyrics.

"I always had an easier time with lyrics, though Paul is quite a capable lyricist who doesn't think he is. So he doesn't go for it. Rather than face the problem, he would avoid it. Hey, Jude is a damn good set of lyrics. I made no contribution to the lyrics there. And a couple of lines he has come up with show indications of a good lyricist. But he just hasn't taken it anywhere."

--John Lennon

"I think everything that comes out of a song -- even Paul's songs now, which are apparently about nothing -- shows something about yourself."

--John Lennon

One shouldn't react so harshly, though, to Lennon's often moody denouncement of certain Beatles songs, and Paul's in particular, because it was exactly this type of post-Beatles criticism that spurred Paul on to write one his best known--and best overall--songs of his post-Beatles years: Silly Love Songs.

The song has been covered numerous times, once even by Macca himself, but first in 1977 by Shirley Bassey.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 15, 2013 02:57

Lennon was nothing without Paul. His solo records show that. Junk.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: October 15, 2013 02:58

seems low.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 15, 2013 03:01

Some of Paul's songs were.......nursery rhyme-ish, quite juvenile.

He could be heavy though if he wanted, like on his first solo album and a few on the White Album, but it wasn't his preference.

I liked I Dig a Pony. Good song, good guitar work there.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 15, 2013 04:07

I get the sense that Lennon was a bit of an arse.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 15, 2013 04:51

More Hot Rocks

You may not like Lennon and be more of a McCartney fan, but to label all of Lennon's solo work as junk? That is ridiculous.

Tons of amazing material. I like them both. But Lennon's Plastic Ono Band was a groundbreaking rock n' roll album. Beautiful, and far superior to McCartney. I do like McCartney, but those two albums are in different leagues. McCartney and Lennon complimented each other perfectly. And brought out the best in each other supplementing each other's strengths. McCartney rocked, Lennon Rocked, yet what is interesting is McCartney being known as a ballad sentimental guy and Lennon the hard one, but some of McCartney's best songs are his rockers, and some of Lennon's most profound are his sensitive ballad type songs. Julia, Love, Jealous Guy, Aisumasen (I'm Sorry) (with arguably one of the best guitar solos on a Lennon solo disc) are stunning beautifully touching songs. And of course Imagine. Well I guess I like them both and love both their solo careers. Oh, and Walls and Bridges! Another favorite of mine. Gritty New York funk, what Double Fantasy should have been.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-15 04:58 by whitem8.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 15, 2013 05:49

Gee Lennon picked those and left Revolution 9 off the list. That is pure CRAP!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 15, 2013 06:19

John also didn't care for And Your Bird Can Sing which I think is an incredible song. Silly Love Songs? You're kidding. What a piece of junk.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 15, 2013 06:37

Lennon was up and down so yes taking him with a pinch of salt was necessary. He was conversely glowing about many Beatles songs. Esp Paul's. He touted things such as "Oh darli'", "Here there everywhere", "Got to get you into my life, "Night before", "Hey Jude" and dozens of others as outstanding or brilliant. He also regularly spoke up songs he had written eg "Tomorrow never knows", "The continuing...Bill", "I am the walrus" etc.

He also bagged "And you bird can sing" as noted above and that's a fkn cracker!

I don't agree with this 18 song list for a minute as I think many are great songs.

And to say Lennon's post Beatles material is "junk" is a pedestrian comment. His first two outings with Plastic Ono Band and Imagine (the lp) are masterpieces as is Walls And Bridges from 1974. He basically did @#$%& all after that till DF which would have been fine if not for Yoko's rubbish.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 15, 2013 08:09

That was an excellent example of 18 songs that any band would have been overjoyed if they had managed to write one single good song that these are examples of...

'Shine your light, move it on, you burn so bright, roll on John....'
Dylan

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 15, 2013 08:17

....Go Johnny Go ....

ROCKMAN

Date: October 15, 2013 08:57

24FPS
Silly Love Songs? You're kidding. What a piece of junk.

No, I'm not actually. It's a stellar, brilliantly crafted pop song with impeccable bass lines. Plus it's an instance where Linda actually sounds good and helps add to the character of a song along with Denny Laine on the backing vocals, whose "answer" lyrics help make the song.

Here, maybe you'd like the R&B version better.

Date: October 15, 2013 09:21

So this went to Lennon vs McCartney..smiling smiley

I guess you can dig 'Silly Love Songs'....I prefer songs like 'Well Well Well' everytime...smileys with beer

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 15, 2013 09:32

John Lennon is the wet dream of any "List of # best/worst ever &*%$#'s" freaks. An extremely assertive person: Lennon and his opinions were like Keith Moon to Drumming and Hendrix to guitar showmanship: all 3 were great in doing that - the best as far as it goes for giving a show. All 3 died in young age just as they were starting their way down so as sad as their premature tragic death was: in some way, and remember we all die once (no more, no less), his tragic death came just in time as far as the legendary JL goes. I bet that had he grown old he would have made Macca look like the good one.

Anyway: 5-6 of these songs are crap but you do not have to be Lennon to know that. The rest are actually quite good.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-15 09:35 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 15, 2013 10:05

More Hot Rocks

Junk? Lennons first solo album is regarded as one of the best albums ever recorded. It is without a doubt the best solo Beatle album. It's highly influential.

Date: October 15, 2013 13:06

There are actually more than 18 songs. If you'll look closely, in the Let It Be movie John yawns twice while playing bass on Long And Winding Road....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 15, 2013 14:40

I can agree with Lennon on a few of those selections, but some baffle me: Yest It Is, Ladmbery Madonna, Birthday... the latter is such a rocking number. I love the driven guitar sound. A Taste Of Honey is godawful, though. Sticks-out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of the terrific Please Please Me LP.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2013 15:40

I tend to love about 98 percent of the Beatles output (similar number for the Stones). Many great songs, lots of very good ones, and a few losers (Ob La Di, etc.)

Solo-wise, I enjoyed Paul and Ringo's (!) output more than John or George's - although they had lots of good stuff, too.

I tend to like the Stones much more than their solo stuff, too - duh!

Date: October 15, 2013 16:05

stonehearted
Lennon also commented later on that he wanted to re-record every song The Beatles had ever made

Lots of creative people feel that way about their work. They look at it in an inverse sort of way. They see and hear everything that's wrong with it, and think of how they could have done it better.

Date: October 15, 2013 16:07

More Hot Rocks

That's because by the time he started making solo records, he had already peaked creatively. Paul, too.

Date: October 15, 2013 16:12

slew
Gee Lennon picked those and left Revolution 9 off the list. That is pure CRAP!

Funny how he said that "Let It Be" had nothing to do with the Beatles. Revolution 9 really had nothing to do with the Beatles!

Date: October 15, 2013 16:19

Redhotcarpet
More Hot Rocks

Junk? Lennons first solo album is regarded as one of the best albums ever recorded. It is without a doubt the best solo Beatle album. It's highly influential.

To me, it's always been one of those albums you're supposed to like because everyone says you're supposed to like it. It probably really is the best solo album ever released by an ex-Beatle, but that doesn't say much for the solo work of any of them.

Date: October 15, 2013 16:27

mmm and McCartney's 'London Town' or Harrison's 'Extra Texture must be examples of the worst ones...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 15, 2013 16:42

Did he list the Yoko songs he hated? Maybe not enough time or space......

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1721
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home