Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ian Rankin Author Link to Stu.
Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 9, 2011 13:42

Ian has published numerous crime thrillers based in Edinburgh and featuring the main character Inspector Rebus. Rebus deals with stress at the end of the day by drinking large measures of Malt Whisky and listening to his Stones collection.
Books published include the following titles -
Beggars Banquet
Black and Blue
Let it Bleed
You may safely conclude that Rankin is a Stones fan.
Along with Aidan Moffat he also penned and performed a song " The Sixth Stone" as a tribute to Stu. Rankin comes from roughly the same area of Scotland as Stu.
See U tube Aidan Moffat Ian Rankin The Sixth Stone.

Re: Ian Rankin Author Link to Stu.
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 9, 2011 13:47

"Beggars Banquet" is a collection of short stories, not all about Rebus or crime. There is one called "Glimmer" which is written from the viewpoint of an anonymous narrator who is present during the recording of Sympathy for the Devil and also at Altamont. Ian Rankin certainly knows his Stones history.

Date: February 9, 2011 13:54

Green Lady
"Beggars Banquet" is a collection of short stories, not all about Rebus or crime. There is one called "Glimmer" which is written from the viewpoint of an anonymous narrator who is present during the recording of Sympathy for the Devil and also at Altamont. Ian Rankin certainly knows his Stones history.
Yes indeed I realise this but didn`t wish to write an essay! You are correct Mr Rankin does know a conidserable amount about the Stones. His books are well worth exploring. Also they are shall we say at a very decent (sophisticated) level of crime writing!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-09 13:55 by belld.

Date: February 9, 2011 13:57

belld
Green Lady
Yes indeed I realise this but didn`t wish to write an essay! You are correct Mr Rankin does know a conidserable amount about the Stones. His books are well worth exploring. Also they are shall we say at a very decent (sophisticated) level of crime writing!

Sorry - I can't resist being a know-all. Just tell me to shut up.

Date: February 9, 2011 14:01

Green Lady
belld
Green Lady

Sorry - I can't resist being a know-all. Just tell me to shut up.
Never Green Lady.You are too interesting and I am too much of an old fashioned chap to even think this even if it was merited which on this occassion it certainly is not! Cheers.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 9, 2011 14:34

Ian Rankin is a great Edinburgh writer, the real city is alive in his books.
He is also a big rock n roll fan, ive seen him in the audience at gigs when I was living in Edinburgh, 2 that come to mind were Fay Fife`s comeback show and St James Infirmary although he is often lurking in the dark like you would imagine smiling smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 9, 2011 14:44

he's also very active on Twitter

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: February 9, 2011 14:48

I've only read one Ian Rankin book, but I always try to listen or watch any programme he's appearing on as he always has something interesting to say. He's long been a major Stones fan and loves music generally. He tweets about bands, albums and gigs all the time. And he tweeted about his overnight visit to London for a "hush hush" special book signing by Keith organized for the chosen few by their mutual publishers.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: February 9, 2011 15:17

He also wrote a short story called "Exile On Princes Street". I once asked him if he was a Stones fan (at a signing) and he came close to denying it! I remember he was a paying audience member at the Astoria gig. If you want to read more than one Rebus novel, it does pay to read them in sequence. Fortuitously, I have a first edition of his very first novel which I bought for a pound or two in a second hand book shop many years ago. It now goes for silly prices and I'll probably have to part with my copy to pay the ticket prices (and belld's bar bill) for the next tour.

Date: February 14, 2012 13:12

belld
Ian has published numerous crime thrillers based in Edinburgh and featuring the main character Inspector Rebus. Rebus deals with stress at the end of the day by drinking large measures of Malt Whisky and listening to his Stones collection.
Books published include the following titles -
Beggars Banquet
Black and Blue
Let it Bleed
You may safely conclude that Rankin is a Stones fan.
Along with Aidan Moffat he also penned and performed a song " The Sixth Stone" as a tribute to Stu. Rankin comes from roughly the same area of Scotland as Stu.
See U tube Aidan Moffat Ian Rankin The Sixth Stone.

Date: February 14, 2012 13:15

Ian also contributed to the introductions at the Boogie for Stu gig in London last year.

Rankin, Rebus and the Rolling Stones
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: February 12, 2012 20:33

Is anyone familar with the Inspector Rebus novels, by Ian Rankin? Not only are they great, hard-boiled Edinburgh crime fiction, but they are infused with Stones references.

The novels include Black and Blue, Let It Bleed, and Beggars Banquet, and the one I've just finished (Hanging Garden) references Just Wanna See His Face, Soul Survivor, Paint It Black and RnR Circus (not to mention Quadrophenia, Dylan...).

Here is a little interesting further reading:
rebus and stewart

Re: Rankin, Rebus and the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 13, 2012 02:01

Yep they are great I have the 6 box DVD set - Rebus includes Stones References in every episode , being from Edinburgh and the two loves of my Life are The Stones and Hibernian FC = Rebus is also a Hibernian Fanatic [at least on set].They do make wonderful viewing with some of the back drops of old Edinburgh breathtaking.Outside of music and something to watch on tv,I would recommend these to any Stones fans for a bit of light entertainment,listen close and you will pick up The Stones references.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 13, 2012 02:03

Ian Rankin did the introduction at the Boogie 4 Stu shows.

sc uk

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 13, 2012 11:36

Yes. I have seen a few series. Great

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 13, 2012 13:23

Love the books. Disappointed in the TV show because the cast are totally excellent but they've stripped too much of the book away. Shame as Ken Stott IS Rebus. Wish I'd seen him play Tony Hancock for the BBC.

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: February 13, 2012 18:46

Love the Rebus books, but not too fussed on the TV show. I actually preferred John Hannah to Ken Stott. And as a bit of a geek,as was hinted at earlier, it was Siobhan that was the Hibs supporter in the books - Rebus wasn't really into football.

Date: February 13, 2012 19:28

Gasp...prefered John Hannah !! Never !

Date: February 14, 2012 01:37

Definitely not John Hannah - nothing against him as an actor, but totally miscast as Rebus.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: February 14, 2012 04:54

Cool - thanks for sharing - I'm not familiar with these books but I love detective stories. cool smiley

Posted by: geoffc ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:15

More about Ian Rankin & the Stones....

[www.dailyrecord.co.uk]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 14, 2012 11:37

The GR
Love the books. Disappointed in the TV show because the cast are totally excellent but they've stripped too much of the book away. Shame as Ken Stott IS Rebus. Wish I'd seen him play Tony Hancock for the BBC.

Try here:
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: February 14, 2012 13:45

I don't own a computer at home and I'm at work so no Hancock for me. But the BBC repeated the Hattie Jacques/Ruth Jones the other week so it's just a matter of time.

Till then I have the BBC shows, Punch & Judy Man and The Rebel on DVD.

Date: March 3, 2012 22:56

teleblaster
He also wrote a short story called "Exile On Princes Street". I once asked him if he was a Stones fan (at a signing) and he came close to denying it! I remember he was a paying audience member at the Astoria gig. If you want to read more than one Rebus novel, it does pay to read them in sequence. Fortuitously, I have a first edition of his very first novel which I bought for a pound or two in a second hand book shop many years ago. It now goes for silly prices and I'll probably have to part with my copy to pay the ticket prices (and belld's bar bill) for the next tour.
Mr Teleblaster please sell away.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: March 4, 2012 12:09

belld
teleblaster
Mr Teleblaster please sell away.

[www.abebooks.co.uk] (not my copy, by the way)

Might not fund the bar bill for a whole tour, but could make for a couple of pleasant evenings with Cocky in the bar of the Isle of Coll Hotel.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: March 4, 2012 14:54

I've only read "Fleshmarket Close" ("So soll er sterben" in German) so far and was really surprised when I read about Goat's Head Soup and Stu in one chapter. But never had an idea that he's such a fan.

Stretched too often, maybe, but here's something new to find almost everyday smiling smiley

Date: November 5, 2013 21:04

teleblaster
Bump

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: November 5, 2013 23:48

Really enjoyable reads & a decent TV show. Good threat guys

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 6, 2013 11:03

Very good writer. The second hand bookstore (Pegasus Books, Seattle) I frequent has a special section for him. Needless to say, a pretty hip little bookstore.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 6, 2013 12:05

Tonstone
Rebus includes Stones References in every episode [...] listen close and you will pick up The Stones references.

Could anybody give some examples?! I've seen (almost) all REBUS'es, many of them several times - loved every minute of it - , and I don't recall picking up Stonesreferences...
I'm not questioning nor arguing against them; I'm just saying I never noticed any, as far as memory serves. Would love to hear one or two examples! (Maybe then my memory omes back... winking smiley )

P.S.: always planned on reading some of those, too - this thread is a good opportunity to quit postponing that! smoking smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1609
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home