Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones Albums that have their own Unique Story
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 11, 2011 13:49

Most bands have a few albums where theres quite a unique story to them.But The Stones would probably have to have the most unique story of them all.. when it comes to the making of any album and that would have to be the infamous.. Exile on Main St.

So what are some of the other Stones albums that have a bit of a story to them?

Re: Stones Albums that have their own Unique Story
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:00

most sessions for albums are hardly news worthy. main reason people still talk about making exile is for so long most believed the entire album was recorded in keith's basement

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:02

It happened very much when recording 'Goats Head Soap' in Jamaica I remembering reading, but what was it exactly that happened ...confused smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:35

Dirty Work!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: February 11, 2011 14:46

Black and blue deserves a honorable mention.
The Rolling Stones in search for the perfect guitar match!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 11, 2011 15:47

all of their albums have their own Stories and all are fantastic - that's why I love the Stones.
for example, people like Pink Floyd's albums, but the stories are boring and dull as hell.

and no, I don't think Exile has the best, most interesting story - love the album, but that's not it...

Date: February 11, 2011 15:57

Amused
all of their albums have their own Stories and all are fantastic - that's why I love the Stones.
for example, people like Pink Floyd's albums, but the stories are boring and dull as hell.

and no, I don't think Exile has the best, most interesting story - love the album, but that's not it...

Maybe, but I don't think there's any real "story" regarding 'Out Of Our Heads' or 'Tattoo You' to name just two, great as they are.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 11, 2011 16:42

Sleepy City
Maybe, but I don't think there's any real "story" regarding 'Out Of Our Heads' or 'Tattoo You' to name just two, great as they are.

In fact, I would like to hear the 'real story' behind TATTOO YOU. I have never haed any explanations for its oddity nature - why they decided to do such a kind of album, why Keith's contribution especially in later part of the project was minimal, which is in a total opposition to a procedure they had while doing EMOTIONAL RESCUE with which Keith spent months just to "fix" it (I remember reading an interview of Mick complaining about that). My personal guess is that the ego problems Mick and Keith had during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE had lead Mick to give some kind of ultimatum to Keith: if there will be a tour again, Mick will take solely - and quickly - care of the album with which they are going to tour, and Keith will keep his nose away. Still that time - early 80's - Mick and Keith didn't fight in public but were loyal to their band, so they didn't reveal that kind of deals (even though there are some Keith quotes from the time that seem to a bit belittle Mick's contribution in order to 'balance' it). Keith don't say anything of making TATTOO YOU in LIFE - only gives description of their fighting during EMOTIONAL SESSIONS.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-11 16:47 by Doxa.

Date: February 11, 2011 16:42

Well, I think for us most the stories are fascinating. I could read a book the making of each Stones album.
But I think several albums have very exciting stories surrounding them.
"Satanic" with the drugbusts, and the bizarre direction they were taking. Also each day must have been thrilling with London bustling and Cream, Beatles, Marriott, Hendrix all dropping by.
Banquet with the arrival of Jimmy Miller, keith's new discoveries of the guitar, the acoustic guitars, Brian's phasing out, the One Plus One film.
Aftermath with Brian shining, and the original songs.
"Sticky Fingers" with the Muscle Shoals sessions; the cover.
"Goats Head Soup" has very exciting stories, some pretty scary, about Kingston.
"Black & Blue" and the great guitarist hunt.
"Some Girls" and the Paris sessions; some of the most fruitful of Stones' career.
"Dirty Work" and the internal battles; Charlie strung out, and maybe not even present for some sessions.
"Steel Wheels" and the big return, the idyllic island sessions, the trip to Morocco.
"Voodoo Lounge" and the long rather adventurous sessions.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 11, 2011 16:45

I could read a book the making of each Stones album.

I was hoping that Keith would have tell us in 'Life' but....sad smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: February 11, 2011 18:24

Come On

What's the best book available on The Stones albums / studio recordings?

I have the Martin Elliott book which I quite like (though it's far from perfect); & I recently bought Alan Clayson's book which I found a major disappointment (I'm not even convinced he listened to all of the recordings). The Uncut magazine was quite a nice overview but not in-depth enough...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 11, 2011 21:00

We need one of these - which is excellent -

Although I know that's not quite what this is about, it still would be fantastic to read about.

Date: February 11, 2011 21:01

Sleepy City
Come On

I have the Martin Elliott book which I quite like (though it's far from perfect); & I recently bought Alan Clayson's book which I found a major disappointment (I'm not even convinced he listened to all of the recordings). The Uncut magazine was quite a nice overview but not in-depth enough...

SleepyCity, two superb books on Exile are by John Perry and by Bill Janowitz. I loved both of them.
There is one on Beggars, and one on Let it Bleed.
AND I'm pretty sure in that series of books that they sell in US record stores now on Classic Albums there is one on Sticky Fingers.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 11, 2011 21:01

It seems that Keith's "lack of input" on Tattoo You was only because there wasn't anything for him to do - all of his parts were already done.

At least, it sure seems that way.

Date: February 11, 2011 21:03

That Mark Lewisohn book, I read every line in it.
What I am REALLY looking forward to is the upcoming book on "Stones Gear"; it is the parallel to "Beatles Gear" by Andy from the Ch. Kings

Date: February 12, 2011 01:39

Palace Revolution 2000
Sleepy City
Come On

SleepyCity, two superb books on Exile are by John Perry and by Bill Janowitz. I loved both of them.
There is one on Beggars, and one on Let it Bleed.
AND I'm pretty sure in that series of books that they sell in US record stores now on Classic Albums there is one on Sticky Fingers.

Thank you, I'll probably invest in those.

I must confess that my fave era is 1963 to 1967 though.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2011 03:26

Doxa
Sleepy City

In fact, I would like to hear the 'real story' behind TATTOO YOU. I have never haed any explanations for its oddity nature - why they decided to do such a kind of album, why Keith's contribution especially in later part of the project was minimal, which is in a total opposition to a procedure they had while doing EMOTIONAL RESCUE with which Keith spent months just to "fix" it (I remember reading an interview of Mick complaining about that). My personal guess is that the ego problems Mick and Keith had during making EMOTIONAL RESCUE had lead Mick to give some kind of ultimatum to Keith: if there will be a tour again, Mick will take solely - and quickly - care of the album with which they are going to tour, and Keith will keep his nose away. Still that time - early 80's - Mick and Keith didn't fight in public but were loyal to their band, so they didn't reveal that kind of deals (even though there are some Keith quotes from the time that seem to a bit belittle Mick's contribution in order to 'balance' it). Keith don't say anything of making TATTOO YOU in LIFE - only gives description of their fighting during EMOTIONAL SESSIONS.

- Doxa

Great article on Tattoo You here with an interview with Chris Kimsey :

[www.soundonsound.com]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 12, 2011 03:52

Sleepy City
Come On

I quite enjoyed this one...[www.amazon.co.uk] as you can see it's not written by any of the band but there are loads of quotes from them all about different songs throughout the book.....

Date: February 12, 2011 04:06

EddieByword
Sleepy City
Come On

I quite enjoyed this one...[www.amazon.co.uk] as you can see it's not written by any of the band but there are loads of quotes from them all about different songs throughout the book.....

Thanks very much, I've just ordered a copy! smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2011 04:43

Keith Richards / Norbert Ivanek ------------- Guitar World October 1998

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Keefan ()
Date: February 12, 2011 07:52

Palace Revolution 2000
Well, I think for us most the stories are fascinating. I could read a book the making of each Stones album.
But I think several albums have very exciting stories surrounding them.
"Satanic" with the drugbusts, and the bizarre direction they were taking. Also each day must have been thrilling with London bustling and Cream, Beatles, Marriott, Hendrix all dropping by.
Banquet with the arrival of Jimmy Miller, keith's new discoveries of the guitar, the acoustic guitars, Brian's phasing out, the One Plus One film.
Aftermath with Brian shining, and the original songs.
"Sticky Fingers" with the Muscle Shoals sessions; the cover.
"Goats Head Soup" has very exciting stories, some pretty scary, about Kingston.
"Black & Blue" and the great guitarist hunt.
"Some Girls" and the Paris sessions; some of the most fruitful of Stones' career.
"Dirty Work" and the internal battles; Charlie strung out, and maybe not even present for some sessions.
"Steel Wheels" and the big return, the idyllic island sessions, the trip to Morocco.
"Voodoo Lounge" and the long rather adventurous sessions.

I spent a little time in Muscle Shoals on business a long time ago, and its such a boring little town that its hard to imagine the Stones, or all the other legendary musicians who recorded there, spending any time there.

The studio they recorded in had a great sound though, and the engineer Jimmy Johnson had the magic touch, Could Wild Horses & Brown Sugar have sounded any better? I don't think so. If the Stones hadn't recorded Wild Horses there, Jim Dickinson wouldn't have played piano on it, and that alone would've made the song sound a lot different.

The Black Keys recorded their latest cd, Brothers, in Muscle Shoals.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1260
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home