Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Early Tina Turner
Posted by: LunaMorphine ()
Date: February 11, 2011 13:12

What are the best Tina Turner songs (before the 80s) ...?

Re: Early Tina Turner
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2011 13:40

There are 3 albums made between Ike & Tina Turner era and Private Dancer (1984), and they're no good...Go for the 60ies with Ike...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 11, 2011 13:53

This is possibly their greatest album. Just been reissued too.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:03

I'm Jealous
I Idolise You
A Fool In Love
I't Gonna Work Out Fine
Letter From Tina
River Deep, Mountain High (technically not Ike & Tina, but still amazing)
Ooh Poo Poo Pa Doo
Sweet Rhode Island Red
Sexy Ida
Nutbush City Limits
I Smell Trouble
Living For The City (Maybe surpasses Stevie's version?)
I've Been Loving You Too Long
Sweet Inspiration
Baby Get It On (Always thought Tina and Mick could do a great version of this)

Too many more to name. One of strongest live acts of their day. Visually and musically. Shame how it ended up with the music taking a back seat to drugs, abuse etc. but still a pretty good legacy.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:57

It's been all about those live shows.

Ike, Tina and the Ikettes live - just great!

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:04

iamthedj
I'm Jealous
I Idolise You
A Fool In Love
I't Gonna Work Out Fine
Letter From Tina
River Deep, Mountain High (technically not Ike & Tina, but still amazing)
Ooh Poo Poo Pa Doo
Sweet Rhode Island Red
Sexy Ida
Nutbush City Limits
I Smell Trouble
I've Been Loving You Too Long (Maybe surpasses Stevie's version?)
Sweet Inspiration
Baby Get It On (Always thought Tina and Mick could do a great version of this)

Too many more to name. One of strongest live acts of their day. Visually and musically. Shame how it ended up with the music taking a back seat to drugs, abuse etc. but still a pretty good legacy.

Great list! I'd add 'This Man's Crazy' (the closest Tina ever got too full-bloodied LIttle Richard-type rock 'n' roll), also her stunning version of 'A Love Like Yours' from the 'River Deep Mountain High' LP ('Save The Last Dance For Me' is worth a listen too).

I agree that her pre-Private Dancer solo albums aren't too hot.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:28

Don't forget Funkier than a Moskeeta's Tweeter (don't feel like looking up the spelling)

The lyrics make me laugh - they're not very good, but I still like the song.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:47

About half of this is pre-80's:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:49

I have only 1971 Live in Paris LP and it's good and dirty. :-)

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:50

basically Tina and Rod S. are two artist that were totally awesome & out of this world in the beginning but then played crap that's not only unlistenable, but also out of any ----

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: February 11, 2011 16:07

The best songs pre 80's? Anything she sings on with Ike. Seriously though, try out these compilation discs.

Proud Mary: The Best of Ike & Tina Turner Amazon Link

"The Soul Anthology" Amazon Link It's great because it's got many of their (lesser) hits on disc 1 and then disc 2 is LOADED with old blues covers.

I LOVE old Ike & Tina. There I times when I seriously find myself considering whether she or Arethea is the better singer. I've decided to try & quit asking myself that question as the answer really doesn't matter.

While searching Amazon, I noticed TONS of compilation discs (kind of like Ray Charles) & really can't say which one's best. I just know what I've got and how it works for me.

If anyone is an expert (or can make a knowledgeable recomendation), I would like to know if any of their live albums are superior to others.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: February 11, 2011 16:09

A great album, if you can find it, is the A&M "River Deep Mountain High". Phil Spector produced the album and title cut, and pretty much had called it the greatest pop song ever written and conceived. But while it has achieved cult status today, it did not sell so well. But the whole album is very very good. And while we all know the stories of Spector snubbing and phasing Ike Turner out of any kind of involvement with the title song, the Ike- man is in the thick of it on the rest of the album ; writing other hits like "A Fool For You", "I Idolize You". They were earlier singles by the duo that Spector made them re-cut for the album.
The band under Ike's leadership did of course perform "River Deep" in their live shows from then on, and IMO the live version, a lot more raw, riding on Ike's chicken-guitar licks might even be superior to studio.
There are acts however whose legend is built on their live show, and who were never quite realized in the studio. The IKe & Tina show being one; the NY Dolls another; the MC5 another.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2011 16:26

Turn your early Tina!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 11, 2011 22:09

BOLD SOUL SISTER is a great cd. It is a collection of Ike & Tina's best recordings for the Blue Thumb label, all from the late '60s. ITs extremely raw and bluesy. Ike is on fire on these recordings, and Tina is in top form too.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: February 11, 2011 22:55

Tina has always been my favourite!

I was kind of stunned when I heard "River deep ..." the first time and couldn't understand that it didn't make it in the USA ...

AFN was playing a lot of those girl group songs produced by Phli Spector (The crazy genius) from "to know him is to love him" on (where he sang even) ...

Then I saw her in Frankfurt in the late 80s with "Private Dancer" - unbelievable show ...

Posted by: sjef345 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 23:38

Ike & Tina, like Tina herself, are best live. Great live albums are Live in Paris 1971, Live at Carnegie Hall 1971 (album is called What You Hear Is What You Get). Great live dvd and cd is Live in Holland 1971, which can be bought here for example: [www.amazon.com]
One of the best Ike & Tina studio albums, besides the already mentioned River Deep, Mountain High and Working Together is the album The Hunter from 1969.
But don't miss out Tina solo too. Although her solo albums are usually a bit too pop and over-produced, Private Dancer (1984), Foreign Affair (1989) and Wildest Dreams (1996). But the best Tina is always live, so if you are interested in Tina, check out the dvd Live in Amsterdam 1996 or the live dvd/cd 'Tina Live' from her last tour in 2009, which also features Lisa Fischer and a Rolling Stones medley.
As you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a Tina fan myself. If you are interested in Tina, be sure to check out this blog, which I made with my friend, for rare audio, video, photos and news.
[tinaturnerblog.com]

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:23

Date: February 12, 2011 01:24

Date: February 12, 2011 01:28

Always loved Tina. My rock and roll claim to fame is singing very briefly with her when she came down to the crowd at Cardiff Stadium in 2000.

sjef345, i've been checking your site out for a while now.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 12, 2011 07:43

="

?v

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 12, 2011 08:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-12 08:37 by Keefan.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 10:41

Vinyl:
Ike + Tina Turner -DLP- What You Hear Is What You Get (LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL)
Ike + Tina Turner -DLP- Live In Paris 1971 (LIVE Olympia Paris)
Ike + Tina Turner -DLP 1979- Gold
Tina Turner -DLP 1988- Tina Live In Europe

****VINYL SOUNDS BETTER****

CD:
Ike + Tina Turner -CD- Live In Paris 1971 (LIVE Olympia Paris)
Ike +Tina Turner -CD- Live At The Cirkus Krone (03.11.1973)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-12 14:10 by satisfaction2.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 12, 2011 11:15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1827
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home