Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
noodling?
Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: February 5, 2011 05:08

I have seen this term on iorr board but not sure what means. Explain please?

confused smiley

Re: noodling?
Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 5, 2011 05:50

Usually referring to a guitar/keyboard player or soloist when not playing focused on their part/solo, and wandering mindlessly around on the notes without taking the solo anywhere, or maybe meandering/goofing around with the notes uninspired. Not sure that helps define it but there are better minds here that I'm sure will follow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 05:51 by winter.

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: February 5, 2011 06:17

Just listen to any concert by the Grateful Dead, and you'll understand the meaning of noodling immediately.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 5, 2011 07:00

"Winging it" is another expression used by Keith, about Chuck Berry, in the "Hail, Hail Rock & Roll" movie. About the same thing as noodling, I think.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 5, 2011 07:58

bustedtrousers
Just listen to any concert by the Grateful Dead, and you'll understand the meaning of noodling immediately.

Hah! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: February 5, 2011 09:34

Stoneage
"Winging it" is another expression used by Keith, about Chuck Berry, in the "Hail, Hail Rock & Roll" movie. About the same thing as noodling, I think.

Not really. Winging it is when you don't know how to get where your going, but if all goes well, your skill and experience get you there on time, without getting lost, and everyone still enjoys the ride.

Noodling is when you get lost on purpose, and everyone in the car is pissed at you.

Posted by: ineedadrink ()
Date: February 5, 2011 09:36

let's not forget the fine art of wanking winking smiley

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: February 5, 2011 10:02

Noodling and then theres Doodling which can have a similiar meaning.

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: February 5, 2011 10:16

ineedadrink
let's not forget the fine art of wanking winking smiley

Yeah, as in 'fret-wanking'....

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2011 10:21

let's not forget the fine art of wanking

Yep .... There's a lotta hand-trolley use around here .......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: February 5, 2011 12:10

Mick Taylor has been accused of noodling in the Stones, especially on the fall 73 tour of Europe because of his long solos.

This is bullshit. His playing was awesome on that tour.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 5, 2011 12:18

winter
Usually referring to a guitar/keyboard player or soloist when not playing focused on their part/solo, and wandering mindlessly around on the notes without taking the solo anywhere, or maybe meandering/goofing around with the notes uninspired. Not sure that helps define it but there are better minds here that I'm sure will follow.

Indeed. You got focused (good)and unfocused (bad) noodling.
Matter of taste.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 5, 2011 13:33

Strolling? Jazz-term ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 5, 2011 13:57

Amsterdamned
winter

Matter of taste.

And so how would you describe Keith's noodling on his open g tuned axe in latter versions of Dice for example ? I think what he does there definitely meets the criteria for a noodle, but it's a great sounding noodle I have to say, at least to my ears it is at any rate. Not particularly focused, not exactly a work of immense concentration or proficiency, but boy does it ever fit well with whatever the others are doing, that's what I think anyway.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 5, 2011 13:58

Happy Chinese New Year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 13:59 by Silver Dagger.

Date: February 5, 2011 14:32

paulywaul
Amsterdamned
winter

Matter of taste.

And so how would you describe Keith's noodling on his open g tuned axe in latter versions of Dice for example ? I think what he does there definitely meets the criteria for a noodle, but it's a great sounding noodle I have to say, at least to my ears it is at any rate. Not particularly focused, not exactly a work of immense concentration or proficiency, but boy does it ever fit well with whatever the others are doing, that's what I think anyway.

Good question.
Keith guitar solos are mostly Chuck Berry style, at which he is best imo.
Keith noodling -off Chuck Berry- is often slow , fat and bluesy, so in his own way it's fat and slow noodling.smiling smiley I like it most of the time. A pity he's got arthritis,which doesn't make it any better, or even worse in the future.
Must be painful for Keith, in every way.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:47

Keith and Mick noodling together:

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:55

Definition of noodling:

When Keith Richards decides to play a song he wrote in a way other than the one that appeared on the vinyl record and in a thousand mediocre bootlegs from the seventies, and when the guitar work therefore becomes innovative, refreshing, and new.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:58

bustedtrousers

Ooh, I thought they were tuning the guitars winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:59

Rockman

I still don't get what's the difference between these two expressions :hand- trolley & hand shandy confused smiley but I am sure some good souls can explain me ,what do you think,Rockee ?tongue sticking out smiley

Since I read iorr ,my slang vocabulary in English has increased to the point I know now more about English slang than French slang ....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 5, 2011 17:04

Zack
Mick Taylor has been accused of noodling in the Stones, especially on the fall 73 tour of Europe because of his long solos.

No it's not bullshit - I've heard plenty of noodling on Taylor's part - just as I've heard plenty - PLENTY - of wanking on Wood's part - and Keith's.

Date: February 5, 2011 17:19

Zack

Ok,now I understand what jjflash meant here :

<<a guy said he hated the way Mick Taylor noodled on every song especially 'Happy'
where he says he ruined it.
<<

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 5, 2011 17:48

SwayStones
Rockman

I still don't get what's the difference between these two expressions :hand- trolley & hand shandy confused smiley but I am sure some good souls can explain me ,what do you think,Rockee ?tongue sticking out smiley

Since I read iorr ,my slang vocabulary in English has increased to the point I know now more about English slang than French slang ....

Hi Sway - other useful slang for this, er, hobby are five knuckle shuffle; seeing mother fist and her five daughters; wrist job (Humble Pie wrote a song about this); and pulling off. Fleetwood Mac wrote a song about it called Rattlesnake Shake. winking smiley

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: February 5, 2011 21:22

skipstone
Zack

No it's not bullshit - I've heard plenty of noodling on Taylor's part - just as I've heard plenty - PLENTY - of wanking on Wood's part - and Keith's.

I define wanking as when you have the ability and talent to play really well but play too much, for too long, for your own enjoyment and to the detriment of the song and everyone listening. That's wanking. Think: John Popper, Phish, etc

Noodling is when you really have no idea what to play so you just run scales, play the same lick over and over and wander aimlessly around the licks and notes you know trying to find something that fits. Having no real structure or goal of even an idea as to what would sound right.

So to sum up: Wanking is a willful overuse and overdisplay of talent. And noodling is tacking up licks and cliches on autopilot just to fill in some sound.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2011 21:30

Hi Sway - other useful slang for this, er, hobby are five knuckle shuffle; seeing mother fist and her five daughters; wrist job (Humble Pie wrote a song about this); and pulling off. Fleetwood Mac wrote a song about it called Rattlesnake Shake.

There ya go Sway ...Silver Dagger has just about pulled 'em all off eeerrr out....

ROCKMAN

Date: February 5, 2011 21:40

Silver Dagger
SwayStones
Rockman

Hi Sway - other useful slang for this, er, hobby are five knuckle shuffle; seeing mother fist and her five daughters; wrist job (Humble Pie wrote a song about this); and pulling off. Fleetwood Mac wrote a song about it called Rattlesnake Shake. winking smiley

That's cool,Silver Dagger,now I know why I enjoyed listening Humble Pie & Fleetwood Mac so much ....

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 5, 2011 23:29

winter

As in, "Yoko Ono gave Paul McCartney cassette tapes of some of John Lennon's private "noodlings", and he and Jeff Lynne turned them into new Beatles records.

Date: February 6, 2011 01:06

KeefintheNight82
skipstone
Zack

I define wanking as when you have the ability and talent to play really well but play too much, for too long, for your own enjoyment and to the detriment of the song and everyone listening. That's wanking. Think: John Popper, Phish, etc

Noodling is when you really have no idea what to play so you just run scales, play the same lick over and over and wander aimlessly around the licks and notes you know trying to find something that fits. Having no real structure or goal of even an idea as to what would sound right.

So to sum up: Wanking is a willful overuse and overdisplay of talent. And noodling is tacking up licks and cliches on autopilot just to fill in some sound.

I tend to disagree.

Posted by: dancingmisterd ()
Date: February 6, 2011 01:24

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-06 01:48 by dancingmisterd.

Date: February 6, 2011 01:38

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-06 12:25 by Amsterdamned.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2134
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home