Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Don Was on producing the Stones
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 23, 2013 18:37

From an interview with Yahoo! Music's Craig Rosen, published October 22:

Don Was on Producing the Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan

Photo: Michael Bezjian

And then of course, there's the Rolling Stones, who Was has worked with since 1994's Voodoo Lounge. "It's great working with the Rolling Stones," he says. "It's not hard. It's a thrill and they really are the greatest band in the world. When you hear them play in a room, it's f**king incredible. There's this chemistry thing that happens. I was fortunate to have played bass with them on a number of occasions and the level of communication that goes on in the band is really deep. They're very much like a jazz group with a different groove underneath. It's really fulfilling to be in the studio with them."

Aside from producing new material such as 1997's Bridges to Babylon and 2005's A Bigger Bang, Was also had the task of going through the vaults and unearthing demos for inclusion on the reissues of the Stones' classics Exile on Main St. and Some Girls as bonus tracks.

"I saw them for the first time in 1964," he says, "so as a Stones fan, it was a real thrill for me to go through these things." It turned out to be quite an arduous task. The two-inch tapes and four-tracks had all been transferred to hard drives, "but they weren't particularly well marked, so it was a bit of a surprise. You just didn't know what you were going to find. There were some jaw-dropping things that came up."

Under the guidance of Was, the Stones engaged in the somewhat controversial practice of finishing songs they started decades ago, but never properly released. "They were enthusiastic about it," Was explained. "Everybody agreed [we should try] to preserve the integrity of what they did, but it was also an interesting experiment to go back and finish something about 40 years old. No one had ever done that, as far as I know, and we tried to tread very lightly, not redo anything, just finish it off."

During the process, especially while working on the Some Girls-era material, Was was impressed by Mick Jagger's memory. "There were songs where there wasn't a vocal and Mick remembered how the song went," Was says. "He remembered it. He just never got around to singing it. He hadn't forgotten what the lyrics were."

As for the future, Was says, "I don't think they ever stopped being the Rolling Stones. They love being the Rolling Stones. It's not like it's something they have to work to go back to doing. They like doing it a lot. I think they enjoyed this last tour a lot and it was pretty evident if you were in the audience watching them. I don't see any reason why they should stop, but you have to ask them what their plans are."

Full interview: [music.yahoo.com]

Re: Don Was on producing the Stones
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 23, 2013 18:55

The cynic in me suspects he's hoping to work with them again ;^)

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 23, 2013 18:59

bye bye johnny
" it was also an interesting experiment to go back and finish something about 40 years old. No one had ever done that, as far as I know"

Hmmm... Isn't "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" just that? Ok, not 40 years old, and not that I care, but still...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:12

bye bye johnny

And then of course, there's the Rolling Stones, who Was has worked with since 1994's Voodoo Lounge. "It's great working with the Rolling Stones," he says. "It's not hard. It's a thrill and they really are the greatest band in the world. When you hear them play in a room, it's f**king incredible. There's this chemistry thing that happens. I was fortunate to have played bass with them on a number of occasions and the level of communication that goes on in the band is really deep. They're very much like a jazz group with a different groove underneath. It's really fulfilling to be in the studio with them."

Aside from producing new material such as 1997's Bridges to Babylon and 2005's A Bigger Bang, Was also had the task of going through the vaults and unearthing demos for inclusion on the reissues of the Stones' classics Exile on Main St. and Some Girls as bonus tracks.

"I saw them for the first time in 1964," he says, "so as a Stones fan, it was a real thrill for me to go through these things." It turned out to be quite an arduous task. The two-inch tapes and four-tracks had all been transferred to hard drives, "but they weren't particularly well marked, so it was a bit of a surprise. You just didn't know what you were going to find. There were some jaw-dropping things that came up."

Under the guidance of Was, the Stones engaged in the somewhat controversial practice of finishing songs they started decades ago, but never properly released. "They were enthusiastic about it," Was explained. "Everybody agreed [we should try] to preserve the integrity of what they did, but it was also an interesting experiment to go back and finish something about 40 years old. No one had ever done that, as far as I know, and we tried to tread very lightly, not redo anything, just finish it off."

During the process, especially while working on the Some Girls-era material, Was was impressed by Mick Jagger's memory. "There were songs where there wasn't a vocal and Mick remembered how the song went," Was says. "He remembered it. He just never got around to singing it. He hadn't forgotten what the lyrics were."

As for the future, Was says, "I don't think they ever stopped being the Rolling Stones. They love being the Rolling Stones. It's not like it's something they have to work to go back to doing. They like doing it a lot. I think they enjoyed this last tour a lot and it was pretty evident if you were in the audience watching them. I don't see any reason why they should stop, but you have to ask them what their plans are."

that's pretty cool what don was said "they are very much like a jazz group with a different groove underneath" . the time i got to check out a stones sound check (pretty awesome ) the stones warmed up on a jazz shuffle , i remember being blown away that the greatest rock and roll band in the world was playing a jazz shuffle .

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:22

RobberBride
Hmmm... Isn't "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" just that? Ok, not 40 years old, and not that I care, but still...

I'm guessing the time span was exactly what he was talking about, not that they were the first to finish an old song, he only needs to look as far as the Stones and Tattoo You to find an example of that. Free As A Bird was finished 17 years later, Real Love 15 years later. 40 years is a bit different. Also, those songs the remaining Beatles went and finished weren't theirs, they were John's. So it's a different situation, they weren't finishing something they started years later. There may be such an example out there, I'm betting somebody has done it, I'm sure that's why he said "as far as I know".

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:26

NoCode0680
RobberBride

I'm guessing the time span was exactly what he was talking about, not that they were the first to finish an old song, he only needs to look as far as the Stones and Tattoo You to find an example of that. Free As A Bird was finished 17 years later, Real Love 15 years later. 40 years is a bit different. Also, those songs the remaining Beatles went and finished weren't theirs, they were John's. So it's a different situation, they weren't finishing something they started years later. There may be such an example out there, I'm betting somebody has done it, I'm sure that's why he said "as far as I know".

Yep, I can see that smiling smiley

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:28

Spud
The cynic in me suspects he's hoping to work with them again ;^)

The realistic in me suspects that Don Was would be perfect choice to work with them again - evidence: fantastic Doom And Gloom, and decent Bigger Bang album.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:29

And this is the same Mick Jagger we're supposed to believe doesn't remember the what songs were on what albums.

Date: October 23, 2013 19:36

Just out of curiosity, is Don payed a salary or retainer fee or something? It just seems like The Stones are his full-time job, and then he can do other stuff when they don't need him. They use him enough that I had kind of assumed this was the case, but I don't know.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:45

Was is president of Blue Note Records, and has produced numerous artists besides the Stones.

Might the Stones take precedent over other artists? Perhaps.

Full time job? No.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 19:46

treaclefingers

And this is the same Mick Jagger we're supposed to believe doesn't remember the what songs were on what albums.

Could it be that he as a music maker somehow remembers the songs, and doing them, but not the context of them so well (when this and that happened and into which album that and that song ended up)?

But most likely Jagger has a very selective memory, at least as far as interviews are concerned...

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2013 20:06

bye bye johnny
Was is president of Blue Note Records, and has produced numerous artists besides the Stones.

Full time job? No.

I'm aware that he doesn't exclusively produce The Stones, I listen to a few other bands he's produced over the years. "Taking precedent over other artists" was essentially what I meant, though maybe I worded it wrong. And I just wonder, since they like him a lot, if they've worked out a deal that he be their guy whenever they decide to record something. Like Daryl, who gets (at least how I understand it) a salary/retainer and can go play with other bands when they don't need him, but when it's time for The Stones to do something, he gets his ass back.

Date: October 23, 2013 20:06

He is faking on stage when he supposedly doesn't remember which album Let It Bleed was on, no doubt about that smiling smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2013 20:25

DandelionPowderman
He is faking on stage when he supposedly doesn't remember which album Let It Bleed was on, no doubt about that smiling smiley

>grinning smiley<

It would be interesting to see how many he would get right if we would ask on which albums the following tracks are from: "Let It Bleed", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" and "Dirty Work"...

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2013 20:29

Doxa
It would be interesting to see how many he would get right if we would ask on which albums the following tracks are from: "Let It Bleed", "It's Only Rock'n'Roll" and "Dirty Work"...

He'd probably say they're all on the next compilation album.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 23, 2013 20:42

NoCode0680
Doxa

He'd probably say they're all on the next compilation album.

"Not remembering" which album songs are on is a long-standing part of Mick's stage patter. He probably does remember a lot more than he pretends to, but the real answer is that it just isn't something that's important to him.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2013 21:09

NoCode0680
RobberBride

Also those two songs were recorded on a mono cassette...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 23, 2013 21:11

DandelionPowderman

I loved it when he said his favorite track is Black And Blue...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 21:11 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 23, 2013 21:33

NoCode0680
bye bye johnny

Full time job? No.

I'm aware that he doesn't exclusively produce The Stones, I listen to a few other bands he's produced over the years. "Taking precedent over other artists" was essentially what I meant, though maybe I worded it wrong. And I just wonder, since they like him a lot, if they've worked out a deal that he be their guy whenever they decide to record something. Like Daryl, who gets (at least how I understand it) a salary/retainer and can go play with other bands when they don't need him, but when it's time for The Stones to do something, he gets his ass back.

you did word it wrong, you meant taking "precedence" over other jobs, which may well be the case, but it's not like dropping everything to work on a new Stones project has cut into his time too much over the past decade or so. And it's not like Darryl; Was is and was a huge producer onhis own and would be just as big in the music world without the Stones.

Date: October 23, 2013 21:54

Rokyfan
NoCode0680
bye bye johnny

Full time job? No.

you did word it wrong, you meant taking "precedence" over other jobs, which may well be the case, but it's not like dropping everything to work on a new Stones project has cut into his time too much over the past decade or so. And it's not like Darryl; Was is and was a huge producer onhis own and would be just as big in the music world without the Stones.

I just copied and pasted precedent from the quote from the message I was replying to. The rest I agree, I wasn't saying it was the exact same thing as Darryl, just an example of them wanting somebody they like to be available for them, when and if they record, tour or whatever. And people don't have to keep telling me Don has produced other artists, I'm well aware.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-23 21:55 by NoCode0680.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:04

Great, thanks for posting!

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:06

treaclefingers

He's said he hates talking about the past, so I suspect poor memory is his excuse to avoid doing it.

I'm pretty sure there's a Rolling Stone interview where he cuts off a line of questioning with something like "You're not going to make me talk about Swinging London, are you?"

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:07

>>
I just copied and pasted precedent from the quote from the message I was replying to.
>>

You're right, I missed that. Sorry, I am a grammar nut.

Date: October 23, 2013 23:11

blivet
treaclefingers

He's said he hates talking about the past, so I suspect poor memory is his excuse to avoid doing it.

I'm pretty sure there's a Rolling Stone interview where he cuts off a line of questioning with something like "You're not going to make me talk about Swinging London, are you?"

Totally agree with you...there was a discussion a while ago on whether Mick was actually forgetting what songs were on what albums. I believe he's a bit too sharp, and maybe not old enough to be forgetting quite yet.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:17

They love being the Rolling Stones

......Enough said ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:21

Interesting but it doesn't look like there are any plans for anything at this point...sucks...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:34

gotdablouse
Interesting but it doesn't look like there are any plans for anything at this point...sucks...

Don Was would know better than to mention it, even if there were plans.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 23, 2013 23:56

treaclefingers

With one eye on the intentional ambiguity with regards to what was old and what was new on Plundered My Soul, I think the above is more a case of Mr Was trying to fool us by giving the old tracks with new vocals more authenticity.

Like they were meant to be as they are now, but Mick just never got around to singing it on tape at the time.

One cannot help, but roll ones eyes. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: October 24, 2013 00:21

bye bye johnny

He was a disaster. Please..not again!

Date: October 24, 2013 01:02

michaelsavage
bye bye johnny

He was a disaster. Please..not again!

He did put together the Some Girls Deluxe set which was excellent.

Maybe we put far too much blame on him, and not enough on Mick and Keith?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home