Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: A new live album... Anyone?
Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: January 31, 2011 18:39

But why? Most of the ABB tour sucked and as it has been pointed there's a DVD, Shine A Light, etc. If anything that tour doesn't deserve any more releases.
First it would be nice to have official releases of the 1970, 1971, 1973 and 1978 tours.

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 1, 2011 01:27

Great idea if they only promoted the bloody album properly...like play if LIVE.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 1, 2011 01:31

I am blue in the face waiting for new material. Plenty of material to release. Someone is too lazy to sift through past recordings to find all of the hidden gems.Sad really. Don't want to hear any remix material of Miss You etc.... Forget about it.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 1, 2011 06:17

EddieByword
Blueranger
Would be more interested in a live album from the Voodoo Lounge Tour. They where like hungry wolfes on that tour!

So far, only one track from the stadiums has made it onto disc: I Go Wild from the cd-single of the same name.
Especially the New Orleans '94 show imo

You want a live album of their worst attended show ever of a major tour that sounds like it was performed in an empty Super Dome? I have the boot of the last Stones show I went to, which is the one you are taking about. Mick says Heartbreaker is from Black And Blue.

That pretty much sums it up eh?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 1, 2011 10:39

No no no

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 1, 2011 11:06

>You want a live album of their worst attended show ever of a major tour that sounds like it was performed in an empty Super Dome?

Really? What were the attendance figures? That would explain why they haven't played NOLA since (a damn shame but who can blame them if what you say is true?).

Date: February 1, 2011 11:26

ManuelStones
I'm still waiting for the release of a live album from the ABB tour. Am I alone?
I enjoy a lot the live albums, especially their intros.

We have the DVD. Rip it.

Date: February 1, 2011 16:24

The attendance figures for the New Orleans Voodoo Lounge show was something along the lines of 24,000 out of 65,000 available. From what I can recall that was from the newspaper and it said it was the least attended show of the tour to that point. Although it may have been some other publication too.

U2 came through 3 years later and had even less people, something like 19,700 something.

So yeah, it's no wonder neither band has been back. Nor will they ever come back I'm quite sure.

Unless they play the arena, in which case, 19,000 something is a sell out.

Date: February 1, 2011 16:33

The NO-show I have on boot from 94 is awesome, btw. What's up in NO anyway. Tired of the big bands? winking smiley

Date: February 1, 2011 16:41

I think most people in New Orleans just don't give a shit anymore. For a while after Katrina anything sold out, mainly because people needed a break. But since it's settled down it's not such a hot place to play anymore. Going out for a music experience in New Orleans is like renting or watching a video - there's so much music to choose from.

And with that in mind, what are you going to do? Spend way too much money on a big show for a hugely commercial band that charges way too much money to hear a bunch of tired songs you hear on the radio all the time or save your money and go support your local musician and have a good time and not be broke?

Date: February 1, 2011 16:42

Seems like you got a point there smiling smiley

Date: February 1, 2011 16:46

It just seems like that's the case. Look at the Stones' history with New Orleans. They set an indoor attendance record in 1978 at the Superdome with 81,000 something people and then broke it in 1981 with 83,000 something people.

Those numbers are not accurate but close. For Steel Wheels they had...60,000 something people. And then for the next one not even 30,000?

I can see how that would make the New Orleans market look like a bad idea.

Date: February 1, 2011 16:52

ManuelStones
I'm still waiting for the release of a live album from the ABB tour.

Aside from what Gazza said, ha ha, if they would have done an actual 'from the Bang tour' live album do you think it would have had any A Bigger Bang songs on it?

My first initial response to your comment was 'They can't, they didn't play anything from the album', which of course is not true but close to the truth. Think of it this way - instead of playing something from A Bigger Bang at those two Beacon shows they played Undercover Of The Night.

What does that tell you?

However, had they done a live album from the tour it most likely would have had the tepid and incredibly bad Oh No Not You Again and/or the insane slop of Rough Justice. If they would have put any new songs on it, it would have been those two. Otherwise it would be the same old thing again.

In which case would make Live Licks a much better album 'round here suddenly.

Posted by: tipps ()
Date: February 1, 2011 17:30

No new live lp, maybe after their last/next tour, well make it a double cd please or 3.

Date: February 1, 2011 17:37

I'd take a live album of the show that When The Whip Comes Down on Sucking In The Seventies is on.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 1, 2011 17:56

nothing beats 'Shine a light' soooo...no thanks!

smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 1, 2011 18:08

The bootlegs from ABB tour have been mostly that bad that I think another live album from the tour wouldn't have been such a good idea.

Date: February 1, 2011 19:39

I've tried, once again, to watch anything from The Biggest Bang, and it just sends me to anything from Four Flicks.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 1, 2011 19:41

Anything from (especially) 1970, 1971, 1972 and (especially) 1973.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: February 1, 2011 20:03

Had we been looking back fondly at the kickass 2006 Super Bowl half-time performance where they opened with "Dangerous Beauty" and then followed with "Laugh, I Nearly Died" only to close with "Sweet Neo-Con" and proved they actually toured behind their album and believed in the quality of their current material, then yes, I'd say we need another release to complement SHINE A LIGHT to document the tour proper. As it is, count the songs on the two-disc SHINE A LIGHT in common with LIVE LICKS, STRIPPED, and FLASHPOINT and you'll agree that the obligatory tour souveneir CD is perfunctory. Glad we have SHINE A LIGHT but we don't need more of the same. It was just Greatest Hits Live 2006 to sit on the shelf alongside Greatest Hits Live 2003. It was Universal's LIVE LICKS and nothing more.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 1, 2011 20:16

DandelionPowderman
The NO-show I have on boot from 94 is awesome, btw. What's up in NO anyway. Tired of the big bands? winking smiley
Oh, so the '94 NO-show was a no-show eh ? oh well, my boot sounds pretty good too..........

Date: February 1, 2011 20:37

"No wonder they keep [you] down in the *ucking basement!"

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 1, 2011 20:49

I love if the Stones for their 50th put out a 2 lp of their live works with new live music (not released before) covering their entire
career...The Jones years, Taylor years, etc....

Date: February 1, 2011 21:39

hot stuff
I love if the Stones for their 50th put out a 2 lp of their live works with new live music (not released before) covering their entire
career...The Jones years, Taylor years, etc....

Alas, that would require Mick to "go back" and actually, I dunno, make an effort; be bothered.

And we know that with the Exile extras that is really an effort for ol' Mick "to bother", even though he had no trouble doing that for Emotional Rescue or Tattoo You...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 1, 2011 21:52

lol..What else is Mick doing?? Babysitting or reading Keith's book?

Date: February 1, 2011 22:22

In all fairness, Skipstone, Mick went back for ER and TY a few years later (less than a decade at the most for TY) vs. going back forty years for the EXILE tracks and at an age when he hasn't done much of anything for the past four years. In that respect, yes any effort is surprising.

Keith may be ready to tour, but based on the evidence of what's been released, his creative well ran pretty close to dry after 1997 so that puts most of the burden on Mick's shoulders. An album and a tour might be more than he felt like doing the last few years. Mick hasn't exactly been active as a solo artist either unless you over-estimate the effort he spent on "Charmed Life."

Date: February 1, 2011 22:30

Oh I know Rocky. My point was he was "bothered" enough back THEN to go to recorded material that wasn't finished and finish it. That's all. Mick is the one that uses that term, being bothered, and so I like to use it in regards to these kind of subjects!

I think Keith has more in him, it's just that it seems to get tossed away by Mick's solo efforts/own efforts at songwriting and seemingly determining what is going to make the album/singles.

So in Keith's defense, why bother?!

Date: February 1, 2011 22:35

You might be right about Keith. It would explain the lyrics to "Infamy" if his part was "re-written." Undeniably though neither of them can be bothered to do much of anythng. Not only is this the longest gap between tours in the past 20 years but also the longest gap between solo projects. For the past decade, they've been more interested in doing a few songs here or there than they have been in making an album - even a solo album. If the opening line of "Watching the River Flow" is left intact ("What's the matter with me? / Lately, it seems I've got nothing to say"), it's going to be a bit of a laugh.

Posted by: ManuelStones ()
Date: February 1, 2011 23:19

Fair enough. All of you have pointed out valid reason not to release a new live album. I was just thinking in having an official cd with a booklet containing pictures of the stage, pictures of the rio gig, the band, the b stage, etc.
The set list would include RJ (maybe as the opener after the BANG! Intro), ONNYA, Rain,TPIE, SOL (which after reading some reviews looked like a highlight), also Sway, She's So Cold... And well yes some warhorses.
Since I've seen them only twice, being 2006 the second time, maybe I was just wishing for, as some of you said, a souvenir.
But let's not understimate the Boys, the Out of Control live version in No Security is a pure gem.

Thanks for the input
Manuel

Date: February 2, 2011 02:36

Ahhhh. See, those songs you mentioned? Sway and She's So Cold and all of the Bang songs?

HUUUUURRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. They put those on The Biggest Bang because it's probably safe to bet that Jagger figured it wouldn't sell for shit and it takes effort to load a DVD.

And he was right.

An album, on the other hand, as a officially released live album, well, that would just be not good. Someone must've said something to deep six that. Even all the overdubbing they did for the DVDs couldn't save the shit performances of She's So Cold, She Was Hot and Sway yet alone Rain Fall Down, Rough Justice, Oh No...and whatever else, all of it.

Shine A Light was obviously two things - to show Virgin they were done and an obvious tie in with the movie - nothing more.

And ALL of that makes No Security seem like the Exile of the post-Ya-Ya's live releases.

So far the only "forward thinking" UMe has done is the Exile reissue with the extra album.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home