Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones Outtake: Fast Talking - Slow Walking
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 2, 2011 21:19

I stumbled across this Goats Head Soup era outtake on youtube and think it's rather good - anyone else here familiar with it? I'll have to look it up in Martin Elliot's book.

Re: Rolling Stones Outtake: Fast Talking - Slow Walking
Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 2, 2011 22:36

yeah, I think this is one of their best outtakes ... have to admit I'm unsure of when it was done though. I don't recall Mickboy including it on his version of GHS. Could it be from B&B? I believe it's on Place Pigalle, which begins with some mid-70s tracks before hitting the Some Girls sessions.

almost wonder if they tried to shop this as a song for other artists? Hard to imagine the Stones releasing it with such a tender line as "I've found the dearest friends of all."

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:08

Amazing song!!!
Play it again and again

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:31

According to Nico's database it's an Exile outtake:

10th July - late July and 14th October - 23rd November 1971: Villefranche-sur-mer, France, Villa Nellcote, basement of KR's house.
Producer: Jimmy Miller.
Sound engineers: Glyn Johns and Andy Johns.
Incl.- Fast Talking Slow Walking (MJ/KR) -Nicky Hopkins on piano

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:40

Love this, I got this on a GHS boot outtake....so I just assumed it was from those sessions....it doesn't have an Exile feel.....it fits with the more mellow GHS vibe...plus that wahh guitar Keith is using is very GHS...ala Coming DOwn Again etc....

Posted by: django ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:49

stupidguy2
Love this, I got this on a GHS boot outtake....so I just assumed it was from those sessions....it doesn't have an Exile feel.....it fits with the more mellow GHS vibe...plus that wahh guitar Keith is using is very GHS...ala Coming DOwn Again etc....

... and if it is from the Exile period it would be definitely on the official Exile outtakes CD

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 2, 2011 23:58

Ooh, I've never heard this, and I totally love it. One of the best outtakes ever. Thanks for posting!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:02

If this track gets the nod for inclusion on any future Stones archive projects, it should hopefully be one that avoids and mucking with: wonderful musicianship, terrific feel and marvelous vocals from the Jaggster!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 00:02 by Big Al.

Date: February 3, 2011 00:28

Does anybody have a good recording of "Save Me"? From the same sessions and IMO, the best outtake from that era....

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 3, 2011 00:53

stupidguy2
Does anybody have a good recording of "Save Me"? From the same sessions and IMO, the best outtake from that era....

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:07

yes, but it also features jagger's "growl" style on the vocals, which I thought debuted on tour after GHS was released, and keith was wah-ing as late as Black and Blue. Does anyone else find it hard to accept as an Exile-period track?

Date: February 3, 2011 01:09

Wow, I'd never heard that waahh guitar on this song!
Kleermaker, 'Give Him a Great Big Kiss...'

Date: February 3, 2011 01:19

cc
yes, but it also features jagger's "growl" style on the vocals, which I thought debuted on tour after GHS was released, and keith was wah-ing as late as Black and Blue. Does anyone else find it hard to accept as an Exile-period track?

Can't be Exile era......it just doesn't sound like it. Its GHS...has to be. Not just the things you mentioned, but just the recording quality of it. Sounds slicker than pre-72 Stones...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 01:20 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 3, 2011 01:23

Same guitar effect was used on Through The Lonely Nights...great outtake. Thanks for posting.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: February 3, 2011 17:14

71Tele
Same guitar effect was used on Through The Lonely Nights...great outtake. Thanks for posting.

although here on save me it is billy preston on a keyboard.

more importantly , im looking forward to hear these songs and
you should have seen her ass and
living in the heart of love in all their glory in hi fi stereo
on the goats head soup re-isue, including some previously unknown , unbooted songs and alternate versions of 100 years ago and winter. . .

NO , NO , NO STOP IT , PLEASE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-03 17:57 by straycatblues73.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 3, 2011 19:20

I can not believe it is from the Exile period, it doesn't soun anything like it. I doubt even it is Hopkins on piano, but rather Billy Preston. But the sound and feel is much more GHS, as is the them of the song, which is much more David Bowie than anything else from the Exile period.

Mathijs

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: February 3, 2011 21:10

Does anyone have the lyrics?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 3, 2011 22:36

By the way, interesting to read about Ronnie already participating in Stones sessions dating back to 1973 recording amongst them early versions of Black Limousine, If You Can’t Rock Me and Fingerprint File.

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

From the article:
“Fast Talking Slow Walking” is the earliest outtake in this collection since it dates from the Exile On Main Street sessions from the summer and fall of 1971 at Villefranche-sur-mer, France, which also is stated in Nzentgraf.

Date: February 4, 2011 01:50

mtaylor
By the way, interesting to read about Ronnie already participating in Stones sessions dating back to 1973 recording amongst them early versions of Black Limousine, If You Can’t Rock Me and Fingerprint File.

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

From the article:
“Fast Talking Slow Walking” is the earliest outtake in this collection since it dates from the Exile On Main Street sessions from the summer and fall of 1971 at Villefranche-sur-mer, France, which also is stated in Nzentgraf.

But those collectors lists, dates sites etc...are often flawed. Stones fans have ears and technical-wise, the recording quality is closer to the GHS-era, along with Keith's wahh guitar etc....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 4, 2011 01:53

Mathijs
I can not believe it is from the Exile period, it doesn't soun anything like it. I doubt even it is Hopkins on piano, but rather Billy Preston. But the sound and feel is much more GHS, as is the them of the song, which is much more David Bowie than anything else from the Exile period.

Mathijs

If Zentgraf has listed that as an Exile outtake, he must have revised his site content recently.

Its always been widely believed and reported to come from later - usually GHS - which makes far more sense.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: February 4, 2011 10:08

ManuelStones
Does anyone have the lyrics?

Yeah, I'd like to know what's this about

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 4, 2011 14:09

stupidguy2

which GHS boot do you have it on ? I would love to download it. Please share if you like. thanks.

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: February 4, 2011 14:38

You can find it on Fast Talking (VGP 237) and also on Place Pigalle (VGP 362).

Here's a link to the track Fast Talking Slow Walking (@320kbps)

Fast Talking Slow Walking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2011-02-04 14:48 by kowalski.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 4, 2011 17:19

Sounds like a GHS outtake to me - the phase on the acoustic, the drums, the piano. Plus the lead in the background sounds right out of the Dancing With Mr D/Heartbreaker/Through The Lonely Nights skool.

If it was a IORR outtake there'd be more guitars most likely ie it would be a mess.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 4, 2011 18:39

"Time is on our side":

[www.timeisonourside.com]

has it on: THE STICKY FINGERS & EXILE SESSIONS

Posted by: marchbaby ()
Date: February 5, 2011 05:05

this song is fabulous, would love to get it on a boot

Mick's rock, I'm roll.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 5, 2011 05:46

Yeah I've heard this before. May have it on some bootleg. Def sounds like a GHS outtake. But to me,it doesn't sound like anything that deserves replacing something that's already on an album. Decent track that might be included on a outtakes release. Not much more than that.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 5, 2011 17:16

Ah but see it's one of those tracks that could be issued on a bonus album as part of a deluxe reissue.

There are plenty of tracks from GHS that would make a nice extra bonus disc. If Mick could only be bothered to do that kind of thing...

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: February 5, 2011 17:51

this is nice--i think it was from black and blue sessions? cheers y'all

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: February 5, 2011 21:33

The VGP boot lists the recording date/locale as Dynamic Sound, Kingston, Jamaica Dec. 6-12, '72, which would obviously make it a GHS outtake. That date could be wrong, of course, but it sure sounds like GHS to me....and it sure sounds great, too!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home