Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Oh No Not Them Again! - The warm up band thread
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 4, 2013 09:42

Bands (or Rock artists) you've seen as warm up bands or opening acts way too many times. For me they include:

Georgia Satellites
Sweathog
Lee Michaels
Billy Squire
Buddy Miles

...I guess mainly had an issue with this in the 70's and 80's.

Who's on your list?

Re: OT: Oh No Not Them Again! - The warm up band thread
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 4, 2013 09:49

My issue was more in the 60s and early 70s, and it wasn't so much that I didn't like them, as that every gig I went to--indoor, outdoor, festival (free or otherwise)--certain bands would ALWAYS be on the bill. Quintessence were the quintessence of that phenomenon, but also the Edgar Broughton Band, Coliseum, the Third Ear Band, even King Crimson (and I really liked them) for a while there. Gets a bit predictable after a while. I could come up with a whole bunch of others.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 4, 2013 12:19

I tend to skip warm up acts if they don't interest me. I'll usually give them a chance if I don't know anything about them. There have been some gems over the years. & definitely some dogs!

Date: October 4, 2013 12:58

I'd have given a lot to see King Crimson, Aquamarine! Lucky you thumbs up

Date: October 4, 2013 13:09

I saw King Crimson on the "Discipline" tour in a small club in Seattle. An amazing show. There was a big storm that night & the roof was leaking causing almost a waterful that was hitting the stage about 5 feet from Fripp & all his electronics. He kept looking up at it. Talk about an intense show. Adrian Belew was out of this world. A little later on my first trip to NYC, Fripp & the League of Crafty Guitarists were playing in a church from the 1800s. Went to venue during the day to buy a ticket & who should walk out but Mr. Fripp. Got to talk to him for a bit. Disclaimer: this was younger, wilder days & the statute of limitations is up. After talking to Linda Sue Dixon winking smiley came back that evening for the show. That was a pretty amazing show too. Haha. We were walking & giggling down the street after the show & literally ran into Mayor Koch as he was leaving a restaurant. Didn't knock him down but close. He (& his bodyguards!) were cool about it, as apologies were issued immediately. Good times!smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 17:25 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 4, 2013 17:04

Saw the New York Dolls as the warm up band for Savoy Brown at Massey Hall in Toronto. Interesting! Have to admit I liked Savoy Brown a whole lot better. My daughter and son in law have a new found respect for me now that they know I've seen The New York Dolls!

Date: October 4, 2013 17:24

crholmstrom
I saw King Crimson on the "Discipline" tour in a small club in Seattle. An amazing show. There was a big storm that night & the roof was leaking causing almost a waterful that was hitting the stage about 5 feet from Fripp & all his electronics. He kept looking up at it. Talk about an intense show. Adrian Belew was out of this world. A little later on my first trip to NYC, Fripp & the League of Craft Guitarists were playing in a church from the 1800s. Went to venue during the day to buy a ticket & who should walk out but Mr. Fripp. Got to talk to him for a bit. Disclaimer: this was younger, wilder days & the statute of limitations is up. After talking to Linda Sue Dixon winking smiley came back that evening for the show. That was a pretty amazing show too. Haha. We were walking & giggling down the street after the show & literally ran into Mayor Koch as he was leaving a restaurant. Didn't knock him down but close. He (& his bodyguards!) were cool about it, as apologies were issued immediately. Good times!smoking smiley

Ha ha, cool story, Chuck! thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 4, 2013 22:26

I could not escape Alice Cooper as a warm up act in the early 70s. That whole phoney baloney Halloween act bored me, as did his music. (Except for the classic 'Eighteen'.)I was a little surprised when he made it big, but then again I didn't think the Spice Girls would go over in America.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 4, 2013 22:35

Iggy Pop opening for the Pretenders. Damn that was a mismatch, and I like the Pretenders.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 4, 2013 22:46

treaclefingers
Iggy Pop opening for the Pretenders. Damn that was a mismatch, and I like the Pretenders.

Yup, saw that at the L.A. Sports Arena in '87. During the Pretenders set, Chrissie kissed the stage because Iggy had walked upon it!

Date: October 4, 2013 22:47

Jah Paul
treaclefingers

Yup, saw that at the L.A. Sports Arena in '87. During the Pretenders set, Chrissie kissed the stage because Iggy had walked upon it!

I guess that was her schtick during the tour...she did the exact same thing in Vancouver.

Date: October 4, 2013 22:51

treaclefingers
Jah Paul
treaclefingers

I guess that was her schtick during the tour...she did the exact same thing in Vancouver.
She did same thing when she opened for Neil Young.

Date: October 4, 2013 22:56

crholmstrom
treaclefingers
Jah Paul
treaclefingers

She did same thing when she opened for Neil Young.

She really needs to get someone to write material for her.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 4, 2013 23:25

DandelionPowderman
I'd have given a lot to see King Crimson, Aquamarine! Lucky you thumbs up

I know, and they were always really great (I enjoyed them much better live than the albums, in fact)--it was just that they seemed to be everywhere!

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 4, 2013 23:33

24FPS
I could not escape Alice Cooper as a warm up act in the early 70s. That whole phoney baloney Halloween act bored me, as did his music. (Except for the classic 'Eighteen'.)I was a little surprised when he made it big, but then again I didn't think the Spice Girls would go over in America.

Wait a minute...are you the guy that always posts this story about seeing Cooper and how lame you thought he was . You are entitled to your opinion, but you should realise he has a vast catalogue and some of us love his music and his stage show. Nothing against you expressing an opinion, but it just seems you lie in wait to criticise Alice Cooper

Date: October 5, 2013 07:24

letitloose
24FPS

Wait a minute...are you the guy that always posts this story about seeing Cooper and how lame you thought he was . You are entitled to your opinion, but you should realise he has a vast catalogue and some of us love his music and his stage show. Nothing against you expressing an opinion, but it just seems you lie in wait to criticise Alice Cooper

Hey, you have to walk a mile in my Adidas. I was haunted by this mother and his act. You want to see Duane Allman and the Allman Brothers Band and you have to wait through Alice Cooper to do it. I like a few of his songs, but I always felt it was shtick, that he wasn't a real rock and roller. Look, it's just an opinion. I wanted to see Johnny Winter bust some blues, not Alice cut off a rubber head with a guillotine. I love I'm Eighteen and maybe Billion Dollar Babies.

I don't lay in wait for Alice Cooper mentions, or the Grateful Dead, who I like even less. We're all just popping off here, trying to get a rise out of people. Let's face it, things are pretty quiet on the Stones front. smileys with beer

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: October 5, 2013 16:37

OK fair play? I guess I'm just jealous that you got to see the original Coop band and dispirited that you didn't enjoy it.

best support bands I have seen - Black Crowes (Dogs d'amour 1989?), and Cheap trick (Mötley Crüe 1985)

Date: October 6, 2013 00:20

letitloose
OK fair play? I guess I'm just jealous that you got to see the original Coop band and dispirited that you didn't enjoy it.

best support bands I have seen - Black Crowes (Dogs d'amour 1989?), and Cheap trick (Mötley Crüe 1985)

Spirit is another band that seemed to do a lot of open act slots at the time. They're kind of forgotten today but they were good.

Date: October 6, 2013 00:23

alice cooper is no more a phoney rocker then a band from england doing a country song

Date: October 6, 2013 07:52

keefriffhard4life
alice cooper is no more a phoney rocker then a band from england doing a country song

Oh no, I've offended another Alice fan. Sorry. But, come on, he went through a real schmaltzy pop period with Schools Out and a couple others. The point of this is about warm up bands that bugged you. I saw Creedence Clearwater Revival open up for the Turtles in a small venue, and I had to get up and go outside for a while because John Fogerty's guitar was too loud for me. That's what a teenybopper punk I was at the time.

I saw Alice as going back to the Little Richard rock and roll tradition of feminizing. See Jagger, Bowie, Prince.... I guess because he came on so strong as an obvious act that it was hard to take him seriously. Like I've said, I like a couple of his songs.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: October 6, 2013 09:57

KatieGirl
Saw the New York Dolls as the warm up band for Savoy Brown at Massey Hall in Toronto. Interesting! Have to admit I liked Savoy Brown a whole lot better. My daughter and son in law have a new found respect for me now that they know I've seen The New York Dolls!

So cool!!! I love the New York DOlls.
If you remember, how was Johnny Thunders that night? How did the band play overall?winking smiley

Date: October 6, 2013 12:27

24FPS
keefriffhard4life

Oh no, I've offended another Alice fan. Sorry. But, come on, he went through a real schmaltzy pop period with Schools Out and a couple others. The point of this is about warm up bands that bugged you. I saw Creedence Clearwater Revival open up for the Turtles in a small venue, and I had to get up and go outside for a while because John Fogerty's guitar was too loud for me. That's what a teenybopper punk I was at the time.

I saw Alice as going back to the Little Richard rock and roll tradition of feminizing. See Jagger, Bowie, Prince.... I guess because he came on so strong as an obvious act that it was hard to take him seriously. Like I've said, I like a couple of his songs.

i think you have just about no clue what you are talking about

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 6, 2013 15:23

MingSubu
KatieGirl

So cool!!! I love the New York DOlls.
If you remember, how was Johnny Thunders that night? How did the band play overall?winking smiley
They played really well but the audience wasn't into them as they were there to see Savoy Brown. The Dolls were disappointed, closing comment was a sarcastic" Thanks Toronto, it's been a real gas"

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 6, 2013 15:54

Black Crowes for ZZ Top, Lynyrd Skynyrd for Bad Co., Bob Dylan for Paul Simon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-06 16:07 by shadooby.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 6, 2013 16:49

If I never find Starsailor on the lineup again I won't be heartbroken. (didn't I hear somewhere that Ronnie was into them? Can't imagine why.) Not actually terrible - just sort of characterless.

Date: October 6, 2013 17:00

Green Lady
If I never find Starsailor on the lineup again I won't be heartbroken. (didn't I hear somewhere that Ronnie was into them? Can't imagine why.) Not actually terrible - just sort of characterless.
Starsailor! Wow! I hadn't thought of them in decades. Justifiably so...hahaha.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 6, 2013 18:16

Van Morrison and Joni Mitchell for Bob Dylan.

Date: October 6, 2013 19:23

keefriffhard4life
24FPS
keefriffhard4life

I don't think you understand the reality of Alice Cooper's career. I'm assuming you were there to see him live on the way up, like I was. I'm assuming you witnessed his rise from FM radio with rockers like 'I'm Eighteen', over to AM radio with radio friendly pap like 'School's Out' and 'Elected'.

You do understand that VINCENT FURNIER took on the stage name Alice Cooper, and had him and his bandmates dress like women to get attention, right? Before that they were a run of the mill rock band. So I guess you know all this and witnessed all this. Or maybe I'm not the one who doesn't have 'just about no clue' what they're talking about.

Date: October 6, 2013 19:51

24FPS
keefriffhard4life
24FPS
keefriffhard4life

I don't think you understand the reality of Alice Cooper's career. I'm assuming you were there to see him live on the way up, like I was. I'm assuming you witnessed his rise from FM radio with rockers like 'I'm Eighteen', over to AM radio with radio friendly pap like 'School's Out' and 'Elected'.

You do understand that VINCENT FURNIER took on the stage name Alice Cooper, and had him and his bandmates dress like women to get attention, right? Before that they were a run of the mill rock band. So I guess you know all this and witnessed all this. Or maybe I'm not the one who doesn't have 'just about no clue' what they're talking about.

vincent furnier didn't take the name alice cooper until after the band was started. originally it was just a band name. they were part of the glam rock movement were a lot of the bands wore drag. sorry the band evolved and changed their sound once they got themselves going. i had no clue in 1978 the rolling stones were still releasing songs that sounded like "tell me" and "heart of stone". "schools out" sounds as much like a rock song as "i'm eighteen". your so hip to the bands career then you should know what you know as "i'm eighteen" is actually just an arrangement by producer bob ezrin to get the song to the point to be on the radio. thats not even how the band performed it when they first wrote it so you could say thats radio friendly pap too

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 6, 2013 22:32

In 94 when the Spin Doctors opened for the Stones, saw both shows in Vancouver. They had a couple hits that were played on the radio alot but they looked so lost playing on a massive stadium stage.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home