Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Got myself a new Stereo
Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: August 26, 2013 14:07

I wasn't sure if it was worth the (for my budget) steep investment. I wasn't sure I was going to hear the difference. Immediately I downloaded the entire Stones discography anew at 320Kbps.

Boy does every song sound different. I hear things I never heard before.

I'll re-install a turntable soon and try to hear if that brings even more quality.

Happy as can be :-)

Re: OT Got myself a new Stereo
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 26, 2013 14:08

New toys are always good!winking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 26, 2013 14:47

"a new Stereo" + mp3 crap don't work together imo... eye popping smiley

Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: August 26, 2013 14:58

dcba
"a new Stereo" + mp3 crap don't work together imo... eye popping smiley
>grinning smiley<

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:05

Seriously, to me it's like buying some nice boutique hand-painted dishes and put McDonald's in it.

When you upgrade the gear you gotta also upgrade the stuff that goes thru it, right?

Date: August 26, 2013 15:32

320 kbps isn't necessarily crap.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:46

Isn't connecting your tv-set with the computer and a 5.1 speaker system the best allround solution these days?

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:49

DandelionPowderman

thx. im fully satisfied with my 320kpbs collection,unless im listening to vinyl.
ears wont get better over the years lol...with 320, i used to dj in clubs as well (also vinyls ofc)...enough quality for me.

besides that,he got a new tool, and i hope he enjoys it a lot.
sadly i read a lot of this kind of posts here lately,miss a little "the being happy for others"....

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 15:51 by TeleK.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: August 26, 2013 15:50

Hey Promoman, I am happy that you are happy with your new stuff smileys with beer Enjoy

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:26

The main thing is that Promoman's happy with what he got for his money...

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:45

DandelionPowderman

That's true - I wonder how often "audiophiles" and music listeners just say that due to it being a mantra in the "audiophile community". How many can even truly tell the difference - it'd be a lot less than it seems! Sure, it's lossy, but at 320 bit-rate, it's a perfectly listenable medium for any music-lover I reckon. I'm sure many of you are equally happy to listen to the Stones in this format as long as the original mixing and mastering are ones you enjoy - or is it just me? I mostly listen in lossless format though, but I think Promoman is totally right in enjoying the collection in such a way, and noticing the improvement of delivery on his new system!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-26 16:46 by Denny.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: August 26, 2013 16:46

Im happy for you man!

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:18

Well done Promoman.there is nothing more exciting than a new toy which opens up dimensions in music previously undiscovered. Please can we not descend into a debate about where the best quality in recorded sound might lay. Each to his own, I can listen to a favourite song on anything and still enjoy it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:20

Everything's relative. If you were previously listening to the same files through cheap earbuds the difference might be revelatory.

Doesn't mean it can't get even better with vinyl.

When I listen these days, it's a decision of convenience vs. quality. I'll put the vinyl on when I can, but files are just so easy.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:45

This sounds pretentious, but generally, I think our society is polluted by bad sound equipment (like laptop or phone speakers) more than bad formats (like mp3).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 26, 2013 17:49

LieB
This sounds pretentious, but generally, I think our society is polluted by bad sound equipment (like laptop or phone speakers) more than bad formats (like mp3).

I think we said the exact same thing in different ways.

Having said that, a lot of people tell me I'm pretentious.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 26, 2013 18:47

treaclefingers
LieB

I think we said the exact same thing in different ways.

Having said that, a lot of people tell me I'm pretentious.

Yep. I guess it's not really pretentious. But I think mp3:s (even those of lower resolution like 128k) takes a bad rap when lame equipment is a more common cause of low sound quality. I guess hifi geeks will always complain about mp3s when they are in fact getting great sound quality almost regardless of format, while the kids who blast their smartphones on the bus won't ever get good quality.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: August 26, 2013 19:44

LieB

Nice way to greatly improve listening experience on a laptop : [www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 847
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home