Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Eagle Rock "Some Girls" Documentary In the Works
Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 8, 2011 20:59

Gazza
KeefintheNight82
Gazza
originalstones
A friend of mine was just telling me that Eagle Rock Entertainment, who did the "Stones In Exile" documentary, is now doing one on the Some Girls album. However, It has not been confirmed if the Stones will be doing a Some Girls CD like they did for Exile On Main St.

If I find out anymore I will let you know.

Rob

Excellent news if true. Hopefully the unreleased concert film "Ladies & Gentlemen" from that tour will be part of the package (filmed in Fort Worth - only 6 songs or so of which has ever circulated)

I'm confused and probably uninformed. What is this film to which you refer? I thought Ladies and Gentlemen was the concert film that was recently released.

There are three concert films with the same or similar title.

The first was a TV special filmed at the Marquee in 1971 - only broadcast in continental Europe.

The second was a movie filmed in Fort Worth & Houston in 1972 and released in cinemas in 1974. Recently reissued.

There was also a concert movie filmed at Fort Worth in 1978. It remains unreleased, although video footage of the first six songs have circulated amongst collectors. An audio soundboard of the entire gig has been in circulation since the mid-90's.

Thanks!

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:04

There are many good outtakes from 70's. The problems are the 'new vocals'.
The current Mick's voice is sometimes embarassing as in 'Following the River.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2011 21:38

Yes it is.

Maybe there are enough vocal takes do make a comp with.

Date: February 8, 2011 21:56

Gazza
Correct. 'So Young' and 'Fiji Jim' had new vocals added during the VL sessions.

'I Think I'm Goin' Mad' was first cut in Nassau early 1979 for 'Emotional Rescue'. Its not a 'Some Girls' outtake.

Didn´t they work on Think I´m Going Mad on the Undercover sessions as well (with Keith on vocals)?

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 8, 2011 22:44

DandelionPowderman
Gazza

'I Think I'm Goin' Mad' was first cut in Nassau early 1979 for 'Emotional Rescue'. Its not a 'Some Girls' outtake.

Didn´t they work on Think I´m Going Mad on the Undercover sessions as well (with Keith on vocals)?

The Keith vocal version of Think I'm Going Mad is available on bootleg.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 8, 2011 23:42

24FPS
A real look at the Some Girls era would require starting at the Mocambo through to Keith's (& the Stones) 1979 Canadian benefit concert. Do they really want to take a close look at the time Keith almost capsized the band? The tour was extremely uneven. Their Saturday Night Live appearance was a disaster. The Some Girls era in reality is a darker time than Exile. Some Girls is like the payback for all the 'cool' times in the early 70s. Heroin wasn't funny by 1978. The album may have sold well that summer, but there was no followup European tour. Jagger was getting divorced. What a mess....................

True.
It was an interesting era, and a watershed moment in the Stones history in may ways, but I agree, it was also a turbulent time for Mick and Keith, both personally and professionally. I can't see either Mick or Keith enthusiastically re-living that period, which would be neccesary to do something on the scale of the Exile re-release. Exile was different, for all it's supposed decadance and debouchery, it was also more romanticized, actually idylic and with still some mystery and myth attached to it.
Some Girls marked the end of an era...it would be the last time the Stones had a number one hit, the last truly great album that had a cultural impact...and it marked the end of Anita and Bianca's presence. It would be an interesting documentary, but maybe too dark.
I also can't see them doing this before, say a Sticky Fingers or Beggars or Let it Bleed re-release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-08 23:45 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 8, 2011 23:54

Or worse, they would portray it as a great time for the band. It was triumphant in that 'Miss You' successfully straddled the line between rock and disco. And things like Bette Midler covering 'Beast of Burden'brought the Mickster into higher pop prominence. It was their last great album, and the negative reviews didn't result in empty stadium seats. (As far as I know). Knowing Mick & Keith they'll never give Bill & Charlie the credit they well deserve for 'Miss You'.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 8, 2011 23:55

DandelionPowderman
Gazza

Yes. And the released version was worked on during those sessions too.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 8, 2011 23:56

heard miss you on the radio the other day. i know it's got that "four on the floor" characteristic, but i still don't hear disco there...i hear funky rock. one of their more remarkably unique forays....

Date: February 9, 2011 00:03

24FPS
Or worse, they would portray it as a great time for the band. It was triumphant in that 'Miss You' successfully straddled the line between rock and disco. And things like Bette Midler covering 'Beast of Burden'brought the Mickster into higher pop prominence. It was their last great album, and the negative reviews didn't result in empty stadium seats. (As far as I know). Knowing Mick & Keith they'll never give Bill & Charlie the credit they well deserve for 'Miss You'.

It did mark a great comeback and the Stones successfully triumphed over the disco and punk trends.....
And as for the Canadian bust, Mick's divorce.... they could do a revisionist version....interviewing Jerry Hall about how Mick was so sexy etc.....with Patti chiming in about how Keith was so cool etc..(that's not nice, I like Patti)
The Stones through virgin eyes.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 9, 2011 00:08

stupidguy2

It did mark a great comeback and the Stones successfully triumphed over the disco and punk trends.....
And as for the Canadian bust, Mick's divorce.... they could do a revisionist version....interviewing Jerry Hall about how Mick was so sexy etc.....with Patti chiming in about how Keith was so cool etc..(that's not nice, I like Patti)
The Stones through virgin eyes.

Why only Jerry and Patti? Bring them all!
The Stones through some girls eyes

Date: February 9, 2011 00:52

I'm hearing now that this release will come out in September 2011 - CD, DVD and additional unreleased material.

Universal also plan to release a greatest hits album later this year and a boxed set of singles covering the period 1971 - 2007.

Tour to follow in 2012, according to the same (Dutch) source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-09 00:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 9, 2011 01:06

Gazza
I'm hearing now that this release will come out in September 2011 - CD, DVD and additional unreleased material.

Universal also plan to release a greatest hits album later this year and a boxed set of singles covering the period 1971 - 2007.

So no new album?

Date: February 9, 2011 01:48

Havent heard of one.

I'd imagine it would make more commercial sense for that to coincide with a tour.

So, as they're unlikely to tour in 2012 behind a few reissues/compilations released in 2011, Universal would probably be looking for a new record for that.

2011 appears to be a case of Universal giving the back catalogue and archives another kickstart in time for 2012.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 9, 2011 03:28

Maybe that is what the Maya meant about the end of the world in 2012. I think they meant the end of music when the Stones retire from touring.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 9, 2011 04:19

StonesTod
heard miss you on the radio the other day. i know it's got that "four on the floor" characteristic, but i still don't hear disco there...i hear funky rock. one of their more remarkably unique forays....

a gift that keeps on giving

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2011 04:20

The greatest hits album just could be HOT STUFF and the box set of singles is already announced for April so bring on September. Here's hoping there's more than just alternate takes of the album tracks in the Deluxe Edition.

Re: Eagle Rock "Some Girls" Documentary
Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: February 9, 2011 04:22

proudmary
I like Stones in Exile but, yes, it coud've be better. You know that Bill who filmed all the time during Nellcote sessions refused to give them shooting materials. I've read it in one of S. Kijak(SIE director). It's wierd, isn't it?

Where was it documented that Wyman filmed while at nellcote?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 9, 2011 05:14

I noticed that Universal's copy for SINGLES 1971-2006 lists Wyman as the band's longtime and ongoing archivist. Perhaps that's why Bill was at the meeting in the Netherlands in December. If he's officially onboard as archivist for a record deal that's almost exclusively about exploiting the back catalog it makes sense.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 9, 2011 06:18

I hope they put this new 'Greatest Hits' package on I-Tunes so you only have to buy the very few things that are hard to find.

Date: February 9, 2011 16:44

I agree. I don't want to buy a box set of a gazillion CDs just for 5 songs.

So Some Girls deluxe (which is most excellent) along with another hits comp (with the same ol' songs) with another tour without a new album.

Gee. I wonder what THAT set list will be like....oh, probably "(with the same ol' songs)" ha ha.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: February 9, 2011 22:07

Gazza

Thanks for the news Gaz- Hopefully this will include a full concert on DVD- the ancient art of weaving

Posted by: Telecaster_man ()
Date: February 9, 2011 23:55

Some Girls era...dark period...my favourite one!

Lord I Miss You

---------------------------------------------
Shattered !!!
---------------------------------------------

Date: February 10, 2011 00:49

Telecaster_man
Some Girls era...dark period...my favourite one!

Lord I Miss You

Maybe turbulent...
I mean, singing about the devil may be more interesting, but missing someone can be a heavy trip.

Date: February 10, 2011 00:53

StonesTod

I think it was all the 'ooooooh's that made it disco-esque for some people ha ha.

Date: February 10, 2011 00:58

Gotta say, originalstones has had the best Stones news of 2011 so far. And Gazza adding to it with some other details. Let's hope this really does happen.

Didn't Miss You start out with Mick and...Billy Preston at The Mocambo? Seems like Billy would have gotten at least one of those lame assed 'inspired by' credits like Ronnie got for IORR...or was it Hey Negrita?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 10, 2011 00:59

skipstone
StonesTod

I think it was all the 'ooooooh's that made it disco-esque for some people ha ha.

nothing wrong with disco - i love a good disco tune - but miss is just good funky rock.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:14

This is nice

[www.dailymotion.com]

I have a Betty Wright cd from the 90s and I can't find a reference to it on the net....but she did a great version, more Al Greenesque

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1680
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home