Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Oh No Not Them Again! - The warm up band thread
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 7, 2013 06:20

DGA35
In 94 when the Spin Doctors opened for the Stones, saw both shows in Vancouver. They had a couple hits that were played on the radio alot but they looked so lost playing on a massive stadium stage.

I saw them on the second night!

Wasn't the first night Keith's birthday? I had to go to a Christmas party the first night...couldn't get out of it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 7, 2013 07:02

keefriffhard4life
24FPS
keefriffhard4life
24FPS
keefriffhard4life
alice cooper is no more a phoney rocker then a band from england doing a country song

Oh no, I've offended another Alice fan. Sorry. But, come on, he went through a real schmaltzy pop period with Schools Out and a couple others. The point of this is about warm up bands that bugged you. I saw Creedence Clearwater Revival open up for the Turtles in a small venue, and I had to get up and go outside for a while because John Fogerty's guitar was too loud for me. That's what a teenybopper punk I was at the time.

I saw Alice as going back to the Little Richard rock and roll tradition of feminizing. See Jagger, Bowie, Prince.... I guess because he came on so strong as an obvious act that it was hard to take him seriously. Like I've said, I like a couple of his songs.

i think you have just about no clue what you are talking about

I don't think you understand the reality of Alice Cooper's career. I'm assuming you were there to see him live on the way up, like I was. I'm assuming you witnessed his rise from FM radio with rockers like 'I'm Eighteen', over to AM radio with radio friendly pap like 'School's Out' and 'Elected'.

You do understand that VINCENT FURNIER took on the stage name Alice Cooper, and had him and his bandmates dress like women to get attention, right? Before that they were a run of the mill rock band. So I guess you know all this and witnessed all this. Or maybe I'm not the one who doesn't have 'just about no clue' what they're talking about.

vincent furnier didn't take the name alice cooper until after the band was started. originally it was just a band name. they were part of the glam rock movement were a lot of the bands wore drag. sorry the band evolved and changed their sound once they got themselves going. i had no clue in 1978 the rolling stones were still releasing songs that sounded like "tell me" and "heart of stone". "schools out" sounds as much like a rock song as "i'm eighteen". your so hip to the bands career then you should know what you know as "i'm eighteen" is actually just an arrangement by producer bob ezrin to get the song to the point to be on the radio. thats not even how the band performed it when they first wrote it so you could say thats radio friendly pap too

Sorry I'm not an Alice geek. 'I'm Eighteen' is a true teenage angst song with some depth to it. It wasn't played on AM radio in America alongside Cher's 'Halfbreed', like 'School's Out' was. Yes, the band Alice Cooper dressed in drag, as a gimmick. Alice Cooper has always been based on a gimmick, whether it was dressing in drag, or perpetual Halloweenapalooza. Alice Cooper is supposed to shock people, but I don't know anyone that gullible. I'm not sure what his place should be in the history of rock and roll. It's not like he was the father of heavy metal, or the first flamboyant rocker, or any of that. No one confused Alice Cooper with the kind of rockers that truly horrified adults, like the Rolling Stones.

Alice Cooper was entertaining, like the kind of safe rocker who appeared on The Muppets Show, or Hollywood Squares. I'm surprised they never tried a hokey Munsters type sitcom with him as the dad. Like the Monkees in horror drag.

Date: October 7, 2013 10:14

you think alice never truly horrified adults? drinking smiley

maybe you should go find an early performance of "black juju" or "ballad of dwight frye" or "killer".

please stop talking out of your ass and making yourself appear foolish.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home