Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Sympathy LA 75
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:47

Now this is the way to play Sympathy, some amazing guitar work from Keef and Ronnie...oh and Mr Leavell, please take note of piano

Re: Sympathy LA 75
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 7, 2013 22:50

very good version of the song. What dvd version is this do you know?

Date: September 7, 2013 22:58

Someone far more knowledgable will be along shortly to inform us exactly what this DVD boot is called, where you can get it and just about anything else you need to know....won't they?

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 7, 2013 23:13

Love the women dancing

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: September 7, 2013 23:17

Greatest stage ever

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 7, 2013 23:19

Worst 75 show...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 7, 2013 23:21

Yes, great, this is the version from July 11; all the concerts in LA 75 (four or five, I don't know exactly) are worth to be released like the concert on LA Friday (which comes from Sunday, July 13). In 75/76 the band was on top in respect of the guitar play; never before and after (including the MT-years) they played on such a level. Incidentally I like the perfect rhythm section with Bill, Charlie and Ollie Brown who was one of the best additional musicians the Stones ever had. And Billy Preston: Hear the piano work on the medley "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud". Priceless ...

Date: September 7, 2013 23:21

I'm guessing it's from the DVD Rocking the LA Forum

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: September 8, 2013 01:16

RobertJohnson
In 75/76 the band was on top in respect of the guitar play; never before and after (including the MT-years) they played on such a level. Incidentally I like the perfect rhythm section with Bill, Charlie and Ollie Brown who was one of the best additional musicians the Stones ever had. And Billy Preston: Hear the piano work on the medley "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud". Priceless ...

Don't you mean: in '72/73 the band was on top in respect of the guitar play? Never after have they played on such a level. Taylor's scorching guitar work creating definitive live versions of BS, GS, Happy, TD, YCAGWYW, MR, ATDL, SFM to name a few. A standard unknown by the general public for the most part until the official 2011 release of Brussels Affair by stonesarchive.com

RW/KR do a great job on three standout funked up tracks on 1975's LA Friday: Sympathy, YCRM/GOMC which unfortunatley no mid 70's Taylor version exists for comparison. Though we can hear the start of the copulating cats guitar sound marketted as 'weaving'. Stray Cat Blues indeed.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 8, 2013 01:22

A bunch of garbbling drug fulled crap. Amateurish tinkering by Billy ruined this song.

Date: September 8, 2013 02:05

RockinJive
A bunch of garbbling drug fulled crap. Amateurish tinkering by Billy ruined this song.

confused smiley

Date: September 8, 2013 13:29

muffie
RobertJohnson
In 75/76 the band was on top in respect of the guitar play; never before and after (including the MT-years) they played on such a level. Incidentally I like the perfect rhythm section with Bill, Charlie and Ollie Brown who was one of the best additional musicians the Stones ever had. And Billy Preston: Hear the piano work on the medley "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud". Priceless ...

Don't you mean: in '72/73 the band was on top in respect of the guitar play? Never after have they played on such a level. Taylor's scorching guitar work creating definitive live versions of BS, GS, Happy, TD, YCAGWYW, MR, ATDL, SFM to name a few. A standard unknown by the general public for the most part until the official 2011 release of Brussels Affair by stonesarchive.com

RW/KR do a great job on three standout funked up tracks on 1975's LA Friday: Sympathy, YCRM/GOMC which unfortunatley no mid 70's Taylor version exists for comparison. Though we can hear the start of the copulating cats guitar sound marketted as 'weaving'. Stray Cat Blues indeed.

I think that two things are decisive for my opinion: Ronnie plays on an extraordinary level and Keith is more prominent than in the Taylor-years. Without any doubt the Taylor-years are a highlight in the band career, but this great renditions you mentioned rest essentially on the solo-contributions Mick Taylor did. Keith is often in the background playing only some rhythm licks. In 75/76 we have a quite good balance between the both guitarists on a quite good level. This is what I mean.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-08 13:40 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 8, 2013 15:28

Always loved the intro/first seconds of this version. Although I had other boots with different sound.
Not the whole song though.Like with Rambler in 75 it's often been too much . .
The ultimate way to play SFTD is still 69/YaYa's style.

Date: September 8, 2013 16:11

RobertJohnson
muffie
RobertJohnson

I think that two things are decisive for my opinion: Ronnie plays on an extraordinary level and Keith is more prominent than in the Taylor-years. Without any doubt the Taylor-years are a highlight in the band career, but this great renditions you mentioned rest essentially on the solo-contributions Mick Taylor did. Keith is often in the background playing only some rhythm licks. In 75/76 we have a quite good balance between the both guitarists on a quite good level. This is what I mean.

thumbs up Very essential for a swinging rock´n´roll band, imo.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: September 8, 2013 16:20

RockinJive

That might be a bit far fetched, but they definitely suffered from a musical identity crisis. I witnessed it myself.

Date: September 8, 2013 16:35

Development, not identity crisis smiling smiley

Date: September 8, 2013 16:51

DandelionPowderman

I was talking about the guitar. winking smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: September 8, 2013 16:56

Great great Guitar playing from Both Keef and ronnie.

Good Version, very inspired.

better than the recent versions, 2003-2013.

Jeroen

Date: September 8, 2013 17:45

svt22
DandelionPowderman

I was talking about the guitar. winking smiley

Me too smiling smiley

Date: September 8, 2013 20:36

DandelionPowderman
svt22
DandelionPowderman

I was talking about the guitar winking smiley

Me too smiling smiley

The rhythm, drums and bass are ok imo.
I thought the lead sounded like a kitten in a tree though. grinning smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 8, 2013 20:38

No way this compares to '69. Sorry. (and I was at this show).

Date: September 8, 2013 23:32

71Tele
No way this compares to '69. Sorry. (and I was at this show).

No Tele I don;t think it does, but I think it's a very good version. I liked the 75 TOTA's versions of Sympathy. Ronnie and Keith really played some great guitars and always built the ending up to a orgasmic finale'. I wished I seen it done as well as this. My first show was the year after at Les Abbatoirs.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 9, 2013 00:48

crumbling_mice
RockinJive

confused smiley

Well, at 0:53 you can see what actually looks like the powder they fuelled this with.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 9, 2013 10:32

The 1975 tour was one of the best ever tours. Unfortunaly for us, the pro shot video of July 11 captures their worst show of that tour.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 9, 2013 11:11

Hot hot hot! The tour 1975/76 was the last tour they could do justice to this dangerous number; it was still under their skin, so to say, and they breathe it. True, there is a carnevalism showing its face, but the days of Vegas cabaret are so far, and the song has its balls still. Mostly due to the fact that the band simply was still red hot. Like mentioned, they had lost some of their tightness and discipline of previous tours, but they were more rhythm-oriented and looser. The great rhythm section - and Preston - fits beautifully here, and they can show what they can when set free. Keith is wild, taking freedoms like never before, and Ronnie, while still making a stunt for Taylor, is a wild card as well, and don't seem to have any restraints yet how to play. What a beautiful, chaotic noise! And the cherry on the cake is Jagger, who still has an edge in his vocals. Actually I like his work here more than in 1969 - especially YA-YA'S - when his voice sounded a bit cold, and he just sang the song through with no much passion (that's always been my problem with otherwise wonderful YA-YA'S version).

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-09 11:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 9, 2013 12:54

Doxa:

What a beautiful, chaotic noise! And the cherry on the cake is Jagger, who still has an edge in his vocals. Actually I like his work here more than in 1969 - especially YA-YA'S - when his voice sounded a bit cold, and he just sang the song through with no much passion (that's always been my problem with otherwise wonderful YA-YA'S version)

Redhotcarpet: Yes yes and yes. Exactly. Spot on. Thank you. Amen.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: September 9, 2013 13:05

Mathijs
The 1975 tour was one of the best ever tours. Unfortunaly for us, the pro shot video of July 11 captures their worst show of that tour.

Mathijs

Yes, even though I hold the '69-73 period way higher, I agree with you. A pity that they played so sloppy on that very show on the 11th. (I certainly don't mind a few mistakes, but only if the energy level and overall inspiration is high, which it ain't here). They filmed mostly excellent shows on other tours ... NYC in '69, Ft Worth in '72 (although there were a few hotter shows), Paris and Knebworth in '76, Texas '78, Hampton '81 ... they should probably have waited until later in '75 since the Stones usually get tighter later on their tours.

Date: September 9, 2013 14:24

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 9, 2013 17:51

In 75 they represented Devil at its full potential.

The direction was set in Hyde Park, with the long jam and the percussion. In 69 they developed the guitar arrangements.

In 75 Ollie Brown made the job better than 1,000 percussionists, inspiring Keith and Ron to forget whatever formality of fixed arrangement and give it all from moment 1. Just listen to how Keith enriched rhythmically his own part. Or how at the end every single member of the band is just ad libbing in pure excitement. Could be Mingus!

Best version EVER-

What happened from 89 onward, is one of the saddest stories in the RS history.

Date: September 9, 2013 19:26

liddas
In 75 they represented Devil at its full potential.

The direction was set in Hyde Park, with the long jam and the percussion. In 69 they developed the guitar arrangements.

In 75 Ollie Brown made the job better than 1,000 percussionists, inspiring Keith and Ron to forget whatever formality of fixed arrangement and give it all from moment 1. Just listen to how Keith enriched rhythmically his own part. Or how at the end every single member of the band is just ad libbing in pure excitement. Could be Mingus!

Best version EVER-

What happened from 89 onward, is one of the saddest stories in the RS history.

Yes, agree, SFTD as a boring sample machine ... with some few guitar licks and pling plong Chuck ...

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1327
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home