Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What brand of whiskey is Keith drinking here?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 5, 2011 08:39

[4.bp.blogspot.com]

In this pic Keith is drinking Rebel Yell bourbon. I could never find the stuff until I started going to Trader Joe's groceries in L.A. I've never found it anywhere else. It's relatively cheap, but it's good. Just like Vodka, I think Belvedere and such are all hype. Finlandia is somewhere in between price wise and that's my preference. I get bored with people who become wine enthusiasts, cigar aficionados, or overly concerned with single malt scotches, etc. I think decent champagne starts around $30. Someone paying more than a hundred dollars for a bottle has too much money.

Jack Daniels is fine. That's what Sinatra drank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 08:48 by 24FPS.

Posted by: jeff14 ()
Date: February 5, 2011 14:44

I thought that Keith drank Jack because the "vapors" helped his vocal chords or something like that. Listening to him now he should've switched his brand.

Like the old school pop tops of the cans. Has anyone noticed that Keith is also a fan of Coors or Coors is a fan of the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 5, 2011 14:49

Can someone post a pic of a "Rebel Yell" bottle? Possibly with Keith nearby?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 5, 2011 14:55

dcba
Can someone post a pic of a "Rebel Yell" bottle? Possibly with Keith nearby?

Does this work ?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:02

Big Al
Jack Danies gives me a stonking headache - as do most bourbons, whiskies, etc.

When drinking shorts, I'll usually go for vodka and mixer.

Easy on those shorts Al. We all remember what happened last time you had a sesh!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:07

From a 2006 thread: Rebel Yell - Keith's favourite bourbon whiskey question
[www.iorr.org]

Rockman

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 5, 2011 16:08

"Does this work ?"

Yeah yeah... Thx! Now what about Keith and a quart of RY in the same pic? No Photoshop work allowed... (or make it real goofy)

Date: February 5, 2011 16:10

From Stonesdoug
[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

-------------------

Date: February 5, 2011 16:16

Oh yeah that's it!
Could it be 81 (or 79) and shot by Bob Gruen?

Posted by: marko ()
Date: February 5, 2011 16:17

after drinkin that bottle ALONE,its no wonder you can forget few hooks and lines here and there................hot smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 5, 2011 17:48

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 5, 2011 19:02

>> Could it be 81 (or 79) and shot by Bob Gruen? <<

very pretty! thanks Rolling Hansie & Stonesdoug
it's definitely 1981/82 ... ahh here we go: Jean Pigozzi took it, in 1981: [www.gagosian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-05 19:04 by with sssoul.

Date: February 5, 2011 19:20

If I'm not mistaken, there's a video of members of the Stones arriving at the Checkerboard Lounge (?) in Chicago to play with Muddy. When Keith walks in he sits down at a crowded table and they almost immediately hand him a bottle of Rebel Yell.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 5, 2011 19:21

24FPS
In this pic Keith is drinking Rebel Yell bourbon. I could never find the stuff until I started going to Trader Joe's groceries in L.A. I've never found it anywhere else. It's relatively cheap, but it's good.

it is cheap...and it tastes like it. rot-gut. available at many well-stocked liquor outlets.

Date: February 5, 2011 19:22

24FPS
. I get bored with people who become wine enthusiasts, cigar aficionados, or overly concerned with single malt scotches, etc.

you get bored with ppl who have refined tastes?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 5, 2011 22:07

Occasionally he drank this:

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 5, 2011 22:18

Jack and "coke"

no surprise there

Date: February 5, 2011 23:31

chelskeith
Jack and "coke"

no surprise there

And you are surprised that you are not surprised ?

-------------------

Posted by: belld ()
Date: February 6, 2011 00:41

StonesTod
24FPS
. I get bored with people who become wine enthusiasts, cigar aficionados, or overly concerned with single malt scotches, etc.

Yep, If one gets bored with others tastes they are a trifle elitist per chance? Do you get bored with liking the best music in your humble opinion? Chill.

Date: February 6, 2011 01:17

belld
StonesTod
24FPS

Yep, If one gets bored with others tastes they are a trifle elitist per chance? Do you get bored with liking the best music in your humble opinion? Chill.

could someone please translate this into something intelligble?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 6, 2011 02:49

StonesTod
belld
StonesTod
24FPS

could someone please translate this into something intelligble?

Not without some Rebel Yell

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 6, 2011 04:19

Alcohol

Date: February 6, 2011 05:00

'you get bored with ppl who have refined tastes?' - StonesTod

No, that's a reverse snobbery. I meant people who overdo it. Keith has the money and access to any whiskey he wants, or Sinatra, but he drinks what he prefers, and Jack Daniels and Rebel Yell simply don't cost that much. (Now, when it came to cocaine, only the Merck baby.)

I know people who think they know wine and have to aerate every sip and pay extra or they don't feel they have the best product. I've turned them on to things that taste as good and don't cost as much. I know people who made fun of me because I'd buy generic items. Then I'd show them that it was the exact same ingredients they were paying more for.

God knows I have snobbish tastes in music. I love Ellington and Beiderbecke and Artie Shaw. I guess what I'm trying to say is to strike a balance. Something doesn't have to be expensive to be good. And just because something is widely popular doesn't mean it isn't refined. I know people in the 70s who wouldn't listen to the Stones, and turned to 'noodling' jazz instead.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: February 6, 2011 06:23

Is Jack Daniels whiskey or bourbon?

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing - that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

Jack Daniels is a type of whiskey, more specifically it is considered a Tennessee whiskey, which is not actually a legal definition. It is a bourbon in every respect with the addition of filtering through sugar maple charcoal. Whiskey is any alcohol distilled from grain mash.

Bourbon is at least 51% corn and is indigenous to the United States.
Southern Ham says: For a whiskey to qualify as bourbon, the law--by international agreement--stipulates that it must be made in the USA. It must be made from at least 51% and no more than 79% Indian corn, and aged for at least two years. (Most bourbon is aged for four years or more.) Jack Daniel's and George Dickel of Tennessee are both 80% corn (their Barley and Rye percentages differ) thus taking them out of the strict "Bourbon" definition. Both distillers rather proudly point out that they are "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskies."

Regarding above, international agreements may stipulate that bourbon be at no more than 79% corn. But US law has no such restriction as can be seen at [ecfr.gpoaccess.gov]
US law does not explicitly exclude charcoal filtering prior to aging for bourbon, so legally Jack and GD probably qualify as bourbon. As mentioned above however, both distillers do not consider their whiskey to be bourbon, but rather "Tennessee whiskey".

regarding above ("not explicitly exclude charcoal filtering"), it is true that the government does not exclude charcoal filtering, but because Jack Daniels is made with 80% corn it qualifies as "Corn Whiskey"

"(ii) "Corn whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125° proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky." Thus, it is not a bourbon, under U.S. law.

Read more: [wiki.answers.com]

Date: February 6, 2011 11:31

LOL mitchflorida, that makes it all clear

-------------------

Date: February 6, 2011 16:32

24FPS
'you get bored with ppl who have refined tastes?' - StonesTod

No, that's a reverse snobbery. I meant people who overdo it. Keith has the money and access to any whiskey he wants, or Sinatra, but he drinks what he prefers, and Jack Daniels and Rebel Yell simply don't cost that much. (Now, when it came to cocaine, only the Merck baby.)

I know people who think they know wine and have to aerate every sip and pay extra or they don't feel they have the best product. I've turned them on to things that taste as good and don't cost as much. I know people who made fun of me because I'd buy generic items. Then I'd show them that it was the exact same ingredients they were paying more for.

God knows I have snobbish tastes in music. I love Ellington and Beiderbecke and Artie Shaw. I guess what I'm trying to say is to strike a balance. Something doesn't have to be expensive to be good. And just because something is widely popular doesn't mean it isn't refined. I know people in the 70s who wouldn't listen to the Stones, and turned to 'noodling' jazz instead.

i'd agree with most of this. but just because someone has refined tastes in something, doesn't make them a snob - make it just makes them more educated and knowledgeable. i love single malts - and some of my faves are in the lower price range - like laphroaig 10 or even glenmorangie. great value for the buck. but, i also have some very expensive whisk(e)ys that are worth every penny. it's not about how much you spend, it's about knowing what you like and knowing the value prop.

sounds like we have similar tastes in music, too. i listen to all the old jazz and swing cats much more than any other form of music. doesn't make me a snob, doesn't mean my tastes are good or better than anyone else's - but i would claim to know more about jazz than most music listeners....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-06 17:13 by StonesTod.

Date: February 6, 2011 16:33

mitchflorida
Is Jack Daniels whiskey or bourbon?

Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon - it's a Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel's is dripped slowly - drop-by-drop - through ten feet of firmly packed charcoal (made from hard sugar maple) before going into new charred oak barrels for aging. This special process gives Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey its rare smoothness. It's this extra step - charcoal mellowing - that makes Jack Daniel's a Tennessee Whiskey.

Jack Daniels is a type of whiskey, more specifically it is considered a Tennessee whiskey, which is not actually a legal definition. It is a bourbon in every respect with the addition of filtering through sugar maple charcoal. Whiskey is any alcohol distilled from grain mash.

Bourbon is at least 51% corn and is indigenous to the United States.
Southern Ham says: For a whiskey to qualify as bourbon, the law--by international agreement--stipulates that it must be made in the USA. It must be made from at least 51% and no more than 79% Indian corn, and aged for at least two years. (Most bourbon is aged for four years or more.) Jack Daniel's and George Dickel of Tennessee are both 80% corn (their Barley and Rye percentages differ) thus taking them out of the strict "Bourbon" definition. Both distillers rather proudly point out that they are "Tennessee Sippin' Whiskies."

Regarding above, international agreements may stipulate that bourbon be at no more than 79% corn. But US law has no such restriction as can be seen at [ecfr.gpoaccess.gov]
US law does not explicitly exclude charcoal filtering prior to aging for bourbon, so legally Jack and GD probably qualify as bourbon. As mentioned above however, both distillers do not consider their whiskey to be bourbon, but rather "Tennessee whiskey".

regarding above ("not explicitly exclude charcoal filtering"), it is true that the government does not exclude charcoal filtering, but because Jack Daniels is made with 80% corn it qualifies as "Corn Whiskey"

"(ii) "Corn whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 80 percent corn grain, and if stored in oak containers stored at not more than 125° proof in used or uncharred new oak containers and not subjected in any manner to treatment with charred wood; and also includes mixtures of such whisky." Thus, it is not a bourbon, under U.S. law.

Read more: [wiki.answers.com]

the folks in scotland and ireland will tell you JD ain't whisk(e)y at all....

Date: February 6, 2011 17:08

" I get bored with people who become wine enthusiasts, cigar aficionados, or overly concerned with single malt scotches, etc."

ooohhhhooohh you're so... so... AMERICAN!

(tongue-in-cheek post...tongue-in-cheek post...)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-06 17:10 by dcba.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 6, 2011 20:59

to digress, Billy Idol was at Mick Jagger's birthday part and saw Keith and Ronnie drinking Rebel Yell whiskey, which inspired him to write his song Rebel Yell.

I heard an old Stones Memphis concert on the radio (they played Hound Dog...so whatever year that was) and Mick refers on stage to "Rebel Yell Southern Sour Mash" and then asks the audience, "Can you all do the rebel yell real good?"

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2011 14:19

I prefer a Black Jack...

smoking smileycool smileydrinking smileycool smileysmoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1398
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home