Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blues guitarist Ana Popovic covers Rain Fall Down
Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 8, 2013 11:33

I saw her yesterday in Dortmund, she played this cover, too. Here a version from an earlier gig. She elaborates the structure of a blues tune, I think, which is buried by the silly arrangement of the original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-08 11:34 by RobertJohnson.

Re: Blues guitarist Ana Popovic covers Rain Fall Down
Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: July 8, 2013 11:47

In the 60s the Stones made better versions of someone else's songs, now somebody else makes better versions of their current songs, I think there are many good ideas in the stones songs 89- but many songs sound like half-ready, good A-part with bad B-part or bad A-part with good B-part, or the arrangements are weird or Jagger's singing is half-serious or the overall production is not soulful, always something missing or wrong, not a single "perfect" song, except maybe Anybody Seen My Baby (at least 90% perfect) which then again was not a really original Stones song at all.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:09

Wow. That's the first time I ever see someone cover a 89- Stones song. (Besides one or two Doom & Gloom covers)
Great.

BTW The original RFD is a terrific song. I like it when Jagger tries something different within The Stones.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:55

She's great; a Serbian blues guitarist and singer, based in the Netherlands.

There's a lot of good music coming from that part of the world: check out Trijntje Oosterhuis, and her jazzy versions of Bacharach tunes. Also De Dijk hail from the Netherlands, and they backed Solomon Burke on his last album, Hold On Tight.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 8, 2013 12:59

By the way, Rain Fall Down is on an album by Ana entitled Can You Stand The Heat.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2013 17:46

It's almost interesting - mainly that someone would even bother. So many other good Stones songs - that aren't warhorses - that could be done that would be considerably more interesting, even rearranged.

Ana Popovic-Rain Fall Down
Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 22, 2013 14:33

She's one of the best female guitar players...

Re: Ana Popovic-Rain Fall Down
Posted by: JJackFl ()
Date: July 22, 2013 16:33

And very nice woman,too.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: July 22, 2013 16:57

This shows that many post 83 Stones songs have a great potential, which is underestimated by the band.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 22, 2013 17:39

I am not crazy about this type of guitar playing.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2013 19:01

MartinB

It goes with the song. You have to play with what fits the song. That's what makes a good song great. Not the what I wanna play mentality.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: July 22, 2013 21:06

good Version, but I thought it was great life during ABB and they did great on this song

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: July 22, 2013 22:10

More Hot Rocks
MartinB

It goes with the song. You have to play with what fits the song. That's what makes a good song great. Not the what I wanna play mentality.

I agree, You have to play with what fits the song and she should know better - this is a great example of complete talentless moron finding a guitar and destroying a decent song - this sucks big time !!
She butchering and destroying a perfect song with that horrible guitar playing of hers.

She lacks talent, grace and sense of style - absolutely horrible, the worst Stones cover version in years, I would rather listen to my dentist drilling my teeth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-22 22:19 by seitan.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 22, 2013 22:34

seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB

I agree, You have to play with what fits the song and she should know better - this is a great example of complete talentless moron finding a guitar and destroying a decent song - this sucks big time !!
She butchering and destroying a perfect song with that horrible guitar playing of hers.

She lacks talent, grace and sense of style - absolutely horrible, the worst Stones cover version in years, I would rather listen to my dentist drilling my teeth.

Sorry dude, it's ok to not like her music or playing style, but for you to call her talentless proves you are just straight up retarded.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2013 23:14

I don't get people sometimes. Popovic sucks and Kurt Cobain is a guitar God. Can't take it sometimes. People listen with there eyes. That's the problem.

Date: July 22, 2013 23:52

More Hot Rocks
I don't get people sometimes. Popovic sucks and Kurt Cobain is a guitar God. Can't take it sometimes. People listen with there eyes. That's the problem.

To compare those two: Cobain played rock n roll music for young people who wanted to rock and Popvic plays radiofriendly crap for people who want to masturbate in their local music stores with their instruments, Cobain was a songwriter and he will be remembered..and Popvic is already forgotten - she belongs to a karaoke bar playing cover songs .....Cobain was a musician and Miss Poop belongs to a cover band playing cover versions of songs that real songwriters write...

Date: July 22, 2013 23:53

jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB

Sorry dude, it's ok to not like her music or playing style, but for you to call her talentless proves you are just straight up retarded.

If she had talent - she wouldnt be playing covers. She´d be writing her own songs- but she lacks talent to write a decent song, so she's doing Stones cover instead..and failing badly. So no - sorry, she needs to prove herself before she can step outside of the cover band karaoke bar situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 00:04 by seitan.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:16

seitan
jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB

If she had talent - she wouldnt be playing covers. She´d be writing her own songs- but she lacks talent to write a decent song, so she's doing Stones cover instead..and failing badly. So no - sorry, she needs to prove herself before she can step outside of the cover band karaoke bar situation.

So you need to be a songwriter to be a talented guitarist ?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:18

Better than the original.........as are most covers from Stones songs released the last 20 years

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 23, 2013 00:29

seitan
I would rather listen to my dentist drilling my teeth.

Oh yes, I would love to listen to that too ... I might even would want to take pictures ... that is if you permit smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 23, 2013 00:38

Gagi, ovi ništa ne kapiraju, a ni neznaju ko je Ana. Nevredi....

Date: July 23, 2013 00:51

JJackFl

smileys with beer Cheers to you too mate

-------------------

Date: July 23, 2013 01:01

: Rolling Hansie
Cheers to you too mate

Cheers to you!

Date: July 23, 2013 01:05

JJackFl
Cheers to you!

Thanks, now will you please translate into English what you posted, because I really have no idea smiling smiley

-------------------

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: July 23, 2013 09:28

JJackFl

Izgleda..A Ana przi bolje od nekih muskaraca...

Date: July 23, 2013 12:00

gagi
Izgleda..A Ana przi bolje od nekih muskaraca...

Odlazk u inostranstvo joj je prijao. Sad je potpuno zrela...a i izgleda bolje nego ikad.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: July 23, 2013 12:08

seitan
jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB

Many great and talented musicians are not good songwriters.
Charlie watts and mick Taylor for example

Date: July 23, 2013 13:49

sonomastone
seitan
jazzbass
seitan
More Hot Rocks
MartinB

Many great and talented musicians are not good songwriters.
Charlie watts and mick Taylor for example

Yeah, Charlie is as talented guitarist as Popovich.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 23, 2013 17:58

Wow! Apparently seitan's not a fan of the first few Stones albums. Hopefully he/she's able to get around the fact that Keith is still lifting licks from Chuck Berry all these years later. Question for you seitan: is "Rain Fall Down" a decent song or a perfect song? You refer to it as both. I'd agree with decent but perfect? Really? 400+ tunes in the Stones catalog and you label that one a perfect song? I may be starting to understand how your taste toward's Ana is so skewed.

FWIW: Ana's written or co-written 75%+ of the songs on her last 4 studio albums, RFD is just one of three covers on her latest album. In my opinion, when I first heard her cut on RFD, although I thought it cool that she was covering the Stones and gave her kudos for finding her own take on the tune (as opposed to just trying to remake the Stones version), my reaction to her take was much the same as when I heard the Stones version... C+/B- Nothing all that special in either version of the song & I don't consider the song itself much more than "decent" to use seitan's term. Definately not a perfect Stones tune in my opinion.

Personally, I'm a fan of Ana's. I've enjoyed her & her music ever since "Nothing Personal" jumped out of my stereo's speakers. Haven't gone back and picked up all of her catalog but the one's I have are all solid albums. The older one's do seem to be more raw while the newer one's are more polished/commercial. Pretty good stuff that my ears enjoy listening to anyway!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: July 23, 2013 18:00

I don't know if the Stones' original is a "silly arrangement" (original post). How is it "silly"? This version is not bad, but it's a fairly generic modern blues / funk fusion in arrangement, whereas the original is a little more unique, spacious and funky. That's because of the special chemistry that the members of the Stones bring to their own version of "the groove" on such tunes. She's a fantastic guitar player though for sure (if again somewhat generic) - but that does not make the arrangement better than the original.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home