Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11
Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down
Date: July 8, 2013 20:58

WARNING!!! Unpopular Opinion: Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down And Let The Stones Roll On!

Don't misunderstand me, I love Keith Richards. He is the ultimate rock 'n roll warrior, a real battler, the Brett Favre of rock 'n roll, and my hero. But it is obvious that his time has passed. I really think this Saturday night should be it for my hero. As much as it pains me to say it, it is time for Keith to lay down his guitar and let the Stones roll on. Not saying he couldn't be involved with the writing of a new album, or that he couldn't guest (in Mick Taylor fashion) but it's (sadly) time for the Stones to look in another direction.

It was painful watching both Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali at the end of their great careers. I am feeling the same thing with Keith. He should do the noble thing and step down after Saturday night and let the mighty Stones roll on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-11 11:12 by bv.

Re: WARNING!!! Unpopular Opinion: Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down And Let The Stones Roll On!
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:01

No he shouldn't.

Next daft proposal!

Re: WARNING!!! Unpopular Opinion: Keith Richards Should Lay His Guitar Down And Let The Stones Roll On!
Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:01

Perhaps they should call Eric Clapton.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:04

Shouldn't this be part of the "Fights at Concert" thread? It looks like you're trolling to start one.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:07

It's about time Keith starts taking metal detecting seriously...

Date: July 8, 2013 21:08

Aquamarine
No he shouldn't.

Next daft proposal!

Yes he should. It would be the noble thing to do. He could still guest and do his two songs per show.

Date: July 8, 2013 21:09

BlackHat
Perhaps they should call Eric Clapton.

How would Clapton fit in with Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:09

EXCITING!! Very Popular Opionion: You And All Your Names Should Quit Posting Such Inanity And Stay Away Forever!

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:10

Post this shit some where else

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:10

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Don't misunderstand me, I love Keith Richards. He is the ultimate rock 'n roll warrior, a real battler, the Brett Favre of rock 'n roll, and my hero. But it is obvious that his time has passed. I really think this Saturday night should be it for my hero. As much as it pains me to say it, it is time for Keith to lay down his guitar and let the Stones roll on. Not saying he couldn't be involved with the writing of a new album, or that he couldn't guest (in Mick Taylor fashion) but it's (sadly) time for the Stones to look in another direction.

It was painful watching both Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali at the end of their great careers. I am feeling the same thing with Keith. He should do the noble thing and step down after Saturday night and let the mighty Stones roll on.

UNLESS YOU WERE THERE, YOUR OPINION IS JUST NEGATIVE AND NOT GROUNDED IN REALITY. He is not perfect, but he is doing FANTASTIC on this tour. Has been the entire tour. Sure some gigs are better than others, but it was that way on EVERY tour they have ever done.

Date: July 8, 2013 21:11

bam
Shouldn't this be part of the "Fights at Concert" thread? It looks like you're trolling to start one.

I guess you didn't read the part where I said Keith was my hero? I don't want what happened with Joe Namath and Muhammad Ali to happen to Keith. I love him too much.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:12

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
Aquamarine
No he shouldn't.

Next daft proposal!

Yes he should. It would be the noble thing to do. He could still guest and do his two songs per show.
If Keith wasn't playing great this tour, I might agree with you. Actually, I probably wouldn't because you can't have the Stones without Keith, but your argument would be stronger if he sucked this tour. But sorry, he kicked ass and I have more fun seeing him have fun and kick ass than anyone else on stage. The guy has been through it all and he really is the coolest rock star out there. If he can still play like this, he stays in the band:

Date: July 8, 2013 21:15

GasLightStreet
EXCITING!! Very Popular Opionion: You And All Your Names Should Quit Posting Such Inanity And Stay Away Forever!

Funny coming from a fellow (YOU) that has had multiple user names. What do they call people like you? Oh, that's right, they call them hypocrites.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:15

Never. No Richards, no Stones. Only he can nail the classic tone. He's just become more minimal (it's all about the spaces between the notes too, you know). Him, Macawber and the chiming power chords on JJF are enough to float my boat anytime.

The Evening Standard described the opening riff on SMU as like "a clapped out car wheezing into life". So what? We should celebrate age and decay and prop it up as much as we can cos we're all headed there and as long as we enjoy our work we should never be consigned to the knacker's yard.

All for one and one for all!

Date: July 8, 2013 21:18

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet

Funny coming from a fellow (YOU) that has had multiple user names. What do they call people like you? Oh, that's right, they call them hypocrites.

I have never had multiple user names, only one at a time. You have and do.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:19

Again just cool out. The man is 70 years old. Who amoung us at that age can stand carry a guitar and play in front of tens of thousands of people. Its not 1972 anymore. I saw the Stones in the 70's. Anyone remember the "heroin" years. They sounded like shit. They are not perfect. But damn good and entertaining for 70 year old guys. Just cool out people.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:19

No Keith is essential.. He is still playing good.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:21

The funniest part of this thread is the use of the word "Unpopular"... How is this an unpopular opinion at this site?

Obivously the Lone Ranger is a new user around here but should feel right at home after reading some older posts which have been voicing this (I'd say) very popular opinion around here for years.

FWIW: Although it's a popular opinion around here, I couldn't disagree with it more if I made an effort. In my hypothetical world, I'd be far more apt to check out a post-Stones KR show than I would any of the other band members (except maybe Charlie's ABCD shows).

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: July 8, 2013 21:21

flacnvinyl
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain

UNLESS YOU WERE THERE, YOUR OPINION IS JUST NEGATIVE AND NOT GROUNDED IN REALITY. He is not perfect, but he is doing FANTASTIC on this tour. Has been the entire tour. Sure some gigs are better than others, but it was that way on EVERY tour they have ever done.

So how come so many so called guitar experts around here disagree with you? And what about the intro the other night to SMU? You know it's bad when my ears cringe!

Date: July 8, 2013 21:24

Godxofxrock9
Post this shit some where else

So what do you say to all the so called guitar experts around here?

Posted by: Powerage ()

Come on, no Keith, no Stones...

Posted by: desertblues68 ()

No way man!!! He made a mistake but rectified it. Perfection is boring when lacking soul and emotion. I once fell asleep at a note perfect performance of Rachmaninoff Cello concerto, which I adore Keef showed plenty of emotion in Hyde Park. This the guy who dreamt the riff to Satisfaction. He deserves respect!

Posted by: Rick56 ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:27

WTF thought it wa 1 April for a minute

I can never get what I want

Date: July 8, 2013 21:29

GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet

Doesn't matter that you used them one at a time. The fact is that you have had multiple user names. Hypocrite!

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:29

Stones will never play again like in 72 or 73, but they play quite good in 2013, of course, some mistakes, solo less inspired, riffs less sharp, but they still rock.

Posted by: Jaggeresque ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:31

I'm a guitar player and every professional musician screws up. That why we have live performances still, cos it's dangerous and exciting precisely because it can all go wrong at any point. Perfection is boring. There's nothing more lovely in life than beauty with a flaw.

In fact, when a show goes well you rarely remember it, but the screws ups you never forget and they become a special memory which reminds us that we're humans and not machines, yet...

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:32

I can picture Bob Clearmountain sitting in the mobile truck at Hyde Park with a clipboard for him to make notes on which parts in the show need fixing later on. Show starts, 1 second later he throws his clipboard in frustration. That didn't take long, did it.

But in all seriousness, TheLoneRangerRidesAgain, it wasn't Keith's fault. It was the scarf. THE SCARF! And the lighting. and too many people were screaming. And the wind was too strong for Charlie. And various other reasons. But it wasn't Keith's fault.

Posted by: Dutchfan ()
Date: July 8, 2013 21:33

Without Keith, no Stones!! Just leave his guitar out, there's nothing left. Their music wouldn't have any power! Give him a bit of a break here! Keith is no Clapton or Knopfler! Keith plays with a certain feel and NOBODY can play like that. I agree that he doesn't play like he used to. The Stones have never been flawlees live but that's part of their charm. It's only rock and roll!

Date: July 8, 2013 21:35

mr_dja
The funniest part of this thread is the use of the word "Unpopular"... How is this an unpopular opinion at this site?

Obivously the Lone Ranger is a new user around here but should feel right at home after reading some older posts which have been voicing this (I'd say) very popular opinion around here for years.

FWIW: Although it's a popular opinion around here, I couldn't disagree with it more if I made an effort. In my hypothetical world, I'd be far more apt to check out a post-Stones KR show than I would any of the other band members (except maybe Charlie's ABCD shows).

Peace,
Mr DJA

Well, if it isn't unpopular why am I getting ripped to shreds? Could it be that most on this site think he is performing at an adequate level?

Date: July 8, 2013 21:37

TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet
TheLoneRangerRidesAgain
GasLightStreet

Doesn't matter that you used them one at a time. The fact is that you have had multiple user names. Hypocrite!

Nope.

You use several of yours at one time. My names have been ONLY one at A time ie no other name (like in your case, names) functioning at one time.

It's astounding how you insist on being so ignorant all the time.

Goto Page: 1234567891011Next
Current Page: 1 of 11

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home