Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LIFE : Did Keith "write it" or just use a tape recorder ?
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:13

The writing style in the book... it's so much like his casual manner of talking. I wonder if he didn't just use a microphone and a tape recorder instead of typing it all. Someone else could have then simply transcribed his recorded reminiscences.

thoughts?

Re: LIFE : Did Keith "write it" or just use a tape recorder ?
Posted by: bustedtrousers ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:22

His co-author took what he said/wrote, and put it into a more linear, cohesive format.

The thought of Keith typing out a 500 page book is a little far-fetched, don't you think?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2011 09:27

Ask the co-writer James Fox...he is the maker of the finished book.. Keith is just talkin....I wonder if James is really intressted in music...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 28, 2011 09:35

I can't picture Keith typing too much

Date: January 28, 2011 09:38

Come On
Ask the co-writer James Fox...he is the maker of the finished book.. Keith is just talkin....I wonder if James is really intressted in music...

He is. He did a story about Keith and/or the Stones for one of the English magazines around 71. Keith remembered him, and that's partly why he got the job.

Date: January 28, 2011 09:56

The author's name on the spine could just as easily have been James Fox instead of Keith Richards. *If Fox had chosen to write it differently... as a conversation or interview with Keith. But Keith's name on the cover would certainly sell more books, duh.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:05

bustedtrousers
Come On

He is. He did a story about Keith and/or the Stones for one of the English magazines around 71. Keith remembered him, and that's partly why he got the job.

James Fox has been best friends with Keith since the mid 70's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:20

I could have write a more intressting book of Keiths musical LIFE...A good example is Quincy Troupés 'Miles'...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 28, 2011 10:23

it's not like it's ghostwritten, like other celebrity autobiographies. Fox's name is given prominent place, and they've been candid about it. I do think keith may have written certain passages, such as reflecting on letters written, as opposed to the familiar tales from interviews.

Date: January 28, 2011 10:42

Mathijs
bustedtrousers
Come On

James Fox has been best friends with Keith since the mid 70's.

Mathijs

Are you serious? I thought the story was James did the article years ago, they maybe crossed paths some since, but they weren't close.

Are they really that good of friends?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 28, 2011 12:36

3 DOWN ..........[www.iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:23

Thanks, Rockman. It reads conversational, but that's not strange that it does. Pick up any motivational books from the business world or inspirational or self-help books if you're religious or doing a 12-step or some other program and you find that most of them are pretty much transcripts of talks. There's nothing disingenuous about it as the material is what is effective and it wouldn't be peculiar if that is exactly what Keith did and then simply read over it and made alterations, edited himself or expanded sections. That's what I kept thinking when I read it.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 28, 2011 16:32

bustedtrousers
His co-author took what he said/wrote, and put it into a more linear, cohesive format...

Yes, Fox has said he followed Keith around the world, interviewing him in different places,
until they finally sat down for extended sessions together.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 28, 2011 18:08

one can take issues with the book's content--what keith has to say--but the book is of more than reasonable quality as a piece of writing.

at least for the first half or so. They seem not to have had a plan for how to end it. For some reason, the B2B sessions are lavished with detail when other periods go by in a flash. When we get to stuff like the bangers and mash recipe, the book has transformed into a compendium rather than an autobiography. Fox could be blamed for this, but it's keith's book, and where were the editors?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 28, 2011 20:00

I've got no problem with the method or the results (although trying to sort out which bits are Keith and which bits are Fox is nearly as much fun as playing who-played-what on early Stones records). But the book does feel to me as if it was finished off in a hurry.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 28, 2011 20:42

Yeah, the later sections were not as good as what went before, I agree.
The publisher may have called for the book to come in, finished. I think it was something
like two years overdue from the date first set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2142
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home